NATION

PASSWORD

School Shooting in Connecticut - Multiple Fatalities

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Illestia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Illestia wrote:

lists? how are studies, books and newspaperarticles lists?

And yes, it is theoretically possible to own shotguns and rifles for hunting purposes. Obtaining such a license is an excrutiating process though as far as i am informed. Unless you are buddies with the Chief Officer of the Police (who is responsible for granting gun licenses)

There is no such think as a Chief Officer of the Police. Your lack of knowledge of even the basics regarding the structure of policing in the UK is very telling indeed. Let alone your "understanding" of what needs to be done to get a license.

Educate yourself and then come back.

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/firearmslicensing

"Chief officer of the Police" was a direct quote from the german wikipedia article on english hunting law.

And finally someone who is willing to inform. See, i am happy to get corrected when i am wrong (i haven't read it yet but i guess that is what you are trying to do). But if all i get is "errr. no" all i can do is state my sources and what i know. If those sources are wrong and noone cares to show me how and why it's not my fault. At least not in my opinion.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.46

Illestia does not mirror my personal beliefs but is merely a project in being the exact opposite of me

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:34 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Souseiseki wrote:hey y'all i noticed you're talking about guns and i hate that shit so i haven't been able to keep up entire but has anyone done a mini-writeup of the media coverage of the event thus far

so far as far as i can tell everyone though it was guy A and then went and e-lynched some random guy with the same name (and fox news, CBS, NBC etc. put his facebook picture up as being the killer) and now everyone thinks it was actually his brother guy B so everyone with the same name as A was getting fucked sideways for a day and the real A (please stand up) has basically 20 little kids murdered and half (most? all?) of his family killed and everyone thought it was him. it's been fucking ridiculous and no one has learned anything.

and then there's the whole "shoving cameras into crying kids faces and asking them to describe the bodies on national television" thing

I agree with you, but grammar is your friend.

It really isn't but a Peoples Grammar derail would be rather inappropriate~
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:34 am

Souseiseki wrote:hey y'all i noticed you're talking about guns and i hate that shit so i haven't been able to keep up entire but has anyone done a mini-writeup of the media coverage of the event thus far

so far as far as i can tell everyone though it was guy A and then went and e-lynched some random guy with the same name (and fox news, CBS, NBC etc. put his facebook picture up as being the killer) and now everyone thinks it was actually his brother guy B so everyone with the same name as A was getting fucked sideways for a day and the real A (please stand up) has basically 20 little kids murdered and half (most? all?) of his family killed and everyone thought it was him. it's been fucking ridiculous and no one has learned anything.

and then there's the whole "shoving cameras into crying kids faces and asking them to describe the bodies on national television" thing

Yeah, well getting your news from television will just make you angry, confused, and lacking in facts. Turn the damn thing off.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:36 am

Illestia wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
a great many things suddenly started making sense.

Are you implying that i must be insane because i want that gun laws are reasonable and more importantly that, after a tradgedy, the focus is on the victims and the reasons for the crime (especially since understanding the reasons can help prevent future tradgedies) instead of the weapon of choice?

the gap between your perception of things and the reality of things is very large, how you want to describe that is up to you.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Illestia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am

Ailiailia wrote:
And the other half of your assertion?

Gun ownership rates have not changed significantly. Those laws are extensively grandfathered.

Gun related crime and gun violence in Britain have risen with increased smuggling of weapons into the country (by trade routes, as every country has, but more particularly by the opening of the Channel Tunnel)

Your attempt to imply that tighter gun laws caused an increase in gun crime is entirely specious. Unless you have a source for that?

That and modern crims are more likely to discharge firearms...hence Operation Trident.

Actually what my point was is that harsher gun laws do not change anything for criminals. They neither cause nor deter crime.
Why? because a criminal breaks laws....

Take Germany ias an example. As estimated by Policeexperts the amount of illegal guns is about double the amount of legally owned guns in germany. So what exactly would harsher gun laws do to prevent a criminal from obtaining one?
Political Compass:

Illestia does not mirror my personal beliefs but is merely a project in being the exact opposite of me

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am

Illestia wrote:
There is no such think as a Chief Officer of the Police. Your lack of knowledge of even the basics regarding the structure of policing in the UK is very telling indeed. Let alone your "understanding" of what needs to be done to get a license.

Educate yourself and then come back.

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/firearmslicensing

"Chief officer of the Police" was a direct quote from the german wikipedia article on english hunting law.

And finally someone who is willing to inform. See, i am happy to get corrected when i am wrong (i haven't read it yet but i guess that is what you are trying to do). But if all i get is "errr. no" all i can do is state my sources and what i know. If those sources are wrong and noone cares to show me how and why it's not my fault. At least not in my opinion.

Ok.fair enough...I thought you were English/American...
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 am

Illestia wrote:
That and modern crims are more likely to discharge firearms...hence Operation Trident.

Actually what my point was is that harsher gun laws do not change anything for criminals. They neither cause nor deter crime.

Take Germany ias an example. As estimated by Policeexperts the amount of illegal guns is about double the amount of legally owned guns in germany. So what exactly would harsher gun laws do to prevent a criminal from obtaining one?

Where the hell do all these magical illegal guns that criminals can get so easily come from?
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Illestia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:39 am

The UK in Exile wrote:
Illestia wrote:
Are you implying that i must be insane because i want that gun laws are reasonable and more importantly that, after a tradgedy, the focus is on the victims and the reasons for the crime (especially since understanding the reasons can help prevent future tradgedies) instead of the weapon of choice?

the gap between your perception of things and the reality of things is very large, how you want to describe that is up to you.

Please explain how there is a gap?
Yes, i was wrong about English Gun laws, i admit that. Now that someone actually cared to give me more then "err no"....

But i still dont see how the weapon is more important then the cause
Political Compass:

Illestia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:40 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Illestia wrote:

Where the hell do all these magical illegal guns that criminals can get so easily come from?

These guns are mainly guns that have never been registered because they are remnants of ww2 and the downfall of the GDR.
Political Compass:

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:42 am

Here's your mini-writeup of the coverage of the event:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/us/connecti ... index.html

No, the media misidentified the guy's brother as the shooter, since the brother (Ryan) was taped being arrested by police in New Jersey. But Ryan was just arrested for questioning, along with Adam's (the shooter) father. The mother was found dead in their house (they likely lived together, Adam and his mom) and the guns Adam used belonged to his mother, who was a teacher at the school.

Also, CNN reiterated after every, single, time they interviewed a kid (none of which were "crying"), that every child interviewed was done with their parent's permission, and that the parents were on the scene with the children. In fact, photographs and video from the scene was being blurred to block the childrens' faces in order to protect their privacy.
Last edited by Virana on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:43 am

Illestia wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:Where the hell do all these magical illegal guns that criminals can get so easily come from?

These guns are mainly guns that have never been registered because they are remnants of ww2 and the downfall of the GDR.

I'm fairly certain that criminals would not be very effective with already-used, seventy-year-old guns with no ammo to speak of.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am

Illestia wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

Yes, i was wrong about English Gun laws, i admit that. Now that someone actually cared to give me more then "err no"....

the cause is people. given the choice between regulating people and regulating guns. guns seems more practical.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am

Illestia wrote:

Germany is your example? They have very strict gun laws, and a low rate of gun crime.

The question to ask is "would laxer laws increase gun crime" ... to which the answer would obviously be yes ... not "would stricter laws decrease gun crime.

Sure, there is a point beyond which being more strict doesn't do any good. But that does not prove that gun control is bad, nor prove that it is pointless.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 am

The UK in Exile wrote:
Illestia wrote:

the cause is people. given the choice between regulating people and regulating guns. guns seems more practical.

Heh, yes. I'd rather argue it on principle but that practicality argument is good too.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 am

Virana wrote:

Here's your mini-writeup of the coverage of the event:
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/us/connecti ... index.html

No, the media misidentified the guy's brother as the shooter, since the brother (Ryan) was taped being arrested by police in New Jersey. But Ryan was just arrested for questioning, along with Adam's (the shooter) father. The mother was found dead in their house (they likely lived together, Adam and his mom) and the guns Adam used belonged to his mother, who was a teacher at the school.

Also, CNN reiterated after every, single, time they interviewed a kid (none of which were "crying"), that every child interviewed was done with their parent's permission, and that the parents were on the scene with the children. In fact, photographs and video from the scene was being blurred to block the childrens' faces in order to protect their privacy.

thanks!!!

never saw CNN mentioned in relation to that actually. maybe they did a better job. still sounds like a shitty thing to do though tbh even if the parents say go ahead.
Last edited by Souseiseki on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Attaché

Founded: Nov 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
Because You never had the massive Weapon's freedom's we American's have, What happens when you Lose a basic right?
And maybe it's time that we in the US took a good hard look at that freedom and consider the price as it's practiced right now. Maybe we should consider that for too long the rancor from groups like the NRA have clouded the issue and turned that right into a monster in the process.

Perhaps, and I know I'm risking the wrath of every "strict constitutionalists" in the NSG, we now ask of people to demonstrate their competence to exercise that right in a more thorough fashion, and monitor it's exercise as well.

So republicans ate now "monsters"? Just because we support the right of law abiding citizens to own guns for protection and sport? What if I called the left monster for their stance on abortion? Just because I differ with them does not make them terrable people.

Illestia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:51 am

Frisivisia wrote:
Illestia wrote:

I'm fairly certain that criminals would not be very effective with already-used, seventy-year-old guns with no ammo to speak of.

Criminals dont give a fuck whether the gun is used.
a 70 year old gun can very well be in good condition, depending on how it was stored
since when are 9mm luger rounds rare?
Political Compass:

Illestia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Illestia wrote:

Germany is your example? They have very strict gun laws, and a low rate of gun crime.

The question to ask is "would laxer laws increase gun crime" ... to which the answer would obviously be yes ... not "would stricter laws decrease gun crime.

Sure, there is a point beyond which being more strict doesn't do any good. But that does not prove that gun control is bad, nor prove that it is pointless.

And where did i imply that gunlaws are pointless or bad?
I actually stated multiple times that i support reasonable gun control.
That still doesn't chnange the fact that guns are not the cause of masskillings.
Political Compass:

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:54 am

Emile Zola wrote:
Ullan wrote:Another interesting note on this gun and safety talk....number one massacre in the USA was caused by a bomb. and if we count foreign attacks...air planes.

And if we talk about killing in general. There's cars, cigarettes, drugs, the sun, diabetes caused by sugar.

Your point is people die so let's do nothing about it? If you notice all the other causes of death do other things like transportation or are consumed. Guns are designed to kill that's it. So do you want to live in a society that these tragedies occur frequently or regulate gun use.

Neither.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Not really, your gonna have to ban hundreds of common household items to achieve that, and thats something not even strict politicians will bother to consider.

Is it just me or do you respond cryptically to everyone?

So its agreed, you have no valid arguement.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Is it just me or do you respond cryptically to everyone?

So its agreed, you have no valid arguement.

You are an odd one...
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 am

Of the Free Socialist Territories wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:... ... America is not the U.K. Germany or Australia, It has at the moment 27 Basic right's everyone is entitled, And 10 that have been set in stone for Over 2 centuries, Speech, Bear Arm's, No Quartering of soldier's, Search and Seizure, Right of the Accused, Right to a Speedy Trial, Right to a fair trial, Cruel and unusual Punishment, A bunch of stuff, and Right of teh States.

What happen's when Any one of then is broken or done away with.

If you tighten gun laws, then you get a modern, functioning Western democracy without frequent school shootings.

When has that argument worked?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Of the Free Socialist Territories wrote:
If you tighten gun laws, then you get a modern, functioning Western democracy without frequent school shootings.

When has that argument worked?
Not since the NRA became a thing I'd imagine.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Illestia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Illestia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 am

Ailiailia wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

Heh, yes. I'd rather argue it on principle but that practicality argument is good too.

So, following the same arguement i could say that fighting poverty or searching for a cure for aids is impractical and therefor laws need be made to restrict sex and whatever "practical" solution there is for poverty?

How does a strict gun law make mentally or neurologically sick people not commit crime?
does it impact their ability to get some basic ingredients from the local hardwarestore and supermarket and just bomb a school instead of shooting people?
Political Compass:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:59 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:When has that argument worked?
Not since the NRA became a thing I'd imagine.

I mean in general, but yes. For example, healthcare.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General