NATION

PASSWORD

In the Time of a Second Civil War, who would you support?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which side would you fight for?

Three Hurrahs for the Union!
33%
Rise the flag of Dixie!
21%
Neutrality is the best option here
5%
Your British and you know it, rejoin the Empire!
20%
Cthulhu shall rise
15%
Not American and do/can not care
5%

Total votes : 358

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Dracone wrote:Ive heard that argument before.... and conditionally, yes. The condition being that it is on their property and that they declare themselves their own nation. If it occurs on their property and they declare themselves their own nation, and in that nation it is legal, then yes yes it is.

You don't think that their victims deserve their own rights to be observed? Like the right to bodily integrity?

He's functionally an anarchist.
There are no rights in an anarchy.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 pm

Dragonlord Jargon wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:If you love America you wouldn't be trying to break her up over politics. You're not being oppressed. We have a system that allows changes to be made. Withdrawing because your guy lost is not one of the options. Not an honest one, anyway, or an adult one.

Please note I wrote 'WERE curropt', I was pointing out that if a precident is made that allows secession we could handle a curopt government in a civil manner. Also you forget that New York and other states who elected Obama are in those states wishing to secede, this isn't about Obama, this is about some more then a man. Note the 'years of work' and mention of times before, this is not about Obama, this goes back further.

There are precisely zero states currently petitioning to for secession. Zero. There are no states that even have a noticeable percentage of their population supporting secession, even if you believe the numbers on the petitions (which you shouldn't - see my post prior to the post quoted here). Even if there was a state with a sizeable proportion of its population legitimately on the petition, that still would not be the state petitioning for anything at all. It would be a group of people who happen to live within the state petitioning for it.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Dracone wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:
So you believe that rape and murder is justified if the perpetrators don't believe in those laws?

^^Ninja'd.

Ive heard that argument before.... and conditionally, yes. The condition being that it is on their property and that they declare themselves their own nation. If it occurs on their property and they declare themselves their own nation, and in that nation it is legal, then yes yes it is.

So you could declare independence, make a quick run to the grocery store, kidnap someone, claim asylum in your house/nation, then rape her to death, and you think that should be alright?
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Dracone
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Dracone wrote:Ive heard that argument before.... and conditionally, yes. The condition being that it is on their property and that they declare themselves their own nation. If it occurs on their property and they declare themselves their own nation, and in that nation it is legal, then yes yes it is.

So you could declare independence, make a quick run to the grocery store, kidnap someone, claim asylum in your house/nation, then rape her to death, and you think that should be alright?

No that wouldnt be alright, and heres why. Your kidnapping. It doesnt matter if you claim asylum, your kidnapping a citizen of the other country. If she were to go into your nation willingly though.... unfortunately yes. It would be unfortunate, but yes it would be justifiable.

as to the person saying Im an anarchist.... pretty much, not quite but yes, and your wrong, there is rights in anarchy, you just have to enforce them yourself. Ofcourse Im a proponent in natural rights rather then legal rights.

to the person talking about victims rights, well it would be unfortunate that it happened, she should have been more careful as to where she went. If it was kidnapping, then it is not acceptable, but if she went into the nation willingly...
I will not source my infoprmation 99.9% of the time. If we were talking fact to face you wouldnt ask for a source, so judge what i say on its own basis, not on whether I source it, beecause I wont. Neither will I require a source, so long as the argument makes sense.

Also, Im here to have fun. If a debate gets boring, expect me to leave.

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Dracone wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:So you could declare independence, make a quick run to the grocery store, kidnap someone, claim asylum in your house/nation, then rape her to death, and you think that should be alright?

No that wouldnt be alright, and heres why. Your kidnapping. It doesnt matter if you claim asylum, your kidnapping a citizen of the other country. If she were to go into your nation willingly though.... unfortunately yes. It would be unfortunate, but yes it would be justifiable.

as to the person saying Im an anarchist.... pretty much, not quite but yes, and your wrong, there is rights in anarchy, you just have to enforce them yourself. Ofcourse Im a proponent in natural rights rather then legal rights.

to the person talking about victims rights, well it would be unfortunate that it happened, she should have been more careful as to where she went. If it was kidnapping, then it is not acceptable, but if she went into the nation willingly...

If that person was kidnapped. Would you say it would be okay for the victim family to "invade" the sovereignty of the kidnapper's nation to rescue him/her?

Also, this "every person being their own nation-idea" is really really stupid and infeasible for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Dragonlord Jargon wrote:Their wont be a war if the unionist just let us leave. We are asking peacefully, we are petitioning, we are not rebeling, we are doing this civily. I have given my vote on this thread. Think of the benifits to the nation as a whole, are they so hard to see? Smaller areas are easier to manage making it simpler to get an economy on track, with many conservative states out of the union Obama will have little opposition to his reforms making the union run smoother, having shared heritage with the other states of the union those seceding will maintain a good relationship with the Union, it is the government, not America they are destainful of. The free passage and trade between states will more then likly remain uninfrenged as most have family outside of state and the union would be the only nation any of the states would have a strong tie too.

Texas vs. White. Articles of Confederation --> Constitution of the United States, indissoluble union. Barring that Supreme Court precedent, take it up with Congress. Good luck.

Virginia to wit

We the Delegates of the People of Virginia duly elected in pursuance of a recommendation from the General Assembly and now met in Convention having fully and freely investigated and discussed the proceedings of the Federal Convention and being prepared as well as the most mature deliberation hath enabled us to decide thereon Do in the name and in behalf of the People of Virginia declare and make known that the powers granted under the Constitution being derived from the People of the United States may be resumed by them whensoever the same shall be perverted to their injury or oppression and that every power not granted thereby remains with them and at their will: that therefore no right of any denomination can be cancelled abridged restrained or modified by the Congress by the Senate or House of Representatives acting in any Capacity by the President or any Department or Officer of the United States except in those instances in which power is given by the Constitution for those purposes: & that among other essential rights the liberty of Conscience and of the Press cannot be cancelled abridged restrained or modified by any authority of the United States. With these impressions with a solemn appeal to the Searcher of hearts for the purity of our intentions and under the conviction that whatsoever imperfections may exist in the Constitution ought rather to be examined in the mode prescribed therein than to bring the Union into danger by a delay with a hope of obtaining Amendments previous to the Ratification, We the said Delegates in the name and in behalf of the People of Virginia do by these presents assent to and ratify the Constitution recommended on the seventeenth day of September one thousand seven hundred and eighty seven by the Federal Convention for the Government of the United States hereby announcing to all those whom it may concern that the said Constitution is binding upon the said People according to an authentic Copy hereto annexed in the Words following; .

Done in Convention this twenty Sixth day of June one thousand seven hundred and eighty eight

AN ORDINANCE to repeal the ratification of the Constitution of the United State of America by the State of Virginia, and to resume all the rights and powers granted under said Constitution.

The people of Virginia in their ratification of the Constitution of the United States of America, adopted by them in convention on the twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight, having declared that the powers granted under said Constitition were derived from the people of the United States and might be resumed whensoever the same should be perverted to their injury and oppression, and the Federal Government having perverted said powers not only to the injury of the people of Virginia, but to the oppression of the Southern slave-holding States:

Now, therefore, we, the people of Virginia, do declare and ordain, That the ordinance adopted by the people of this State in convention on the twenty-fifth day of June, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-eight, whereby the Constitution of the United States of America was ratified, and all acts of the General Assembly of this State ratifying and adopting amendments to said Constitution, are hereby repealed and abrogated; that the union between the State of Virginia and the other States under the Constitution aforesaid is hereby dissolved, and that the State of Virginia is in the full possession and exercise of all the rights of sovereignty which belong and appertain to a free and independent State.

And they do further declare, That said Constitution of the United States of America is no longer binding on any of the citizens of this State.

This ordinance shall take effect and be an act of this day, when ratified by a majority of the voter of the people of this State cast at a poll to be taken thereon on the fourth Thursday in May next, in pursuance of a schedule hereafter to be enacted.

Looks pretty damn legitimate to me. I think law and history are on one side...that of secession and self-determination. Might may be on the side of the Federalists, but might never makes right.
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Galborg
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:16 pm

USA civil war, I am pro Union, British civil war pro Parliament, Russian Red, Spanish Anarchist,Roman pro Republic.
The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is you can never be sure if they are real. - Mark Twain

Dracone
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Dracone wrote:No that wouldnt be alright, and heres why. Your kidnapping. It doesnt matter if you claim asylum, your kidnapping a citizen of the other country. If she were to go into your nation willingly though.... unfortunately yes. It would be unfortunate, but yes it would be justifiable.

If that person was kidnapped. Would you say it would be okay for her family to "invade" the sovereignty of the kidnapper's nation to rescue her?

Also, this "every person being their own nation-idea" is really really stupid and infeasible for obvious reasons.

Yes, Yes it would be ok. If she was kidnapped they would be perfectly right in invading the persons home and rescuing her. and they would be perfectly acceptable to gain help from third parties.
I will not source my infoprmation 99.9% of the time. If we were talking fact to face you wouldnt ask for a source, so judge what i say on its own basis, not on whether I source it, beecause I wont. Neither will I require a source, so long as the argument makes sense.

Benutanairan
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Galborg wrote:USA civil war, I am pro Union, British civil war pro Parliament, Russian Red, Spanish Anarchist,Roman pro Republic.

Pro confederacy, Pro King, Pro White, Pro Republic, Pro Julius Ceaser
NS resident Frenchman/ Supporter of the UMP
Playing as Fascist France in Alternate Cold War
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=219575
1950 Shadows playing as US
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=219586

Serving as an Elemental priest in Elementals: Return of Kayorest
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=219722

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Dracone wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:
If that person was kidnapped. Would you say it would be okay for her family to "invade" the sovereignty of the kidnapper's nation to rescue her?

Yes, Yes it would be ok. If she was kidnapped they would be perfectly right in invading the persons home and rescuing her. and they would be perfectly acceptable to gain help from third parties.

Then there's no real reason for your ideal society not to collapse into Warlordism, is there?

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:21 pm

How about neither, a civil war is a silly idea.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:22 pm

New Rogernomics wrote:How about neither, a civil war is a silly idea.

How about we be left alone?

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:23 pm

Benutanairan wrote:
New Rogernomics wrote:How about neither, a civil war is a silly idea.

How about federal cake party for all states?
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Dracone
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Dracone wrote:Yes, Yes it would be ok. If she was kidnapped they would be perfectly right in invading the persons home and rescuing her. and they would be perfectly acceptable to gain help from third parties.

Then there's no real reason for your ideal society not to collapse into Warlordism, is there?

Nope. There isnt. Its also virtually impossible to bring about in the current world. The only way it would be practical to bring about (due to their not being any country willing to give up land to a single person, and no habitable unclaimed land) would be space travel (even just to the other planets in the solar system.... which we actually have the tech to do its just the technology uses nukes and the UN shits itself at nukes in space) then if they wanted to declare their own nation, all theyd have to do is go to an uninhabited planet or asteroid... and then the seperation (while it wouldnt outright prevent warlordism) would limit warlordism.

Benutanairan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Benutanairan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Grand Britannia wrote:
Benutanairan wrote:

How about federal cake party for all states?

Cake party?

You mean the cake is filled with lies and corruption no!

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Given I survived one successful revolution and one failed revolution by drinking through them and minding my own business...

I would probably just do that again.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Dracone wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Nope. There isnt. Its also virtually impossible to bring about in the current world. The only way it would be practical to bring about (due to their not being any country willing to give up land to a single person, and no habitable unclaimed land) would be space travel (even just to the other planets in the solar system.... which we actually have the tech to do its just the technology uses nukes and the UN shits itself at nukes in space) then if they wanted to declare their own nation, all theyd have to do is go to an uninhabited planet or asteroid... and then the seperation (while it wouldnt outright prevent warlordism) would limit warlordism.

Fair enough. As long as you don't start bombing post offices here, I'm okay with shameless idealism. I can actually quite respect it.

Dracone
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Dracone wrote:Nope. There isnt. Its also virtually impossible to bring about in the current world. The only way it would be practical to bring about (due to their not being any country willing to give up land to a single person, and no habitable unclaimed land) would be space travel (even just to the other planets in the solar system.... which we actually have the tech to do its just the technology uses nukes and the UN shits itself at nukes in space) then if they wanted to declare their own nation, all theyd have to do is go to an uninhabited planet or asteroid... and then the seperation (while it wouldnt outright prevent warlordism) would limit warlordism.

Fair enough. As long as you don't start bombing post offices here, I'm okay with shameless idealism. I can actually quite respect it.

Thank you. actually quite unusual on this site :) and dont worry, I wont be bombing any post offices lol... military shipments maybe but.... roflmao jking jking. only an idiot would actually try to rebel against the goverment on their own.... now if a civil war starts, you might find me making a few bombs but I aint bout to start nothing I cant finish....

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:12 pm

The Union.

It's not exactly a coincidence that almost all of the former CSA votes Republican on a regular basis... Lincoln was a Republican, but ironically now it's the Democrats who would support the Union.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Acro wrote:Personally I would support an a free vermont Vermont. But they dont don't have a petition so it dont doesn't matter

There are laws in Vermont against what you just did the English language.

I think that is how people from Vermont sound.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Galloism wrote:Given I survived one successful revolution and one failed revolution by drinking through them and minding my own business...

Gallo, the Yankees stole your alcohol and your still.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 pm

greed and death wrote:
Galloism wrote:Given I survived one successful revolution and one failed revolution by drinking through them and minding my own business...

Nah, those were the decoys.

The beer was actually old urine that I left in them for the purpose of being stolen. The liquor was isopropyl alcohol that I use for cleaning things, and the still was just a flat-out decoy.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Galloism wrote:
greed and death wrote:

The beer was actually old urine that I left in them for the purpose of being stolen. The liquor was isopropyl alcohol that I use for cleaning things, and the still was just a flat-out decoy.

Wis is now very glad he doesn't drink.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Eh, I wouldn't support the Union, certainly. I would always oppose statist aggression, particularly against the facade of freedom right of self-determination. I don't necessarily support the South/West (or any other faction) seceding, but it would be absolutely immoral to support the Union's invasion.

I guess I'd take the Lysander Spooner position?
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 pm

Galloism wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Gallo the Yankees came back, and this time they stole nana-kun
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General