NATION

PASSWORD

It's A Gay Life 2.0

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 am

Dreporia wrote:
Jormengand wrote:It's not always clear whether or not people like like each other. Some people show it more than others. Especially when the object of their affections is the same sex as them, people can also be very reserved about it.

I kind of see what you're getting at, but knowing somebody is attracted to your gender doesn't automatically mean you like them/they like you. You STILL have to go through the messy process of finding out if the other person likes you or not.

But trying to go through that messy process when it was entirely a waste of time from the beginning is a bad idea. Not just because it wastes time you could have spent trying to feel out someone that might have loved you back, but because in the process you may kill what could at least have been a friendship.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Dreporia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreporia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 am

Jormengand wrote:
Dreporia wrote:
Certainly. I don't have a problem with you knowing somebody's preferences at all, I just have a problem with giving humans broad labels.

Why?

Discrimination, stereotypes, and assumptions based off of these labels. Do you disagree? Should there be more instead of less? Should blue-eyed people be given a name as well? And brown-eyed people?

Labeling allows for comparison and comparison breeds contempt. It's a depressing part of human nature.

Dreporia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Dreporia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 am

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Dreporia wrote:
I kind of see what you're getting at, but knowing somebody is attracted to your gender doesn't automatically mean you like them/they like you. You STILL have to go through the messy process of finding out if the other person likes you or not.

But trying to go through that messy process when it was entirely a waste of time from the beginning is a bad idea. Not just because it wastes time you could have spent trying to feel out someone that might have loved you back, but because in the process you may kill what could at least have been a friendship.

Maybe, but you never will know it's a waste of time until you try. People often lie about their sexuality....

Of course, knowing it's possible based off sexual preference right from the start is a lot easier, but I'm not arguing against recognizing sexual preferences.
Last edited by Dreporia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

Dreporia wrote:
Jormengand wrote:Why?

Discrimination, stereotypes, and assumptions based off of these labels. Do you disagree? Should there be more instead of less? Should blue-eyed people be given a name as well? And brown-eyed people?

Labeling allows for comparison and comparison breeds contempt. It's a depressing part of human nature.

That's not the fault of labelling. That's the fault of people being dicks.

And people with different eye colours do have names, you just said them. Sure, they're slightly unwieldy compound nouns, but that's because they're not as useful as sexuality-based ones.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 am

Dreporia wrote:
Jormengand wrote:Why?

Blue-eyed and brown-eyed people have labels. Blue-eyed and brown-eyed. Heterosexuals and homosexuals have labels. Heterosexual and homosexual.

No, difference allows for comparison, and difference will be around without labeling. If we don't call a black guy black, white guys will still notice that he's different. Labeling just makes difference that much more efficient to deal with.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Dreporia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Dreporia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

Jormengand wrote:
Dreporia wrote:

That's not the fault of labelling. That's the fault of people being dicks.

And people with different eye colours do have names, you just said them. Sure, they're slightly unwieldy compound nouns, but that's because they're not as useful as sexuality-based ones.

Maybe if you'd look more into it you'd realize how much labeling really just does.

And saying someone has blue eyes isn't a label. Saying someone has black skin or is of african origin isn't labeing either, but saying someone is black or is gay is labeling.

"Labeling just makes difference that much more efficient to deal with."

Deal with or abuse?
Last edited by Dreporia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:38 am

Dreporia wrote:
Jormengand wrote:That's not the fault of labelling. That's the fault of people being dicks.

Maybe if you'd look more into it you'd realize how much labeling really just does.

And saying someone has blue eyes isn't a label. Saying someone has black skin or is of african origin isn't labeing either, but saying someone is black or is gay is labeling.

How is that labeling? Black people are black, yes? Gay people are gay? If by labeling, you mean stereotyping (blacks are violents, gays are camp, etc), then I wholeheartedly agree. But a categorisation is not a stereotype.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 am

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
As an ally, I would like to state that I don't really need to be in there. In fact, it kind of cheapens it to have me in the alphabet soup.

Thank you.

See, I like allies, I'm grateful for them, blah blah blah - but they're being decent people and that's basically it. I'm not going to give anyone a cookie for that.

Hold on.

While I don't need to be included in the acronym mix, I do want a cookie.

Dreporia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Dreporia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

Zottistan wrote:
Dreporia wrote:

How is that labeling? Black people are black, yes? Gay people are gay? If by labeling, you mean stereotyping (blacks are violents, gays are camp, etc), then I wholeheartedly agree. But a categorisation is not a stereotype.

Assigning single attributes to someone is not a label.

e.g. You have blue eyes. You are attracted to men. You have black skin.

Labeling requires you to attribute someone TO a group.

e.g. You are black. You are gay.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:53 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Thank you.

See, I like allies, I'm grateful for them, blah blah blah - but they're being decent people and that's basically it. I'm not going to give anyone a cookie for that.

Hold on.

While I don't need to be included in the acronym mix, I do want a cookie.

*Gives monomolecular cookie.*

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Dreporia wrote:
Zottistan wrote:How is that labeling? Black people are black, yes? Gay people are gay? If by labeling, you mean stereotyping (blacks are violents, gays are camp, etc), then I wholeheartedly agree. But a categorisation is not a stereotype.

Assigning single attributes to somebody puts them in a group. You have blue eyes, ergo you belong to the demographic of people with blue eyes. Categorisation and subcategorisation makes the world a neater, more efficient place, and as long as we don't forcefeed these categories to people. Also, assigning a group to somebody is the same as giving them an attribute. "You're gay" is the same as "you are in the demographic of men who are sexually attracted to other men".

Dreporia
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Dreporia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Dreporia wrote:

Assigning single attributes to somebody puts them in a group. You have blue eyes, ergo you belong to the demographic of people with blue eyes. Categorisation and subcategorisation makes the world a neater, more efficient place, and as long as we don't forcefeed these categories to people. Also, assigning a group to somebody is the same as giving them an attribute. "You're gay" is the same as "you are in the demographic of men who are sexually attracted to other men".

I almost agree. People with the same attributes do belong to the same demographic, but some demographics do not have a label (such as blue-eyed people) while others such as men attracted to other men do have a label (gay).

I hope you at least agree with that.

Now, I'm saying that giving humans broad labels makes it much easier to target groups for stereotyping and misrepresentation of individuals within the group. Can you give me an instance where a label doesn't include extraneous ideas (e.g. gay people are flamboyant or have higher sexual drives) or compare it to another group without some negativity?

(also i have class bbl)
Last edited by Dreporia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Dreporia wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Assigning single attributes to somebody puts them in a group. You have blue eyes, ergo you belong to the demographic of people with blue eyes. Categorisation and subcategorisation makes the world a neater, more efficient place, and as long as we don't forcefeed these categories to people. Also, assigning a group to somebody is the same as giving them an attribute. "You're gay" is the same as "you are in the demographic of men who are sexually attracted to other men".

I almost agree. People with the same attributes do belong to the same demographic, but some demographics do not have a label (such as blue-eyed people) while others such as men attracted to other men do have a label (gay).

I hope you at least agree with that.

Now, I'm saying that giving humans broad labels makes it much easier to target groups for stereotyping and misrepresentation of individuals within the group. Can you give me an instance where a label doesn't include extraneous ideas (e.g. gay people are flamboyant or have higher sexual drives) or compare it to another group without some negativity?

(also i have class bbl)

So, by a label, you do mean a stereotype? Because, I'll agree, stereotypes are bad. But, bear in mind, any negative stereotypes bound to "gay" or "fag" is also bound to "homosexual". Any negative attributes associated with "nigger" or "black" is also associated with any other term for black people. Stereotyping stems from groups, not the names of those groups.
As for insulting titles (like fag and nigger), those are made to reinforce a stereotype already in place. The "label" comes from the stereotype, and not the other way around. Any insulting names for a Russian? None that I can think of. Any negative stereotypes of Russians? Yeah. A lot.
Division and predjudice will occur anyway, no matter what you "label" somebody. As long as people are different, they'll hate eachother.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Dreporia wrote:-snip-

As I said, and you conveniently ignored, prejudice is not the fault of labelling. It's the fault of people being dicks.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Cycloneland wrote:I'm a gay man, out to everyone, and I will marry my boyfriend next year. I live in Quebec, Canada :)

Ah, La Belle Province. :clap:

So what are your plans (small or big ceremony, inside or outside, etc.)?
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Vellosia
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vellosia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Well, I guess this is the right thread to reveal some kind of old news; that is to say, I will be getting a Civil Partnership in March next year (not quite a marriage yet, I'm afraid).
Back after a long break.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Vellosia wrote:Well, I guess this is the right thread to reveal some kind of old news; that is to say, I will be getting a Civil Partnership in March next year (not quite a marriage yet, I'm afraid).

:clap:

San Pellegrino Romana
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Anarchy

Postby San Pellegrino Romana » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Vellosia wrote:Well, I guess this is the right thread to reveal some kind of old news; that is to say, I will be getting a Civil Partnership in March next year (not quite a marriage yet, I'm afraid).

Yay, congrats! :clap:
Please refer to my nation IC as the Kingdom of Rome or Roman Kingdom.
Diplomacy: Factbook | Embassy Program | The Stonewall Alliance
Storefronts: Energizia Inc. | Van De Kaap Diamonds
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Cycloneland
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cycloneland » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 am

Oneracon wrote:
Cycloneland wrote:I'm a gay man, out to everyone, and I will marry my boyfriend next year. I live in Quebec, Canada :)

Relatively small, about 60 guests. Just friends and family. We have the date set, the place we'll marry etc. Only need to send the formal invitations now.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:22 am

Cycloneland wrote:
Oneracon wrote:

Relatively small, about 60 guests. Just friends and family. We have the date set, the place we'll marry etc. Only need to send the formal invitations now.

Well that's lovely :hug:

Even though it's a ways off, I hope your special day is amazing.

Is it bad that I'm such a hopeless romantic that I'm planning where I'd get married already? :p
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Cycloneland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Cycloneland » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:31 am

When it'll be time to plan your wedding, it'll be a bit quicker to plan!

Vellosia
Senator

Founded: May 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vellosia » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 am

Oneracon wrote:Is it bad that I'm such a hopeless romantic that I'm planning where I'd get married already? :p

I'm leaving the details of that to James; he's better at it them me. :p
Back after a long break.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 am

Cycloneland wrote:When it'll be time to plan your wedding, it'll be a bit quicker to plan!

It'll be at this great Conservation Area north of Toronto, and it'll be outside in what they call the "Forest Cathedral" (a clearing surrounded by tall trees that arch over you).

Plus it'll be completely green :clap:
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

Cycloneland
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Cycloneland » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:07 am

Very nice!! :) My boyfriend and I aren't the romantic type, so we just rented a small reception room.

Oneracon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 am

Cycloneland wrote:Very nice!! :) My boyfriend and I aren't the romantic type, so we just rented a small reception room.

Well it's your day, so it's not like I can tell you that you can't do that :p

I want it to be fairly small, though
Compass
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General