NATION

PASSWORD

Why do Christians claim to get their morals from the bible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
The People of George wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:It allows people to 'justify' their positions without actually having to think.

Perhaps more importantly, it let's you get away with just about anything, because you can always blame/give credit to your 'boss'.

What do you mean?

You can justify pretty much anything by appeal to scripture.

Get caught doing something naughty? Find the right verse, and that's okay - you were serving a higher power.

^this :clap:

Slavery for instance, bible approves (quran does too).

The bible preaches you follow the laws of the land...it is saying if slavery is legal and you ARE a slave then you are to serve your master...just as in any job, you do what your boss tells you to no matter how ridiculous, unless of course it is illegal or goes against your morals.
Last edited by The People of George on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Free Soviets wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I think you're confusing commandments with morals, which aren't the same.

in the context of revealed religion, how do you figure?

Because commandments tend to be hard and fast statements that don't cover everything. Morals can be derived from commandments, yes, but it's hard to make a moral judgement about, oh say, which charity is more deserving of a limited amount of aid when the commandment is to give to the poor.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Super penguin marines
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Super penguin marines » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:It allows people to 'justify' their positions without actually having to think.

Perhaps more importantly, it let's you get away with just about anything, because you can always blame/give credit to your 'boss'.

What do you mean?

Get caught doing something naughty? Find the right verse, and that's okay - you were serving a higher power.

I changed my mind about posting on this but it won't let me delete it so ignore this post
Last edited by Super penguin marines on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

Umm no...Christians who believe that way are wrong...there is no justifiable reason for sin...if you do it you're wrong point blank.

I've met maybe a whole handful of Christians who lived honest, non-hypocritical, christlike lives.

Most are much more human.

Show me a Christian that doesn't sin, and I'll show you a dead Christian.

Show me a Christian that claims not to excuse their sin, and I'll show you a liar.
I identify as
a problem

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:26 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:
NERVUN wrote:I think you're confusing commandments with morals, which aren't the same.

in the context of revealed religion, how do you figure?

Because commandments tend to be hard and fast statements that don't cover everything. Morals can be derived from commandments, yes, but it's hard to make a moral judgement about, oh say, which charity is more deserving of a limited amount of aid when the commandment is to give to the poor.

What do you mean? It does say we should help the poor, there are services that aid the poor. And it is not just about money, but also about giving time and energy

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:You can justify pretty much anything by appeal to scripture.

Umm, can one not do this with anything? "Oh, it's ok that I conquered that city, and burned it to the ground, slaughtering every citizen... Genghis did it, and he's remembered in the annals of history."

So, your point seems a bit too general as it relates to this context specifically.

"I do it because the Mongols did it" isn't half as good as an excuse as "God Told Me" (or the other favourite, "the Devil Made Me Do It").
I identify as
a problem

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:28 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

Umm no...Christians who believe that way are wrong...there is no justifiable reason for sin...if you do it you're wrong point blank.

I've met maybe a whole handful of Christians who lived honest, non-hypocritical, christlike lives.

Most are much more human.

Show me a Christian that doesn't sin, and I'll show you a dead Christian.

Show me a Christian that claims not to excuse their sin, and I'll show you a liar.

Never said Chirstians don't sin, everyone does something wrong. I don't excuse my sin, so i'm not a liar. I know exactly what i do and would never excuse it as right, i find that pathetic. We should all fess up to when we do wrong, take ownership. Not just Christians, but everybody..

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

Umm, can one not do this with anything? "Oh, it's ok that I conquered that city, and burned it to the ground, slaughtering every citizen... Genghis did it, and he's remembered in the annals of history."

So, your point seems a bit too general as it relates to this context specifically.

"I do it because the Mongols did it" isn't half as good as an excuse as "God Told Me" (or the other favourite, "the Devil Made Me Do It").

People have their own free will, the devil may tempt you to do something but ultimately it is up to you to follow through...and when people say "God told me" if it doesn't line up with with the Word says then they didn't hear it from God.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

you know... for that which breaks the law... I've almost never hear that the "God told me to do it" defense works.
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Sci-fleet
Attaché

Founded: May 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sci-fleet » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

^this :clap:

My opinion is that they were more like unpaid servants than slaves because I doubt most were treated with real cruelty. and the the first half of the book of excodus is about the hebrews escaping from slavery.
Last edited by Sci-fleet on Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unlock the universe

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Zandan wrote:That is what I wonder.

They say atheists don't have morals, but if we followed the morals from the Bible we would all be murderers, we would be stoning people, burning "sorceresses." It's weird isn't it? The bible tells people the disobey the Ten Commandments.

Mainly, "Thou shalt not kill"

Do they?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
F1-Insanity wrote:^this :clap:

Actually, not this. The Bible could be used to justify slavery, by taking verses out of context, but I think the message of equality would seem to conflict with your claim... but that's taking an accurate context into mind, which you seem so far unprepared to do.

Out of context?

Exodus 21:20 tells you you're not allowed to kill your slaves.

Exodus 21:26-7 tells you not to harm your slaves, and what to do if you do happen to harm one.

Exodus 23:12 tells you what days off your slaves have to have.

Deuteronomy 23:15 tells you you shouldn't return escaped slaves.

Leviticus 25:39 talks about how to treat debtors as slaves.

I could go on. It's not a matter of taking stuff out of context - it's explicit in the text.
I identify as
a problem

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:35 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:Well even the teachings of jesus aren't too helpful. If christians only did what jesus said, then they would own nothing but the colthes on their back and they would would hate every person in their family just so they could love jebus.

I can to an extent see the first one but the second one makes no sense at all.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Dark Side Messiahs
Ambassador

Founded: May 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dark Side Messiahs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:36 pm

The Bible is the most distorted and misused book ever, all religious books are abominations to the true message of God. In the Bible, everyone claims to be righteous while they commit atrocities on their fellow man. The only 'decent people' are persecuted and killed or have miserable lives until they get on God's good side. Even then, its not a given.

(Old Testament)
If you cling to the morals from the Bible, it means you cling to a narrow perspective of the world around you. If you follow those morals get ready to stone your little sister to death when she comes home from prom minus her hymen, stoning is rampant for such disgrace and sin. Get ready to cut off your neighbor's hand if he steals your BBQer. Its what the Bible tells us to do... an eye for an eye, sin must be punished, you will all burn.

(New Testament)
Same crap only instead of an angry and vengeful God, you have happy 'I Love You' God.
Yep, I'm a Geek. I'm also a left-wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun loving, white, college educated, politically informed, socially abrasive, conservatively liberal male with a big mouth...deal with it.
!!!WARNING!!!
I give it a 1 in 4 chance you will not like my view on certain things,
you might find my opinion off kilter or even offensive.
I don't give a flying fuck how my position makes you feel,
it's my opinion and you won't change my mind.
So save yourself a lot of wasted time trying to argue with me,
don't compile a list of of my posts so you can try to point out the flaws in my beliefs,
you will not win.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

People have their own free will, the devil may tempt you to do something but ultimately it is up to you to follow through...and when people say "God told me" if it doesn't line up with with the Word says then they didn't hear it from God.

People say that 'god' and 'the devil' told them to do things for exactly the saem reason - it's easy to blame someone who isn't there to call you a liar.
I identify as
a problem

The Deus Corporation
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deus Corporation » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:36 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:
JuNii wrote:
The Deus Corporation wrote:If you read the bible then you will clearly see that if people actually got thair morals from it....

Well to put it simply the world would be more fu*ked up than it already is.

I'd like to hear what all of you have to say on this topic.

all the Christians I know (not including those of the Interwebs) claim they get their morals from the Teachings of Jesus. not from 'The Bible' in total.

Well even the teachings of jesus aren't too helpful. If christians only did what jesus said, then they would own nothing but the colthes on their back and they would would hate every person in their family just so they could love jebus.

That's definitely false.

Have you read the bible? Or more importantly the New Testament?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 pm

JuNii wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

What do you mean?

you know... for that which breaks the law... I've almost never hear that the "God told me to do it" defense works.

Doesn't mean people don't claim it.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Sci-fleet wrote:My opinion is that they were more like unpaid servants than slaves because I doubt most were treated with real cruelty. and the the first half of the book of excodus is about the hebrews escaping from slavery.

If you find yourself trying to quibble what 'slave' means, you've already lost the highground.
I identify as
a problem

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:39 pm

The Deus Corporation wrote:Have you read the bible? Or more importantly the New Testament?

I would like you to explain your second point and how you got to that reasoning.

DBC26-Winner

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:41 pm

They say atheists don't have morals, but if we followed the morals from the Bible we would all be murderers, we would be stoning people, burning "sorceresses." It's weird isn't it? The bible tells people the disobey the Ten Commandments.

Actually, it's more properly "Thou Shalt not murder"...
Such heroic nonsense!

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Tekania wrote:

Actually, it's more properly "Thou Shalt not murder"...

The irony of this law being delivered via a murderer was always something of an amusement to me.
I identify as
a problem

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

"Thou shalt not kill" in the Old Testament (Ten Commandments) comes from the Hebrew word for "kill", rasah, which means "murder". Therefore, the more correct translation of the commandment is "Thou Shalt Not Murder". This is the justification for the "just war" passage in the Old Testament, and was clearly understood by the Hebrews of those times. The problem comes when the Hebrew words are shoehorned to fit our English dictionary, which is where confusion has come from.

The commandment deals with murdering someone out of bloodlust, or greed, or desire. The commandment does not regard killing in self defense, or killing accidentally (such as reckless driver who kills someone behind the wheel). The more pertinent question to the "is capital punishment justifiable" is not found in the Ten Commandments, but rather, if man has the absolute right to pass physical judgment on another man. Of course, no one bothers to examine the issue from this perspective, hardly, but there ya go.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:50 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:The irony of this law being delivered via a murderer was always something of an amusement to me.

Moses?

DBC26-Winner

The People of George
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The People of George » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:

People say that 'god' and 'the devil' told them to do things for exactly the saem reason - it's easy to blame someone who isn't there to call you a liar.

And what i am saying is Christians who do that as a scape goat are wrong...

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:52 pm

They're not morals; more like guide lines
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General