NATION

PASSWORD

Do you consider yourself to be a feminist, and why?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:-snip-

Almost feel bad for the poor fellow. Ran into you and me both in his first foray. Bad luck that, starting with feminism as the place to get his toe wet. At least Bottle appears to be otherwise occupied.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
United States of Dixieland wrote:
Why does everyone seem to think I am forcing billions of women to accept these views. I have stated that this is simply an opinion of one person, posted on a forum were we are supposed to post our opinions. On a website that no world leader will ever look to for enacting national policy. I promise that no women will be forced against her will to do things the way I happen to think just because I posted this. I do not go to the streets holding signs protesting to support what I posted here. Personally I do not much care if women can do my job better than me. Great for them. Everyone has their own idea on what society should be like, I am no different. But just because we have those ideas does not mean others wil agree with them or abide by them. I knew others would not agree with what I posted to begin with. But if you dont agree then just say so and get on with your day. Calling me a bigot, ingnorant evil person and other attacks such as not taking part in raising my child is well...childish. Its not like you have to deal with me in your own lives. I do not work or live next to any of you so I dont see a problem.

It seems my wife has already saw fit to apologize for me so why not.

I am so sorry I seemed to have offended so many with my opinion.

PS: I still thank God you chose me, Alison.

Ah, you are confused. We're here to help you.

First, lets get something out of the way:

Your elementary school teachers lied to you. Your coaches, and especially your parents, but they can be forgiven. You are not a special little snowflake. To the people who are important to you and to whom you are important, sure. I'm sure that your daughter and wife and parents all adore the shit out of you and we have no reason to believe they should not.

However...

We do not give a shit. We're all sons and daughters, students and teachers, lovers, parents, etc etc. You are just another box of text on a screen. For all we know or care you are a giant naked man who likes to be called Lulu. I assure you, should that be the case our opinion of the things you write would be completely unchanged.

There is nothing about you or who you are or who we are that requires us to hold anything you might call 'an opinion' in anything other than contempt. We are here, in one way or another, to disagree. And disagree we will.

We have no allusions regarding your ability to enact your opinion. That must have been a flattering moment for yourself, but no one thinks you're that special. Elementary school teachers like to be nice, we're not.

We will challenge your ideas, even if you call them 'opinions', because there is nothing sacred about an opinion. Someone may have given you this idea sometime in your life. They lied. I'm sorry. But they did. We will examine the implications of these opinions, we will explore the applications of these opinions in the cold light of day and challenge their assertions. This is not assuming that you could do them, but to show you that if someone did, they would be stupid.

And that, finally, is why opinions are not sacred. Because like natural selection, they become stronger by being put to the test. And if they are held sacred you never have to defend them and you may never find out that your opinion, no matter how precious, is just fucking stupid. You can quibble on matters of taste, sure, but if you want to eat at the adult table you have to understand the substantive difference between "I like Neon Trees" and "I think traditional gender roles are the way things should be."

Good luck. You might want to wear a helmet.

CTOAN you despicable Fraxinus excelsior-hating mother-humper, I swear to god you rag on my neon tree one more time and I'mma redirect a tactical nuclear strike to your house.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Neo Art wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:-snip-

Almost feel bad for the poor fellow. Ran into you and me both in his first foray. Bad luck that, starting with feminism as the place to get his toe wet. At least Bottle appears to be otherwise occupied.

Thing is, she'll probably see it and respond before seeing the others, so it's just a matter of time...
The Emerald Dawn wrote:CTOAN you despicable Fraxinus excelsior-hating mother-humper, I swear to god you rag on my neon tree one more time and I'mma redirect a tactical nuclear strike to your house.

You can't fool me, I know they're out there with just a slightly different color of green saying "Screw you, colorblind person!" I'm hip to your agenda, you...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

United States of Dixieland (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Dixieland (Ancient) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:17 pm

Why does everyone seem to think I am forcing billions of women to accept these views. I have stated that this is simply an opinion of one person, posted on a forum were we are supposed to post our opinions. On a website that no world leader will ever look to for enacting national policy. I promise that no women will be forced against her will to do things the way I happen to think just because I posted this. I do not go to the streets holding signs protesting to support what I posted here. Personally I do not much care if women can do my job better than me. Great for them. Everyone has their own idea on what society should be like, I am no different. But just because we have those ideas does not mean others wil agree with them or abide by them. I knew others would not agree with what I posted to begin with. But if you dont agree then just say so and get on with your day. Calling me a bigot, ingnorant evil person and other attacks such as not taking part in raising my child is well...childish. Its not like you have to deal with me in your own lives. I do not work or live next to any of you so I dont see a problem.

Ah, you are confused. We're here to help you.

Your elementary school teachers lied to you. Your coaches, and especially your parents, but they can be forgiven. You are not a special little snowflake. To the people who are important to you and to whom you are important, sure. I'm sure that your daughter and wife and parents all adore the shit out of you and we have no reason to believe they should not.

However...

We do not give a shit. We're all sons and daughters, students and teachers, lovers, parents, etc etc. You are just another box of text on a screen. For all we know or care you are a giant naked man who likes to be called Lulu. I assure you, should that be the case our opinion of the things you write would be completely unchanged.

There is nothing about you or who you are or who we are that requires us to hold anything you might call 'an opinion' in anything other than contempt. We are here, in one way or another, to disagree. And disagree we will.

We have no allusions regarding your ability to enact your opinion. That must have been a flattering moment for yourself, but no one thinks you're that special. Elementary school teachers like to be nice, we're not.

We will challenge your ideas, even if you call them 'opinions', because there is nothing sacred about an opinion. Someone may have given you this idea sometime in your life. They lied. I'm sorry. But they did. We will examine the implications of these opinions, we will explore the applications of these opinions in the cold light of day and challenge their assertions. This is not assuming that you could do them, but to show you that if someone did, they would be stupid.

And that, finally, is why opinions are not sacred. Because like natural selection, they become stronger by being put to the test. And if they are held sacred you never have to defend them and you may never find out that your opinion, no matter how precious, is just fucking stupid. You can quibble on matters of taste, sure, but if you want to eat at the adult table you have to understand the substantive difference between "I like Neon Trees" and "I think traditional gender roles are the way things should be."

Well that settles it. We disagree. Have a nice day.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 pm

I am a male, and I do not consider myself a feminist. About 50 years ago, the feminist movement became the feminazi movement. It went from advocating legal and social equality for women to supporting radicalism, misandry, and the slaughter of countless unborn children. It was taken over by extremists. Each new "wave" of feminism has been worse than the preceding "wave."
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I am a male, and I do not consider myself a feminist. About 50 years ago, the feminist movement became the feminazi movement. It went from advocating legal and social equality for women to supporting radicalism, misandry, and the slaughter of countless unborn children. It was taken over by extremists. Each new "wave" of feminism has been worse than the preceding "wave."

Wrong on all points. Isn't it nice when you have your ridiculous, unfounded preconceptions demolished in just four words?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Celestial Divinities
Minister

Founded: Dec 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Divinities » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I am a male, and I do not consider myself a feminist. About 50 years ago, the feminist movement became the feminazi movement. It went from advocating legal and social equality for women to supporting radicalism, misandry, and the slaughter of countless unborn children. It was taken over by extremists. Each new "wave" of feminism has been worse than the preceding "wave."

The movement may have gone awry but the definition of "feminist" hasn't changed. Feminazis may not be a majority but they get the better press coverage, but they're wrong and female supremacism is not feminism.
Boob sisters with WWIIHG!
Vortiaganica was here >.>

I am every mighty mild seventies child

Married to Esty.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:23 pm

You came here expecting everyone to AGREE with you?

my god were you mislead.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 pm

United States of Dixieland wrote:Why does everyone seem to think I am forcing billions of women to accept these views. I have stated that this is simply an opinion of one person, posted on a forum were we are supposed to post our opinions. On a website that no world leader will ever look to for enacting national policy. I promise that no women will be forced against her will to do things the way I happen to think just because I posted this. I do not go to the streets holding signs protesting to support what I posted here. Personally I do not much care if women can do my job better than me. Great for them. Everyone has their own idea on what society should be like, I am no different. But just because we have those ideas does not mean others wil agree with them or abide by them. I knew others would not agree with what I posted to begin with. But if you dont agree then just say so and get on with your day. Calling me a bigot, ingnorant evil person and other attacks such as not taking part in raising my child is well...childish. Its not like you have to deal with me in your own lives. I do not work or live next to any of you so I dont see a problem.

You seem to be under the impression that you've been posting on your blog, or maybe your Facebook page. I'm not entirely sure what caused such confusion, but for the record, you have been making your statements on a public internet forum geared towards political debate. Your opinions are not sacred. You're allowed to have them, certainly, and share them all you want. But the only courtesy you're entitled to in return is that you be allowed to share them. No one is obligated to like them, nor respect them, nor respect you for having them, nor silence themselves if they find they disagree with you. You are allowed to challenge other people's opinions, and they are allowed to challenge yours. To expect to be able to simply post thoughts other people find vile and not be challenged on your ideas is to fundamentally miss the entire point of this place.

If you say bigoted, ignorant, evil things, then you should rightfully expect to be told that you are saying bigoted, ignorant, evil things. If what you expect is for people who "dont [sic] agree" to "just say so and get on with [their] day", then you would probably be more comfortable on the aforementioned blog/Facebook.

Welcome to NSG. The sooner you disabuse yourself of the notion that you are a special snowflake and that your posts are divinely inspired and beyond reproach, the more likely you are to be able to survive here.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Wrong on all points. Isn't it nice when you have your ridiculous, unfounded preconceptions demolished in just four words?

I apologize for lamenting the hijacking of what was once a venerable social movement.

There are still some respectable feminists, but most women who use that label today are radicals.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I apologize for lamenting the hijacking of what was once a venerable social movement.

There are still some respectable feminists, but most women who use that label today are radicals.

And presumably you have evidence for this? Because it's entirely and completely bullshit.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

United States of Dixieland wrote: I promise that no women will be forced against her will to do things the way I happen to think just because I posted this.

Wait, weren't you the fellow said you'd be "damned" if your daughter joined the military?

It seems at least one woman is ALREADY being forced to live her life by your expectations.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:I apologize for lamenting the hijacking of what was once a venerable social movement.

And presumably you have evidence for this? Because it's entirely and completely bullshit.

50 million unborn children dead

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

So I take it that you support forced live organ donation?
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Ah, you are confused. We're here to help you.

However...

About what? That you are a special little snowflake and you have all the gold stars Mrs. Cooper gave you to prove it? That opinions are sacred and only meany poopy heads would dare challenge them or their implications? Or that your opinions are in fact not stupid?

I mean, I get it, you're not used to being challenged. But you stepped up to the plate, man. Don't try and hang this on us. I'll never get why it's always the ones who do the most chest thumping and leaf throwing that skitter away the fastest at the first sign of resistance...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:27 pm

Christian Democrats wrote: and the slaughter of countless unborn children.

Oh I'm SURE we can count the number of innocents slaughtered. We'll just go through the scraps bin and count how many baby skulls we find.

I personally ate 3 this morning.

Celestial Divinities
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Divinities » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:28 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Most women are respectable feminist, but some are radicals.
However, if you're implying that being pro-life is radical...

Married to Esty.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:28 pm

I mean, I get it, you're not used to being challenged. But you stepped up to the plate, man. Don't try and hang this on us. I'll never get why it's always the ones who do the most chest thumping and leaf throwing that skitter away the fastest at the first sign of resistance...

Because a bully stops being a bully the day he gets his solar plexus kicked in.

It's little different on an intellectual level.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

Dude. you JUST SAID it was "countless"

Make up your fucking mind.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:30 pm

Celestial Divinities wrote:However, if you're implying that being pro-life is radical...

Being "pro life" is radical, considering that to hold a pro life position you must go against everything understood by science and ethics.

Celestial Divinities
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Celestial Divinities » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Neo Art wrote:
Celestial Divinities wrote:However, if you're implying that being pro-life CHOICE is radical...

Being "pro life" is radical, considering that to hold a pro life position you must go against everything understood by science and ethics.

At first I was about to argue with you then realized that it's my fault and wrote pro-life when I meant pro-choice...

Married to Esty.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Dixieland (Ancient) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
United States of Dixieland wrote:Why does everyone seem to think I am forcing billions of women to accept these views. I have stated that this is simply an opinion of one person, posted on a forum were we are supposed to post our opinions. On a website that no world leader will ever look to for enacting national policy. I promise that no women will be forced against her will to do things the way I happen to think just because I posted this. I do not go to the streets holding signs protesting to support what I posted here. Personally I do not much care if women can do my job better than me. Great for them. Everyone has their own idea on what society should be like, I am no different. But just because we have those ideas does not mean others wil agree with them or abide by them. I knew others would not agree with what I posted to begin with. But if you dont agree then just say so and get on with your day. Calling me a bigot, ingnorant evil person and other attacks such as not taking part in raising my child is well...childish. Its not like you have to deal with me in your own lives. I do not work or live next to any of you so I dont see a problem.

You seem to be under the impression that you've been posting on your blog, or maybe your Facebook page. I'm not entirely sure what caused such confusion, but for the record, you have been making your statements on a public internet forum geared towards political debate. Your opinions are not sacred. You're allowed to have them, certainly, and share them all you want. But the only courtesy you're entitled to in return is that you be allowed to share them. No one is obligated to like them, nor respect them, nor respect you for having them, nor silence themselves if they find they disagree with you. You are allowed to challenge other people's opinions, and they are allowed to challenge yours. To expect to be able to simply post thoughts other people find vile and not be challenged on your ideas is to fundamentally miss the entire point of this place.

If you say bigoted, ignorant, evil things, then you should rightfully expect to be told that you are saying bigoted, ignorant, evil things. If what you expect is for people who "dont [sic] agree" to "just say so and get on with [their] day", then you would probably be more comfortable on the aforementioned blog/Facebook.

Welcome to NSG. The sooner you disabuse yourself of the notion that you are a special snowflake and that your posts are divinely inspired and beyond reproach, the more likely you are to be able to survive here.

Well, alright. I see it now. I suppose I mistook NS for something else. This was all my fault. Dont really have the spare time for debate or RP anyways. Looked like a good place on the web for me at first glance. My bad. Enjoy your new year.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 pm

Tsk, shame, Maybe you could have learned something.

Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Dixieland (Ancient) » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm

About what? That you are a special little snowflake and you have all the gold stars Mrs. Cooper gave you to prove it? That opinions are sacred and only meany poopy heads would dare challenge them or their implications? Or that your opinions are in fact not stupid?

Being new to the site I was not aware this was a debate forum. That is the whole story.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Neo Art wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote: and the slaughter of countless unborn children.

Oh I'm SURE we can count the number of innocents slaughtered. We'll just go through the scraps bin and count how many baby skulls we find.

I personally ate 3 this morning.

Only!? Are you on a diet?

Oh, I get it. New Year's resolutions and all that.
Taking a break.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General