NATION

PASSWORD

Truth is an absurdity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Isn't the claim that there is no universal truth a claim for a universal truth?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Paixao wrote:90 degrees is a completely arbitrary and non-existent metaphor that humans use for simplifying 'measurements' (something else that is completely arbitrary to the universe, I might add. There is no such thing as 'a kilometre', there is only the commonly accepted amount of space as observed by a human in its regular environment and at a certain temperature that all humanity has decided to agree on as being 'a kilometre' - simply a measurement that aids in communication between humans. A kilometre doesn't exist! It is no more true that a 'hobblegetkanme' - a unit I have now invented that designates the exact same space as a kilometre. Its just that everybody agrees that 'a kilometre' as opposed to a 'hobblegetkanme' is 'the truth')

In essence what I am saying is that the Truth ITSELF is subjective, and nothing more than what the majority of people at any given time agree on.

No. They don't agree it's the truth. It's a way of communicating. You can signify a kilometre without the use of the word kilometre. It doesn't change what it actually is. You can call it a hobblegetkanme if you want, and nobody will know what you are talking about, but as long as you mean some sort of spacial measure, it exists. As I just said, saying it's "true" is as meaningless as saying "purple tastes round".
Last edited by Person012345 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:14 pm

VogoLannd wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:i am assuming no such thing. firstly because that wouldn't work under normal logic. but second, i have no need for such because all i have to do is assert that truth is objective and it is so under your non-rules. it is so regardless of anything you say. any attempt by you to argue against it is yet another performative contradiction - it would assume logic. and any attempt to deny it is merely met with my reassertion of it; remember, you've rejected both argument and the law of non-contradiction in favor of some bullshit subjectivist relativism. and so my say so makes it so. i'm the jean luc picard of universal truths.

you cannot touch the truth value of my claim. it is and always shall be true.

This works with normal logic all the time, people used to take it as a matter of fact that the atom was the smallest indivisible unit and the sole basis for this belief was that no one could prove otherwise, no one could go further, limitation of our capabilities, logic.

that wasn't the basis. the basis was that either there is a smallest particle or there is an infinite regress. and since it can't be turtles all the way down, there must be a smallest particle. and that particle they called an atom. it was probably given as something of a counter to zeno.

and in any case, the mere lack of disproof cannot be positive proof. it can be highly suggestive, but not 'strike me dead if i disagree' proof. no, for that we need something else. something like an argument that shows disproving it is impossible.

VogoLannd wrote:What you are doing is no different regardless of how you're rewording it. You are positing something you believe that I under my rules/outlook on life cannot disprove, you say it yourself that "any attempt to deny it is merely met with my reassertion of it" so your conclusion is that through this method you will always be right, therefore what you are positing must be objective truth. My obstacle to disprove you is my limitation, logic is at work here.

no. i am saying that your position makes it true that truth is objective. logic being gone means anything follows from anything. there being no objective truth means that no statements are false. in every direction, you find yourself facing the non-lemma. either there is objective truth or there is objective truth.

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Takaram wrote:Isn't the claim that there is no universal truth a claim for a universal truth?

Ooh! an interesting paradox ^_^ as such we should say that there IS indeed a universal truth.
"Metaphysics is a dark ocean without shores or lighthouse, strewn with many a philosophic wreck"

"Every thought creates vibrations. Vibrations are like sound waves or radiations. No obstacles, no hurdles can stop them. Kind thoughts make good vibrations"

Thinking Things Into Being

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Metaphysics wrote:
Takaram wrote:Isn't the claim that there is no universal truth a claim for a universal truth?

Ooh! an interesting paradox ^_^ as such we should say that there IS indeed a universal truth.

If ¬A => 0 (where 0 is a contradiction), A is true. QED. Thus, there exists some universal truth. Can't tell you what it might be, but it definitely exists.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

VogoLannd
Secretary

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:03 pm

no. i am saying that your position makes it true that truth is objective. logic being gone means anything follows from anything. there being no objective truth means that no statements are false. in every direction, you find yourself facing the non-lemma. either there is objective truth or there is objective truth.

But maybe then ideas would have to prevail among society according to a different set of criteria? As was discussed before, convenience, utility,aesthetics etc, I'd rather an idea dominate society because we believe it would benefit us in the aforementioned categories then if a dominant idea was held to be true because we can't logically refute it.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 pm

VogoLannd wrote:

But maybe then ideas would have to prevail among society according to a different set of criteria? As was discussed before, convenience, utility,aesthetics etc, I'd rather an idea dominate society because we believe it would benefit us in the aforementioned categories then if a dominant idea was held to be true because we can't logically refute it.

if you could make it so that there was a coherent way to say 'there is no truth', criteria would be impossible.

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 pm

If truth is indeed an absurdity, what does that say about the truths Nietzsche himself believed and which you heavily based your dissertation here upon being expressed in this thread?

Taken further, since Nietzsche expressed those ideas of his, human society has had over a hundred years of development with just one those developments being Realism which states that reality can exist Independently of people’s thoughts and perceptions.

So, there’s your incontestable proof…thanks to Realism. X is now Y because the truth of consensus is independent of your beliefs.

Want Proof of Realism in action; see the case of the planet Pluto. For decades the scientific community had designated Pluto as the 9th planet {X}, but then after a consensus was taken due to the advancement of scientific knowledge of similar bodies in the Inner and Outer Solar System, Pluto was reclassified as a Dwarf Planet {Y}. Did people’s thoughts and perceptions change about Pluto? No, in fact many still consider Pluto the 9th planet. Did the reality of Pluto no longer being the 9th planet in our solar system change? Yes.

There was no perception based solely on faith, there was only truth. The truth of reality independent of one’s subjective beliefs.

All that stated, considering Nietzsche’s contemporaries themselves at the time considered him unbalanced or even insane and that Nietzsche’s views at the time were neither read nor much respected it is easy to do less than justice to his work. Still, his ideas should be taken in context like everything against the backdrop of the wider world of ideas and the world events unfolding that influenced Nietzsche’s ideas.

One final constructive thought, Nietzsche’s ideas were his responses to the evolutionary philosophies such as Darwinism & Positivism which were being wildly embraced, acknowledging those influences in your OP is worth considering.
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm

If truth is absurd, and your argument is true, then it is also absurd. According to the definition of the word absurd, the terms "truth" and "absurd" are virtually mutually exclusive. Therefore, your argument cannot be true.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm

I tend to believe there is an objective reality but our perceptions of it are not necessarily valid. Indeed we are limited. However, from a rational standpoint, we have to accept our perception for what it is. If, hypothetically, the human race was incapable of seeing the color red, we'd still have to define the universe and our existence without it. And that wouldn't mean the color red doesn't exist at all in the eyes of a hypothetical human species that did have the type of eyesight to see it, it just means the species that can't see red really would be wasting their time pondering the color they'll never see.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
VogoLannd wrote:
It is impossible to prove whether a square truly exists and has four sides. You see something which seems to have four sides and I see that this thing has four sides but what that means is that this thing has the semblance of having four sides according to our subjective faculties and nothing more. If the entire human race agreed that this thing we were looking at has four sides then it would only prove the semblance of the thing having four sides according to human beings. Semblance is not essence.

It has nothing to do with semblance (or the accidents to be more philosophical) because the form of a square exists independently of all human senses. The essence of a square itself is being a geometric figure with four sides and four right angles.

Prove this statement to be wrong, or give me a good reason to doubt this statement:

It is true that all bachelors are unmarried.

This is known as an analytic proposition (see, for example, Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant).

1. This still has not been addressed by the OP.

2. Everyone keeps talking about Friedrich Nietzsche. It is also quite possible that the OP has been reading too much Albert Camus.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Christian Democrats wrote: Everyone keeps talking about Friedrich Nietzsche. It is also quite possible that the OP has been reading too much Albert Camus.

VogoLannd wrote:Heavily influenced by Nietzsche's Perspectivism.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Free Soviets wrote:if you could make it so that there was a coherent way to say 'there is no truth', criteria would be impossible.

The OP is basically like "Hey guys, I found this brand new idea no one's ever thought of before called epistemological relativism. Whaddya think?"
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

I'm interested to know if anyone can prove that logic does not use our limitations and inabilities as means to establish objective truth?

In other words: I believe that in logic whatever is considered to be objectively fallacious is so because we can not comprehend it or accomplish it. So logic is the belief that human limitation helps us determine what is objective truth. How is this not so?

Even if I think that logically I will walk up the staircase I am about to encounter, this seems to stem from my memories of myself going up a staircase a countless amount of times before. Logically those instances seem similar to me because essentially each one of those instances involves me walking up a staircase, my inability to decipher any significant difference from those instances results in my conviction that in all likelihood I will walk up this staircase because I believe I was in the same kind of situation many times before. My inability to detect much difference from my prior experiences walking up staircases has resulted in my belief that objectively I will probably walk up the staircase I am about to encounter. Limitation has lead to truth.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:52 pm

VogoLannd wrote:As I understand it, the word objective is defined as an attribute which signifies incontestable reality towards the idea or thing that it is attached to. This means that if I claim X to be objective then X is a reality beyond my perspective and other perspectives cannot alter this X. The problem with ascribing anything objective to X is that all my faculties of evaluation are subjective in essence. I will use language and an apple as examples to demonstrate the impossibility of transforming our subjective beliefs into objective facts.

How is it that anything is properly labeled in language? or more specifically why is an apple regarded as an apple? Some may claim that the word apple is derived from the word aplaz which is from an older proto-Germanic language but then I retort why was an apple labeled aplaz? let's regress to the zero level, before any language existed as a precedent, how is it that humanity labeled the apple? here I claim as in everything else the chasm between human subjectivity and the true essence of the thing being observed is impossible to breech. When humans utter the word apple it is a sound and nothing more and when humans write the word apple it is a scribbling which is felt to be appropriate to the utterance. Neither the sound nor the scribbling brings us any closer to the essence of the thing in question. Would it be any more or less accurate to label an apple a schmaple or a durkato? And what if we were to draw two bent lines with an exclamation point at the end? How is this any less accurate than the word apple? What transpires at the origin of an object's labeling is devoid of any truth, what actually occurs is the conjuration of a belief. The man labeling the object with his particular version of the word apple is fostering a conviction that X from now on shall be called Y but there is no basis in objective reality for this connection! No incontestable proof whatsoever!

What is this if not faith? For faith is defined as a firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Mankind observes phenomena, cannot possibly fathom it's objective essence, and yet a word is assigned to it with no actual insight gained. Now we see the abyss hidden beneath everything we've ever held to be true. There is no idea more genuine or favorable than another if truth is factored into our evaluations. Neither scientist nor priest has a more accurate grasp on reality since both are human and in possession of subjective faculties. The proud claim to truth of the scientific community is no less an article of faith than the Christian belief in the Holy Bible as the word of God.

There is no truth, there are only perspectives based solely on faith. Therefore,as far as humanity is concerned, all is faith. One should never be dissuaded from their beliefs because others claim they are "inaccurate" or "not based on fact" for this type of criticism emanates from an absurd and impossible demand to be assured of the truth behind an idea before holding it as one's own and acting upon it. If such a criteria was to be existentially forced on our species then all vestiges of language, philosophy, art, time, music, religion, science, politics, etc would be promptly removed from human history. Truth is an absurdity that man ought to throw overboard.

Heavily influenced by Nietzsche's Perspectivism. I would appreciate any thoughts or constructive criticism.

Your argument against "truth" not only fails to grasp the Nietzschean position, but since it relies upon logic and truth statements, is self-refuting.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 pm

VogoLannd wrote:I'm interested to know if anyone can prove that logic does not use our limitations and inabilities as means to establish objective truth?

In other words: I believe that in logic whatever is considered to be objectively fallacious is so because we can not comprehend it or accomplish it. So logic is the belief that human limitation helps us determine what is objective truth. How is this not so?

Even if I think that logically I will walk up the staircase I am about to encounter, this seems to stem from my memories of myself going up a staircase a countless amount of times before. Logically those instances seem similar to me because essentially each one of those instances involves me walking up a staircase, my inability to decipher any significant difference from those instances results in my conviction that in all likelihood I will walk up this staircase because I believe I was in the same kind of situation many times before. My inability to detect much difference from my prior experiences walking up staircases has resulted in my belief that objectively I will probably walk up the staircase I am about to encounter. Limitation has lead to truth.

Logic is the process of using assumed data to reach a conclusion about unknown data.

Therefore, logic is only as viable as the data used to reach the conclusion.

So something can be logically true, yet factually wrong.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
VogoLannd wrote:As I understand it, the word objective is defined as an attribute which signifies incontestable reality towards the idea or thing that it is attached to. This means that if I claim X to be objective then X is a reality beyond my perspective and other perspectives cannot alter this X. The problem with ascribing anything objective to X is that all my faculties of evaluation are subjective in essence. I will use language and an apple as examples to demonstrate the impossibility of transforming our subjective beliefs into objective facts.

How is it that anything is properly labeled in language? or more specifically why is an apple regarded as an apple? Some may claim that the word apple is derived from the word aplaz which is from an older proto-Germanic language but then I retort why was an apple labeled aplaz? let's regress to the zero level, before any language existed as a precedent, how is it that humanity labeled the apple? here I claim as in everything else the chasm between human subjectivity and the true essence of the thing being observed is impossible to breech. When humans utter the word apple it is a sound and nothing more and when humans write the word apple it is a scribbling which is felt to be appropriate to the utterance. Neither the sound nor the scribbling brings us any closer to the essence of the thing in question. Would it be any more or less accurate to label an apple a schmaple or a durkato? And what if we were to draw two bent lines with an exclamation point at the end? How is this any less accurate than the word apple? What transpires at the origin of an object's labeling is devoid of any truth, what actually occurs is the conjuration of a belief. The man labeling the object with his particular version of the word apple is fostering a conviction that X from now on shall be called Y but there is no basis in objective reality for this connection! No incontestable proof whatsoever!

What is this if not faith? For faith is defined as a firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Mankind observes phenomena, cannot possibly fathom it's objective essence, and yet a word is assigned to it with no actual insight gained. Now we see the abyss hidden beneath everything we've ever held to be true. There is no idea more genuine or favorable than another if truth is factored into our evaluations. Neither scientist nor priest has a more accurate grasp on reality since both are human and in possession of subjective faculties. The proud claim to truth of the scientific community is no less an article of faith than the Christian belief in the Holy Bible as the word of God.

There is no truth, there are only perspectives based solely on faith. Therefore,as far as humanity is concerned, all is faith. One should never be dissuaded from their beliefs because others claim they are "inaccurate" or "not based on fact" for this type of criticism emanates from an absurd and impossible demand to be assured of the truth behind an idea before holding it as one's own and acting upon it. If such a criteria was to be existentially forced on our species then all vestiges of language, philosophy, art, time, music, religion, science, politics, etc would be promptly removed from human history. Truth is an absurdity that man ought to throw overboard.

Heavily influenced by Nietzsche's Perspectivism. I would appreciate any thoughts or constructive criticism.

Your argument against "truth" not only fails to grasp the Nietzschean position, but since it relies upon logic and truth statements, is self-refuting.

Oh are you the grand orthodox Nietzschean that decides who has a grasp of his ideas and who does not? Regardless, heavily influenced=/= me claiming to have fully grasped his position regarding truth.

Yes, according to logic my arguement is self-rufuting. This was already stated and I have already stated my ideas regarding logic. Read the last couple of pages oh great one.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

VogoLannd wrote: In other words: I believe that in logic whatever is considered to be objectively fallacious is so because we can not comprehend it or accomplish it. So logic is the belief that human limitation helps us determine what is objective truth. How is this not so?

Well then you're wrong. That's simply not the case. Science has lots of concepts that the human mind cannot grasp, it's why science is so mathematical. A lot of the concepts can only truly be represented to us mathematically.

If you're talking about things like causality, those are by no means logically established as true, they're just accepted as axioms not by logic, but by the people who employ the logic. Because they hold in every case we know of and because it simplifies everything.

Logic demonstrably leads us to the truth.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:09 pm

VogoLannd wrote:Yes, according to logic my arguement is self-rufuting. This was already stated and I have already stated my ideas regarding logic. Read the last couple of pages oh great one.

No, you're missing the point.

If your argument were correct, then your argument would be invalid.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Person012345 wrote:
VogoLannd wrote: In other words: I believe that in logic whatever is considered to be objectively fallacious is so because we can not comprehend it or accomplish it. So logic is the belief that human limitation helps us determine what is objective truth. How is this not so?

Well then you're wrong. That's simply not the case. Science has lots of concepts that the human mind cannot grasp, it's why science is so mathematical. A lot of the concepts can only truly be represented to us mathematically.

If you're talking about things like causality, those are by no means logically established as true, they're just accepted as axioms not by logic, but by the people who employ the logic. Because they hold in every case we know of and because it simplifies everything.

With proper assumptions beforehand, of course.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:15 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Person012345 wrote:Well then you're wrong. That's simply not the case. Science has lots of concepts that the human mind cannot grasp, it's why science is so mathematical. A lot of the concepts can only truly be represented to us mathematically.

With proper assumptions beforehand, of course.

With true premises, applying logic leads us to the truth. Of course, with untrue premises you can prove anything. But if said untrue premises were in fact true (as is assumed when making a premise) then the conclusion WOULD be true. So it's no fault with logic in that regard.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Person012345 wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:With proper assumptions beforehand, of course.

With true premises, applying logic leads us to the truth. Of course, with untrue premises you can prove anything. But if said untrue premises were in fact true (as is assumed when making a premise) then the conclusion WOULD be true. So it's no fault with logic in that regard.

I know, it's just that some people think that just because they thought really hard on something for a long time that they are irrefutable.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Person012345 wrote:

The very way in which you wrote your response proves me right. The sentence "Science has lots of concepts that the human mind cannot grasp" was stated so assuredly and authoritatively and human limitation was the cause, since there exist concepts that you cannot grasp and no one you know or ever heard of can grasp them either then it is objectively the case that there are concepts that the human mind can't grasp. Limitation has led to truth.

The sentence "Because they hold in every case we know of and because it simplifies everything" compliments my example with the stair case, to hold true in every case is to be unable to decipher any significant difference between the cases, therefore the cases are similar and the outcome will be similar, inability/limitation has led to truth.
Last edited by VogoLannd on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:35 pm

VogoLannd wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Your argument against "truth" not only fails to grasp the Nietzschean position, but since it relies upon logic and truth statements, is self-refuting.

Oh are you the grand orthodox Nietzschean that decides who has a grasp of his ideas and who does not? Regardless, heavily influenced=/= me claiming to have fully grasped his position regarding truth.

Yes, according to logic my arguement is self-rufuting. This was already stated and I have already stated my ideas regarding logic. Read the last couple of pages oh great one.

No, but considering I've studied under some people who are respected authorities on the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, I do think that I have a pretty good grasp on what he actually thought.

As for the rest...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:10 pm

VogoLannd wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Your argument against "truth" not only fails to grasp the Nietzschean position, but since it relies upon logic and truth statements, is self-refuting.

Yes, according to logic my arguement is self-rufuting.

indeed. of course, it is also self-refuting according to not-logic as well. fun times.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General