NATION

PASSWORD

US Forces in Japan. Maintain or Withdraw?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Please select which option you'd prefer

Increase US Forces in Japan
11%
Maintain US Forces at Their Current Extent
32%
Reduce US Forces in Japan
23%
Remove All American Forces From Japan
33%

Total votes : 244

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Ranmaverse wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Using a loaded word to make it sound worse than it really is. It's not a grammatical thing, it's called injecting bias.

Really? I don't care if I'm biased, I stated my opinion from the start, shouldn't it be obvious that I'm biased? I feel calling it that is perfectly fine considering my state of mind, it helps prove my point. Whether or not you feel it is correct is a personal thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Then your opinion is informed more on the basis of what you feel than the facts. Deciding national policy for two nations isn't something that should be done on feeling alone, especially for someone who isn't in Japan.

But I'm not here to argue with other users and moderators, I simply wanted opinions, and poll results. Which I'm getting plenty of.

I hate to tell you this, but General is a discussion forum, we're not here for you to get a survey done.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Arpeji
Secretary

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arpeji » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Stopping extra territorial rights , I think , will solve many things. Say allow the local arrests and tries the offending soldier, or at least public military trial by the US there.
The locals are scared since US soldiers can basically "attack" them without repercussion.
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Arpeji wrote:Stopping extra territorial rights , I think , will solve many things. Say allow the local arrests and tries the offending soldier, or at least public military trial by the US there.
The locals are scared since US soldiers can basically "attack" them without repercussion.

That's not true. SOFA allows the US to maintain custody of US troops until charges are filed. This can cause problems with Japanese investigations (Which in turn is another issue given Japanese police powers). However, in event of serious crimes, the US can wave this and hand people over.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Ranmaverse
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ranmaverse » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Arpeji wrote:Stopping extra territorial rights , I think , will solve many things. Say allow the local arrests and tries the offending soldier, or at least public military trial by the US there.

They could if they wanted, I believe the last major offence was the rape of a 14 year old girl by a US soldier, who was arrested by the US government, but was given to Japanese authorities to be tried and convicted in Japan. I believe he was given 2 years in prison (Not totally sure).

The US tries to be fair, I appreciate it, I just don't think their soldiers can handle it. The rule that it only takes one person to ruin it for everyone is taken into effect a lot here.

The Old South
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Old South » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

How about reducing US forces while re-militarizing Japan? Win-win?
The Battle Cry of Freedom
The Confederate States of America
Head of State: President Nathan Bedford Featherston
Capital: Richmond
Demonym(s): Confederate, Southern
The Terran Confederacy
Capital: Tarsonis City, on the planet Tarsonis
Demonym(s): Confederate

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 pm

The Old South wrote:How about reducing US forces while re-militarizing Japan? Win-win?

There's a little thing called Article 9 of the Constitution of Japan...

Edit: Assuming that Article 9 is amended (which, btw, the majority of the Japanese are against, no matter what kind of dreams Abe and Ishihara may have about it), there's also another problem, one of the declining birthrate. The SDF is currently riding high thanks to its efforts after the Tohoku quake, but they are still not the destination of choice for the youth of Japan, youth whose numbers are rapidly declining. Even assuming Japan re-armed itself, it would face the problem of way too few bodies to fit the slots and a highly competitive environment where companies are actively head-hunting youths just to have workers. The idea of the return of the IJN or IJA is a dream that simply cannot be accomplished.
Last edited by NERVUN on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Ranmaverse wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
Excuse me? Atrocities?

Since 1972, 25 murders, 385 burglaries, 25 arsons, 127 rapes, 306 assaults, and 2,827 thefts have been committed by US soldiers in Okinawa alone.

That's more than 1, way more than 1. Therefore, Plural: Atrocities.

http://www.dprkstudies.org/documents/asia015.html

The crime rate for military personnel is significantly lower than the Okinawan population.

So I have a hard time saying the Marines who behave better than the typical population are an Atrocity.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm

NERVUN wrote:

That's not true. SOFA allows the US to maintain custody of US troops until charges are filed. This can cause problems with Japanese investigations (Which in turn is another issue given Japanese police powers). However, in event of serious crimes, the US can wave this and hand people over.

Perhaps we would be more willing to had people over pre filing if the Japanese agreed not to hold them in solitary confinement from the initial arrest until end of trial/confession.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:25 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:That's not true. SOFA allows the US to maintain custody of US troops until charges are filed. This can cause problems with Japanese investigations (Which in turn is another issue given Japanese police powers). However, in event of serious crimes, the US can wave this and hand people over.

Perhaps we would be more willing to had people over pre filing if the Japanese agreed not to hold them in solitary confinement from the initial arrest until end of trial/confession.

But... But... But how could the police get their confessions then?!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:
greed and death wrote:Perhaps we would be more willing to had people over pre filing if the Japanese agreed not to hold them in solitary confinement from the initial arrest until end of trial/confession.

But... But... But how could the police get their confessions then?!

It is funny that Japan is considered more advanced, but if a crime takes place off duty off base the Koreans automatically have the right to arrest.
Perhaps if the Japanese followed the Korean way of doing things they will get a more favorable SOFA agreement.
Barack Obama

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

NERVUN wrote:
The Old South wrote:How about reducing US forces while re-militarizing Japan? Win-win?

Edit: Assuming that Article 9 is amended (which, btw, the majority of the Japanese are against, no matter what kind of dreams Abe and Ishihara may have about it), there's also another problem, one of the declining birthrate. The SDF is currently riding high thanks to its efforts after the Tohoku quake, but they are still not the destination of choice for the youth of Japan, youth whose numbers are rapidly declining. Even assuming Japan re-armed itself, it would face the problem of way too few bodies to fit the slots and a highly competitive environment where companies are actively head-hunting youths just to have workers. The idea of the return of the IJN or IJA is a dream that simply cannot be accomplished.

Is there really no possible way to get more babies in Japan?
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Ranmaverse
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ranmaverse » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm

While the Japanese constitution forbids them from having a military, the Japanese self Defence Forces are a superpower in Asian terms. It's as good as a military.

I doubt any change will be made to the Japanese constitution, not to mention it's not the Japanese Constitution that keeps the Americans in the country, it's the mutual security treaty that's in affect.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
NERVUN wrote:There's a little thing called Article 9 of the Constitution of Japan...

Get the men to start helping with the kids and the house, get the employer to stop forcing the men to go out drinking every night, all and all get rid of the sexism rampant in Japan.
Barack Obama

Coltarin
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2011

Postby Coltarin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:49 pm

The American Forces are there as a buffer to China. It's a bigger influence than you'd think having a couple thousand Marines and the US 7th Fleet with in a few hours of your capital. They should stay, were pulling out in Europe and the Middle east and because China is becoming more of a threat than Iran the US need's to focus their attention there because China already has nuclear weapons and a cold war over Rare Earth Elements will be a future issue.
Coltarin (AKA Colt)
Paintis Bulpupis

Puzikas wrote:"No gun? Fuck it , you're now Comrade Meat Shield" level.
Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?
Spreewerke wrote:Basically plainclothes, armed security on a plane. Terrorist starts boxcuttering? Shoot his ass. Passenger starts being a dickhole penisweiner? Arrest his ass. Stewardess walks by? Smack dat ass. People obviously see you? Lose your job as a federal employee and suffer a failing marriage while your children don't speak with you at home and, due to your newly-developed drinking problem, you also lose all custody rights of your children. Your life culminates with your self-immolation inside your one-bedroom trailer home.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:49 pm

NERVUN wrote:There's a little thing called Article 9 of the Constitution of Japan...

Too little land, too many people.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:54 pm

greed and death wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Is there really no possible way to get more babies in Japan?

Get the men to start helping with the kids and the house, get the employer to stop forcing the men to go out drinking every night, all and all get rid of the sexism rampant in Japan.

Gender roles would be a big one, I think. Taking action to end this idea that women with children are "not allowed" to have careers should do most of it. Women refuse to have babies because to them it ruins their lives.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos

Saint Roguensburg
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Roguensburg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:06 pm

some of their bases here in the Philippines have been closed down.. why can't they let them go? :blink:

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:07 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:But... But... But how could the police get their confessions then?!

It is funny that Japan is considered more advanced, but if a crime takes place off duty off base the Koreans automatically have the right to arrest.
Perhaps if the Japanese followed the Korean way of doing things they will get a more favorable SOFA agreement.

IIRC, the Japanese police CAN arrest, it's the holding prior to charges being brought that SOFA comes in.

Pretty much if you're an idiot and get in trouble off of base, the police can arrest you, but then they must turn you over to the base until charges are filed unless you did something REALLY stupid and America waves that.

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Is there really no possible way to get more babies in Japan?

Sure, Japan could have a major shift and allow, nay, encourage women to continue working past childbirth, build more childcare facilities, and allow for flex time so that fathers and mothers can care for their children (Involved parenting by dads has gotten much better)... But... given that some 70% of companies admit that it is burdensome to allow for maternity leave and some 50% admitted to wanting their female employees to quit once they get pregnant, not to mention Nagatacho being more interested in "Who's Gonna Be Prime Minister Next?!" rather than address any problems Japan has... I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ranmaverse wrote:While the Japanese constitution forbids them from having a military, the Japanese self Defence Forces are a superpower in Asian terms. It's as good as a military.

You keep saying this, repeating things does not make it true.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:

Too little land, too many people.

Not exactly, this is actually a huge problem over here.

greed and death wrote:Get the men to start helping with the kids and the house, get the employer to stop forcing the men to go out drinking every night, all and all get rid of the sexism rampant in Japan.

Gender roles would be a big one, I think. Taking action to end this idea that women with children are "not allowed" to have careers should do most of it. Women refuse to have babies because to them it ruins their lives.

It's not helping that over 50% of men aged 20 to 24 view their marriage prospects as rather dim.
Last edited by NERVUN on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Too little land, too many people.

Not exactly, this is actually a huge problem over here.

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Gender roles would be a big one, I think. Taking action to end this idea that women with children are "not allowed" to have careers should do most of it. Women refuse to have babies because to them it ruins their lives.

It's not helping that over 50% of men aged 20 to 24 view their marriage prospects as rather dim.

I'm 20 and I view my marriage prospects as nonexistent. I'm sure it improves, but I have no idea.

Also, Bonobos

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 pm

greed and death wrote:
Ranmaverse wrote:
Since 1972, 25 murders, 385 burglaries, 25 arsons, 127 rapes, 306 assaults, and 2,827 thefts have been committed by US soldiers in Okinawa alone.

That's more than 1, way more than 1. Therefore, Plural: Atrocities.

http://www.dprkstudies.org/documents/asia015.html

The crime rate for military personnel is significantly lower than the Okinawan population.

So I have a hard time saying the Marines who behave better than the typical population are an Atrocity.

As US soldiers, their actions are America's responsibility. What they do reflects on the entire military.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Geilinor wrote:
greed and death wrote:http://www.dprkstudies.org/documents/asia015.html

As US soldiers, their actions are America's responsibility. What they do reflects on the entire military.

I say being a better behaved population then the Japanese, is a pretty good reflection on the military.

Military training does not suddenly make you into an angel, but looking at statistics it seems to come close.
Barack Obama

The Old South
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2011

Postby The Old South » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:08 pm

NERVUN wrote:

I thought amending it was implied, but anywho, the demographics issue in Japan is so dire that they can't provide volunteers for self-defense? Must be funny to have 127 million people but not enough youth to serve. Water, water everywhere... :p
The Battle Cry of Freedom
The Confederate States of America
Head of State: President Nathan Bedford Featherston
Capital: Richmond
Demonym(s): Confederate, Southern
The Terran Confederacy
Capital: Tarsonis City, on the planet Tarsonis
Demonym(s): Confederate

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:57 pm

The Old South wrote:

I thought amending it was implied, but anywho, the demographics issue in Japan is so dire that they can't provide volunteers for self-defense? Must be funny to have 127 million people but not enough youth to serve. Water, water everywhere... :p

There are more people over 60 than under 15 in Japan. Currently the number of children born per woman is less than one, far under just replacement (Which is 2.2). Pretty much by the next century, Japan will have halved its population.

SovietKitties
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby SovietKitties » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 pm

Lol you really believe a piece of paper is going to stop them being aggressive. Don't get me wrong, I think we should leave. I fully believe they won't start another war unless provoked. But, it's a piece of paper. The only authority it has is what people enforce and that's up to the government.
Last edited by SovietKitties on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Fast, Die Young
Brony and a Furry

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General