NATION

PASSWORD

School Shooting in Connecticut - Multiple Fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:01 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I guess, but it's a happier subject than 20 dead six- and seven-year-olds.

Wasn't it a kindergarten class?

No. The names and ages are posted on the NY Times site. They were all either six or seven and they were all shot more than once. Merry Christmas.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

No. The names and ages are posted on the NY Times site. They were all either six or seven and they were all shot more than once. Merry Christmas.

:( I wish I could reincarnate him and turn him over to the parents.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Norjagen wrote:
Choronzon wrote:Circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because circular reasoning works because....

I prefer to think that my reasoning is actually in the form of an ellipse.

Focus, man! FOCUS!
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:03 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I guess, but it's a happier subject than 20 dead six- and seven-year-olds.

First grade.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:03 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No. The names and ages are posted on the NY Times site. They were all either six or seven and they were all shot more than once. Merry Christmas.

Yeah.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:04 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No. The names and ages are posted on the NY Times site. They were all either six or seven and they were all shot more than once. Merry Christmas.

Given the power to raise people from the dead, wouldn't you rather reincarnate the victims?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Tsaraine wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Given the power to raise people from the dead, wouldn't you rather reincarnate the victims?

Them, too.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:05 pm

Tsaraine wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Indeed.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Tsaraine wrote:

Indeed.

It would have been nice to have the 14th of December known as the Day Some Iraqi Guy Threw His Shoes At President Bush.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Indeed.

It would have been nice to have the 14th of December known as the Day Some Iraqi Guy Threw His Shoes At President Bush.

Whatever happened to him? He didn't get shot on sight which was a disapointment.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It would have been nice to have the 14th of December known as the Day Some Iraqi Guy Threw His Shoes At President Bush.

Whatever happened to him? He didn't get shot on sight which was a disapointment.

Following the incident, Al-Zaidi was "embraced around the Arab world"[8] and was represented by the head of the Iraqi Bar Association at trial.[9] On February 20, 2009, al-Zaidi received a 90-minute trial by the Central Criminal Court of Iraq.[10] On March 12, 2009, he was sentenced to three years in prison for assaulting a foreign head of state during an official visit. On April 7 the sentence was reduced from three years to one year.[11] He was released on 15 September 2009 for good behavior, after serving nine months of the sentence.[12] After his release, Al-Zaidi was treated for injuries and later said he planned to "build orphanages, a children's hospital, and medical and orthopaedic centres offering free treatment and manned by Iraqi doctors and medical staff."[13]

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

Following the incident, Al-Zaidi was "embraced around the Arab world"[8] and was represented by the head of the Iraqi Bar Association at trial.[9] On February 20, 2009, al-Zaidi received a 90-minute trial by the Central Criminal Court of Iraq.[10] On March 12, 2009, he was sentenced to three years in prison for assaulting a foreign head of state during an official visit. On April 7 the sentence was reduced from three years to one year.[11] He was released on 15 September 2009 for good behavior, after serving nine months of the sentence.[12] After his release, Al-Zaidi was treated for injuries and later said he planned to "build orphanages, a children's hospital, and medical and orthopaedic centres offering free treatment and manned by Iraqi doctors and medical staff."[13]

Al-Zaidi 2016.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Following the incident, Al-Zaidi was "embraced around the Arab world"[8] and was represented by the head of the Iraqi Bar Association at trial.[9] On February 20, 2009, al-Zaidi received a 90-minute trial by the Central Criminal Court of Iraq.[10] On March 12, 2009, he was sentenced to three years in prison for assaulting a foreign head of state during an official visit. On April 7 the sentence was reduced from three years to one year.[11] He was released on 15 September 2009 for good behavior, after serving nine months of the sentence.[12] After his release, Al-Zaidi was treated for injuries and later said he planned to "build orphanages, a children's hospital, and medical and orthopaedic centres offering free treatment and manned by Iraqi doctors and medical staff."[13]

Al-Zaidi 2016.

:lol: Sadly, he's not eligible. Natural-born citizen and all that, don't you know.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:16 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It would have been nice to have the 14th of December known as the Day Some Iraqi Guy Threw His Shoes At President Bush.

Not shot on sight is a disappointment?
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norjagen
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norjagen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Norjagen wrote:I prefer to think that my reasoning is actually in the form of an ellipse.

Focus, man! FOCUS!

Foci, actually. And I agree.. This is an absolute tragedy. And it's a shame he offed himself, for multiple reasons. Not the least of which is that his prosecution may have brought some sense of closure to the whole thing. aside from the political bickering that's going to follow this, there's nothing left. No trial, no punishment.. It ended on his own terms, and it makes a sickening event seem even moreso.

Also, I think we should take all steps possible to make sure psychopaths don't get their hands on shoes.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The shoe is the pie of the Middle East. The poor bastards. :(

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

Shot on sight is a disappointment?

For some people. And that's part of the problem in this country. It's like the guy pages ago - yesterday - who said, in effect, "If the teachers had bee armed, Adam Lanza might have only killed 2 to 5 kids." Gah.

EDIT: Stupid damned typo!
Last edited by Farnhamia on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
Al-Zaidi 2016.

:lol: Sadly, he's not eligible. Natural-born citizen and all that, don't you know.

A pity. Popularist actions and anti-G W Bush. Exactly what got Obama elected the first time, right?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

The fact he didn't get shot and lived to insult the Commander and chief of the Nation representing the Military currently occupying it?

I mean sure political shitstorm for executing the fellow but acceptable political shitstorm in my book; Throwing a shoe honestly?

His security detail should have vented his damn head
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Shot on sight is a disappointment?

For some people. And that's part of the problem in this country. It's like the guy pages ago - yesterday - who said, in effect, "If the teachers had bee armed, Adam Lanza might have only killed 2 to 5 kids." Gah.

I was about to say, he did kill two to fifty kids.

Being armed not only ups the situation but provides no protection whatsoever from an assailant one cannot see.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Ahnilunia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahnilunia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:20 pm

In addition to my pity for all the victims - and their loved ones - involved in this tragedy, I can quite imagine this happening at my own school. The types, the personalities; a lot of them seem ready to explode at any minute, if the right buttons are pushed by the wrong people. I can't really tell if this is an issue of gun control, psychological health, or both, but I have a feeling this'll happen somewhere and sometime again.
AHNILUNIA ~ UNDERGOING MAJOR CHANGES
IC Nation DOES NOT Reflect ANY Of My Views.

The Consortium Of The Great Rhombus - Map Of Ahnilunia - NS Economy
Qazox: Great, there's a leak in our organization. You lucked out this time, Earth. *Shakes Fist At Ahnilunia*

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

The fact he didn't get shot and lived to insult the Commander and chief of the Nation representing the Military currently occupying it?

I mean sure political shitstorm for executing the fellow but acceptable political shitstorm in my book; Throwing a shoe honestly?

I would think any form of protest against a head of state is legal.

For the ME the bottom of a shoe is a rather terrible insult.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:22 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

A great way to improve relations with a populace that already doesn't want you there.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
Norjagen wrote:Exactly. Now you're getting the picture.

The picture I'm getting is that you're a psychotic lunatic who we ought to keep guns away from at any cost, because he has no problem with shooting a dozen people dead just in case they didn't like him.

Which, given you're trying to argue for wide availability of guns, is probably not what you wanted.

Chill out with that 'psychotic lunatic' stuff. You've got a clean record, so we'll call it an unofficial warning.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

So if I had said during that time, "Fuck George W. Bush," I should have been shot?

Because I'm pretty sure I said that one or twenty times.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Norjagen
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norjagen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Forsher wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:For some people. And that's part of the problem in this country. It's like the guy pages ago - yesterday - who said, in effect, "If the teachers had bee armed, Adam Lanza might have only killed 2 to 5 kids." Gah.

I was about to say, he did kill two to fifty kids.

Being armed not only ups the situation but provides no protection whatsoever from an assailant one cannot see.

If I might interject.. Not making a case either way, but that's the reasoning behind concealed carry as opposed to open carry, and why many people prefer to carry concealed, even when they don't have to. You don't do anyone any good dead, and if a psycho has cased an area beforehand, he's going to single-out threats first. If you're carrying openly, you're likely to get blindsided right when things start. A concealed carrier is just another member of a startled crowd, instead of a priority target. In theory, that gives them a bit of time to assess the situation, and ensures that the assailant is the one laying their cards on the table first.
Just an interesting bit of info, pertinent to the topic. And, as I said, that's just theory.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: In other words, it makes it more likely that you'll see the bad guy before he sees you.
Last edited by Norjagen on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The shoe is the pie of the Middle East. The poor bastards. :(

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General