NATION

PASSWORD

Roman Catholic Priests to be violated in Australia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abatael
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Ganos Lao wrote:
Abatael wrote:
So you are refusing to tell me if it is incorrect or correct, according to your beliefs?

In 1957 Fitzgerald wrote to the bishop of Manchester, New Hampshire:

"We are amazed to find how often a man who would be behind bars if he were not a priest is entrusted with the cura animarum."

I've told you already my beliefs on this issue - this isn't about the seal to me. It's about the Catholic Church stuck in the mess it - and it alone - created, a mess that didn't have to be created. I am pretty certain that most of the cases documented were not heard of by other priests in the confessional, but that public outrage propelled the Catholic Church to deal with the situation. And what did they do? They sent them to other churches, as if nothing ever happened, rather than do the right thing. Now we're in 2012, and we're dealing with Australia considering prying open the seal of the confessional. And I am here saying one thing:

Why?

Why did it have to get to this point in the first place?

Thank you, Ganos Lao, but we are done with that.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
ROMVLVS·AVRELIVS·SECVNDVS.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Abatael wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:You're posting to make yourself look like an asshole? Because that's what you're managing. In what way is it more important to protect the sinner than the child?

No, I am posting to defend what is right. As I have said before, I do not care what others think of me, when it comes to this.

It seems we're all on the same level, then. We can't possibly change your opinion. You can't possibly change ours. We don't give half a fuck what you think is moral. You don't give half a fuck what we think is moral. This is going to keep spiraling until one side ends up going nuclear on the other and the banhammer gets swung. So let's all just admit that this argument is absolutely fucking futile for all parties and go our separate ways, alright?

I'm going to post this every page until it hits home, by the way.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Abatael wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Being legal doesn't make it right however stopping child rapist and protecting children makes it right.
Not difficult concept, now is it?

It may incarcerate a child rapist, but that benefit is far outweighed, when the Seal is broken.

Protection of a physical being is of greater virtue than defense of a religious doctrine in accordance to Australian law. This is a position I am quite glad they take.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Abatael wrote:
It may incarcerate a child rapist, but that benefit is far outweighed, when the Seal is broken.

Protection of a physical being is of greater virtue than defense of a religious doctrine in accordance to Australian law. This is a position I am quite glad they take.

No, it is not. The protection of the Seal includes having to die yourself or letting another die.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Second Best Factbook (UNDERGOING MAJOR REVISIONS)| Factbook Rankings | Embassy Program

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Abatael wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Being legal doesn't make it right however stopping child rapist and protecting children makes it right.
Not difficult concept, now is it?

You have finally managed to wire two concepts. Congratulations.
Now, to your point: no breaking some crap rule set by ancient dude is worth getting child rapist out of the streets.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Abatael wrote:

You have finally managed to wire two concepts. Congratulations.
Now, to your point: no breaking some crap rule set by ancient dude is worth getting child rapist out of the streets.

No, it is not. That is an appalling and contemptuous violation for even the heathen.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Abatael wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Protection of a physical being is of greater virtue than defense of a religious doctrine in accordance to Australian law. This is a position I am quite glad they take.

No, it is not. The protection of the Seal includes having to die yourself or letting another die.

Abatael, where can I find info on this seal or penitent you speak so highly of? Please post a link so I can learn more.
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.72
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:So Roman Catholic priests, in a rather ironic twist, are claiming that proposed new laws will violate their most sacred and sacrosanct beliefs, by requiring priests to break the confessional seal and engage in the same mandatory reporting that every other profession is bound by.

Basically, if a priest confesses to paedophilia, they are required to report said priest to the authorities.

I'm unsure what the problem is.

The problem is that the confessional seal is sacred, to the extent that the priest divulging the content or someone overhearing the confession can make it invalid.
The law is also unenforceable - there are no logs of who goes to confession where, (Hell ,in a confessional booth it's not even well visible who's in , and the priest won't ask you for a name) and if a priest is questioned about the content of one, he can deny everything (I didn't know the one I was listening to was a priest)
I'm as much against religion as it goes but this is just dumb

Why should the fact that the Holy fathers hold the confessional seal sacred stop victims who may not share their religion from having justice? Or obtaining evidence of guilt?

Furthermore, there are cases in Australia where it was known that priests confessed to other priests, and nothing was done. In some cases the offender was moved to a parish where his contact with children increased. The Church has shown itself manifestly incapable of managing the responsibility of confession, and so should lose it's protection.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Thisbia wrote:
Abatael wrote:

Abatael, where can I find info on this seal or penitent you speak so highly of? Please post a link so I can learn more.

viewtopic.php?p=11695791#p11695791
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Abatael wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Protection of a physical being is of greater virtue than defense of a religious doctrine in accordance to Australian law. This is a position I am quite glad they take.

What do you mean it's not? It obviously is considered of greater value to the Australian legislature because that is what they ruled. If you wish to protect a murderer or rapist because you believe your god wants you to, then you can enjoy your prison sentence.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Totalise wrote:it's interesting how government tells the church to stay out of state affairs but the state refuses to extend the same curtacy to the church.................... intresting anyone else see a contridiction here?

When the protection of children who do not share the religion of the Church, and are in the care of the state has been compromised by a practice, the state does have a responsibility to protect those children. Which supercedes the Church's right to continue a practice which has been shown to endanger children.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:39 pm

Abatael wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:You have finally managed to wire two concepts. Congratulations.

No, it is not. That is an appalling and contemptuous violation for even the heathen.

Explain why it is appalling and contemptuous violation to get child rapist out of streets and give victims justice at expense of child rapist.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:40 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:I'm going to post this every page until it hits home, by the way.

No, you're not. If you're here to debate, then debate. If you're here to spam, you're *** Warned for spamming. ***

Abatael
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Abatael » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Abatael wrote:

What do you mean it's not? It obviously is considered of greater value to the Australian legislature because that is what they ruled. If you wish to protect a murderer or rapist because you believe your god wants you to, then you can enjoy your prison sentence.

It is not of a greater virtue. It is a sin, and it will not be committed.

If I were to hear the confession, then I will be sentenced to prison, because I will not, under any circumstance, violate the Seal.

Great Nepal wrote:
Abatael wrote:

Explain why it is appalling and contemptuous violation to get child rapist out of streets and give victims justice at expense of child rapist.

I have said this numerous times; you do not seem to get it through your head: it is an appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal.

Imprisoning a child molester is not a violation, unless if you do it by breaking the Seal.
IMPERIVM·NOVVM·VENOLIÆ.
PAX·PER·BELLVM.
DEVS·VENOLIAM·BENEDICAT.

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Abatael wrote:
Thisbia wrote:Abatael, where can I find info on this seal or penitent you speak so highly of? Please post a link so I can learn more.

Is there something specific you wanted to know?

I need to know what the Catholic policies are regarding the seal, but from the source, in black and white. I used to be Catholic and I don't remember this. I know it isn't biblical. But, one can hardly discuss this seal, or argue a point of it without proper knowledge of it.
So I need to know if it is in a papal bull, some Vatican City rule, do parish priests have to take a vow and where is that stated?
_Factbook
_NSTracker
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

A wrongly accused man is always vilified by the ignorant masses. Such a man should fire at will, he is bound to hit something. - Anonymous

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Then they can martyr themselves.

Also, if Catholic priests are allowed to hold steadfast to the sacrament of confession, should it not then follow that those who hold the priesthood within the Fundamentalist Mormon Church be allowed to hold the sacrament of plural spouses? This sacrament of plural marriage is as sacred to them as the sacrament of confession is to Catholic priests, and just as much a part of the fabric of their faith.

Mormonism doesn't mandate plural spouses, it allows them.
In the same way that most faiths allow you to fart in a full public bus, but you might choose not to, those Mormons living in the USA are allowed by their faith to have multiple spouses, just that the law forbids it.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints actually makes plural marriage an excommunicable offence. The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, as well as a few other denominations actually does mandate plural marriage, for a variety of reasons fundamental to the faith.

Mormons living in the USA are not allowed to have multiple spouses. Polygamy is illegal in the US. And Canada, and Australia. We have deemed that polygamy, despite being absolutely crucial to the religious practices of these people, is too great a risk to the safety of the women living in it.

On the other hand, confessional secrecy is mandated. This is pretty much the equivalent of banning circumcision for Jews, or mandating the consumption of a beef burger per day to a Hinduist

Plural marriage is mandated by God, according to the FLDS. Preventing them from practicing this is the equivalent of all those above. Why are you so against the free practice of religion?

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Abatael wrote:I have said this numerous times; you do not seem to get it through your head: it is an appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal.
Imprisoning a child molester is not a violation, unless if you do it by breaking the Seal.

Okay, so explain why it is appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal when end result is good.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Abatael wrote:I have said this numerous times; you do not seem to get it through your head: it is an appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal.

Okay, so explain why it is appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal when end result is good.

Because it makes the confession invalid? The one confessing might as well not have bothered.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Okay, so explain why it is appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal when end result is good.

Because it makes the confession invalid? The one confessing might as well not have bothered.

Well, it works for a bit until people realize that priests will snitch them out. Then they just stop telling them things that would land them in jail.

Seriong
Minister

Founded: Aug 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seriong » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Auralia wrote:This is ridiculous, even from a pragmatic point of view. Priests would rather be held in contempt of court and thrown in prison than violate the confessional seal.

Good - less priests to aid and abet the violating of children. And in prison, they may yet experience the same violations that the children they are endangering experience. It may make them more compassionate to people in the here and now, rather than the hereafter.

No.

A) Not all priests are rapists

B) Not all pedophiles rape children.

You saw when it said that if they confessed to PEDOPHILIA, the attraction alone, that they had to inform the police, the priest has as of then committed no crime.

(Also, before you say that attraction leads to rape, and thus they shouldn't be allowed near the children, why don't you also condemn allowing non-asexuals to teach college, they very well could rape them.)
Lunalia wrote:
The Independent States wrote:Um, perhaps you haven't heard that mercury poisons people? :palm:

Perhaps you've heard that chlorine is poisonous and sodium is a volatile explosive?

Drawkland wrote:I think it delegitimizes true cases of sexual assault, like real dangerous cases being dismissed, "Oh it's only sexual assault"
Like racism. If everything's "racist," then you can't tell what really is racist.

Murkwood wrote:As a trans MtF Bi Pansexual Transautistic CAMAB Demiplatonic Asensual Better-Abled Planetkin Singlet Afro-Centric Vegan Socialist Therian, I'm immune from criticism.

Xarxis
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Xarxis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

It can't be explained to a non-Catholic like you. It's like trying to explain evolution to a Protestant, or trying to get an Atheist to accept the existence of God - it just can't be done.
DEFCON - 4

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Xarxis wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Okay, so explain why it is appalling and contemptuous violation to violate the Seal when end result is good.

It can't be explained to a non-Catholic like you. It's like trying to explain evolution to a Protestant, or trying to get an Atheist to accept the existence of God - it just can't be done.

That's a cop-out. Anything can be explained if the explainer truly knows what he is talking about!
Remember what Einstein said about teaching a child.
_Factbook
_NSTracker

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Thisbia wrote:Remember what Einstein said about teaching a child.

Einstein: "Keep your child away from Father Gregory. I do not believe that that is what "Come all ye faithful" should mean."
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Seriong wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Good - less priests to aid and abet the violating of children. And in prison, they may yet experience the same violations that the children they are endangering experience. It may make them more compassionate to people in the here and now, rather than the hereafter.

No.

A) Not all priests are rapists

But a priest who does not report the possibility that one of their colleagues has confessed to sinful thoughts or actions is aiding and abetting the violation of children, by not reporting a potential risk.

Seriong wrote:B) Not all pedophiles rape children.

They are required to report to Child Protective Services, not the police. Is it not possible, that getting these men access to appropriate therapy and preventive treatment, before they actually abuse children, may be of benefit?

Thisbia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Thisbia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Thisbia wrote:Remember what Einstein said about teaching a child.

Einstein: "Keep your child away from Father Gregory. I do not believe that that is what "Come all ye faithful" should mean."

I love you Nightkill, but no, this:
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
_Factbook
_NSTracker

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General