NATION

PASSWORD

School Shooting in Connecticut - Multiple Fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:
The fact he didn't get shot and lived to insult the Commander and chief of the Nation representing the Military currently occupying it?

I mean sure political shitstorm for executing the fellow but acceptable political shitstorm in my book; Throwing a shoe honestly?

His security detail should have vented his damn head

So if I had said during that time, "Fuck George W. Bush," I should have been shot?

Because I'm pretty sure I said that one or twenty times.

No, you're white. It's okay.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Norjagen wrote:
Forsher wrote:
I was about to say, he did kill two to fifty kids.

Being armed not only ups the situation but provides no protection whatsoever from an assailant one cannot see.

If I might interject.. Not making a case either way, but that's the reasoning behind concealed carry as opposed to open carry, and why many people prefer to carry concealed, even when they don't have to. You don't do anyone any good dead, and if a psycho has cased an area beforehand, he's going to single-out threats first. If you're carrying openly, you're likely to get blindsided right when things start. A concealed carrier is just another member of a startled crowd, instead of a priority target. In theory, that gives them a bit of time to assess the situation, and ensures that the assailant is the one laying their cards on the table first.
Just an interesting bit of info, pertinent to the topic. And, as I said, that's just theory.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: In other words, it makes it more likely that you'll see the bad guy before he sees you.

It won't matter much. How many people are ready to draw down and drop somebody who enters a room shooting?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:28 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Norjagen wrote:If I might interject.. Not making a case either way, but that's the reasoning behind concealed carry as opposed to open carry, and why many people prefer to carry concealed, even when they don't have to. You don't do anyone any good dead, and if a psycho has cased an area beforehand, he's going to single-out threats first. If you're carrying openly, you're likely to get blindsided right when things start. A concealed carrier is just another member of a startled crowd, instead of a priority target. In theory, that gives them a bit of time to assess the situation, and ensures that the assailant is the one laying their cards on the table first.
Just an interesting bit of info, pertinent to the topic. And, as I said, that's just theory.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: In other words, it makes it more likely that you'll see the bad guy before he sees you.

It won't matter much. How many people are ready to draw down and drop somebody who enters a room shooting?

If I searched this thread I bet I could find you half a dozen.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:
The fact he didn't get shot and lived to insult the Commander and chief of the Nation representing the Military currently occupying it?

I mean sure political shitstorm for executing the fellow but acceptable political shitstorm in my book; Throwing a shoe honestly?

His security detail should have vented his damn head

I would think any form of protest against a head of state is legal.

For the ME the bottom of a shoe is a rather terrible insult.

Protesting or assault; It depends on how you view i view it as some grease ball trying to Harm the Head of State.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Norjagen wrote:
Forsher wrote:
I was about to say, he did kill two to fifty kids.

Being armed not only ups the situation but provides no protection whatsoever from an assailant one cannot see.

If I might interject.. Not making a case either way, but that's the reasoning behind concealed carry as opposed to open carry, and why many people prefer to carry concealed, even when they don't have to. You don't do anyone any good dead, and if a psycho has cased an area beforehand, he's going to single-out threats first. If you're carrying openly, you're likely to get blindsided right when things start. A concealed carrier is just another member of a startled crowd, instead of a priority target. In theory, that gives them a bit of time to assess the situation, and ensures that the assailant is the one laying their cards on the table first.

I doubt it. Say he's on a roof and taking pot shots. Now what?

He's hidden himself in a bush, fires a few rounds and walks off.

He's also got a concealed weapon and shoots you in the back as you leave a building and walks off into the night.

Blah, blah, blah there are a lot of scenarios. Plus, even in the States, you need a permit for a concealed weapon. I've seen Boston Legal.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Protesting or assault; It depends on how you view i view it as some grease ball trying to Harm the Head of State.

As an American, I am embarrassed by this ass-hattery.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

If I searched this thread I bet I could find you half a dozen.

What's the phrase, Internet Tough Guys?

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Forsher wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:If I searched this thread I bet I could find you half a dozen.

Oh, wow. I've had absolutely no idea what 'ITG' meant until now.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

*shrugs* A head of state probably shouldn't be in a country he just invaded.

I view it a legitimate protest. At worst, the shrub would have had a booboo.

But let's not go on a tangent......
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:32 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
Forsher wrote:

They have an acronym for it now? Oh dear, I'm behind the times.
Last edited by Forsher on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:33 pm

The Joseon Dynasty wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Technically, an ITG threatens you for disagreeing with him, but I believe it applies.

Norjagen
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norjagen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:34 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Norjagen wrote:If I might interject.. Not making a case either way, but that's the reasoning behind concealed carry as opposed to open carry, and why many people prefer to carry concealed, even when they don't have to. You don't do anyone any good dead, and if a psycho has cased an area beforehand, he's going to single-out threats first. If you're carrying openly, you're likely to get blindsided right when things start. A concealed carrier is just another member of a startled crowd, instead of a priority target. In theory, that gives them a bit of time to assess the situation, and ensures that the assailant is the one laying their cards on the table first.

Not the majority, for sure. The same sort of people who will lock the children under their care in a closet, and give their life to misdirect said shooter, like one of the teachers in Connecticut. Believe it or not, there are people who ask those questions every single day; "Do I really have what it takes to carry? Do I have the mindset and the confidence to make that sort of judgement call?"

Every bullet that leaves a gun in those situations has a lawyer attached to it, and the potential to do unnecessary harm. The man who drew down on the Oregon shooter didn't take the shot, because there were people moving in the background that he may have hit, had he fired. He showed remarkable judgement, and didn't take actions that would have constituted an unnecessary risk to innocents. Even though he wasn't able to drop the assailant, his reasons for not doing so were responsible ones, and he made the right choice. (It's also been stated that the shooter offed himself when he saw the CCW holder draw on him, but that's only hearsay)

Cases like that are why I don't get the "Firing wildly, bullets going everywhere" argument against concealed carriers. We're talking about people who are placing their entire future potentially in the hands of lawyers and courts, even if they're justified in pulling the trigger. There's a lot of self-scrutiny involved, and lots of judgement calls, of the same sorts LEOs encounter every day. They're among the most cautious and responsible gun owners you're likely to ever meet, and they take their choice very seriously.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The shoe is the pie of the Middle East. The poor bastards. :(

Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

And this guy, with his eagerness to shoot al-Zaidi, and exuberant displays of Nazi fan-boy-ism, wonders why I have an issue with him collecting an arsenal.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

American Nexus
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby American Nexus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:39 pm

Divair wrote:It seems like there are a lot of school shootings in the US. What's up with that?

there are just plain poor security standards here in America (I will be leaving this wretched land for Melbourne, Australia in a few years)

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No. The names and ages are posted on the NY Times site. They were all either six or seven and they were all shot more than once. Merry Christmas.

:( I wish I could reincarnate him and turn him over to the parents.

If you had the power to resurrect people, why wouldn't you resurrect all the victims? I'm sure the parents would rather have their children back.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
:( I wish I could reincarnate him and turn him over to the parents.

If you had the power to resurrect people, why wouldn't you resurrect all the victims? I'm sure the parents would rather have their children back.

Look back a page.

Norjagen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Norjagen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Forsher wrote:

He's also got a concealed weapon and shoots you in the back as you leave a building and walks off into the night.

Blah, blah, blah there are a lot of scenarios. Plus, even in the States, you need a permit for a concealed weapon. I've seen Boston Legal.

Yes, you do. And there is training involved in receiving said permit, in almost every state. I'm not saying that a carrier will always be in a position to respond. I'm saying that having the weapon concealed means that you can blend in with the crowd and hopefully not be targeted from the get go. Then, if an opportunity to end the situation DOES present itself, you're equipped to deal with it. Say a man breaks into an office building and starts shooting people. You grab your gun out of your desk, and get beneath it. When he reaches your cubicle, you're ready. It's impossible to predict that first shot. All too often, these things go something like this.. "Oh my god! That man just shot that guy!" "Oh my god! he's just going to keep shooting people!" At that point, you're finally able to react. All you can do is hope that you're not being targeted at the outset, and prepare yourself, both practically and mentally, to react in that situation, should (god forbid) you ever find yourself in such a hellish spot. If someone's going to snipe you from a roof, and they're after you specifically, you'll never see it coming. That's a harsh truth, but it's there. That doesn't make carrying useless for defense.
Last edited by Norjagen on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:The shoe is the pie of the Middle East. The poor bastards. :(

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Norjagen wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Yes, you do. And there is training involved in receiving said permit, in almost every state. I'm not saying that a carrier will always be in a position to respond. I'm saying that having the weapon concealed means that you can blend in with the crowd and hopefully not be targeted from the get go. Then, if an opportunity to end the situation DOES present itself, you're equipped to deal with it. Say a man breaks into an office building and starts shooting people. You grab your gun out of your desk, and get beneath it. When he reaches your cubicle, you're ready. It's impossible to predict that first shot. All too often, these things go something like this.. "Oh my god! That man just shot that guy!" "Oh my god! he's just going to keep shooting people!" At that point, you're finally able to react. All you can do is hope that you're not being targeted at the outset, and prepare yourself, both practically and mentally, to react in that situation, should (god forbid) you ever find yourself in such a hellish spot. If someone's going to snipe you from a roof, and they're after you specifically, you'll never see it coming. That's a harsh truth, but it's there. That doesn't make carrying useless for defense.

Again, assumes that the shooter is visible. Also, that the potential hero doesn't get shot as just another member of the panicking crowd. You see, having your own gun when visible make you a target. If the gun isn't visible and you are it's no good to you. And if neither of you are visible to the baddie then that just makes my point.
Last edited by Forsher on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Zeonic States
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Zeonic States » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Zeonic States wrote:

:lol: So i throw a Boot at some one else and get locked up for assault but it's not right if this fellow does?

Honestly he was charged with assault; I am just saying that well if in the inital act security drew their firearms and killed him?

I wouldn't shed a tear.

I don't have any love for that president but he shouldn't be mocked by some Journalist little lone assaulted by one.

After the fact executing him? Might have been a tad bit extreme but some say he got tortured for once i hope that was true.
National Imperialist-Freedom Party

Proud member of the stone wall alliance

Agent Maine: of NSG's Official Project Freelancer

[Fires of the Old Republic Role Play]http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=239203

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Norjagen wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Not the majority, for sure. The same sort of people who will lock the children under their care in a closet, and give their life to misdirect said shooter, like one of the teachers in Connecticut. Believe it or not, there are people who ask those questions every single day; "Do I really have what it takes to carry? Do I have the mindset and the confidence to make that sort of judgement call?"

Every bullet that leaves a gun in those situations has a lawyer attached to it, and the potential to do unnecessary harm. The man who drew down on the Oregon shooter didn't take the shot, because there were people moving in the background that he may have hit, had he fired. He showed remarkable judgement, and didn't take actions that would have constituted an unnecessary risk to innocents. Even though he wasn't able to drop the assailant, his reasons for not doing so were responsible ones, and he made the right choice. (It's also been stated that the shooter offed himself when he saw the CCW holder draw on him, but that's only hearsay)

Cases like that are why I don't get the "Firing wildly, bullets going everywhere" argument against concealed carriers. We're talking about people who are placing their entire future potentially in the hands of lawyers and courts, even if they're justified in pulling the trigger. There's a lot of self-scrutiny involved, and lots of judgement calls, of the same sorts LEOs encounter every day. They're among the most cautious and responsible gun owners you're likely to ever meet, and they take their choice very seriously.

I will still say most will fail in the moment. Hesitation and end up being the first shot.

Difference being concealed gun owners still see people. The pig who did this; didn't see people.

Most have to be trained for this. Hell I remember in my martial arts training, I actually hesitated the first time I was told to do round kick drills on one of the targets with a face. I have spared in tournaments and yet I hesitated? Probably because the face was exposed? A couple seconds later I thought this was dumb and started kicking.

People think and talk about actions. How often does it play out when the moment arises?

IConcealed weapons would not have prevented this. It's one thing to crank rounds off at target in a range and another to shoot at somebody shooting at you.

Norjagen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Norjagen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Forsher wrote:
Norjagen wrote:Yes, you do. And there is training involved in receiving said permit, in almost every state. I'm not saying that a carrier will always be in a position to respond. I'm saying that having the weapon concealed means that you can blend in with the crowd and hopefully not be targeted from the get go. Then, if an opportunity to end the situation DOES present itself, you're equipped to deal with it. Say a man breaks into an office building and starts shooting people. You grab your gun out of your desk, and get beneath it. When he reaches your cubicle, you're ready. It's impossible to predict that first shot. All too often, these things go something like this.. "Oh my god! That man just shot that guy!" "Oh my god! he's just going to keep shooting people!" At that point, you're finally able to react. All you can do is hope that you're not being targeted at the outset, and prepare yourself, both practically and mentally, to react in that situation, should (god forbid) you ever find yourself in such a hellish spot. If someone's going to snipe you from a roof, and they're after you specifically, you'll never see it coming. That's a harsh truth, but it's there. That doesn't make carrying useless for defense.

Again, assumes that the shooter is visible. Also, that the potential hero doesn't get shot as just another member of the panicking crowd. You see, having your own gun when visible make you a target. If the gun isn't visible and you are it's no good to you. And if neither of you are visible to the baddie then that just makes my point.

Not the point I was making. Nothing will stop him from randomly selecting you from the crowd of people he's targeting. That's bad luck.

Carrying openly will make him target you first, for sure, making it a bad choice.

Carrying concealed will, at worst, make you the target of a random shot, as opposed to his main threat and priority.

That's certainly preferable to not carrying at all. You do what you have to do to survive. Cower, draw, and wait for an opening if you have to. Or, if you have a clean shot at the outset, draw and take it before he beads in on you. I'm not saying it will completely safeguard your life, but with so many random variables already stacked against you, there's no reason to find yourself in such a situation at the willful disadvantage of being unarmed.

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Norjagen wrote:Yes, you do. And there is training involved in receiving said permit, in almost every state.

Got a source for that? I don't understand this to be the case at all.
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:51 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:As an American, I am embarrassed by this ass-hattery.

:lol: So i throw a Boot at some one else and get locked up for assault but it's not right if this fellow does?

Honestly he was charged with assault; I am just saying that well if in the inital act security drew their firearms and killed him?

I wouldn't shed a tear.

I don't have any love for that president but he shouldn't be mocked by some Journalist little lone assaulted by one.

After the fact executing him? Might have been a tad bit extreme but some say he got tortured for once i hope that was true.

You said someone should have ventilated his head, more than once. That's ass-hattery. Nice little dance around what you said, though.

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:

I wouldn't shed a tear.

Are you bonkers or something?

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 pm

The Zeonic States wrote:

he shouldn't be mocked by some Journalist

The First Amendment called; it would like a word with you.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General