NATION

PASSWORD

The 2012 phenomenon

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sardine World
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sardine World » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Are we seriously arguing about what a valid source is?

seriously its like 5+6th grade education

come on guys
Economic Left/Right: 6.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05
Updated 3/22/15

Potlimitomaha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Potlimitomaha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Love- USA, Israel, Democratic Republicanism, Zionists(all of them),Kurdistan,Obamacare, Unions,Marriage Equality, Med Marijuana, Pro-choice, Feminists, Vegans (more for me), passive animals, 2nd amendment,World Peace.
Hate-Iran, Nazis, Anti-semitism, Islamophobia, Homophobia, all other Hate, Social conservatism, Absolute Monarchism, Uneccesary foreign intervention, rec marijuana, Intactivism, radical Feminists,Animal cruelty, PETA, North Korea.U.N.
TG me if you think of anything else.
MAKE LOVE NOT WAR - Put this in your signature if you agree.

☻/ This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so he can rule earth.
/ \

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:http://www.december212012.com/

Conspiracy website. In fact some of the things they cite like NASA, have time and tim again called their stuff bullshit.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Potlimitomaha wrote:http://www.december212012.com/

Conspiracy website. In fact some of the things they cite like NASA, have time and tim again called their stuff bullshit.

Time and tim wait for no man. ;)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Megaloria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Megaloria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

The REAL 2012 phenomenon is that, in that movie, John Cusack can drive anything.
Here's to the losers, bless them all.

Lalo Limahina
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalo Limahina » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

Potlimitomaha wrote:
Lalo Limahina wrote:Potlimitomaha, the only "how" you've provided was
1. Economical collapse, for which you later withdrew and said, "recession," but clearly we've had some pretty bad ones and the world didn't go into the middle ages again. I'm preparing for an economic collapse which everyone knows is possible and will happen in the future
2. Flares, which you cited NASA on, but didn't provide a link. Helpfully, someone did for you, which took out your entire argument, as NASA said flares would not cause a collapse.
3. WW3, which had a few possible explanations: 1. electricity shortage- that's from a TV show, not real life. 2. people will just not like each other- logically, this is flawed beyond explanation.

There are also a few major flaws throughout your arguments: no sources, no logic, no explanation, contradictory information. All of these have been pointed out before, as well as specific refutations from other posters.

On NSG, we like to hear good debate. Because you are one of the few that has chosen to speak up on the "pro-apocalypse" side, which I commend you for, by the way, you have to provide an argument if you want to debate. The key line is this: If you want to have people believe your opinion, you need to argue for it with facts, logic, and sources. Otherwise, there's no use in responding to your claims.

If you don't want to continue, feel free to stop. If you want to continue your methods so far, I think the other people on this thread are probably done trying to coax information out of you. If you want to back up your claims with information, it would be warmly welcomed (I hope).

I'm preparing for an economic collapse which everyone knows is possible. I pointed to the recession as proof that the western world is not immune from collapsing.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/.../ ... global-eco

http://www.washingtontimes.com/.../us-e ... ule-to-cra

http://www.wealthdaily.com/.../survivin ... nomic-coll

Electricity shortage- that's from a TV show, not real life.- when did i say that, Electric shortages are a result not a cause. 2. people will just not like each other- logically, this is flawed beyond explanation- You really think that a nuclear war is not possible. considering that if Israel nukes the Iranian nuke program, it would force the western world and the muslim world to go into a global WW3.

Your first link is from a biased source that picks individualized information from flawed studies in order to back up its claim. Your other two links turn up as 404 not found. So far, no evidence.

"Electric shortages are a result not a cause."- Ok, let's say they are a result. Still, you haven't shown us how the collapse will happen.

"You really think that a nuclear war is not possible."- I think it is practically impossible, but truth be told, you can't say for sure either way. Let's look at your explanation below.

"considering that if Israel nukes the Iranian nuke program, it would force the western world and the muslim world to go into a global WW3."- Now this isn't logically true. While the Muslim Middle East doesn't like Israel, they don't especially like the fact that Iran is developing a nuclear program either. (See: this and this and there's also plenty more out there. You can visit links from the Wikipedia article, found here)

So a disarmament of the nukes without a war would be beneficial. Is that going to happen? Probably not, but what can be seen is that the "western world" and the "muslim world" (these terms are far too general) do not bow in to external pressure. Both are fiercely independent, and there would be no "forcing" involved. Now, I understand you are trying to make the point that there would be increased tensions, and that's true. There would be. But it is in neither countries' interests to start a full war (see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ttack-iran).

So you don't have an argument yet. Keep coming with the sources, and good luck.
A puppet of Maklohi Vai
A proud member of AO - THE place

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:09 pm

I have been proven right!
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Megaloria wrote:The REAL 2012 phenomenon is that, in that movie, John Cusack can drive anything.

Or limousines can survive jumps.

Anyway...

...one of the things that fascinates me about religion is there had to be a 'patient zero' somewhere, someone who kind of at least knew in the back of their head that they were making this shit up. Tired of pointing out the obvious, "because it smells awesome and when there are 50 or so sweaty farmers packing in this un-airconditioned building you all fucking stink," the guy with the incense had to at one point just decided, "because it wards off evil spirits" and that shit stuck.

Even if you're religious, you've picked one and believe the others made their shit up. Just in case you were about to get mad at me calling religion made up.

But...still, where does some of this shit come from...like this:
French officials have banned access to the Pic de Bugarach to avoid a rush of New Age fanatics, sightseers and, above all, journalists [due to] the rumour that the mountain in south-west France will burst open on December 21st revealing an alien spaceship which will carry nearby humans to safety.

What the fuck? Who comes up with this shit?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Megaloria wrote:The REAL 2012 phenomenon is that, in that movie, John Cusack can drive anything.

Or limousines can survive jumps.

Anyway...

...one of the things that fascinates me about religion is there had to be a 'patient zero' somewhere, someone who kind of at least knew in the back of their head that they were making this shit up. Tired of pointing out the obvious, "because it smells awesome and when there are 50 or so sweaty farmers packing in this un-airconditioned building you all fucking stink," the guy with the incense had to at one point just decided, "because it wards off evil spirits" and that shit stuck.

Even if you're religious, you've picked one and believe the others made their shit up. Just in case you were about to get mad at me calling religion made up.

French officials have banned access to the Pic de Bugarach to avoid a rush of New Age fanatics, sightseers and, above all, journalists [due to] the rumour that the mountain in south-west France will burst open on December 21st revealing an alien spaceship which will carry nearby humans to safety.

It's a mixture of trolling and Poe's law, I think.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Or limousines can survive jumps.

Anyway...

It's a mixture of trolling and Poe's law, I think.

I always thought it was a way to drum up Tourism for a few weeks to make the locals money to buy stuff for Xmas.

Now if only I can turn this into a pick up line.
How does this sound?
Hey baby there is an alien spaceship in my bed with room for two, that will save us in the event of Apocalypse sound ?

Rate from would only work on a drunk undergrad, to would work on an employed married lesbian professional.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:41 pm

greed and death wrote:
Galloism wrote:It's a mixture of trolling and Poe's law, I think.

I always thought it was a way to drum up Tourism for a few weeks to make the locals money to buy stuff for Xmas.

Now if only I can turn this into a pick up line.
How does this sound?
Hey baby there is an alien spaceship in my bed with room for two, that will save us in the event of Apocalypse sound ?

Rate from would only work on a drunk undergrad, to would work on an employed married lesbian professional.

The scale is awesome because the lowest point on the scale is still an acceptable outcome.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:53 pm

It is said that Gandhi lived his last years "as if he were already dead".

That's a good model to follow. Then you will be inwardly serene no matter what.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm

Pope Joan wrote:It is said that Gandhi lived his last years "as if he were already dead".

How does one live as if already dead? Dig a six foot hole and sleep in a pine box?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:It is said that Gandhi lived his last years "as if he were already dead".

How does one live as if already dead? Dig a six foot hole and sleep in a pine box?

No, it's just his follower's polite way of saying he walked around pretending he was invisible and occasionally going, "BOOOGITY BOOOGITY BOO!" and throwing stuff around the kitchen making "wooooooooo" sounds.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Khadgar wrote:

Only if you don't plan on being cremated. Which I would recommend avoiding if you are planning on that sort of life.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Potlimitomaha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Potlimitomaha » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:05 pm

If Nation States isn't shut down due to the apocalypse, I will be here on Dec 23 renouncing and denouncing all apocalyptic propphesies and theories.
Love- USA, Israel, Democratic Republicanism, Zionists(all of them),Kurdistan,Obamacare, Unions,Marriage Equality, Med Marijuana, Pro-choice, Feminists, Vegans (more for me), passive animals, 2nd amendment,World Peace.
Hate-Iran, Nazis, Anti-semitism, Islamophobia, Homophobia, all other Hate, Social conservatism, Absolute Monarchism, Uneccesary foreign intervention, rec marijuana, Intactivism, radical Feminists,Animal cruelty, PETA, North Korea.U.N.
TG me if you think of anything else.
MAKE LOVE NOT WAR - Put this in your signature if you agree.

☻/ This is Bob, copy& paste him in
/▌ your sig so he can rule earth.
/ \

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:09 pm

It's not really any different than Y2K. That was the last really big "doomsday prophecy" I can remember. Hell, Y2K was actually bigger in some respects since so much effort was spent trying to "prevent" it.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

San Leggera
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San Leggera » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:If Nation States isn't shut down due to the apocalypse, I will be here on Dec 23 renouncing and denouncing all apocalyptic propphesies and theories.

You already said that a couple of pages back. No need to repeat yourself.

Regardless, nothing is going to happen. You've hyped yourself up over nothing.
#JusticeForGat
Flag | CoA | Map (bigger!)
I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral

Hydronium
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydronium » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Mkuki wrote:It's utter bullshit. Predictions have come and been disproven. It will just be another cold day filled with parents frantically shopping for Christmas presents.

So True

Conservative Idealism
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Idealism » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:THe mayans, Nostradamus, the ancient chinese, the Hindu bible, the southwest native american tribes and NASA all predicted 2012. THey can't all be wrong

I wonder what they're all doing now.
*checks*
The Mayans were subjugated by the Spanish. Weaksauce.
Nostradamus was a dude that made a living selling magic potions, and suckered people by making very, very vague predictions of the future. I can do that, too! *ahem* You will blink and breathe until you die.
The ancient Chinese are nothing like the communist nation present in that area today. They died a long time ago, like the Mayans.
The Vedas are full of all kinds of whimsical stories (they're certainly more creative than the Bible, I'll give them that).
The Native American tribes have also been subjugated. Most cultural heritage in this field is lost.
NASA's too lazy to get us anywhere in space, so they've resorted to claiming they can't get us to Mars before the end of the world. Yeah, great trick.

Out of all of these, very few (to none at all) specified that it would occur on the morning of December 21st. They're all practically (aside from some of NASA, literally) dead. The end of their world came way before this year.

3 State Alliance
Minister

Founded: Jul 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 3 State Alliance » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Personally I was under the impression that December 21,2012 was the date on which winter solstice falls on both the lunar calender and solar calender. Apparently this is a vary rare occurrence, that, for the Mayans, symbolized "a new time", whatever that means...
"Lets introduce these savages to the 20th century! All ranks, fire at will."
Commissar Maria Smith, The Siege of High Reach

Benomia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Benomia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:36 pm

Conservative Idealism wrote:NASA's too lazy to get us anywhere in space, so they've resorted to claiming they can't get us to Mars before the end of the world. Yeah, great trick.

NASA doesn't have government founding anymore. Do you know how much it costs to send stuff into space?

3 State Alliance wrote:Personally I was under the impression that December 21,2012 was the date on which winter solstice falls on both the lunar calender and solar calender. Apparently this is a vary rare occurrence, that, for the Mayans, symbolized "a new time", whatever that means...

That's not remotely true.
Remembering games, and daisy chains, and laughs...Got to keep the loonies on the path.
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:You've obviously never seen the Benomian M16A3s.
Carathon wrote:*Logs in with the name of Troll Alliance and writes a short app with poor grammar and logic.*Somehow genuinely surprised when denied*
Ragnarum wrote:Ragnarum transforms into a giant godzilla like creature, then walks into the sunset while emotional music plays and Morgan Freeman narrates.
Kouralia wrote:Everyone hates us: we're MMW. We're like the poster children of Realismfggtry.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
(-9.8, -10.0)
Map of Benomia
NS's Resident Floydian
Left 4 Dead RP
Want me to explain life to you?

Caelicolus
Secretary

Founded: Oct 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caelicolus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Here's what NASA said about the world ending:

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:THe mayans, Nostradamus, the ancient chinese, the Hindu bible, the southwest native american tribes and NASA all predicted 2012. THey can't all be wrong

NASA doesn't endorse your nonsense, but in response to the others...

Fuck yes they can all be wrong!

Lalo Limahina
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalo Limahina » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Potlimitomaha wrote:If Nation States isn't shut down due to the apocalypse, I will be here on Dec 23 renouncing and denouncing all apocalyptic propphesies and theories.

Let me see. You're currently making "apocalyptic propphesies[sic] and theories." Therefore, you are denouncing what you have said, acting in contradiction to your stated beliefs, and therefore voiding your arguments. Explain, please.
A puppet of Maklohi Vai
A proud member of AO - THE place

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General