NATION

PASSWORD

Truth is an absurdity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:56 pm

It is true that a square has four sides!

Will the OP please prove this to be wrong; or, at the very least, will he give me a good reason to doubt this statement?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:It is true that a square has four sides!

Will the OP please prove this to be wrong; or, at the very least, will he give me a good reason to doubt this statement?

Holy SHIT I just realized something!

Saying there is no truth is a paradox!

It would mean the statement is false, which would mean that there is some truth somewhere out there.

But someone probably already said that, ok.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:29 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:

Holy SHIT I just realized something!

It would mean the statement is false, which would mean that there is some truth somewhere out there.

I beat you to it.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Holy SHIT I just realized something!

I beat you to it.

Is that the truth?

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:
I beat you to it.

Is that the truth?

Yes.

VogoLannd
Secretary

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:36 pm

It is impossible to prove whether a square truly exists and has four sides. You see something which seems to have four sides and I see that this thing has four sides but what that means is that this thing has the semblance of having four sides according to our subjective faculties and nothing more. If the entire human race agreed that this thing we were looking at has four sides then it would only prove the semblance of the thing having four sides according to human beings. Semblance is not essence.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:37 pm

VogoLannd wrote:

It is impossible to prove whether a square truly exists and has four sides. You see something which seems to have four sides and I see that this thing has four sides but what that means is that this thing has the semblance of having four sides according to our subjective faculties and nothing more. If the entire human race agreed that this thing we were looking at has four sides then it would only prove the semblance of the thing having four sides according to human beings. Semblance is not essence.

If it's agreed upon by all subjective views, then it's objective.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

VogoLannd wrote:

A square is an abstract idea, and therefore internal.

You might as well say numbers don't exist.

Abstract ideas are different from concrete objects because while the latter has to deal with the interpretation of something outside the body, and therefore dependent on the mind to detect (if it is truly there anyway), abstract ideas are self-generated. Language only tells us how to construct them ourselves, but we are the architects of each in our own minds.

I cannot show you a circle in reality, I can only show you a representation of one. You have to have the idea in your own mind afterwards.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Absolute Truths exist, for example, 2 + 2 will always equal 4

But you are correct in the fact that a majority of "truth" is subjective.
"Metaphysics is a dark ocean without shores or lighthouse, strewn with many a philosophic wreck"

"Every thought creates vibrations. Vibrations are like sound waves or radiations. No obstacles, no hurdles can stop them. Kind thoughts make good vibrations"

Thinking Things Into Being

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:51 pm

VogoLannd wrote:

No, a square has four sides by definition. We didn't see squares out in nature and declare "these are things with 4 sides, by Jove!". We instead, in the process of naming geometric figures, said, "And henceforth, all figures with exactly four equal sides, and exactly four 90° interior angles, shall be called 'squares'," and therefore anything that is a square is a thing with 4 sides. No subjectivity, no lack of perception, it's simple, objective truth.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
VogoLannd wrote:

No, a square has four sides by definition. We didn't see squares out in nature and declare "these are things with 4 sides, by Jove!". We instead, in the process of naming geometric figures, said, "And henceforth, all figures with exactly four equal sides, and exactly four 90° interior angles, shall be called 'squares'," and therefore anything that is a square is a thing with 4 sides. No subjectivity, no lack of perception, it's simple, objective truth.

Observing anything is subjective.
"Metaphysics is a dark ocean without shores or lighthouse, strewn with many a philosophic wreck"

"Every thought creates vibrations. Vibrations are like sound waves or radiations. No obstacles, no hurdles can stop them. Kind thoughts make good vibrations"

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Metaphysics wrote:2 + 2 will always equal 4

2.45 + 2.45 = 4.9

Round the figures, watch what happens.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:56 pm

Metaphysics wrote:Absolute Truths exist, for example, 2 + 2 will always equal 4

The correct question is "can anything beyond me be a lie and would I be able to know?"

As an example, say I am a king in a room. It is all I have ever known in my entire life.

I have 5 messengers who tell me of the world, it's features, and of my kingdom of which I rule.

They ask for orders, I give them, and they come back later with a response.

They are my only connection to the world outside of my room, and I trust them because I have no better option.

The question to ask is, is there really a world beyond that room.

Do I really have a kingdom.

Couldn't the messengers be liars.

All I am sure of is the room, and I don't truly know how to leave.

I trust the messengers, but if all this time they were utter liars, I wouldn't know, and would have know way of knowing.

Likewise with the conscious mind.

All you can be sure of is the mind that is in itself thinking, all else is handled by what you assume are your senses, and what you then assume to tell you information that is correct about the world, or whether there is a world at all.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Metaphysics wrote:2 + 2 will always equal 4

2.45 + 2.45 = 4.9

Round the figures, watch what happens.

rounding is a non-truth. Its an appeal to people's 'laziness' LOL

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Metaphysics wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:No, a square has four sides by definition. We didn't see squares out in nature and declare "these are things with 4 sides, by Jove!". We instead, in the process of naming geometric figures, said, "And henceforth, all figures with exactly four equal sides, and exactly four 90° interior angles, shall be called 'squares'," and therefore anything that is a square is a thing with 4 sides. No subjectivity, no lack of perception, it's simple, objective truth.

In that post, what is being observed?

Xenohumanity wrote:

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Metaphysics wrote:Absolute Truths exist, for example, 2 + 2 will always equal 4

The correct question is "can anything beyond me be a lie and would I be able to know?"

As an example, say I am a king in a room. It is all I have ever known in my entire life.

I have 5 messengers who tell me of the world, it's features, and of my kingdom of which I rule.

They ask for orders, I give them, and they come back later with a response.

They are my only connection to the world outside of my room, and I trust them because I have no better option.

The question to ask is, is there really a world beyond that room.

Do I really have a kingdom.

Couldn't the messengers be liars.

All I am sure of is the room, and I don't truly know how to leave.

I trust the messengers, but if all this time they were utter liars, I wouldn't know, and would have know way of knowing.

Likewise with the conscious mind.

All you can be sure of is the mind that is in itself thinking, all else is handled by what you assume are your senses, and what you then assume to tell you information that is correct about the world, or whether there is a world at all.

which is why we need to say that observation is subjective. Good proof, I like it.

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:
VogoLannd wrote:

What of alien life? even if we can somehow magically achieve a universal human consensus we have not considered the opinions of other sophisticated life forms that may exist in the universe with their own perspectives. We would have to gather ALL that are capable of making subjective evaluations before proclaiming that every sophisticated being with subjective faculties agrees that this object is what we say it is.

EVEN IF THAT WERE TO BE ACCOMPLISHED, all you have is an agreement between subjective beings that an object has the semblance of being such and such. It would be arrogant in my opinion to assume that if we were all to vanish that that square would definitely be a square and it would without a doubt have four sides etc.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 pm

VogoLannd wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

What of alien life? even if we can somehow magically achieve a universal human consensus we have not considered the opinions of other sophisticated life forms that may exist in the universe with their own perspectives. We would have to gather ALL that are capable of making subjective evaluations before proclaiming that every sophisticated being with subjective faculties agrees that this object is what we say it is.

EVEN IF THAT WERE TO BE ACCOMPLISHED, all you have is an agreement between subjective beings that an object has the semblance of being such and such. It would be arrogant in my opinion to assume that if we were all to vanish that that square would definitely be a square and it would without a doubt have four sides etc.

Even simpler, if a schizophrenic is the only being in the universe...

...I think you can see the implications.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Metaphysics wrote:

In that post, what is being observed?

The "4 sides" the "exactly four 90 degree interior angles"

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Four equal sides, 90 degree interior angles, numbers and words. Like I wrote before, I believe whatever we utter and whatever we write has it's origin in convictions which lack incontestable/objective proof. So here I see the proposal that the belief in words and and the belief in numbers carries the objective truth of the square. Subjective belief carrying truth on it's shoulders.

You position one faith down then you posit another faith on top of it and on top of that you get incontestable truth. You my friend are an alchemist. For there is surely some magic involved in that last step.

Dongolia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Dongolia » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 pm

VogoLannd wrote:Truth is an absurdity that man ought to throw overboard.

How? Think about this and you'll realise that your reasoning, while not incorrect, is largely academic ... Enter realism.
Quote of the Day

One of the most retarded things I've read on NSG:
Sobaeg wrote:Because of Insurance and Credit and market forces, blue collar and white-collar goods and services are overly inflated.

Metaphysics (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Metaphysics (Ancient) » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:
VogoLannd wrote:

This is inherently false. If everyone was color blind and saw red as green or green as red, that would still not be a truth. Green and Red are two independent colors.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Metaphysics wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:In that post, what is being observed?

The "4 sides" the "exactly four 90 degree interior angles"

You don't have to observe for equal sides and four 90° angles (which actually should have been 4 equal angles, I forgot to account for curved surfaces, damn you non-euclidean geometry!) to state that something possessing them to be categorized a certain way. Much like I don't have to observe a creature with the front of a eagle and the back of a lion to define such a thing as a griffon.

Xenohumanity wrote:

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:39 pm

OP:

Your mom is an absurdity.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 pm

VogoLannd wrote:

Four equal sides, 90 degree interior angles, numbers and words. Like I wrote before, I believe whatever we utter and whatever we write has it's origin in convictions which lack incontestable/objective proof. So here I see the proposal that the belief in words and and the belief in numbers carries the objective truth of the square. Subjective belief carrying truth on it's shoulders.

You position one faith down then you posit another faith on top of it and on top of that you get incontestable truth. You my friend are an alchemist. For there is surely some magic involved in that last step.

No magic, you are just looking at the world in a fun house mirror. What do you even mean by "the belief in words and and the belief in numbers"? I have posited no faiths, regardless of what you claim.

Xenohumanity wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General