NATION

PASSWORD

In your opinion, the best canadian city?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Best canadian city is...

Quebec City
7%
Toronto
23%
Montreal
20%
Ottawa
3%
Vancouver
19%
Calgary
4%
Halifax
1%
Winnipeg
4%
Other
13%
None.
7%

Total votes : 105

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:Replace Calgary with Edmonton on the poll, Cowtown blows!

Cowtown blows Edmonton away, thank yew very much. Can't hear your whining over Calgary sharing title for Cultural Capital of Canada.
. ♕ I am your LORD and saviour, for I am Jesus Christina Confess your sins, and ye shall be forgiven. ❤ .
One of Le Sexiest NSers 2013. Call me ¡¥. Now a fascist because rape is bad, mmkay.
Meet the TET Pantheon
"What I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you cry with you or kiss you, I love you." - Evey (V for Vendetta)
Alleniana wrote:
New Manvir wrote:Well, it's obvious the Native Americans didn't really have a history. They were just loafing about, waiting for some white people to show up so the real fun could start.

The party don't start till I walk in
-Tik Tok, by Christopher Columbus

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 pm

As probably the only person who has been to all the cities in the poll, I have to say Montreal wins.

Better food, better night life, both official languages, prettier people, old world charm, many coffee shops, and the best bagels in the world.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Freelanderness wrote:
Soviet Canuckistan wrote:Replace Calgary with Edmonton on the poll, Cowtown blows!

Cowtown blows Edmonton away, thank yew very much. Can't hear your whining over Calgary sharing title for Cultural Capital of Canada.

Who needs cultural capital of Canada when you're the murder capital of Canada.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Soviet Canuckistan wrote:
Freelanderness wrote:Cowtown blows Edmonton away, thank yew very much. Can't hear your whining over Calgary sharing title for Cultural Capital of Canada.

One bad statistic does not define a whole city and its people.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:08 pm

All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Freelanderness wrote:Cowtown blows Edmonton away, thank yew very much. Can't hear your whining over Calgary sharing title for Cultural Capital of Canada.

Okay for murder capital I'm getting Winnipeg, with Edmonton coming second, and Halifax third
Last edited by Freelanderness on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. ♕ I am your LORD and saviour, for I am Jesus Christina Confess your sins, and ye shall be forgiven. ❤ .
One of Le Sexiest NSers 2013. Call me ¡¥. Now a fascist because rape is bad, mmkay.
Meet the TET Pantheon
"What I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you cry with you or kiss you, I love you." - Evey (V for Vendetta)
Alleniana wrote:
New Manvir wrote:Well, it's obvious the Native Americans didn't really have a history. They were just loafing about, waiting for some white people to show up so the real fun could start.

Gift-of-god
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gift-of-god » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:34 pm

The last nice thing to come out of Alberta was called Gretsky.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera
I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina.
I defend the little kids and I level downtown Tokyo
in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Gift-of-god wrote:The last nice thing to come out of Alberta was called Gretsky.

Nenshi. Mayor Naheed Nenshi. Your point is invalid.
Meet the TET Pantheon
Alleniana wrote:

Hazardland
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hazardland » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Toronto

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 pm

i would have to say either victoria b.c., because its the only one that i've been there. or prince rupert, because i haven't, or carcross (carabou crossing) because the white pass and yukon narrow gauge railroad used to go there (i have no idea if it still does or not).
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Lands of the Pack
Attaché

Founded: Oct 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lands of the Pack » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:41 pm

for one, don't think calgary defines all of alberta. and the greatest city in Canada... hmmm it's either a combination of montreal and quebec for the historical aspects alongside the cultural "diversity", or Edmonton because of the wonder that is I live there XD

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:montreal -- for the food and hockey

The food and the wha?

Soviet Canuckistan
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Canuckistan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Freelanderness wrote:
Soviet Canuckistan wrote:Who needs cultural capital of Canada when you're the murder capital of Canada.

Okay for murder capital I'm getting Winnipeg, with Edmonton coming second, and Halifax third

That's this year and this year isn't over so Edmonton still has the title
Freelanderness wrote:
Gift-of-god wrote:The last nice thing to come out of Alberta was called Gretsky.

Nenshi. Mayor Naheed Nenshi. Your point is invalid.

No one gives a crap about your mayor, everyone in Canada gives a crap about The Great One
Lands of the Pack wrote:for one, don't think calgary defines all of alberta. and the greatest city in Canada... hmmm it's either a combination of montreal and quebec for the historical aspects alongside the cultural "diversity", or Edmonton because of the wonder that is I live there XD

A fellow Edmontonian on NS! *faints*
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 pm

The only Canadian city I've been to is Toronto, and it's pretty remarkable for all the highrise construction that's going on.

I also get the jazz radio station here in Buffalo, and the DJ's once remarked that Toronto is one of the few cities in the world that has a radio station dedicated to jazz, and that it's a hallmark of civilization. I guess that's... something.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Vancouver. That's why I'm immigrating to it.

Pale Mountains of Klesh
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Pale Mountains of Klesh » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Anollasia wrote:I your opinion, what's the best canadian city? It can be according to life standards, tourist attractions, anything!

I think the best canadian city is Quebec City. It's cultured, unique, europe-like, pretty, lots of attractions, nice weather.

What about you, NSG?

The one in America.

Freelanderness
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Freelanderness » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Freelanderness wrote:Okay for murder capital I'm getting Winnipeg, with Edmonton coming second, and Halifax third

That's this year and this year isn't over so Edmonton still has the title
Freelanderness wrote:Nenshi. Mayor Naheed Nenshi. Your point is invalid.

No one gives a crap about your mayor, everyone in Canada gives a crap about The Great One
Lands of the Pack wrote:for one, don't think calgary defines all of alberta. and the greatest city in Canada... hmmm it's either a combination of montreal and quebec for the historical aspects alongside the cultural "diversity", or Edmonton because of the wonder that is I live there XD

A fellow Edmontonian on NS! *faints*

Wait you're trying to put the murder capital of Canada as a good thing? :? You Deadmontonians really are crazy.
Meet the TET Pantheon
Alleniana wrote:

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Well seeing as Niagara City is the only Canadian city I've been to, I'm going to have to vote for that.
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

Bobbyland420
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bobbyland420 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Imota wrote:Dunnville, ON, because of Canada's Worst Driver (or, in keeping with the theme of the show, it might actually be Canada's Worst City).
RIP hwy 20 boys.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:19 pm

I have not been to Winnipeg, Vancouver or Calgary.

Of the others, Toronto and Montreal are vibrant and diverse, with many world cultures actively participating in the civic scene. There is great entertainment. Outdoor recreation is nearby. Lots of free stuff to do. Excellent food, and some is even affordable. Montreal with its mountain is more scenic, but some of the Francophones can be snooty (especially the docents).

For me, Quebec City is ideal. There is less diversity but still a nice array of cultures. I had my best Vietnamese meal ever in Quebec. In the countryside south of the Fleuve are attractive reasonable and excellent real French restaurants, chef owned. It's a seaport, the fish is plentiful and fresh. You can whale-watch! Contrary to reputation, every French speaking person I met was not only courteous but downright friendly and solicitous. The Old City is amazing, authentic history alive. one thing I like about Montreal and Quebec City is the way the street and sidewalk simply blend right into the shops and eateries; with terraces, bistros, cafes, street vendors, kiosks, it's less of a public/private divide than you find in America. They love to talk, and there is conversation everywhere. Take a carriage ride around the Plains of Abraham, and the chateau Frontenac. The bistro owner will let you enjoy his garden and cobbled patio for the price of a glass of wine, which you may nurse as long as you wish. Within minutes going north you are among rugged scenic vistas, wildlife sanctuaries, rustic B&B's (something Americans don't usually see, like a hunting lodge with artwork, massage and meditation, and furniture in each room handpainted in pastels), and even wolves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4XkdE24yqM
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:39 pm

Vancouver.

I have a general admiration for the northwest US/southwest Canada region, plus the city itself is cool.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Runfin
Envoy

Founded: Mar 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Runfin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Winnipeg, the most amazing people in the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQxymxNp6-w

Literally the entire city stopped and partied for the rest of the week
The Russian Empire in "The Great American Wars"

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Runfin wrote:Winnipeg, the most amazing people in the country

I think if the Jets had gone and traded for Teemu after being reborn, they would've partied for the rest of the year. :P

The Independent Isle of Wight
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Independent Isle of Wight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:00 pm

You've got to go a long way to beat a name like Saskatoon...
British Pirate Genderless Neutral-Good Bugler

Population: 300,000
Demonym: Vectian
Average GDP: $28,000
Total % of GDP taxed: 46%
Became Independent from The UK in 1985

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Runfin wrote:Winnipeg, the most amazing people in the country

You can tell we were very happy, we only had five stabbings that day.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General