NATION

PASSWORD

School Shooting in Connecticut - Multiple Fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
There's already an 11% federal excise tax on ammo, beyond the sales tax.

How would you regulate/prevent people from making their own ammo, while still staying within the bounds of the Constitution?

Are people allowed to make meth or counterfeit currency?

Doesn't answer my question. What would you do to prevent people from making their own ammunition, while staying within the bounds of the Constitution?
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Tungsten rounds would suck for self defense and hunting, due to them not expanding as much as lead core rounds (since tungsten is a much harder metal than lead). They would also increase over-penetration, and be more capable of penetrating body armor.

How would you prevent people from melting and pouring their own lead rounds, especially when lead is in fishing weights, car wheel weights, car batteries, etc.

Well, shit.

Not to mention in order to effective protect your home you need to practice, and this requires a large number of rounds.

For every round fired in self defense you should have at least 1,000 rounds in practice, it is the only way to be responsible, and minimize the risk of missing the attacker and hitting a neighbor.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:36 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Guns can't stop large scale massacres when they tend to occur at schools, colleges, theaters and other places where guns aren't allowed.

Luckily, not all of them happened in gun free zones. Which I've already stated.

So this comment is totally pointless.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/opinion/frum-guns-safer/index.html

About 100,000 uses of guns in self-defense per year. Some people dispute the number, claiming it's inflated as much as 30 or 40 percent. That would still mean that uses of guns in self-defense outnumber gun-induced homicides by at least threefold.

As is your link. Like all the NRA's apologists your argument seems to rest on anecdotes, fallacies, and me just taking your word for it because you said it authoritatively. No one is talking about "self defense" incidents, which include things like home invasion. We're talking about mass shootings. Massacres.

If concealed carry is the solution to all our problems, why isn't it working? Its legal in almost every state, soon to be every state. If more guns make us safer, why is their a correlation between the number of guns in a region and the number of gun deaths? If more guns made us safer, why don't places with high gun ownership have lower gun death rates?

You keep dodging these questions. If you can't answer them just say so.
Last edited by Choronzon on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:36 am

Chronic Hypersomnia wrote:

You not allowed to, but that doesn't mean you can't.

Cutting insight there...well done! Now...any purpose to you stating the bleed'n obvious? :
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:37 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

How would you regulate/prevent people from making their own ammo, while still staying within the bounds of the Constitution?

You need ammo to use a gun, so regulations affecting ammo would be hit by the second amendment there is however no amendment that protects the right to smoke meth, or counterfeit currency ( which is basically committing fraud).
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:39 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Doesn't answer my question. What would you do to prevent people from making their own ammunition, while staying within the bounds of the Constitution?

Yes it does. You make it illegal. Much like counterfeiting and drug manufacturing is illegal. No Constitutional issues there. You want ammo...sure...have as much ammo as you can afford to buy legally.

Its not fucking rocket science right? :lol:

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:39 am

greed and death wrote:

You need ammo to use a gun, so regulations affecting ammo would be hit by the second amendment there is however no amendment that protects the right to smoke meth, or counterfeit currency ( which is basically committing fraud).

No one is saying you can't own ammo. We're talking about not allowing people to make their own. Being banned from making your own ammo doesn't mean you can't buy it. It doesn't interfere with your rights.

Unless you think price barriers interfere with your rights, in which case we can apply that argument to a ton of things and we'd have to ask why you hate capitalism.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am

Choronzon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Guns can't stop large scale massacres when they tend to occur at schools, colleges, theaters and other places where guns aren't allowed.

About 100,000 uses of guns in self-defense per year. Some people dispute the number, claiming it's inflated as much as 30 or 40 percent. That would still mean that uses of guns in self-defense outnumber gun-induced homicides by at least threefold.

As is your link. Like all the NRA's apologists your argument seems to rest on anecdotes, fallacies, and me just taking your word for it because you said it authoritatively. No one is talking about "self defense" incidents, which include things like home invasion. We're talking about mass shootings. Massacres.

If concealed carry is the solution to all our problems, why isn't it working? Its legal in almost every state, soon to be every state. If more guns make us safer, why is their a correlation between the number of guns in a region and the number of gun deaths? If more guns made us safer, why don't places with high gun ownership have lower gun death rates?

Why are rates of violent crime decreasing all around the country?

As far as large scale massacres, what was the most recent large scale massacre in the United States(let's say more than 5 deaths) that occurred somewhere that guns were allowed?
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Daelos Tribes
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Daelos Tribes » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am

Choronzon wrote:Except in some cases they did intervene, and it didn't help.

And this is the idea that Norjagen rather directly countered. In those "cherry-picked" studies, they did intervene and fewer lives were lost.

So do you have specific cases where they did intervene and it didn't help?

Right. Meaning "lol moar gunz!" doesn't work.

Concealed carry isn't preventing massacres. The "good guys" aren't preventing massacres.

...and there are multiple solutions. Perhaps the problem is more that people are refusing to take advantage of concealed carry in areas where the shootings happened.

I'll ask again.

If "Moar gunz!" worked, why doesn't it help prevent massacres in the 61 mass shooting studied? That was a completion of all mass shootings.

That's somewhat like asking "If laws worked, why is there crime?"

The answer being that no solution is going to be perfect. People will slip through the cracks.
We're a nation founded on the naturalistic fallacy. Enjoy!
(Also a Fantasy nation)
Zimmer Twins wrote:I think that as long is someone is sentient they are allowed to vote. Having kids or driving on the other hand...

Nakarisaune wrote: I am, like any respectful female, pro-abortion. Carrying a baby to term is a sin, but men support it because it puts women in pain!

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 am

greed and death wrote:

I love it when people think they are making a valid point without having read what has gone before.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:42 am

Choronzon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Well crime peaked in the early 1990's just as concealed carry started popping up in the states and is at a low right now.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

So if your definition of work is an objective measure, there is a good argument for that.
It is not really an objective measure to say its not working because of a isolated though shocking incident now is it ?
Barack Obama

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:43 am

Blackbird wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

What's the point?

The aim of regulating guns more effectively isn't to prevent every single crazy person from getting guns and shooting people, but preventing some people from doing so. The harder you make it to get a thing, and the more barriers you put to getting that thing, the fewer people get it. That's all there is to the argument. It doesn't require people to ban the means that the most crazed and determined people might use.

If 100 people want a product and could snap their fingers and have it, 100 people would get it. If we make it a little harder to get a product, say, you have to wait a couple days before you can get it for paper work to fill out, fewer people will get it. If we license people to get it, and make them subject to some physical examinations, a written test, and testing out the use of the product, even fewer people will get the product. (I'm talking about cars, of course.)

The point is: the people who do these things are certainly pretty crazy, but they're functional crazy. That is, they're not so crazy that they haven't been committed to an institution or been thrown in jail for another crime. So that means these people are generally lucid enough to function. If you put in mechanisms that cause delays and make it harder for people to get guns, then you have a lower likelihood that these generally functional disturbed people will be able to get them quickly, or without normal people seeing what's happening.

What about people who do not have the means nor the capital to jump through all of these hoops in order to acquire a firearm? Isn't this an unintended consequence in piling on more laws such as this or making ammo more expensive? If anything it is those who are poor and will abide by the law that will have to do without, and why? Are poor people less worthy of being able to defend themselves with the tools that are available today?

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 am

greed and death wrote:You need ammo to use a gun, so regulations affecting ammo would be hit by the second amendment there is however no amendment that protects the right to smoke meth, or counterfeit currency ( which is basically committing fraud).

I love it when people think they are making a valid point without having read what has gone before.

Ok. You said "Fair enough...so then just raise the sales tax on ammunition and make it illegal to make your own."

So what is your point?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:44 am

greed and death wrote:
Choronzon wrote:Luckily, not all of them happened in gun free zones. Which I've already stated.

Well crime peaked in the early 1990's just as concealed carry started popping up in the states and is at a low right now.

So if your definition of work is an objective measure, there is a good argument for that.
It is not really an objective measure to say its not working because of a isolated though shocking incident now is it ?

Since those facts don't support his argument, they are probably NRA propaganda. :p

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:45 am

greed and death wrote:
Choronzon wrote:Luckily, not all of them happened in gun free zones. Which I've already stated.

Concealed weapons is the reason for the decline?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 am

greed and death wrote:

Because correlation is causation, amiright?
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Why are rates of violent crime decreasing all around the country?

Gun ownership is also decreasing.

I'll ask again. If more guns make us safer why is there a correlation between rates of gun ownership in an area and gun deaths in that same area?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:47 am

Choronzon wrote:
greed and death wrote:You need ammo to use a gun, so regulations affecting ammo would be hit by the second amendment there is however no amendment that protects the right to smoke meth, or counterfeit currency ( which is basically committing fraud).

No one is saying you can't own ammo. We're talking about not allowing people to make their own. Being banned from making your own ammo doesn't mean you can't buy it. It doesn't interfere with your rights.

Unless you think price barriers interfere with your rights, in which case we can apply that argument to a ton of things and we'd have to ask why you hate capitalism.

Yes artificially created price barriers can interfere with rights, such as the banning of self manufacture ammo.
Remember the discussion over voting rights ? Cost of getting an ID to vote etc, interfered with the right to vote.

There is of course reasonable tax and regulation on ammo, but when ban the self manufacture of ammo solely with the intention of making ammo more expensive and less available then you cross a line unreasonable regulation that can not pass constitutional muster.
Barack Obama

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Since those facts don't support his argument, they are probably NRA propaganda. :p

Says the guy who has posted nothing but fallacies and red haring. Really, you're awfully cocky for someone who hasn't contributed anything beyond claiming to know the intent of the Second Amendment.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 am

The Black Forrest wrote:

Ok. You said "Fair enough...so then just raise the sales tax on ammunition and make it illegal to make your own."

So what is your point?

No don't make reloading illegal, I do quite a bit of shooting, and reloading helps me save a ton of money, money that I can put toward buying other toys. The other thing I like about reloading my own ammo is the learning, the R&D of making a better round, and the fact that I made the ammo I am shooting.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
greed and death wrote:

he's actually asking a slightly different question.

"assuming the above is true, whats the explaination for these outliers?"
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:49 am

greed and death wrote:
Yes artificially created price barriers can interfere with rights, such as the banning of self manufacture ammo.

:rofl:

I lack health insurance. I need amphetamines. The price is too high. To not let me make meth is infringing on my rights.
Last edited by Choronzon on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:50 am

You know what, I concede. The gun lobby is right. If we all had guns, then there would be no crime. No murder. If every redneck and lunatic was allowed to bring their boomstick out in public then every time one of those rednecks or lunatics tried to shoot a bunch of people, some heroic Bruce Willis type figure will save us, because the world is just like movies and video games. Please ignore the facts, numbers and statistics. Ignore the fact that places with high rates of gun ownership have higher rates of gun deaths. Numbers and facts are inherantly biased against our Second Amendment rights. They hate freedom.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:50 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Yes it does. You make it illegal. Much like counterfeiting and drug manufacturing is illegal. No Constitutional issues there. You want ammo...sure...have as much ammo as you can afford to buy legally.

Its not fucking rocket science right? :lol:

WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM MAKING THEIR OWN AMMUNITION, WHILE STAYING WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF THE CONSTITUTION?

You've stated no plan to identify people making their own ammunition, or people possessing reloading equipment/materials, etc.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:50 am

Choronzon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Why are rates of violent crime decreasing all around the country?

Gun ownership is also decreasing.

I'll ask again. If more guns make us safer why is there a correlation between rates of gun ownership in an area and gun deaths in that same area?

It hasn't been decreasing, It's been fluctuating. It was lower as recently as 2000. What is your source showing that gun ownership rates are higher in areas with high gun crime?

Hunter S. Thompson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General