NATION

PASSWORD

Truth is an absurdity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Kubrath
Minister
 
Posts: 2039
Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kubrath » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:26 am

Salandriagado wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You just said it, that there must be a universal truth.

Therefore, that there must be a universal truth, is a universal truth.


Yet that also implies that there is at least one other universal truth, else it would be false, or at best indeterminable. Thus, there exists some other universal truth. However, I can't tell you what that truth is.


Wrong, it could be a reference to itself.
Kubrath Embassy Program
If your commanders are surprised every time they lose a squad, they probably die several minutes into a campaign due to being critically over-gasped.

North Valinka: What kind of an oxymoron is "Libertarian Police State"?
Petroviya: It arrests law makers.

Phocidaea wrote:Maybe democracy isn't the way?

Of course democracy is the way, dammit! There is no such thing as too much democracy!

Fuckin' dictatorships.

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18945
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Kubrath wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Yet that also implies that there is at least one other universal truth, else it would be false, or at best indeterminable. Thus, there exists some other universal truth. However, I can't tell you what that truth is.


Wrong, it could be a reference to itself.


Of course it could. This is why I shouldn't post after being awake for 24 hours.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Normalism
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 12
Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Normalism » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:52 pm

The statement "No truth is absolute" claims to be absolute. Therefore, by its own definition, the statement is not absolute, and can be twisted to "Truth is absolute."
Self-Destruct.

User avatar
Sociobiology
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18396
Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Normalism wrote:The statement "No truth is absolute" claims to be absolute. Therefore, by its own definition, the statement is not absolute, and can be twisted to "Truth is absolute."
Self-Destruct.


This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Kubrath
Minister
 
Posts: 2039
Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kubrath » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:23 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Normalism wrote:The statement "No truth is absolute" claims to be absolute. Therefore, by its own definition, the statement is not absolute, and can be twisted to "Truth is absolute."
Self-Destruct.


This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.


:rofl:

You, sir, deserve a place in my awesome quotes section.
Kubrath Embassy Program
If your commanders are surprised every time they lose a squad, they probably die several minutes into a campaign due to being critically over-gasped.

North Valinka: What kind of an oxymoron is "Libertarian Police State"?
Petroviya: It arrests law makers.

Phocidaea wrote:Maybe democracy isn't the way?

Of course democracy is the way, dammit! There is no such thing as too much democracy!

Fuckin' dictatorships.

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

User avatar
Fusion Corp
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 153
Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fusion Corp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:59 am

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

Don't want to take you out of context (which I will), but humans have evolved higher neuron densities at least 6 times since Australopithecus garhi.

Also, undeniable pillars exist everywhere, because mathematically (and meta-mathematically) certain things can be calculated. For instance, we know for 100% certain, that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant. 299 762 468 m/s is the mathematical interpretation, and you could pull a strawman and say that this is simply a symbol of a subjectively interpretable variable, but to that I say power to the zarith and that it is certain that the absolute truth is the hindu-numerical metric measurement system value that is scientifically and mathematically agreed upon at the present time is the speed of light in a vacuum, 299 762 468 m/s.
Damn, I started to sound like Kevin Rudd for a moment there.
I don't care if you don't accept NS stats.

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18945
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Fusion Corp wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

Don't want to take you out of context (which I will), but humans have evolved higher neuron densities at least 6 times since Australopithecus garhi.

Also, undeniable pillars exist everywhere, because mathematically (and meta-mathematically) certain things can be calculated. For instance, we know for 100% certain, that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant. 299 762 468 m/s is the mathematical interpretation, and you could pull a strawman and say that this is simply a symbol of a subjectively interpretable variable, but to that I say power to the zarith and that it is certain that the absolute truth is the hindu-numerical metric measurement system value that is scientifically and mathematically agreed upon at the present time is the speed of light in a vacuum, 299 762 468 m/s.
Damn, I started to sound like Kevin Rudd for a moment there.


No, it's entirely possible to create consistent mathematical structures of the universe with a variable speed of light. It's just that we're yet to see any evidence for them, they're mostly much more complicated and they require more weird assumptions.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Person012345
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16783
Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:42 am

VogoLannd wrote:
Person012345 wrote:This entire post made no sense.

We not being able to grasp them didn't lead to them. Limitation did not lead to truth. Stop making idiotic nonsensical statements.



Once again you are reinforcing my view on logic. You do not possess the ability to understand my idea, this leads to you proclaiming that my statements are objectively nonsensical, implying that no one will be able to make sense of it. Your limitation has led to your belief that my idea is objectively nonsensical. Limitation has led to what you believe is the truth about my statements.

I'm so sorry that you can't understand this idea.

But you're claiming that they're not nonsensical. Thus my limitation has, according to you, not lead me to the truth. You've just destroyed your own argument.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, Asherahan, Canadian Prairies, Cekoviu, Chan Island, Des-Bal, Dumb Ideologies, Elwher, Estanglia, Eternal Lotharia, Ethel mermania, Galloism, Google Adsense [Bot], Gormwood, Juristonia, Lanoraie II, Lillorainen, Loben The 2nd, Lost Memories, Miami Shores, MSN [Bot], Nea Byzantia, Necroghastia, Ostroeuropa, Ryanasic, Shrillland, The Black Forrest, The Emerald Legion, The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile, Thermodolia, Washington Resistance Army, Xuloqoia, Zurkerx

Advertisement

Remove ads