NATION

PASSWORD

Relationships:

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your longest relationship?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

1 day-1 week
16%
1-4 Weeks
8%
1-2 Months
3%
3-5 Months
12%
6-8 Months
6%
9 Months-1 Year
7%
1-2 Years
17%
3-5 Years
17%
5-10 Years
9%
10+ Years
8%

Total votes : 103

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Seems like a similar problem to mine, but I develop false feelings because I'm desperate for some kind of contact and then go crazy over it. Doesn't work out well.

We talk regularly now. I didn't even think this would happen... she moved way away, and I figured, "Welp, we're probably going to be drifting apart." Nope. I didn't figure not talking to her after a week or two would make me miss her, but here we are. And it seems (from the face value of what she says) she misses me too.

But I've already gotten the "like a brother" thing. That's been there for a while now. There were even times where I didn't even want to be around her at all, that's how things got between us on my end.

And yet, here we go again.

tl;dr Derp.

It's hard to tell what I'm thinking. If I knew what caused it I'd stop it. I think I see someone who is female that pays attention to me with anything resembling regularity, and I want someone to be with, so I just start thinking "She's there, why isn't that meant to be?" and after it loops around at a billion miles an hour in my brain for a while I start believing it.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:56 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
We talk regularly now. I didn't even think this would happen... she moved way away, and I figured, "Welp, we're probably going to be drifting apart." Nope. I didn't figure not talking to her after a week or two would make me miss her, but here we are. And it seems (from the face value of what she says) she misses me too.

But I've already gotten the "like a brother" thing. That's been there for a while now. There were even times where I didn't even want to be around her at all, that's how things got between us on my end.

tl;dr Derp.

It's hard to tell what I'm thinking. If I knew what caused it I'd stop it. I think I see someone who is female that pays attention to me with anything resembling regularity, and I want someone to be with, so I just start thinking "She's there, why isn't that meant to be?" and after it loops around at a billion miles an hour in my brain for a while I start believing it.

Look for dem common traits or whatever.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:It's hard to tell what I'm thinking. If I knew what caused it I'd stop it. I think I see someone who is female that pays attention to me with anything resembling regularity, and I want someone to be with, so I just start thinking "She's there, why isn't that meant to be?" and after it loops around at a billion miles an hour in my brain for a while I start believing it.

Look for dem common traits or whatever.

Doesn't matter when they're adamant that they're not interested. I just wind up hurt.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:

tl;dr Derp.

IME, if one starts acting like it's meant to be before a relationship actually starts, it's the key to failure.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Tiltjuice wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:It's hard to tell what I'm thinking. If I knew what caused it I'd stop it. I think I see someone who is female that pays attention to me with anything resembling regularity, and I want someone to be with, so I just start thinking "She's there, why isn't that meant to be?" and after it loops around at a billion miles an hour in my brain for a while I start believing it.

IME, if one starts acting like it's meant to be before a relationship actually starts, it's the key to failure.

I don't really have anything resembling a relationship with anyone, and never have. Hardly ever get to talk to anyone, even. I get sick to my stomach from it at times, but there's really not much I can do about it.

Also, Bonobos

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 pm

I turned into a stereotypical emo after being rejected by a girl who instead dated (and is still dating) a mirror image of me before said turning.

I'm not bitter or anything, I just want to rip his windpipe out with a rusty grapefruit spoon.
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 am

There was one girl I went on dates with a couple of times and there were a handful of times that I probably could have made it more. But those times were grossly inconvenient for one reason or another and now she's marrying some other guy soon.

He's a decent guy though. She did fine without me. And I'll probably do well without her. She was nice, though.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am

Roan Cara wrote:8 year or so total, 7 of those married. I would not say we are necessarily "stable" as in... its not always perfect, sometimes far from it. BUT I think we make it work because we love eachother. ACTIVELY. AKA we choose to stick it out through the hard times and we do our best to remember, even when we are really pissed off that underneath it all we love the other person and want to make it work. I think love and commitment are daily decisions and actions that are required to make any relationship work over the long haul. It will not always be starlight and romance and roses and perfect happy days, some days will really suck for various reasons and sometimes you may look at your partner and think UGH wtf did I do here? but through it all you love them and work with them to make a life for yourselves and you realize that you are not perfect, neither is your partner, but you can achieve perfection together through loving each other THROUGH your imperfections.

Roan, even when the day that suck, suck because of me and/or you, we still have each other. We vowed to face whatever life brings together, and we are doing so. the sucky parts are how we pay for the (oh so glorious) cool parts.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:17 am

Natair wrote:I turned into a stereotypical emo after being rejected by a girl who instead dated (and is still dating) a mirror image of me before said turning.

I'm not bitter or anything, I just want to rip his windpipe out with a rusty grapefruit spoon.

As a person who's been rejected more times than I can count, don't worry about it. It feels shit, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. You'll feel better, and quite possibly find someone new.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Roan Cara
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Roan Cara » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Roan Cara wrote:8 year or so total, 7 of those married. I would not say we are necessarily "stable" as in... its not always perfect, sometimes far from it. BUT I think we make it work because we love eachother. ACTIVELY. AKA we choose to stick it out through the hard times and we do our best to remember, even when we are really pissed off that underneath it all we love the other person and want to make it work. I think love and commitment are daily decisions and actions that are required to make any relationship work over the long haul. It will not always be starlight and romance and roses and perfect happy days, some days will really suck for various reasons and sometimes you may look at your partner and think UGH wtf did I do here? but through it all you love them and work with them to make a life for yourselves and you realize that you are not perfect, neither is your partner, but you can achieve perfection together through loving each other THROUGH your imperfections.

Roan, even when the day that suck, suck because of me and/or you, we still have each other. We vowed to face whatever life brings together, and we are doing so. the sucky parts are how we pay for the (oh so glorious) cool parts.

:kiss:
Married to Big Jim P- I will always love him-ALLways
Roan HaYashurah - Roan the Just... or straight...~Menassa
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss[/align]

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:49 am

Can't say, because I am unsure when it started, or if we can even really call it a relationship. I guess it makes us happy and that's what counts.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 am

It's kinda neat to be able to click the 10+ option. My partner and I have been involved for a bit over 11 years, although we have only been "officially" a couple for 10 of those.

It's not always easy, but what gets me through the rough patches is knowing that the very existence of my godless and sinful relationship pisses off about 47% of my fellow Americans.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:22 am

Bottle wrote:It's not always easy, but what gets me through the rough patches is knowing that the very existence of my godless and sinful relationship pisses off about 47% of my fellow Americans.

And that's the most important thing. :)
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:23 am

Zaras wrote:
Bottle wrote:It's not always easy, but what gets me through the rough patches is knowing that the very existence of my godless and sinful relationship pisses off about 47% of my fellow Americans.

It's like the old saying, "All you need is love smug self-statisfaction."
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 am

Roan Cara wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

:kiss:

Everyone, group hug!
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 am

About 10 months, ended two/three months ago.

The Excellent Republic of Broatia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Excellent Republic of Broatia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:56 am

Just been past my 4 year anniversary. Still going strong

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Bottle wrote:
Zaras wrote:

Amen to that.
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 am

Jormengand wrote:
Million Dollar Extreme wrote:I didn't want to have to do this but I'm reporting your egregious emotional terrorism and addiction to oppressive assaults me and other vulnerable people to the FBI.

http://puu.sh/1vFWj

5/10. I laughed a little.

I'm giving 9/10 for effort.

Galloism wrote:
greed and death wrote:See you both are in need of Greed and Death's marriage counseling services.

Isn't that like having a blind seeing eye dog?

:lol: This is getting sigged.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:22 am

Big Jim P wrote:

This is incredibly sweet. Incredibly sweet.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Can't stop thinking about the one time I was in a relationship, when a week later I got told no such thing was ever said and I never got a reason for it no longer existing.

Also, Bonobos

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Bottle wrote:
Zaras wrote:

I'll drink to that.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 pm

The longest without a break was about 2 years, then we broke up for 2 years, then for about a year we were sort of back together, then we broke up for good. A lot of this was a long distance thing, and one reason we ultimately broke up was because I realized we were never going to agree on where to live.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:44 am

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Can't stop thinking about the one time I was in a relationship, when a week later I got told no such thing was ever said and I never got a reason for it no longer existing.

Had something similar happen to me once.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 am

Trotskylvania wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Can't stop thinking about the one time I was in a relationship, when a week later I got told no such thing was ever said and I never got a reason for it no longer existing.

Had something similar happen to me once.

Then you became a communist hell-bent on destroying good, wholesome, American family oriented values. *nods*
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General