NATION

PASSWORD

School Shooting in Connecticut - Multiple Fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Choronzon wrote:
The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
I have. But I'm not American, so I'm allowed to.

To b e honest, even Americans are allowed to. Just because something is the law doesn't mean it cannot be changed. Just because its in the Constitution doesn't mean it cannot be changed.

Any sort of appeal to the Second Amendment during this discussion is a cop-out and an appeal to authority.

You can try suggesting an across-the-board ban but be prepared for vilification that will curl your hair.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Do both. Mental health deals with mental health. Restricting guns deals with different issues.

Yes it does. Neither gun control nor mental health is strictly germane to the thread subject. Both are imo relevant, so of course they will come together.

They're quite intimately linked by Prevention. It's quite right and decent to ask, when a tragedy occurs, "how can we prevent things like this happening in the future?"

If I have my Agatha Christie right, motive and means are both relevant to that.

I'm not sure how this is relevant to my post? Perhaps you meant to reply to the post saying guns and stuff aren't the topic of the thread?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Because that's the purpose of the Second Amendment.

It was. I wonder how many people these days think of themselves as channeling the characters in "Red Dawn"? The original, I mean, not the crap remake.

Now? Hell they started channeling when the movie first came out. I remember all these wankers walking around in camo pants and or military berets.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Choronzon wrote:To b e honest, even Americans are allowed to. Just because something is the law doesn't mean it cannot be changed. Just because its in the Constitution doesn't mean it cannot be changed.

Any sort of appeal to the Second Amendment during this discussion is a cop-out and an appeal to authority.

You can try suggesting an across-the-board ban but be prepared for vilification that will curl your hair.

I wasn't even suggesting banning guns. I out and out said I supported gun ownership and concealed carry- which is why LG's appeal to the Second Amendment and the Supreme Court is totally asinine.

I just don't think concealed carry is the solution, nor do I think the status quo is working.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
The discussion can continue. But let's not pretend both sides of that discussion are equally valid. it's like the difference between Evolution and Young Earth Creationism. The argument for both can be made, but they are not equally valid positions.

The only "invalid" argument in light of the second amendment would be an argument for banning all guns. I don't think anyone has made that argument.

Neither ruling says anything about assault weapons, nor does it say anything about high capacity magazines.

I'm curious what point you think you've proven beyond "THE SUPREME COURT SAYS WE CAN HAVE GUNS!" Well, um, no shit. Thanks Captain Obvious. We're talking about how far that goes. Thats where the debate is. A debate you are not contributing to, beyond claiming to know the will and intent of the founders.

That's not what I said, and that's not what the Supreme Cort said. What i said is that the purpose of the Second Amendment is to encourage the public to train in firearms for the needs of the Militia. It isn't about hunting. It isn't about personal self-defense. It's about defending the public interest from violent usurpation. If you ban the styles of small arms the military uses, you are violating the intent of the Second Amendment.

HOWEVER, I am not entirely convinced that a high-capacity semiautomatic pistol is appropriate for self-defense. Perhaps we should limit the kinds of firearms that can be carried for personal defense. But to ban ownership of those styles of small arms is against the intent of the Second Amendment. The Supreme Court defined the intent of the Second Amendment and defended that definition against the actions of the city of Chicago.

We can argue whether people are using the right firearms for the right purposes, but you can only expect so much without a new Constitutional Amendment.
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It was. I wonder how many people these days think of themselves as channeling the characters in "Red Dawn"? The original, I mean, not the crap remake.

Now? Hell they started channeling when the movie first came out. I remember all these wankers walking around in camo pants and or military berets.

-Wears camo pants
-Has never seen either "Red Dawn"

Too poor to afford jeans Represent!
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

-Wears camo pants

If you can afford camo pants you can afford jeans.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Choronzon wrote:The only "invalid" argument in light of the second amendment would be an argument for banning all guns. I don't think anyone has made that argument.

Neither ruling says anything about assault weapons, nor does it say anything about high capacity magazines.

I'm curious what point you think you've proven beyond "THE SUPREME COURT SAYS WE CAN HAVE GUNS!" Well, um, no shit. Thanks Captain Obvious. We're talking about how far that goes. Thats where the debate is. A debate you are not contributing to, beyond claiming to know the will and intent of the founders.

That's not what I said, and that's not what the Supreme Cort said. What i said is that the purpose of the Second AMendment is to encourage the public to train in firearms for the needs of the Militia. It isn't about hunting. It isn't about personal self-defense. It's about defending the public interest from violent usurpation. If you ban the styles of small arms the military uses, you are violating the intent of the First Amendment.

HOWEVER, I am not entirely convinced that a high-capacity semiautomatic pistol is appropriate for self-defense. Perhaps we should limit the kinds fo firearms that can be carried for personal defense. But to ban ownership of those styles of small arms is against the intent of the Second Amendment. The SUpreme Court defined the intent of the Second AMendment and defended that definition against the actions of the city of Chicago.

We can argue whether people are using the right firearms for the right purposes, but you can only expect so much without a new Constitutional Amendment.

♪ One of these is not like the other ♪
Last edited by Gauntleted Fist on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Norjagen wrote:Thank goodness for that. I came here for a debate, and you were unable to deliver anything more than condescending remarks. Same time tomorrow? :hug:

Only if you learn to read data before then.

Didn't you say you were done?
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:[BUT we DO limit what types of weapons can be carried in public.

Which would do dick to prevent massacres, because if you're going to shoot a bunch of people you're not going to care if you broke the law to get your weapon from point A to point B.

The problem is the ease with which these weapons are acquired, not that people can carry them places. Your "solution" is absurd, and would solve nothing.
But banning those weapons outright are against the intent of the Second Amendment.

Alright Scalia, please demonstrate that the "intent" of the Second Amendment is to allow personal ownership of any kind of firearm.

There's no way this asshole could have legally acquired the pistols he used in this tragedy. In addition to being under the legal minimum age to purchase them, he didn't have either a CT Pistol Permit or an Eligibility Certificate (which would only allow you to purchase one and bring it straight home), which is one of the 2 things needed in order to purchase a pistol or revolver.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:46 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Choronzon wrote:Only if you learn to read data before then.

Didn't you say you were done?

No one is ever done here.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:-Wears camo pants

If you can afford camo pants you can afford jeans.

I have never found jeans for $8 a pair.
I'm General Patton.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Norjagen wrote:
I would just like to weigh in and say that you hit the nail on the head. I have an FN FAL that I keep on-hand, ready to go. I take it out and shoot it frequently, to make sure both the rifle and I are up to par. I would never take it hunting, and it's not something I'd defend my home with. (Over penetration of walls and close neighbors.) It is a gun that was built with one purpose: fighting wars. That said, I have no need for it, and hope I never need it, but if I DO, it's there.

So you have a military grade weapon that you admit is not for self defense, nor is it for hunting. Its for killing people efficiently and easily. That is its sole purpose.

And we should let you own weapons like this because.......?

Target shooting is what I use my AR15 for. It sounds like that's what he uses hit FAL for.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

-Wears camo pants

Talking then lad. They were wearing them because the image they thought they would achieve.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
That's not what I said, and that's not what the Supreme Cort said. What i said is that the purpose of the Second AMendment is to encourage the public to train in firearms for the needs of the Militia. It isn't about hunting. It isn't about personal self-defense. It's about defending the public interest from violent usurpation. If you ban the styles of small arms the military uses, you are violating the intent of the First Amendment.

HOWEVER, I am not entirely convinced that a high-capacity semiautomatic pistol is appropriate for self-defense. Perhaps we should limit the kinds fo firearms that can be carried for personal defense. But to ban ownership of those styles of small arms is against the intent of the Second Amendment. The SUpreme Court defined the intent of the Second AMendment and defended that definition against the actions of the city of Chicago.

♪ One of these is not like the other ♪

*pushes you into the mud* Thanks. :blush:
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:50 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:-Wears camo pants

Talking then lad. They were wearing them because the image they thought they would achieve.

What ponces.
I'm General Patton.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:*pushes you into the mud* Thanks. :blush:

Anytime.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Farnhamia wrote:If you can afford camo pants you can afford jeans.

I have never found jeans for $8 a pair.

It depends on whether you care how many people have worn them before.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Norstal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Concurrent discussions, sure, but people here have wanted to take the focus off the ridiculous number of firearms in this country and their easy availability and move it to the mental health discussion instead of talking about both. One gun per person in the US? Seriously?

The number of guns doesn't seem to matter. A lot of Americans treat guns as heirloom; a majority of these firearms would never see the light of day. There's also differences with gun types. Worrying about the number of guns is like worrying about the national debt without understanding what it is. People worry about it just because it's a large number.

My major concern is the availability of ammunition. No one would treat bullets as heirloom (well maybe some, but you wouldn't fire it). I don't know how effective it is to control ammunition, but as LG pointed out, banning firearms outright would just be silly. I for one don't see why gun owners needs anything but surplus or junk munitions.

Or they could just make their own, like many do now (some do it because it's cheaper than store bought ammo, and some do it to make sure their ammo meets their specific needs/specifications).

BTW, surplus military ammo sucks for hunting, since surplus military ammo is FMJ, which doesn't expand as much as hollow point or soft point ammo.
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norjagen
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norjagen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Choronzon wrote:So you have a military grade weapon that you admit is not for self defense, nor is it for hunting. Its for killing people efficiently and easily. That is its sole purpose.

And we should let you own weapons like this because.......?

Target shooting is what I use my AR15 for. It sounds like that's what he uses hit FAL for.

More or less. It's also my go-to gun, should a major crisis befall the area I live in, be it a severe natural disaster, violent looters, rioting... Any case in which I would require a reliable form of defense, outside of what a handgun can provide. That said, I hope I never need to use if for that. In the time being, it's a target rifle, and it's one that's fun to shoot, with lots of history. (Mine was made in Rhodesia, and most likely fought in the Rhodesian war, for instance.)
Last edited by Norjagen on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The shoe is the pie of the Middle East. The poor bastards. :(

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:I have never found jeans for $8 a pair.

It depends on whether you care how many people have worn them before.

Fair enough. I probably could find cheaper ones in secondhand shops, but I'll just stick with cheap new pants that look a bit tacky until I have to look nice for something. *shrug*

Anyhow, I guess camo pants are kinda far off the point of this thread aren't they?
I'm General Patton.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Farnhamia wrote:It depends on whether you care how many people have worn them before.

Fair enough. I probably could find cheaper ones in secondhand shops, but I'll just stick with cheap new pants that look a bit tacky until I have to look nice for something. *shrug*

Anyhow, I guess camo pants are kinda far off the point of this thread aren't they?

I guess, but it's a happier subject than 20 dead six- and seven-year-olds.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:58 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

What ponces.

:D indeed.

I just remembered in one ambush scene hearing somebody muttering "whoa this was just like Viet Nam!" I looked back and he had to have been 13 or 14.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:Fair enough. I probably could find cheaper ones in secondhand shops, but I'll just stick with cheap new pants that look a bit tacky until I have to look nice for something. *shrug*

I guess, but it's a happier subject than 20 dead six- and seven-year-olds.

Wasn't it a kindergarten class?

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Choronzon wrote:To b e honest, even Americans are allowed to. Just because something is the law doesn't mean it cannot be changed. Just because its in the Constitution doesn't mean it cannot be changed.

To qualify my statement, though, I don't think that would be a practical or even possible (given public opinion and the sheer supply of them) undertaking for the United States.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General