NATION

PASSWORD

Truth is an absurdity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
VogoLannd
Secretary

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Truth is an absurdity

Postby VogoLannd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 am

As I understand it, the word objective is defined as an attribute which signifies incontestable reality towards the idea or thing that it is attached to. This means that if I claim X to be objective then X is a reality beyond my perspective and other perspectives cannot alter this X. The problem with ascribing anything objective to X is that all my faculties of evaluation are subjective in essence. I will use language and an apple as examples to demonstrate the impossibility of transforming our subjective beliefs into objective facts.

How is it that anything is properly labeled in language? or more specifically why is an apple regarded as an apple? Some may claim that the word apple is derived from the word aplaz which is from an older proto-Germanic language but then I retort why was an apple labeled aplaz? let's regress to the zero level, before any language existed as a precedent, how is it that humanity labeled the apple? here I claim as in everything else the chasm between human subjectivity and the true essence of the thing being observed is impossible to breech. When humans utter the word apple it is a sound and nothing more and when humans write the word apple it is a scribbling which is felt to be appropriate to the utterance. Neither the sound nor the scribbling brings us any closer to the essence of the thing in question. Would it be any more or less accurate to label an apple a schmaple or a durkato? And what if we were to draw two bent lines with an exclamation point at the end? How is this any less accurate than the word apple? What transpires at the origin of an object's labeling is devoid of any truth, what actually occurs is the conjuration of a belief. The man labeling the object with his particular version of the word apple is fostering a conviction that X from now on shall be called Y but there is no basis in objective reality for this connection! No incontestable proof whatsoever!

What is this if not faith? For faith is defined as a firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Mankind observes phenomena, cannot possibly fathom it's objective essence, and yet a word is assigned to it with no actual insight gained. Now we see the abyss hidden beneath everything we've ever held to be true. There is no idea more genuine or favorable than another if truth is factored into our evaluations. Neither scientist nor priest has a more accurate grasp on reality since both are human and in possession of subjective faculties. The proud claim to truth of the scientific community is no less an article of faith than the Christian belief in the Holy Bible as the word of God.

There is no truth, there are only perspectives based solely on faith. Therefore,as far as humanity is concerned, all is faith. One should never be dissuaded from their beliefs because others claim they are "inaccurate" or "not based on fact" for this type of criticism emanates from an absurd and impossible demand to be assured of the truth behind an idea before holding it as one's own and acting upon it. If such a criteria was to be existentially forced on our species then all vestiges of language, philosophy, art, time, music, religion, science, politics, etc would be promptly removed from human history. Truth is an absurdity that man ought to throw overboard.

Heavily influenced by Nietzsche's Perspectivism. I would appreciate any thoughts or constructive criticism.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:35 am

The truth exists.
Either something is true, or not true, but SOMETHING must be true.

COGITO ERGO SUM is a true statement (one of the only ones we have, as it happens.)
We halve the distance between us and the truth by investigation and inquiry, and logical statements. Yes, it may not be possible to ever get there, but near as as makes no difference.
To say the sky is light frequency X-X-Y may be off by a small factor, and thus not true, but we are ALMOST there and near enough as makes no difference.

Then there is truth in a subjective sense.
"The sky is blue."

Well, what is blue other than a perception of light which our brains have codified a particular way?
Is the sky INHERENTLY blue? No, ofcourse not. It's inherently a particular frequency of light waves.
But that doesn't make the statement "the sky is blue" any less true, because we are describing our perception of the sky. Blue ONLY exists in perception, so it is perfectly justified to say it's a true statement.

Then there are areas where it gets grey.

"The word blue describes light frequency X-X-Y."
This is also a TRUE STATEMENT. since blue describes that frequency. We may have assigned the WRONG frequency, but that doesn't make the description wrong.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Rudie
Attaché

Founded: Nov 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rudie » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Just read Nietzsche, then?
"A single striker, a single Occupy protester, a single draft resister...has done infinitely more for the cause of freedom, for the cause of his people, and for the cause of all mankind, than have all the soldiers in history." Franklin Delano Bluth.
"153. You should not beat a farmer's son: he has constructed your embankments and ditches."

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson wrote:After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the non-existence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it, 'I refute it thus.'
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 pm

Cogito ergo sum.

Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Yankee Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:50 pm

Everything comes down to faith, I think, only because we are not omniscient.

But we think some things are more likely than others and so clarify it as being a reasonable belief rather than pure faith.

But even Rationalism puts faith it peoples ability to reason, and Empiricism put's faith in the correctness of the senses, but claim it is not faith, based on the consitency of results that they find, even when talking to others, so they believe that it can't be merely subjective because of this.
Last edited by Yankee Empire on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

Adventus Secundus
Ambassador

Founded: May 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Adventus Secundus » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Strongly appreciate this. Well put, OP.

The statement "Cogito, ergo sum" is not something that is innately true, it rests upon certain presuppositions (I would encourage you to read Descarte's meditations, it is quite clear there, especially in the third meditation), namely, that we are not somehow created to think fallaciously, or that thought itself is not a phantasm and an illusion.
“The supreme function of reason is to show man that some things are beyond reason”---Blaise Pascal
"Just by being themselves, they make the best case against humanism." Luke Winkie

Constantinopolis wrote:
To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, I would choose to live as if God existed even if I knew He didn't. Either I am on the side of Life Victorious, or I am making a defiant but hopeless last stand against the all-consuming abyss. It does not really matter which it is. I am doing the right thing either way.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Strongly appreciate this. Well put, OP.

The statement "Cogito, ergo sum" is not something that is innately true, it rests upon certain presuppositions (I would encourage you to read Descarte's meditations, it is quite clear there, especially in the third meditation), namely, that we are not somehow created to think fallaciously, or that thought itself is not a phantasm and an illusion.

This objection can be dismissed by the bastardization
"Cogito ergo sumthing" :p

There must be something to cause the phantasm or illusion.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:14 pm

Truth exists. Anything else is wildly self-contradictory.

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Adventus Secundus wrote:Strongly appreciate this. Well put, OP.

Agreed, the implicit assumption of cogito ergo sum is that a unified self, an I, is truly real and not merely a fragile construction. Indeed, every aspect of our life is built upon a series of useful assumptions that we take on faith to be true, even though they may not be. It is this framework that guides our every action. While I am certain an objective reality exists, it is beyond any mortal's comprehension in regards to ascertaining the truth. That is not to say we are incapable of detecting apparent patterns that approximate the truth enough to be useful, but I'd say reality is, in many ways, unknowable.
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:The truth exists.
Either something is true, or not true, but SOMETHING must be true.

Well here I present the initial problem with language that I did in the case of the apple. Your very formulation of that statement is an act of faith in my opinion. You believe that those words mean what they mean but as with the apple you can go to the zero level of everyone of those terms and once again you are faced with the human being labeling an idea or thing, human subjectivity is again face to face with phenomena it can in no way gain any objective insight into. At this point it seems to me that groundless belief begins no matter what we say or write.

I believe this also applies to your statements about Descartes and light frequencies. Thank you for your input!

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:37 pm

You may be interested in the philosophy of language and which type of chirp different birds make are labels for "oh look, teh predator iz coming". And you need to justify your incredibly far logical leap from language to suddenly, faith, and that there is no truth.
Code: Select all

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:40 pm

VogoLannd wrote:As I understand it, the word objective is defined as an attribute which signifies incontestable reality towards the idea or thing that it is attached to. This means that if I claim X to be objective then X is a reality beyond my perspective and other perspectives cannot alter this X. The problem with ascribing anything objective to X is that all my faculties of evaluation are subjective in essence. I will use language and an apple as examples to demonstrate the impossibility of transforming our subjective beliefs into objective facts.

How is it that anything is properly labeled in language? or more specifically why is an apple regarded as an apple? Some may claim that the word apple is derived from the word aplaz which is from an older proto-Germanic language but then I retort why was an apple labeled aplaz? let's regress to the zero level, before any language existed as a precedent, how is it that humanity labeled the apple? here I claim as in everything else the chasm between human subjectivity and the true essence of the thing being observed is impossible to breech. When humans utter the word apple it is a sound and nothing more and when humans write the word apple it is a scribbling which is felt to be appropriate to the utterance. Neither the sound nor the scribbling brings us any closer to the essence of the thing in question. Would it be any more or less accurate to label an apple a schmaple or a durkato? And what if we were to draw two bent lines with an exclamation point at the end? How is this any less accurate than the word apple? What transpires at the origin of an object's labeling is devoid of any truth, what actually occurs is the conjuration of a belief. The man labeling the object with his particular version of the word apple is fostering a conviction that X from now on shall be called Y but there is no basis in objective reality for this connection! No incontestable proof whatsoever!

What is this if not faith? For faith is defined as a firm belief in something for which there is no proof. Mankind observes phenomena, cannot possibly fathom it's objective essence, and yet a word is assigned to it with no actual insight gained. Now we see the abyss hidden beneath everything we've ever held to be true. There is no idea more genuine or favorable than another if truth is factored into our evaluations. Neither scientist nor priest has a more accurate grasp on reality since both are human and in possession of subjective faculties. The proud claim to truth of the scientific community is no less an article of faith than the Christian belief in the Holy Bible as the word of God.

There is no truth, there are only perspectives based solely on faith. Therefore,as far as humanity is concerned, all is faith. One should never be dissuaded from their beliefs because others claim they are "inaccurate" or "not based on fact" for this type of criticism emanates from an absurd and impossible demand to be assured of the truth behind an idea before holding it as one's own and acting upon it. If such a criteria was to be existentially forced on our species then all vestiges of language, philosophy, art, time, music, religion, science, politics, etc would be promptly removed from human history. Truth is an absurdity that man ought to throw overboard.

Heavily influenced by Nietzsche's Perspectivism. I would appreciate any thoughts or constructive criticism.

to love truth for the truths sake is the seedplot of virtue and the font of all human happiness.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Suppose we grant everything you said, so what?
What do you propose we do about it? Stop trying to find the truth?
Ostro.MOV

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Suppose we grant everything you said, so what?

Let's stop trying to find the truth because he's correct about truth not existing. Wait a minute! That implies he is correct, and anything that is correct is truthful!

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Typhlochactas wrote:

Let's stop trying to find the truth because he's correct about truth not existing. Wait a minute! That implies he is correct, and anything that is correct is truthful!

That too, but i'm granting his premise regardless to point out how useless his proposal is.
Ostro.MOV

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:47 pm

I suppose I would like people to do what they want, for everything we hold to be true is a fiction. But let's be proud of our fictions and wear them as badges of honor! I think philosophers like Socrates who held something to be genuinely true had a negative effect on people with different values, his type of outlook on life made many forsake the pursuit of X or Y because no incontestable proof could be found for either but I say there is no incontestable proof for anything so why limit ourselves on the basis of this criteria? as Aleister Crowley stated "Do what thou wilt."

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:49 pm

VogoLannd wrote:I suppose I would like people to do what they want, for everything we hold to be true is a fiction.

Your proposal cannot be correct. Otherwise it would not be correct.

VogoLannd wrote: But let's be proud of our fictions and wear them as badges of honor! I think philosophers like Socrates who held something to be genuinely true had a negative effect on people with different values, his type of outlook on life made many forsake the pursuit of X or Y because no incontestable proof could be found for either but I say there is no incontestable proof for anything so why limit ourselves on the basis of this criteria? as Aleister Crowley stated "Do what thou wilt."

This is a really shitty argument for free will.

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I'll forgo the self-contradictory nature of your idea to simply ask you this. If you jump off a 12 story building, is your falling toward the ground merely a matter of "perspective"? If so, does that mean that there are equally valid "points of view" where you don't fall? Therefore, you fall or you levitate in the air, and which one happens depends upon who you ask and not upon what actually happens? Do you fall and not fall at the same time? Do you fall or not fall depending on the majority opinion of society?
Last edited by CVT Temp on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

Yewhohohopia
Minister

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yewhohohopia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Yer maw's an absurdity.

Checkmate.
A world of lonely men, and no love, no God.

VogoLannd
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby VogoLannd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
VogoLannd wrote:I suppose I would like people to do what they want, for everything we hold to be true is a fiction.

But not correct based on what? Is knowing the truth behind a phenomenon a necessary prerequisite for reacting to it or acting upon it?

CVT Temp
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm

VogoLannd wrote: But not correct based on what? Is knowing the truth behind a phenomenon a necessary prerequisite for reacting to it or acting upon it?

If your proposal is correct, then it means that no such thing as truth exists, i.e. that no statements can be made which are true. Thus, the statement that nothing is true itself cannot be true because no statements exists which is true.

In other words, your idea being true automatically implies that your idea is false.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:

VogoLannd wrote: But let's be proud of our fictions and wear them as badges of honor! I think philosophers like Socrates who held something to be genuinely true had a negative effect on people with different values, his type of outlook on life made many forsake the pursuit of X or Y because no incontestable proof could be found for either but I say there is no incontestable proof for anything so why limit ourselves on the basis of this criteria? as Aleister Crowley stated "Do what thou wilt."

This is a really shitty argument for free will.

Did someone say free will?

Let me break out ma duelin' monocle.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Kubrath
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kubrath » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:05 pm

There's a good quote I saw someplace I don't clearly remember, it goes a little something like this:

"I wonder how many lives were wasted pondering over the reality of the world they lived in."
Kubrath Embassy Program
If your commanders are surprised every time they lose a squad, they probably die several minutes into a campaign due to being critically over-gasped.

North Valinka: What kind of an oxymoron is "Libertarian Police State"?
Petroviya: It arrests law makers.

Phocidaea wrote:Maybe democracy isn't the way?

Of course democracy is the way, dammit! There is no such thing as too much democracy!

Fuckin' dictatorships.

Sociobiology wrote:This is the problem with trying to understand the universe with a brain evolved to find ripe fruit and scream defiance at the ape in the next tree.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:07 pm

VogoLannd wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:Your proposal cannot be correct. Otherwise it would not be correct.

But not correct based on what? Is knowing the truth behind a phenomenon a necessary prerequisite for reacting to it or acting upon it?

If it was true, it would literally not be true. Cannot co-exist.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General