NATION

PASSWORD

Will you side with the Transhumanists?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support transhumanism?

I support transhumanism.
37%
I oppose transhumanism.
15%
I don't care about transhumanism.
9%
I don't know what transhumanism is.
7%
Best of luck, Buck Rogers. In 10,000 years there will still be a version of a toilet, so take your Turing-quality sex-bot fantasies back to 4chan.
22%
Myrth
2%
Neither Support Nor Oppose. Leave me Out of it.
7%

Total votes : 203

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:01 am

Phocidaea wrote:
IshCong wrote:
No, it's not. It is making use of technology to improve the Human condition. It is not about assimilating people and I have no idea what would make you say that, aside from perhaps strawmanning.

If that's the definition, then why isn't it just "humanism"?

Because humanism is already something?
Phocidaea wrote:The "trans" implies you are trying to move past humanity to something else.

Really? That fact never occurred to us, not one single bit!
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

IshCong
Senator

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:53 am

Chinese Regions wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:
If that's the definition, then why isn't it just "humanism"?

Because humanism is already something?
Phocidaea wrote:The "trans" implies you are trying to move past humanity to something else.

Really? That fact never occurred to us, not one single bit!

I wouldn't say we're moving past Humanity. I'd say that we are changing the characteristics of Humanity.
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:57 am

I am already beyond human.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

The Mizarian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mizarian Empire » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:05 pm

IshCong wrote:No, no, no, you're doing this all wrong. You're in favor of trans-humanism. You aren't allowed to ever think about the possible consequences of trans-humanism or the ethical and legal implications of what you're proposing. You're only allowed to rush into this blindly like some rabid fanatic.

I'm going to assume that was sarcasm in this case (we really do need a sarcasm font). If it was, I was merely stating that everyone rushing to jump on the bandwagon for the new/hip idea should remember to think of long-term results of such a radical change.

If not, you clearly have no idea what your even talking about and i'll leave you to your mad ranting.
If you need help world-building, don't be afraid to send me a PM/TG. I'm generally a laid-back guy and have no problem helping if I'm not busy.
Currently Hosting:
If you have ANY QUESTIONS WHATSOEVER about your application or about an RP I am running, feel free to ask, I don't bite very often.

I keep my own political views to myself unless pressed, no offense to you dear reader. With regards to religious belief, I am an atheist. That being said, I'm open to (peacefully) discussing spiritual belief and/or scripture if you so desire.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I don't want to be more than human, I just want to utilize these technologies to live a healthy and long life. I'm happy with who I am and what I've got, I just want the ability to enjoy it for as long as possible.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Balkan Communities
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Balkan Communities » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Below I'll copypaste a post on this subject that I wrote on another forum, detailing why exactly transhumanism is unscientific and impossible.

You will often see many transhumanists try to defend their beliefs by claiming that your opposition to transhumanism is unscientific or grounded in religion. Well, you'd be surprised to see that they live in an illusion that their views are anything but scientific.

Transhumanism, with its belief that the human mind can exist outside of a human body, finds its basis in dualism, a philosophy which posits that essence (in case of humans, "soul", "mind", "spirit" or various other terms) and matter are fundamentally separate and can coexist independently of each other. This is directly taken from Descartes, who was reluctant to abandon his faith and clung to some basics of the Christian dogma, such as the existence of a soul, which he claimed was the same as the mind. Nowadays it's quite an outdated view, especially due to various scientific facts that have been discovered since - above all, the consequences of brain damage. According to Cartesian dualism, the mind is transcendental, non-material and eternal, but damage to the brain (a damage to matter) can cause various effects on a person's mind, such as ill effects to their mental well-being or a sudden change in personality, which completely debunks that theory.

The opposite of dualism is monism, which presumes that essence and matter are one and the only substance and ties the mind to biology; the priniciples of contemporary science tend towards monism. This is the reason why most of the mainstream scientific community looks down on transhumanism and transhumanists, some even going as far to call it a "cult" and a "Rapture for nerds". This isn't far from the truth, as transhumanism is an anachronistic philosophy basing itself on a purely metaphysical principle and burdened by religious legacy, and nothing but a futile attempt to avoid accepting the meaninglessness, absurdity and shortness of life.

It is impossible. Face it.
Last edited by Balkan Communities on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Balkan Communities wrote:Below I'll copypaste a post on this subject that I wrote on another forum, detailing why exactly transhumanism is unscientific and impossible.

You will often see many transhumanists try to defend their beliefs by claiming that your opposition to transhumanism is unscientific or grounded in religion. Well, you'd be surprised to see that they live in an illusion that their views are anything but scientific.

Transhumanism, with its belief that the human mind can exist outside of a human body, finds its basis in dualism, a philosophy which posits that essence (in case of humans, "soul", "mind", "spirit" or various other terms) and matter are fundamentally separate and can coexist independently of each other. This is directly taken from Descartes, who was reluctant to abandon his faith and clung to some basics of the Christian dogma, such as the existence of a soul, which he claimed was the same as the mind. Nowadays it's quite an outdated view, especially due to various scientific facts that have been discovered since - above all, the consequences of brain damage. According to Cartesian dualism, the mind is transcendental, non-material and eternal, but damage to the brain (a damage to matter) can cause various effects on a person's mind, such as ill effects to their mental well-being or a sudden change in personality, which completely debunks that theory.

The opposite of dualism is monism, which presumes that essence and matter are one and the only substance and ties the mind to biology; the priniciples of contemporary science tend towards monism. This is the reason why most of the mainstream scientific community looks down on transhumanism and transhumanists, some even going as far to call it a "cult" and a "Rapture for nerds". This isn't far from the truth, as transhumanism is an anachronistic philosophy basing itself on a purely metaphysical principle and burdened by religious legacy, and nothing but a futile attempt to avoid accepting the meaninglessness, absurdity and shortness of life.

It is impossible. Face it.

Biological transhumaism checkmate also what if i just want a strong Robot arm and heart? no mind leaving the body in any of them.
Last edited by Uiiop on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#NSTransparency

Balkan Communities
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Balkan Communities » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Uiiop wrote:
Balkan Communities wrote:Below I'll copypaste a post on this subject that I wrote on another forum, detailing why exactly transhumanism is unscientific and impossible.

Biological transhumaism checkmate also what if i just want a strong Robot arm and heart? no mind leaving the body in any of them.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with that. Still, the belief that immortality and the elimination of biological hindrances can be achieved through technology (or anything else, really) that lots of transhumanists hold is foolish.

The Territory of the Moon King
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Territory of the Moon King » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 pm

I have evolved past your silly human limitations. For I am Shiba, God of Death.

Renegade Babylonian Kings
Envoy

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Balkan Communities wrote:
Uiiop wrote:Biological transhumaism checkmate also what if i just want a strong Robot arm and heart? no mind leaving the body in any of them.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with that. Still, the belief that immortality and the elimination of biological hindrances can be achieved through technology (or anything else, really) that lots of transhumanists hold is foolish.

The emanations through my tinfoil hat indicate to me that you are in fact descended from a line of evil plotting alchemical immortals and you're only telling us these things to stop us from looking and thus threatening your lineages monopoly on ageless power.

See, its perfectly reasonable.
I am a devout follower of the Church of the Walken God. I urge you to get a copy of the Bible of the Church of the Walken God, which also includes a plea to atheists. It will change your life, presuming naturally that your life state is largely defined by your immediate exposure to Christopher Walken and his films. Be safe, and Keep Walken.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General