NATION

PASSWORD

Will you side with the Transhumanists?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support transhumanism?

I support transhumanism.
37%
I oppose transhumanism.
15%
I don't care about transhumanism.
9%
I don't know what transhumanism is.
7%
Best of luck, Buck Rogers. In 10,000 years there will still be a version of a toilet, so take your Turing-quality sex-bot fantasies back to 4chan.
22%
Myrth
2%
Neither Support Nor Oppose. Leave me Out of it.
7%

Total votes : 203

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Divair wrote:Yes, it is more challenging, but more rewarding. We can reduce those risks by openly debating and discussing them while offering solutions instead of being close minded and screaming "NO, NO, I DON'T WANT".

The inevitable problem will be genetic discrimination.

I don't think anyone wants to wish genetic discrimination on people.

But seriously, it's an inescapable future reality with genetic enhancements. We are a naturally discriminatory race, and there's no genetic switch that flips on or off to discrimination.

I think the main issue would be the transatory period, the part in which genetic manipulation is not something available to the masses. I can envision a point where if it was cheaply available it would be akin to discrimination with clothes. Of course you would still have a few nudists (or non augmented individuals) around but they would be a very minority fringe group.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Tyrants
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyrants » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Transhumanists, people in disguise!
Ladies and gentlemen, the following contest is scheduled for 1 fall, and is a Dixieland match!

Trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble trouble....

Atmos
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Atmos » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:39 pm

Tyrants wrote:Transhumanists, people in disguise!

I almost sprayed my screen with coffee. Well done.
I'm Ouroboros, and I approved this message.
Sixth Guardian of
GIRO
Brought to you and paid for by the Creative Think Tank of Atmos.
Chief Editor of the Global News Network [GNN]

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:42 pm

I would not side with anyone unless the Transhumanists were fighting Luddites, in which case I'd side with the Transhumanists.

Anyway, I only support it with extremely heavy regulation.

Atmos
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Atmos » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:50 pm

New Sapienta wrote:I would not side with anyone unless the Transhumanists were fighting Luddites, in which case I'd side with the Transhumanists.

Like in this thread? ;)
I'm Ouroboros, and I approved this message.
Sixth Guardian of
GIRO
Brought to you and paid for by the Creative Think Tank of Atmos.
Chief Editor of the Global News Network [GNN]

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:52 pm

Atmos wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:I would not side with anyone unless the Transhumanists were fighting Luddites, in which case I'd side with the Transhumanists.

Like in this thread? ;)

I'll amdit I haven't read through this thread much.

Do most people who oppose transhumanism become Luddites?

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Atmos wrote:
Like in this thread? ;)

I'll amdit I haven't read through this thread much.

No, but here (though probably not in the world at large) we become a minority... strangely.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Phocidaea wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:I'll amdit I haven't read through this thread much.

No, but here (though probably not in the world at large) we become a minority... strangely.

I can see why some people oppose transhumanism.

I just despise Luddism.

Renegade Babylonian Kings
Envoy

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Phocidaea wrote:

I can see why some people oppose transhumanism.

I just despise Luddism.

They at least are not as irretrievably despicable as Fuddists, although lately they've been vewy vewy kwyet.
I am a devout follower of the Church of the Walken God. I urge you to get a copy of the Bible of the Church of the Walken God, which also includes a plea to atheists. It will change your life, presuming naturally that your life state is largely defined by your immediate exposure to Christopher Walken and his films. Be safe, and Keep Walken.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:I can see why some people oppose transhumanism.

I just despise Luddism.

They at least are not as irretrievably despicable as Fuddists, although lately they've been vewy vewy kwyet.

Are Fuddists the oppisite of Luddites?

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:11 pm

New Sapienta wrote:

Are Fuddists the oppisite of Luddites?

Not necessarily. In some ways, they are very hostile to nature, and in fact most principally concern themselves at any given time with the ideological schism of rabbit season versus duck season.

I'm quite fascinated by these poll results. Not dismayed at all, but surprised. There is more support for transhumanism (at least we left it fairly openly defined and every vote might be advocating something quite different) than I had expected.
I am a devout follower of the Church of the Walken God. I urge you to get a copy of the Bible of the Church of the Walken God, which also includes a plea to atheists. It will change your life, presuming naturally that your life state is largely defined by your immediate exposure to Christopher Walken and his films. Be safe, and Keep Walken.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:13 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Are Fuddists the oppisite of Luddites?

Not necessarily. In some ways, they are very hostile to nature, and in fact most principally concern themselves at any given time with the ideological schism of rabbit season versus duck season.

I'm quite fascinated by these poll results. Not dismayed at all, but surprised. There is more support for transhumanism (at least we left it fairly openly defined and every vote might be advocating something quite different) than I had expected.

You mean like the poster here who is a biophobe and hates nature?

Yeah I don't like that very much either.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:19 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Renegade Babylonian Kings wrote:Not necessarily. In some ways, they are very hostile to nature, and in fact most principally concern themselves at any given time with the ideological schism of rabbit season versus duck season.

You mean like the poster here who is a biophobe and hates nature?

Biophobia seems almost like being allergic to water. I'm not sure which poster you were referring to, though, so I could be off.

I find beauty in nature. In six weeks I'm going to live alone in the Arizona desert. I'm kind of cheating because I'm bringing a radio and I have people who know my location and can bring water and supplies, call it in if I don't check in or whatever, but basically I'll be living in Desert for the purpose of isolation, of hearing nature, of having only myself and the sage desert to stitch my coyote god out of.

I'm also terrified, so maybe I'm a bit of a biophobe as well.

I think a pro-Transhumanist earlier mentioned that its possible to augment humans and still respect and value the rest of nature. In fact, it might be that advanced technology is what allows us to live peaceably with nature, I believe the fashionable term is "green" technology.

I'm saving up for a solar panel system, for example, that yield relatively little pollution aside from its own reasonably well-contained structure.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:21 pm

New Sapienta wrote:You mean like the poster here who is a biophobe and hates nature?

Biophobia seems almost like being allergic to water. I'm not sure which poster you were referring to, though, so I could be off.

I find beauty in nature. In six weeks I'm going to live alone in the Arizona desert. I'm kind of cheating because I'm bringing a radio and I have people who know my location and can bring water and supplies, call it in if I don't check in or whatever, but basically I'll be living in Desert for the purpose of isolation, of hearing nature, of having only myself and the sage desert to stitch my coyote god out of.

I think a pro-Transhumanist earlier mentioned that its possible to augment humans and still respect and value the rest of nature. In fact, it might be that advanced technology is what allows us to live peaceably with nature, I believe the fashionable term is "green" technology.

I'm saving up for a solar panel system, for example, that yield relatively little pollution aside from its own reasonably well-contained structure.

Well good luck on your trip :) , I too find beauty in nature while agreeing with some prospects of transhumanism.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:30 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Well good luck on your trip :) , I too find beauty in nature while agreeing with some prospects of transhumanism.

Right on, eh?

We don't have to turn the planet into Bynzantium Secundus to be able to have fun in bubbles around Gas giants, exist as self-aware networks of ionic liquid quantum dots strung throughout deep space.

We can come back and feed ducks. I like that.

Bafuria
Senator

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bafuria » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:32 pm

I have enhanced my ability to think, hear and move already.
It's called a computer, a phone and a car.

Nothing wrong with enhancements that make it even easier.

I am however skeptical that machines will become competitive with flesh in the near future, genetic engineering is IMO a more feasible way to enhance the human body.
Economic 3.1, Social -4.1

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:32 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Well good luck on your trip :) , I too find beauty in nature while agreeing with some prospects of transhumanism.

Right on, eh?

We don't have to turn the planet into Bynzantium Secundus to be able to have fun in bubbles around Gas giants, exist as self-aware networks of ionic liquid quantum dots strung throughout deep space.

We can come back and feed ducks. I like that.

Indeed, we don't need to wipe the earth clean to have robotic limbs.

Anyway, good luck once again.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Bafuria wrote:I have enhanced my ability to think, hear and move already.
It's called a computer, a phone and a car.

Nothing wrong with enhancements that make it even easier.

I am however skeptical that machines will become competitive with flesh in the near future, genetic engineering is IMO a more feasible way to enhance the human body.

There might be something to that. With sufficient precision and mindfulness of intercomplexity, it seems the range of things that can be done with the inherent method of systemic extrapolation already in place, albeit essentially accidentally, still has tremendous potential under more directed attentions.

So, I think you're right. Although I'm selling my car so now you're a better H+ then I am.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:35 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Indeed, we don't need to wipe the earth clean to have robotic limbs.

Anyway, good luck once again.

Grazzi. Et tu.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Victorious Decepticons wrote:First, the natural human body is the epitome of planned obsolescence. I want a body that will live and function well for as long as I want it to.

Other benefits of mechanization:

-No waking up with stiff joints
-No pains that occur for no apparent reasons\
-Damage doesn't have to hurt all the damn time, seriously, one warning signal is usually enough!
-Easy to repair! Installing a new internal part never requires dangerous surgery - just open the panel and put in a new part!
-Upgradeable RAM
-Upgradeable CPU power
-Much more damage resistant
-Does not lose strength from sitting around
-Does not start crashing from sitting around
-Lowered need for sleep
-Cancer-proof
-Better vision when desired
-Better hearing when desired

And that's just off the top of my head.
Of course, I'm thinking of the ideal machine version of me - not all of the beta options that'll be invented along the way. The ideal retains the good parts of biology, like the ability to have pleasant physical sensations, rushes of excitement and joy, and similar things - and leaves all of the bad in the trash can.

Some transhumanists don't want to mechanize, but instead want to recode the current system. While I think the latter is more feasible because it eliminates the need to figure out how to transfer the mind to a machine, I don't think it's the ideal. The ideal is easy to upgrade, resistant to breakdown, and easy to fix when something does malfunction, and you aren't going to get that if the result is another touchy, infectable, closed system that requires a damned scalpel to get into.

A few pages back, some people were assuming that people like me want to live in big cities and abhor nature. I want to add that this is totally false. I detest cities and love plants. The further out in the hick I can get, the better! I just don't have any desire to be one of the biologicals.

Mechinazation is not heritable, ergo it is ultimately useless.

How the fuck does that work?
Anyway, why do people assume ways of going about transhumanism are mutually exclusive? Why not be genetically modified AND be mechanised?
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:46 pm

New Sapienta wrote:

Well good luck on your trip :) , I too find beauty in nature while agreeing with some prospects of transhumanism.

No reason why we can't have both. I've recently grown a strong liking for nature and I'm still a transhumanist.
Last edited by Divair on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:How the fuck does that work?
Anyway, why do people assume ways of going about transhumanism are mutually exclusive? Why not be genetically modified AND be mechanised?

I think Space Marines are both, yeah?

Although I suppose that's hardly an encouraging example.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Divair wrote:

No reason why we can't have both. I've recently grown a strong liking for nature and I'm still a transhumanist.

Agreed.

I just don't like unfettered transhumanism.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Renegade Babylonian Kings » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:48 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Divair wrote:No reason why we can't have both. I've recently grown a strong liking for nature and I'm still a transhumanist.

Agreed.

Don't worry, there will be a safeword for those who don't want to be completely enhanced.

Just shout "Microsoft" loudly until your tech development slows.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:48 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Agreed.

Don't worry, there will be a safeword for those who don't want to be completely enhanced.

Just shout "Microsoft" loudly until your tech development slows.

:p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General