NATION

PASSWORD

Leaders and Wealth

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Leaders and Wealth

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20243493

Here is something that might interest many: Jose Mujica is the President of Uruguay, and usually Presidents live in a grand official residence in the capital city. However, he is in my opinion very unique for choosing to hold on to his farm life outside Montevideo and give away about 90% of his pay as voluntary donations to the state. You rarely see him in a suit except for very formal events.

Now compare this with Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah of Brunei, who is worth $20 billion, lives in a huge palace and owns thousands of luxury cars (the press have been speculation about the condition of the cars recently). His engagements are outrageously lavish.

In my opinion, I am not a fan of austerity life, but if I were president then I would not want to spend too much money in one go as well because there is the all important pension to consider. I'd rather not have a car if it could be better spent on building underground lines to take traffic off the roads. Zil lanes? Nah! Anything bigger than the Zappeion Hall or Downing Street? Nah! After all, if I were president then the fate of millions of people would depend on me, because if I make one mistake and they might turn against me. By the way, I aim to focus just on leaders with executive power, rather than ceremonial figures like Elizabeth II and Bhumibol Adulyadej ($500 Million and $30 Billion respectively, in 2010).

Now, if you were a head of state, how far would you ask for and spend?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:16 am

I would probably continue to live as I was before being elected - I'm not poor, but I'm not interested in luxury.

Beloyukto
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Beloyukto » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 am

IF I were a president, I would just live a middle class life just like most of my country men, and my house is always open for guests.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:51 am

Well, I can imagine my food and drink expenditure would go waaaaaay up.

TechTown
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TechTown » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 am

If I actually ruled a country, I'd run screaming out of the door.
Down the street.
Taking off any ceremonial vestments I wore.
Never to be seen again.

But if I was 'only' a high-ranking politician, I'd probably donate large amounts of my salary to charities/back into the government. Partially because I'm a devious bastard and I see it as a good way to get positive karma and good publicity.
Plus, most stuff I want aren't that expensive.
TechTown would like to remind other Nation representatives that we are currently trading in Virtual creation.
Destruction gains little, trading allows growth.

TechTown is grateful for the non-discharging of weapons at this Nation.
PMT level, AI and a few somewhat futuristic inventions. No FTL/teleportation however.
Entire Nation is an orbiting "Skycraft", with a virtual world inside for the AI citizenry.
Check out my Factbook for tons of stuff I wrote about it if you're interested! Just click here!

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:00 am

Divair wrote:
America01 wrote:HILTER WINS ALL!!!!!!!!!! WINNING

What?

@OP: I'd live a middle class life to know what my people are going through.

Just someone who hasn't read the rules and can't spell. They have already been reported for spamming.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 am

I think leaders should be paid enough to remove the temptation to be corrupt. Not keen on leaders with large inherited fortunes as I think such people are largely clueless about how most people live. The UK Prime Minister is paid only slightly more than the Head of a large London school.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 am

Nice to see a national leader living so humbly. It's always bothered me that our (US) so-called public servants act like anything but...

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 am

Eireann Fae wrote:Nice to see a national leader living so humbly. It's always bothered me that our (US) so-called public servants act like anything but...

I dunno, I reckon the vast, vast, vast majority of public servants live pretty normal lives. All the ones I know personally do, at least. It's just the upper echelon that don't.

AynRandtopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby AynRandtopia » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 am

Why do we pay people to loot from us at all?
"Perhaps the fact that we have seen millions voting themselves into complete dependence on a tyrant has made our generation understand that to choose one's government is not necessarily to secure freedom."

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 am

Serrland wrote:
Eireann Fae wrote:Nice to see a national leader living so humbly. It's always bothered me that our (US) so-called public servants act like anything but...

I dunno, I reckon the vast, vast, vast majority of public servants live pretty normal lives. All the ones I know personally do, at least. It's just the upper echelon that don't.

I think that is what he meant.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:08 am

If I was the leader of a country I would divert all possible funds to building the largest palace known to man.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:08 am

I would not decide on that; take everything that parliament decides to give me... because why would I not take salary that my employer decided to give me?
Anyway, as long as its not over the top or leader's pay are immune from cuts during austerities: I dont mind. However, dont like style of Uruguay's president. Head of state has to look professional: and suit is fundamental for that purpose.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:39 am

I would not say no to a fairly decent standard. I've always liked how the PM's office in the UK in downing street. Small place, but classy, I'd want a few busts, paintings and historical items I would feel important to remember, but all in all, it would not be a palace, but certainly not a farmhouse.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Galborg
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:11 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:I think leaders should be paid enough to remove the temptation to be corrupt. Not keen on leaders with large inherited fortunes as I think such people are largely clueless about how most people live. The UK Prime Minister is paid only slightly more than the Head of a large London school.

The more money they have, the more corrupt they are.
Pay politicians the median wage, such that 1/2 the population have more and 1/2 have less. While politicians are paid CEO type wage, guess which side they choose.
The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is you can never be sure if they are real. - Mark Twain

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 am

Galborg wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:I think leaders should be paid enough to remove the temptation to be corrupt. Not keen on leaders with large inherited fortunes as I think such people are largely clueless about how most people live. The UK Prime Minister is paid only slightly more than the Head of a large London school.

The more money they have, the more corrupt they are.
Pay politicians the median wage, such that 1/2 the population have more and 1/2 have less. While politicians are paid CEO type wage, guess which side they choose.

...which part of siding with business being corrupt, again?
Also, if you pay guy with lot of power $2000 per month; and someone comes along and says "hey, you give me this contract and I will give you $2,400,000; which by the way is your wage for hundred years", you know which side that guy's going to choose.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am

Samuraikoku wrote:I would probably continue to live as I was before being elected - I'm not poor, but I'm not interested in luxury.

Food, Anime, Internet, Sleep. Thats all I need. :p
If I ever get elected President then Doctors Without Borders is going to be getting BIG monthly donations.
Last edited by Genivaria on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 am

Genivaria wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:I would probably continue to live as I was before being elected - I'm not poor, but I'm not interested in luxury.

Food, Anime, Internet, Sleep. Thats all I need. :p
If I ever get elected President then Doctors Without Borders is going to be getting BIG monthly donations.

I don't know how I'd distribute what I'd have to donate, but I would donate.

Only extra thing I'd ask that requires money is a PS3 or a 360. :(

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Food, Anime, Internet, Sleep. Thats all I need. :p

If you were a good President then you wouldn't have much time for that.
You probably wouldn't get much sleep either.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:35 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Food, Anime, Internet, Sleep. Thats all I need. :p

You would have PS3 or 360 as a leader; when you could have most advanced gaming simulator (depending on size of your nation)?

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:35 am

Genivaria wrote:If you were a good President then you wouldn't have much time for that.

The whole country gets one hour off so I can play. :p

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am

Great Nepal wrote:You would have PS3 or 360 as a leader; when you could have most advanced gaming simulator (depending on size of your nation)?

Can't play what I want to play there.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:42 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:You would have PS3 or 360 as a leader; when you could have most advanced gaming simulator (depending on size of your nation)?

Can't play what I want to play there.

Then, you get the most advanced gaming simulator and PS360.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:49 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Genivaria wrote:If you were a good President then you wouldn't have much time for that.

The whole country gets one hour off so I can play. :p

We can set up Halo and Total War tournaments and make it a National Holiday. :D
I'm playing as the Seleucids. You goin DOWN Putin! :p
Last edited by Genivaria on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowbourg
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Snowbourg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:51 am

Beloyukto wrote:IF I were a president, I would just live a middle class life just like most of my country men, and my house is always open for guests.

imagine a murder enters the door :meh:

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General