NATION

PASSWORD

Relationships:

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your longest relationship?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

1 day-1 week
16%
1-4 Weeks
8%
1-2 Months
3%
3-5 Months
12%
6-8 Months
6%
9 Months-1 Year
7%
1-2 Years
17%
3-5 Years
17%
5-10 Years
9%
10+ Years
8%

Total votes : 103

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:09 pm

greed and death wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:My current relationship. Going on 3 and a half years.

Gallo forgot the half year; you'd better throw something at him.

*Throws semicolon, apostrophe and d at G&D*

How do you like it, huh?
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:09 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:Never been in one. Most girls don't appeal to me that much - especially back in high school, that I just got out of.
I currently have a desperate crush on a girl in some of my classes who has a boyfriend already. She's pretty amazing.
And you know what's the worst part?
I think she might kinda like me too. Which gives me just enough hope to avoid crying myself to sleep, but not enough to actually, you know, give me a real chance anytime soon.
Maybe if I cut my ear off...?
I don't really get the whole "relationship" thing that well, really.

I have the same situation while I'm in high school D:
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:17 pm

My longest? Hm... it was in my final year in high school, lasted for 3 weeks, it was nothing special really. It was mutual breakup in the end.

Now that I think of it, I am finding myself attracted to a woman in my College lately. I don't know, I'll give it some thought.
This nation is now being retired.
Good-night, sweet prince.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

The Constitutional Land of Freedom
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Constitutional Land of Freedom » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Longest relationship isn't really applicable for me, as even if you did count the awesome friendship as a full out relationship, it's my first, and it has not ended.

I guess my main tip for showing her that you care would be trying to figure out her love language and then going from there. Ever heard of the five love languages? These are what I'm referring to. If you don't know what I'm talking about, they're love languages (words of affirmation, receiving gifts, quality time, physical touch, and acts of service) that everyone kinda has built in, and if you "speak" to them in their main love language(s), it will display your great love for her.

Anyway, http://www.5lovelanguages.com/ you can learn a bit more about them, and take a quiz thingy for both yours and someone else's love language. Hope that helps!

Rocopurr
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:I'm a lone Wolf.Never had a date, or a kiss or anything. But there will always be a gold digger who'll do anything for money.

If you're 17 I doubt you have a lot of cash...
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:20 pm

Jormengand wrote:
greed and death wrote:Gallo forgot the half year; you'd better throw something at him.

*Throws semicolon, apostrophe and d at G&D*

How do you like it, huh?

Feels like effective marriage counseling.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Stronbollia wrote:I would like to take a little break from the world of politics and like to connect with all of you on a personal level for a little bit.I am currently in a relationship thats about the month and a half right now. The longest relationship I've ever had was 1 year. To stabilize my relationships I am very nice to the girl, supportive, caring, etc. But I have problems being dominant and have trouble at times showing how I truly feel for her. I am curious to see what your guys longest relationship was and what strategies do you use to keep it stable?

What you need isn't dominance, it's confidence. It's not a contest of wills, it's a cooperation between partners.

It sounds trite, but communication and trust are pretty much the keys, in my experiences. And confidence. Not arrogance, not attempts to control, but respect yourself. As for showing her how you feel, even if stuff doesn't go the way you planned, making the effort is really important.

Also, remember, every woman is different, because, well, you know... people are different. That's why it's so hard to give general, sure-fire advice for relationships. What works with one partner might not work with another.

Eight years, this December, by the way.
Last edited by The Batorys on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:21 pm

greed and death wrote:
Jormengand wrote:*Throws semicolon, apostrophe and d at G&D*

How do you like it, huh?

Feels like effective marriage counseling.

*Throws s*

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:24 pm

Relationships are for functional people.

Plenty of relationships, all of them failures in one way or another. My last breakup left me so bitter than I haven't dared to enter another relationship since. Passing one chance after another does kind of fill me with an ever increasing sense of regret, but on the plus side at least I'm safe in the knowledge that a relationship can't go wrong if I'm not in one.

Apart from the bitter regret thing, I'm quite content and happy on my own. I enjoy my own company. That's probably a bad thing, but If I can keep a slim grip on reality then it's not doing any harm, really.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:41 pm

My longest relationship was eight years, three of which we were married. Honestly, that was the one that taught me 'stability' was way overrated; we should have gone our separate ways long before, but fear of being alone kept that zombie marriage shambling along.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 pm

greed and death wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:My current relationship. Going on 3 and a half years.

Gallo forgot the half year; you'd better throw something at him.

He has a terrible problem keeping track of time. :p
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:09 pm

I don't know.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:13 pm

I haven't been in one, I likely won't for quite a while, and I seem to have (again) developed a crush on this girl that's one of my best friends.

I am so screwed. And not literally.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 pm

None.

I do have a crush on someone(and have had for a long time).

I my self feel unable to get into a (romantic) relationship. All the guys I met just don't seem to cut it(in comparison to him), and I just can't get my self to get into a relationship with a girl either because I am unable to get over him.

I haven't seen him in over 6 years, and I miss him terribly...
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
greed and death wrote:Gallo forgot the half year; you'd better throw something at him.

I take it since your the only one to respond and you in a good mood you threw something at him and he is now unconscious ?

You know he will keep forgetting things if you keep throwing things at him.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:32 pm

greed and death wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I take it since your the only one to respond and you in a good mood you threw something at him and he is now unconscious ?

I'm not in the habit of abusing my partner, Greedy. ;)
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
greed and death wrote:I take it since your the only one to respond and you in a good mood you threw something at him and he is now unconscious ?

Much.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:33 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:I haven't been in one, I likely won't for quite a while, and I seem to have (again) developed a crush on this girl that's one of my best friends.

Seems like a similar problem to mine, but I develop false feelings because I'm desperate for some kind of contact and then go crazy over it. Doesn't work out well.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Galloism wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Much.

Would you consider me poking your belly button abuse? :p
Slava Ukraini

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:38 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Galloism wrote:Much.

See you both are in need of Greed and Death's marriage counseling services.
Barack Obama

Tiltjuice
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiltjuice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:39 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:I haven't been in one, I likely won't for quite a while, and I seem to have (again) developed a crush on this girl that's one of my best friends.

Seems like a similar problem to mine, but I develop false feelings because I'm desperate for some kind of contact and then go crazy over it. Doesn't work out well.

I used to have that problem. It sucks.
Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart. -Khalil Gibran
Cut red tape with the Red Book / Bureaucracy is a system - #ApplyTNI / Think globally, act locally
At fifteen, I set my heart on learning. At thirty, I was firmly established. At forty, I had no more doubts. At fifty, I knew the will of heaven. At sixty, I was ready to listen to it. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing what was right. ~Analects, 2:4
I wear teal, blue, pink, and red for Swith.
mumblemumblemumble

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:

We talk regularly now. I didn't even think this would happen... she moved way away, and I figured, "Welp, we're probably going to be drifting apart." Nope. I didn't figure not talking to her after a week or two would make me miss her, but here we are. And it seems (from the face value of what she says) she misses me too.

But I've already gotten the "like a brother" thing. That's been there for a while now. There were even times where I didn't even want to be around her at all, that's how things got between us on my end.

And yet, here we go again.

tl;dr Derp.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:46 pm

greed and death wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

See you both are in need of Greed and Death's marriage counseling services.

Isn't that like having a blind seeing eye dog?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Galloism wrote:
greed and death wrote:See you both are in need of Greed and Death's marriage counseling services.

Isn't that like having a blind seeing eye dog?

No it is more like being strapped to a chair having electrodes strapped to your naughty bits by an 18 year old assistant of mine and me giving your spouse the button to run on the juice. Who may well be upset that you got excited by the 18 year old assistant.
Barack Obama

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Stronbollia wrote:I would like to take a little break from the world of politics and like to connect with all of you on a personal level for a little bit.I am currently in a relationship thats about the month and a half right now. The longest relationship I've ever had was 1 year. To stabilize my relationships I am very nice to the girl, supportive, caring, etc. But I have problems being dominant and have trouble at times showing how I truly feel for her. I am curious to see what your guys longest relationship was and what strategies do you use to keep it stable?

My longest relationship is 21 years and counting...

yea but what is koshka's? :p
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General