NATION

PASSWORD

Roman Catholic Priests to be violated in Australia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:One should never be arrested or detained for urges or feelings.

No but it should be reported so the police can look into the issue.

I'm sorry, what? "I'm very sorry, Detective, but I was at confession, and I heard a confession that someone had fantasies about blowing things up, and I just thought you should know."
FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

Hey, Dash, why do they call it a hacksaw? It doesn't hack, that's what I was doing with the knife!
Da orkz is da best.
A new member of the Allied Independent States, and NATO.
#QVMV

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Khornate Worshippers wrote:
Indeos wrote:
Like I said before, people generally think child molestation is the worst possible crime. It'll make people think the government cares about morality without causing undue tension between church and state.

Yes, but we're talking, not about what's good for the government, but whether it's a good thing itself.

Considering the 'undue tension' will only be possible if we can make certain we've got everyone who is participating in the crime. Also, more to the point, if doing this will cause these crimes to be caught a) faster and b) more often.

Neutraligon wrote:
I think it should be required in all situations, and not for the purpose of a trial, but rather used as a method to prevent crime.It should not in any circumstance be used as the only evidence in a trial.

Okay, now, see, /this/ is a view I can get behind. I don't think that we can prevent crime, but stop it after the fact.

Also, absolution requiring self reporting, whatcha think?

I don't know anything about absolution so i can't answer that question. If absolution is part of the forgiveness part of confession than in the case of serious crimes (rape, murder, anything affecting vulnerable populations (i.e. children) then why not. I don't think minor crimes should need to be reported.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Indeos
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Indeos » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Indeos wrote:
Like I said before, people generally think child molestation is the worst possible crime. It'll make people think the government cares about morality without causing undue tension between church and state.

Yes, but we're talking, not about what's good for the government, but whether it's a good thing itself.

Considering the 'undue tension' will only be possible if we can make certain we've got everyone who is participating in the crime. Also, more to the point, if doing this will cause these crimes to be caught a) faster and b) more often.[quote]

I think at best it would temporarily make criminals caught easier, and even then only if the law isn't widely-known and the priests don't begin warning people that confession offers no legal protection. I'm not saying that it's good for the government; my point was that an all-or-none approach doesn't make any sense to me. I feel it would cause more problems than it'd be worth.
Come listen to my mate at http://stressfactor.co.uk/new2007/home.html every Thursday, 5-6pm EST!
Or http://kraftyradio.com/ every Sunday, 6-7pm EST!
Or check out his SoundCloud(Free Music DL): http://soundcloud.com/sergeant-sheep
And for some cool art and electronics' skins(different friend): http://thesk.in/
‎"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster, and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
Dear Jenrak - Give cancer the banhammer!
Serious Name: The Imperial Fiefdoms of Indeos
NSG: Proud Honorary Son of the Sea Queen Of Connaught
Long Live The Community! Long Live Max!

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:http://aifs.govspace.gov.au/2012/06/08/mandatory-reporting-of-child-abuse-and-neglect/

Federal Government wrote:In addition to state and territory law, there are provisions within Commonwealth legislation that relate to mandatory reporting. Under the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth), personnel from the Family Court of Australia, the Federal Magistrates Court and the Family Court of Western Australia also have mandatory reporting obligations. This includes registrars, family counsellors, family dispute resolution practitioners or arbitrators, and lawyers independently representing children’s interests. Section 67ZA states that when in the course of performing duties or functions, or exercising powers, the above court personnel have reasonable grounds for suspecting that a child has been abused, or is at risk of being abused, the person must, as soon as practicable, notify a prescribed child welfare authority of his or her suspicion and the basis for the suspicion.

I don't see a lawyer representing a suspected pedophile in there.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I'm sorry, what? "I'm very sorry, Detective, but I was at confession, and I heard a confession that someone had fantasies about blowing things up, and I just thought you should know."

Exactly the vibe I got from that.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Needs to be more specific than that. I have fantasies of blowing this school up at this time...Fantasies mean nothing, it is when fantasies becomes plans that the reporting should be done.
Just A Little though

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Needs to be more specific than that. I have fantasies of blowing this school up at this time...Fantasies mean nothing, it is when fantasies becomes plans that the reporting should be done.

Conspiracy to commit a crime is completely and utterly different from "feelings and urges", which you said should be given to police should they be heard, even in confidence.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Considering the 'undue tension' will only be possible if we can make certain we've got everyone who is participating in the crime. Also, more to the point, if doing this will cause these crimes to be caught a) faster and b) more often.

Okay, now, see, /this/ is a view I can get behind. I don't think that we can prevent crime, but stop it after the fact.

Also, absolution requiring self reporting, whatcha think?

I don't know anything about absolution so i can't answer that question. If absolution is part of the forgiveness part of confession than in the case of serious crimes (rape, murder, anything affecting vulnerable populations (i.e. children) then why not. I don't think minor crimes should need to be reported.

Absolution is the entirety of the forgiveness part.
FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

Hey, Dash, why do they call it a hacksaw? It doesn't hack, that's what I was doing with the knife!
Da orkz is da best.
A new member of the Allied Independent States, and NATO.
#QVMV

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

you knowl.... when i read the OP i had a completely diferrent image in my mind..

you, st jade, should work for the ny post.

to write a serious response i woukd need a reak keyboard, and i am not going to have that for a week.

the qyick response, is your not a catholic
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Conspiracy to commit a crime is completely and utterly different from "feelings and urges", which you said should be given to police should they be heard, even in confidence.

Sorry, I tend not to explain well what I mean. It is conspiracy to commit that a doctor has to report and what I believe should be done. I thnk two things should occur.

Priests should be required to report conspiracy to commit crimes
for absolution for serious crimes, the person being confessed should be required to admit to the crime to the police (required by the priest)
Last edited by Neutraligon on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Auralia wrote:

I don't see a lawyer representing a suspected pedophile in there.

Mandatory reporting includes Officers of the Federal Magistrates Court, and the Family Law Court, which could reasonably be lawyers representing paedophiles. In the NT at least, anyone who suspects sexual abuse of children is subject to the laws.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm

This is a tricky one for me. There's a reason why confessions are private. Because you, with the priest as the intermediary, confess your sins to God. You pray over it and you are absolved assuming you are sincerely apologetic.

Yet at the same time, I don't have any sympathy for those who molest children, especially priests who give the rest of them a bad name (as the OP attempted to cleverly joke about their violation). It's really a slippery slope, but at the end of the day, molestation is an evil that plagues the church and that needs to be eradicated.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:32 pm

I was honestly hoping this would involve Steve Irwin returning to sodomise the priests.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Distributist Chestertonia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Distributist Chestertonia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:So Roman Catholic priests, in a rather ironic twist, are claiming that proposed new laws will violate their most sacred and sacrosanct beliefs, by requiring priests to break the confessional seal and engage in the same mandatory reporting that every other profession is bound by.

Basically, if a priest confesses to paedophilia, they are required to report said priest to the authorities.

I'm unsure what the problem is.

The problem is the priest is acting in the person of Jesus when he hears confessions. For Christians Jesus is the most trustworthy of friends. Now, imagine if you'd confessed something which you'd truly regretted to your best friend. You genuinely expressed your sorrow for it and wished not to do it again. And he knew that. He knows you wouldn't tell him that unless you were repentant of that.

Would that not betray your trust in that friend if he'd accused you of a sin he once would have forgiven? The reason we have confession to a priest is so that we can feel we have someone we can tell our deepest, darkest secrets and regrets, so someone knows we wished we hadn't done it. Everyone ought to have the right to be honest to someone about his sins without incriminating himself. Wouldn't you say?

God gives us this opportunity to seek amnesty from Him. To allow a priest to violate that peace offering would be to undo the point of confession. It is a violation of our fundamental right to our religion, our binding ourselves to God, and of His right to reach out to us.

Why do we not speak of the rights of God?
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly." - G.K. Chesterton

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distributist Chestertonia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I was honestly hoping this would involve Steve Irwin returning to sodomise the priests.

:rofl:

You, too?!
Last edited by Distributist Chestertonia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Distributist Chestertonia wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:So Roman Catholic priests, in a rather ironic twist, are claiming that proposed new laws will violate their most sacred and sacrosanct beliefs, by requiring priests to break the confessional seal and engage in the same mandatory reporting that every other profession is bound by.

Basically, if a priest confesses to paedophilia, they are required to report said priest to the authorities.

The problem is the priest is acting in the person of Jesus when he hears confessions. For Christians Jesus is the most trustworthy of friends. Now, imagine if you'd confessed something which you'd truly regretted to your best friend. You genuinely expressed your sorrow for it and wished not to do it again. And he knew that. He knows you wouldn't tell him that unless you were repentant of that.

Would that not betray your trust in that friend if he'd accused you of a sin he once would have forgiven? The reason we have confession to a priest is so that we can feel we have someone we can tell our deepest, darkest secrets and regrets, so someone knows we wished we hadn't done it. Everyone ought to have the right to be honest to someone about his sins without incriminating himself. Wouldn't you say?

God gives us this opportunity to seek amnesty from Him. To allow a priest to violate that peace offering would be to undo the point of confession. It is a violation of our fundamental right to our religion, our binding ourselves to God, and of His right to reach out to us.

Because the concept has yet to be proven to exist in a meaningful way.

You cannot gain forgivness through God for crimes that you have committed against another person. You can only gain forgivness from the person you wronged. Your friend cannot forgive you for something that you did to your little brother. Only your little brother can forgive you.
Last edited by Seperates on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm

"I'm going to kill John, Father."

"That's nice, you're forgiven."

1 week later, John is dead.

I know I'm simplifying how confession works, but without this law, that's what's going to happen. Australians don't like this happening, evidently. I think God should allow what Australians want. Free will and all that.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Norstal wrote:

1 week later, John is dead.

I know I'm simplifying how confession works, but without this law, that's what's going to happen. Australians don't like this happening, evidently. I think God should allow what Australians want. Free will and all that.

Uh, the most likely event is that people stop going to confession for that kind of thing.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distributist Chestertonia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Norstal wrote:

Sorry, mate. This argument misunderstands the sacrament of confession.
You cannot be forgiven for sins you intend to commit in the future - only those you have already done.

We had a controversy over this already, back in the 1500s. Priests making stuff up about being able to forgive future sins. Completely ungrounded in truth. Jesus nor the Apostles forgave future sins, and neither do our priests to this day. It's already been proven wrong.
Last edited by Distributist Chestertonia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Norstal wrote:"I'm going to kill John, Father."

You cannot be forgiven for sins you intend to commit in the future - only those you have already done.

We had a controversy over this already, back in the 1500s. Priests making stuff up about being able to forgive future sins. Completely ungrounded in truth. Jesus nor the Apostles forgave future sins, and neither do our priests to this day. It's already been proven wrong.

Pretty sure you can forgive sinful thoughts though.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Uh, the most likely event is that people stop going to confession for that kind of thing.

I doubt anyone even does that, but the police should be able to question anyone, right? Ask who has been going to confessions, what they confessed about, etc. And if the priest refuses to comply, well, misdirection is a sin. Now that I kind of think about it, it's a catch 22.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 pm

Norstal wrote:"I'm going to kill John, Father."

I don't give a crap about the rituals. What I do care about is prevention of crime and enforcement of law. You can't enforce the law when there are witnesses obstructing justice. Your argument can only guarantee the protection of religious rituals, but ignores the workings of anything outside that religion.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Pretty sure you can forgive sinful thoughts though.

Indeed. If it makes you feel better, change "I want to kill" to "I've been thinking of killing..."

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Your beliefs about the rite of confession should not trump the right of children to be protected from violation. Which is what happens.

Priests confess that they have sinful thoughts towards children. They are absolved, go on to abuse children, and confess again that they are repentant, that they didn't mean to. Then they do it again, and are repentant.

Many paedophiles are genuinely disgusted by themselves and their urges. They are often genuinely repentant of the harm that they cause. But they continue to abuse children, because their urges outweigh their self-disgust. Since this is the case, we need to do what we can to protect children - ie the innocent.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Distributist Chestertonia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Norstal wrote:

I don't give a crap about the rituals. What I do care about is prevention of crime and enforcement of law. You can't enforce the law when there are witnesses obstructing justice. Your argument can only guarantee the protection of religious rituals, but ignores the workings of anything outside that religion.

Right. So if I tell a priest outside of confession, different story. But if you violate my right to speak confidentially to my God as I see fit, and as God sees fit, you are violating a fundamental human right - a right for a man to talk to God as he sees fit.

All that said, I do agree we should crack down on paedophilia. There should, perhaps, be an inquisition into this on a person-to-person basis. I don't mind if the government makes a direct inquisition into priests and other persons who may or may not have committed paedophilia. There are probably better things to be doing with their time and money, but they can.

But just as much as I don't have the right to violate your ability to say what you do about our priests, you do not have the right to violate my ability to say what I wish to God in the confessional.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Norstal wrote:I don't give a crap about the rituals. What I do care about is prevention of crime and enforcement of law. You can't enforce the law when there are witnesses obstructing justice. Your argument can only guarantee the protection of religious rituals, but ignores the workings of anything outside that religion.

Right. So if I tell a priest outside of confession, different story. But if you violate my right to speak confidentially to my God as I see fit, and as God sees fit, you are violating a fundamental human right

This is where I vehemently disagreed immediately.

EDIT: That said, I do think this law would turn out to be quite useless in short order.
Last edited by The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General