NATION

PASSWORD

Relationships:

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your longest relationship?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

1 day-1 week
16%
1-4 Weeks
8%
1-2 Months
3%
3-5 Months
12%
6-8 Months
6%
9 Months-1 Year
7%
1-2 Years
17%
3-5 Years
17%
5-10 Years
9%
10+ Years
8%

Total votes : 103

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Stronbollia wrote:Its alright Samuraikoku you'll find someone life always has a way of delivering unexpected results.

Forget the promise of love and romance, for in the grim darkness of the far future there is only Samuraikoku. :p

You always have Captain Mira if she dumps that Kasrkin.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:35 pm

I have found that the best way to keep a relationship going is to focus on the relationship. Through my current one, I've gained the best friend I could ever ask for.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Bombadil wrote:
The Campbell Nation wrote:
Did she flat out ask you to be more dominant? Or is this some interpretation?

Quite, I broke up with someone once because I always had to think of things to do, whenever I'd ask 'what should we do today' she'd reply 'what do you want to do?' beyond just coming up with an idea regardless. It became very tiring.

It doesn't necessarily mean 'dominant', it could mean proactive.

It makes you go from being in a relationship with someone to being someone's activity director.

Been on both ends of that...I'm not running for saint...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Spreewerke wrote:I have found that the best way to keep a relationship going is to focus on the relationship. Through my current one, I've gained the best friend I could ever ask for.

I'v found the best way to keep a relationship going is to find ample time where I don't have to focus on the relationship.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:I have found that the best way to keep a relationship going is to focus on the relationship. Through my current one, I've gained the best friend I could ever ask for.

I'v found the best way to keep a relationship going is to find ample time where I don't have to focus on the relationship.

Men get garages because women don't like garages.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Stronbollia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stronbollia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I have asked my friends for advice but there problem is they don't want to hurt my feelings wrong so they don't always give the best advice. So I thought "Hey maybe NSG might give me painfully true and needed answers" But yea I see what your saying. And thank you Campbell for your advice, you seem pretty nice yourself. And she wants me to be more dominant so I am trying for her to make her happy and all.

You're very welcome. Of course, by acting like a gentleman, you could appear more dominant perhaps? Or at least looking out for her, which would definitely earn you some man points. I'm thinking like, taking her into town, and say, getting the door for her, lending her your jacket, helping her cross the street. Of course maybe she doesn't like these things.

And by all means, ask away. I'm taking notes here. But I wouldn't put strategies straight into the field, especially since none of us know your unique position. That's the thing with relationships.
And the Internet in general.

Well actually she did flat out tell me to be more dominant because that's what she likes and then she also told me to take control and all. She said she personally feels a man should dominant a relationship and that's what she likes/is attracted too. And I said ok, but ive been being the nice supportive guy that agrees with what she wants to make her happy so I need to transistion a little bit out of that I guess

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I've only had one relationship, it ended in September.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Bombadil wrote:

That is quite true, as well. There are simply times when either person has to have their own time. Fortunately, my girlfriend and I have more or less worked that out to where we don't ever have issues with it.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

I would date the shit out of a woman who likes garages...um, providing the current one doesn't work out...but there are women out there who like garages. Hell, I had a roommate who would spend an afternoon swapping engines. She was already engaged, though...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

That is quite true, as well. There are simply times when either person has to have their own time. Fortunately, my girlfriend and I have more or less worked that out to where we don't ever have issues with it.

Personal time is necessary. It becomes even more important when you live together and see each other all the time.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 pm

Stronbollia wrote:
You're very welcome. Of course, by acting like a gentleman, you could appear more dominant perhaps? Or at least looking out for her, which would definitely earn you some man points. I'm thinking like, taking her into town, and say, getting the door for her, lending her your jacket, helping her cross the street. Of course maybe she doesn't like these things.

And by all means, ask away. I'm taking notes here. But I wouldn't put strategies straight into the field, especially since none of us know your unique position. That's the thing with relationships.

Well actually she did flat out tell me to be more dominant because that's what she likes and then she also told me to take control and all. She said she personally feels a man should dominant a relationship and that's what she likes/is attracted too. And I said ok, but ive been being the nice supportive guy that agrees with what she wants to make her happy so I need to transistion a little bit out of that I guess

Then smack her and constantly remind her of her inadequacies. That's dominance all women want. :kiss:

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Men get garages because women don't like garages.

I would date the shit out of a woman who likes garages...um, providing the current one doesn't work out...but there are women out there who like garages. Hell, I had a roommate who would spend an afternoon swapping engines. She was already engaged, though...

It totally defeats the purpose of getting any time to yourself.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Bombadil wrote:

I've never pretended to enjoy shopping for clothes either.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Stronbollia wrote:

Hmm...considering this, might I humbly suggest making a rather forceful inquiry regarding her pants and why they are still on.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:46 pm

You are truly an awesome and lucky(Although luck may not be the right term, but I'll use it for now) individual, Spree.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
why would you? i mean its fun to play master every once in a while. but day in and dqy out, if it is not who you are, the relationship will ultimately be unsatisfying to you.

Because out in the real world a little bit of dominating ability helps.

the relationship is not "out in the real world", they are the cocoon that helps you recharge to go out in the real world the next day. The one person i dont compete with is my wife. My kids yes, because i have to teach them to compete in the real world, but my wife, never.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Stronbollia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Stronbollia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Stronbollia wrote:[quote="The Campbell

Then smack her and constantly remind her of her inadequacies. That's dominance all women want. :kiss:

I like the way you think, that might shift focus of me and on to her as well :D

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 pm

I think my ABSENCE of a relationship, being longer than my longest one, is noteworthy.

5 years and counting :(
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:I would date the shit out of a woman who likes garages...um, providing the current one doesn't work out...but there are women out there who like garages. Hell, I had a roommate who would spend an afternoon swapping engines. She was already engaged, though...

It totally defeats the purpose of getting any time to yourself.

I can still have time to myself, I'm more than one interest, but then I could have a chick with her own sweet ride who doesn't roll her eyes when I talk about my sweet ride and instead of 'humoring' me and my car she can adjust the brakes because she's tired of my lazy ass pumping the pedal every time we stop. Or if a race comes on I can watch it without anyone going, "How long is this going to be on?" or "Turn it down, the sounds of the engines is driving me crazy..."

I can have alone time without having to have an interest that repels my significant other. Not that I have managed to date someone who doesn't hate most of the shit I'm into, but I maintain it's possible.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Stronbollia wrote:

Hmm...considering this, might I humbly suggest making a rather forceful inquiry regarding her pants and why they are still on.

that is what i was thinking as well.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Out of curiosity, Stronbollia, is your 'ship long distance?
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:53 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:It totally defeats the purpose of getting any time to yourself.

I can still have time to myself, I'm more than one interest, but then I could have a chick with her own sweet ride who doesn't roll her eyes when I talk about my sweet ride and instead of 'humoring' me and my car she can adjust the brakes because she's tired of my lazy ass pumping the pedal every time we stop. Or if a race comes on I can watch it without anyone going, "How long is this going to be on?" or "Turn it down, the sounds of the engines is driving me crazy..."

I can have alone time without having to have an interest that repels my significant other. Not that I have managed to date someone who doesn't hate most of the shit I'm into, but I maintain it's possible.

No idea. Haven't even been alone in a room with a woman so your judgment is worth a hell of a lot more than mine.

Also, Bonobos

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Stronbollia wrote:
Czechanada wrote:

You're joking, I hope.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

The walkers
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The walkers » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Stronbollia wrote:

You're joking, I hope.

From my humble experiences it works, at least until the woman actually develops character and indepedence(not the crap those feminists claim to have) and that can take them until they are 30 or even longer!

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:..but then I could have a chick with her own sweet ride who doesn't roll her eyes when I talk about my sweet ride..

I'd assume the eye-rolling is at the idea that a VW Combi is a 'sweet ride'..

十年

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General