NATION

PASSWORD

Christmas Tree Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christmas Tree

Real tree before Thanksgiving
1%
Real tree after Thanksgiving
33%
Fake tree before Thanksgiving
1%
Fake tree after Thanksgiving
38%
I leave it up all year round
1%
Tree? What tree?
11%
I don't do Christmas. But when I do...
9%
Christmas sucks.
5%

Total votes : 91

Winland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Winland » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:03 am

We got some potted palm trees around we can use for xmas trees.
In other words — and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded — their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 am

I remember once when I was little, we cut our own tree - got the permit, went out in the snow, found just the right one ... it was awesome. For the longest time, we would at least go get a real one. I protested loudly when they got a fake the first time. I stubbornly persisted in my 'grr, argh, not real' argument for years. I still miss the smell and look tbh.

When we moved out here to Iowa, my folks came out at that first Thanksgiving, and bought us a very nice fake one, with a nifty light base that can change colors and patterns through a rotating disc system and fiber optics. Part of me was thankful. Part of me was still somewhat bitter. Point of fact is, with all the other expense of the holidays, the ridiculous prices folks charge for a tree these days makes it a bit prohibitive, and taking good care of a nice fake tree can get you more than your money's worth for a lot of years. And no drying out, needles all over, extra fire risk, and disposal issues to boot.

Man I hate the modern age sometimes. >_<

Still, it's nice to have up when we can. On the years we've traveled back to Utah for Christmas, we haven't put one up due to the extra bother, and our front room here having not a lot of room to begin with. I think I'm getting old and crabby, because nowadays, it seems the holidays overall are more stress and less enjoyment, and we as a people seem to have more or less lost the real meaning behind them: Time with family, sharing good memories with those you love, charity, thankfulness, giving, and even forgiving, renewing hopes for the year ahead, and other good things.

Instead it's sale this, and hurry up and buy that, and oh look, extended hours we're gonna force our people to work, denying them their own fair share of holiday so that the rest of you sheep can get your asses in here and spend more money on overpriced items that are largely unneeded, but advertised with such ferocity that you'll believe you can't live without them, all in an effort to satisfy the growing attitude of 'me, mine, want, deserve, everyone else has'.

Yeah, guess you could say I'm getting a little burned out. I do miss growing up where yes, we spent time pouring over the big Sears catalog and dreaming of all the incredible things we found, but at the same time, emphasis was on family, and giving. We spent more time planning on what to get others. My folks always had a Secret/Sub for Santa project. One year, when our cousins were in a particularly bad spot, we gave up a good chunk of our Christmas to make sure they had one. My parents didn't take care of it all - we all did, as a family, going out and actively taking part in choosing and wrapping and delivering.

So yes. We're down to fake trees, and attempting to keep the spirit amidst all the stress and greed. Huzzah. /rant

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:22 am

If only Monsanto would put aside their evil ways, and genetically engineer a Christmas tree that would live happily as a house plant in a centrally-heated room. With their resources it would have been my second project.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 am

A nice tiny little fake one that can sit nice on my coffee table. I'll go to my folks' place on Christmas morning, so no need to worry too much about decorating and all that stuff. A few baubles and a little angel on top, that'll do I think.

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:04 am

I don't put a tree up, or any form of decoration.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:17 am

In this case, fake is better

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 am

I'd much rather do a real tree, but just can't be arsed to go out and get one. No place around here that is anywhere close by (read: less then 50 miles away), and all the trees around here are protected property.
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

Megaloria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Megaloria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:48 am

We get a real, 8 foot tall, ten foot wide (at the base) bushy monster of a treee ach year and put it up usually the second week of December to ensure that it's still retaining needles well into the new year. We take it down second week of January, and trim off all the boughs to use as insulation for the garden.
Here's to the losers, bless them all.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004

Postby SquareDisc City » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 am

A 5 foot artificial tree we have goes up a few days before Christmas, and is decorated by myself and my mum with lots of arguments. It stays up until I can be bothered to remove it; last year, that was February.

We used to get real trees, but one too many vacuum cleaners destroyed from picking up the needle drop made us stop. When we did, we normally got potted ones, and sometimes planted them in the garden after Christmas. One of these in our current house established and is now an 8 foot high spruce that I'm minded to put some outdoor lights on.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:54 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I remember once when I was little, we cut our own tree - got the permit, went out in the snow, found just the right one ... it was awesome. For the longest time, we would at least go get a real one. I protested loudly when they got a fake the first time. I stubbornly persisted in my 'grr, argh, not real' argument for years. I still miss the smell and look tbh.

When we moved out here to Iowa, my folks came out at that first Thanksgiving, and bought us a very nice fake one, with a nifty light base that can change colors and patterns through a rotating disc system and fiber optics. Part of me was thankful. Part of me was still somewhat bitter. Point of fact is, with all the other expense of the holidays, the ridiculous prices folks charge for a tree these days makes it a bit prohibitive, and taking good care of a nice fake tree can get you more than your money's worth for a lot of years. And no drying out, needles all over, extra fire risk, and disposal issues to boot.

Still, it's nice to have up when we can. On the years we've traveled back to Utah for Christmas, we haven't put one up due to the extra bother, and our front room here having not a lot of room to begin with. I think I'm getting old and crabby, because nowadays, it seems the holidays overall are more stress and less enjoyment, and we as a people seem to have more or less lost the real meaning behind them: Time with family, sharing good memories with those you love, charity, thankfulness, giving, and even forgiving, renewing hopes for the year ahead, and other good things.

Instead it's sale this, and hurry up and buy that, and oh look, extended hours we're gonna force our people to work, denying them their own fair share of holiday so that the rest of you sheep can get your asses in here and spend more money on overpriced items that are largely unneeded, but advertised with such ferocity that you'll believe you can't live without them, all in an effort to satisfy the growing attitude of 'me, mine, want, deserve, everyone else has'.

Yeah, guess you could say I'm getting a little burned out. I do miss growing up where yes, we spent time pouring over the big Sears catalog and dreaming of all the incredible things we found, but at the same time, emphasis was on family, and giving. We spent more time planning on what to get others. My folks always had a Secret/Sub for Santa project. One year, when our cousins were in a particularly bad spot, we gave up a good chunk of our Christmas to make sure they had one. My parents didn't take care of it all - we all did, as a family, going out and actively taking part in choosing and wrapping and delivering.

So yes. We're down to fake trees, and attempting to keep the spirit amidst all the stress and greed. Huzzah. /rant

So I didn't read all of this, but if I get it straight I should give you a Christmas tree with a lot of changing colours and patterns.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 am

You know, the more I think of it, maybe I'll get a itty bitty live one. I miss having that nice Christmas smell - the smell of cold mixed with pine and mulled wine.

Megaloria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 07, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Megaloria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:59 am

Serrland wrote:You know, the more I think of it, maybe I'll get a itty bitty live one. I miss having that nice Christmas smell - the smell of cold mixed with pine and mulled wine.

This may be the most important part of the whole tree experience.
Here's to the losers, bless them all.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:02 am

Serrland wrote:You know, the more I think of it, maybe I'll get a itty bitty live one. I miss having that nice Christmas smell - the smell of cold mixed with pine and mulled wine.

here in new mexico the smell of christmas is the juniper smoke coming from people's fireplaces and wood stoves. it is so very nice to be out walking the dogs and smelling that beautiful scent.

(ok maybe its only the scent of christmas to me, i didnt grow up here.)

i bought a little christmas wreath at walmart of friday. that is going to be the limit of my decorations this year.
whatever

Khelshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khelshar » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:04 am

Maybe a week or two before Christmas, we will got and buy a real tree, and make it ready. We will start decorating it a week before Christmas. And then we start laying present under it! I can barley wait for Christmas! :clap:
Nation under re-construction

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 am

A fake one.

The Cosmos
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cosmos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I remember once when I was little, we cut our own tree - got the permit, went out in the snow, found just the right one ... it was awesome. For the longest time, we would at least go get a real one. I protested loudly when they got a fake the first time. I stubbornly persisted in my 'grr, argh, not real' argument for years. I still miss the smell and look tbh.

It took me four days to read your post. All I can say is that you should write and publish an autobiography.
Proud to be the last poster on the Flaming Wombat. The last words were:
"Relegate the potate"
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
Olthar wrote:Awesome. From now on, I'll wear only thin leather straps covering my nipples and undercarriage.

New Maldorainia wrote:Alcohol, tobacco and firearms should be a store, not a government agency.

Thafoo wrote:
Merconitonitopia wrote:~First world problems - waking up.

~Third world problems - not waking up.

Uieurnthlaal wrote:Oh, I see, he's asexual but likes riding bisexuals. I meant bicycles.

Broccoli
Secretary

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Broccoli » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 pm

The Cosmos wrote:

It took me four days to read your post. All I can say is that you should write and publish an autobiography.

The least you could do was put Nathicana's post in a spoiler. :lol:
I fart in your general direction.

Uirokeilendh
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uirokeilendh » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm

This account is owned by: Conscentia/Hersilia and Ellada

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:18 pm

I leave it up all year round

Whenever I see that I think of the Garfield Comics :p
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:22 pm

New Sindo wrote:
Kemalist wrote:I'll buy a fake one. I think the cutting of real trees just for this purpose should be banned to protect the nature.

YESYESYES. Don't chop of trees! :(

You've never heard of a Christmas tree farm have you? Where pine trees are grown just to be cut for Christmas trees. That's basically like saying don't harvest that corn it's been there for a couple months... and it was... just planted... by that farmer...!
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Broccoli
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Broccoli » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Aglrinia wrote:
New Sindo wrote:YESYESYES. Don't chop of trees! :(

You've never heard of a Christmas tree farm have you? Where pine trees are grown just to be cut for Christmas trees. That's basically like saying don't harvest that corn it's been there for a couple months... and it was... just planted... by that farmer...!

Or like don't eat that broccoli we just planted it...its nature. BROCCOLI IS MEANT FOR EATING!
:lol2:

The Cosmos
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cosmos » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

That was random. :)
Proud to be the last poster on the Flaming Wombat. The last words were:
"Relegate the potate"
I support thermonuclear warfare. Do you?
Olthar wrote:Awesome. From now on, I'll wear only thin leather straps covering my nipples and undercarriage.

New Maldorainia wrote:Alcohol, tobacco and firearms should be a store, not a government agency.

Thafoo wrote:
Merconitonitopia wrote:~First world problems - waking up.

~Third world problems - not waking up.

Uieurnthlaal wrote:Oh, I see, he's asexual but likes riding bisexuals. I meant bicycles.

Broccoli
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Broccoli » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:07 pm

The Cosmos wrote:That was random. :)

I'm a random person. :p

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm

My parents have a secular household, there is no Christmas tree and we don't do Christmas things. :meh:
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 pm

How can anyone make a real tree last from before Thanksgiving (especially on years like this)?

It's hard enough making them last for the month of December without losing color and needles. That could just be my experience though, with my black thumb and all.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General