NATION

PASSWORD

With a Wing and A Prayer...Yer Fired. Blame Obama & Voters

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9191
Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Phocidaea wrote:A prayer, you say?

I'm praying to have Jesus bust into this asshole's mansion and give this guy a good smacking over the head with that book of his.


I am a staunch atheist but that would make me a believer alright...
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

User avatar
Straughn
Senator
 
Posts: 3528
Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:Nice to see that people on the right are not sore losers. Oh...wait...scratch that..

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... story.html

After Obama reelection, Murray Energy CEO reads prayer, announces layoffs

By Steven Mufson, Published: November 9

For the chairman and chief executive of Murray Energy, an Ohio-based coal company, the reelection of President Obama was no cause for celebration. It was a time for prayer — and layoffs.

Robert E. Murray read a prayer to a group of company staff members on the day after the election, lamenting the direction of the country and asking: “Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build.”

On Wednesday, Murray also laid off 54 people at American Coal, one of his subsidiary companies, and 102 at Utah American Energy, blaming a “war on coal” by the Obama administration. Although that charge was repeatedly leveled during the election, energy analysts say that the coal-mining business is suffering because of competition from low-cost natural gas and rising production costs of coal, especially in the Appalachian region.

Murray Energy is the country’s largest privately owned coal mining company, with about 3,000 employees producing about 30 million tons of bituminous coal a year, according to its Web site.

The company was the subject of an article in the New Republic that said the firm forced miners to attend a Romney campaign speech in southeastern Ohio in August. Murray denied the account. The New Republic also reported that Murray Energy employees have given more than $1.4 million to Republican candidates for federal office since 2007.

Murray has been a target of environmentalists. Notably, the company has spilled coal slurry into a creek on seven occasions.

Murray’s prayer from Wednesday first appeared on the Web site of the Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Register. The newspaper said Murray supplied his text. The Washington Post confirmed its legitimacy with a company spokesman, Gary M. Broadbent.

Here is the full text of the prayer:

“Dear Lord:

The American people have made their choice. They have decided that America must change its course, away from the principals of our Founders. And, away from the idea of individual freedom and individual responsibility. Away from capitalism, economic responsibility, and personal acceptance.

We are a Country in favor of redistribution, national weakness and reduced standard of living and lower and lower levels of personal freedom.

My regret, Lord, is that our young people, including those in my own family, never will know what America was like or might have been. They will pay the price in their reduced standard of living and, most especially, reduced freedom.

The takers outvoted the producers. In response to this, I have turned to my Bible and in II Peter, Chapter 1, verses 4-9 it says, ‘To faith we are to add goodness; to goodness, knowledge; to knowledge, self control; to self control, perseverance; to perseverance, godliness; to godliness, kindness; to brotherly kindness, love.’

Lord, please forgive me and anyone with me in Murray Energy Corp. for the decisions that we are now forced to make to preserve the very existence of any of the enterprises that you have helped us build. We ask for your guidance in this drastic time with the drastic decisions that will be made to have any hope of our survival as an American business enterprise.

Amen.”

I vote for asshole.

DEFINITELY not trite as i say this, highly evidently ... 2nded.

User avatar
Seangoli
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5105
Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Considering that there have been more coal jobs created under the current administration than the previous administration, I'm calling shenanigans. Likely the layoffs were long in the making due to increased market pressure from plummeting natural gas and they are using this as a convenient scapegoat. So yep. Obvious to me that they are lying bastards. Not something that hasn't been seen in the past in similar sorts of labor industries.

User avatar
SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 21714
Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:07 pm

They found an ingenious way to deflect the blame that many people will buy into. Magically its Obamas fault that jobs were lost because he was relected. They are just preparing for the fallout that they just know hell bring them because the prophet pundits saidit would be thus.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

User avatar
Indira
Minister
 
Posts: 3339
Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:16 pm

The answer is both. Coal isn't competitive and it makes sense in that respect. On the flip side, using Obama as an excuse is outright class-one bs. If Romney had won (Thank whatever God you believe in or whatever) he'd STILL be laying these workers off and saying how fortunate Romney won so he's not laying off more.

User avatar
Lackadaisical2
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 50831
Founded: Mar 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lackadaisical2 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Warinemachine wrote:I consider myself a conservative and I don't get why obama gets so much flak. I mean he killed Osama deported illegals, and prosecuted some rogue CIA agents ( not 100% sure about the last one). So his one healthcare law makes him into :twisted: ?


It's the D beside his name. It means he's evil, Satan incarnate, and the Republican party is just looking for their Michael to kick his ass back into the pit.

Vote D for devil on election day. *nod*
Last edited by Lackadaisical2 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Proud member of the Vile Right-Wing Noodle Combat Division of the Imperialist Anti-Socialist Economic War Army Ground Force reporting in.

User avatar
CVT Temp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1860
Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Can we get a physicist in here? I want to measure that spin.


Sorry, I don't have enough paper to calculate the Clebsh-Gordon coefficients for a spin that big.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

User avatar
Pope Joan
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19302
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Obama has been a friend of coal. he has not done nearly enough to regulate mountaintop removal
http://science.nationalgeographic.com/s ... -move.html

Gassification of coal was an important part of his original energy independence agenda in 2008.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

User avatar
Liriena
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52697
Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Liriena » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Sue this asshole.
The Fabulous Pope of NS


I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism


⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

User avatar
New Sapienta
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9298
Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Because putting a gun to your workers head in a temper tantrum is such a good idea.

User avatar
Liriena
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52697
Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Liriena » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:39 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Because putting a gun to your workers head in a temper tantrum is such a good idea.


He should be glad American unions are not like Argentine ones. If he had done this shit in Argentina, he'd be dead or in exile, and his company would go broke in days.
The Fabulous Pope of NS


I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism


⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

User avatar
Straughn
Senator
 
Posts: 3528
Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:42 pm

CVT Temp wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Can we get a physicist in here? I want to measure that spin.


Sorry, I don't have enough paper to calculate the Clebsh-Gordon coefficients for a spin that big.

Hey, watch it ... i'm running outta WHOOP WHOOPs for ya.
:bow:

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48557
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:47 pm

It seems legitimate to me, the CEO predicts Obama will hurt his industry he has a duty to his share holders to minimize the loss by reducing expenses such as labor.

It maybe was poor form to add an anti Obama rant to the lay offs. Nothing however is particularly wrong with that.

So long as the manner in which the layoffs were conducted did not target people by political affiliation he should be protected from a discrimination claim. Luckily for him Coal is very unionized, so he has a labor contract that dictates how and when he can lay people off ( in most cases last hired first fired).
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
CVT Temp
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1860
Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby CVT Temp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Straughn wrote:Hey, watch it ... i'm running outta WHOOP WHOOPs for ya.
:bow:


I'm such a fucking nerd, but apparently that's popular here.
Иф ю кан рид дис, ю ар рили борд ор ю ар Россияне.

User avatar
Straughn
Senator
 
Posts: 3528
Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:58 pm

CVT Temp wrote:
Straughn wrote:Hey, watch it ... i'm running outta WHOOP WHOOPs for ya.
:bow:


I'm such a fucking nerd, but apparently that's popular here.

Hells and Happy Hunting Grounds yeah it is.

User avatar
Greed and Death
Post Czar
 
Posts: 48557
Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Obama has been a friend of coal. he has not done nearly enough to regulate mountaintop removal
http://science.nationalgeographic.com/s ... -move.html

Gassification of coal was an important part of his original energy independence agenda in 2008.


And your article likely points to the real reason for the lay offs, The company needs less miners to mine more coal thanks to new methods of mining.

But if the CEO predicts that giving his former workers a hatred to the democrat party might result in better shareholder returns I think he might have a duty to create that hatred in his former workers.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

User avatar
Minnysota
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6395
Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Charles Montgomery Burns wrote:It is nice to see this thread is filled with adolescents who have no true understanding of how the economy works, or how Obama's policies are destroying the energy industry in America.


Except for damn near every fact checker (if not all of them) has* disproved this.

EDIT: Grammatical error.
Last edited by Minnysota on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

User avatar
Straughn
Senator
 
Posts: 3528
Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Minnysota wrote:
Charles Montgomery Burns wrote:It is nice to see this thread is filled with adolescents who have no true understanding of how the economy works, or how Obama's policies are destroying the energy industry in America.


Except for damn near every fact checker (if not all of them) have disproved this.

Good thing the rapethepublicans publicly dissociated themselves with factchecking as the hindrance they so clearly are. Phew!

User avatar
Dyakovo
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 83162
Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Khadgar wrote:
Laerod wrote:Get's worse during summer. We get all sorts of Ancaps, "Libertarians", "patriots", or Nazis then.



And yet how long has it been since we had a good communist ranting about the evils of the bourgeois?

I don't know... When was Andaras on last?
Last edited by Dyakovo on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

User avatar
The TransPecos
Envoy
 
Posts: 294
Founded: May 14, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The TransPecos » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Khadgar wrote:
The TransPecos wrote:Whatever you may think of Murray, he isn't the only one or the only company doing this. I understand that several companies have announced closures or moves to China because of rising regulatory issues and mandated costs. Locally most (and eventually all?) restaurants are putting everyone on part time so they can avoid health care and other benefits costs.


Here's a fun game. Link me 10 anti-business regulations Obama has passed. Him being such a fucking anti-business communist this ought be easy. Feel free. Obamacare only counts as one.



OK. Let's go. Remember this is about current and rising costs and resultant moving, not whether you think these are good, bad, or indifferent regulations or mandates.

1. Obamacare. You're cheating by calling Obamacare just one because it both phased and contains multiple mandates.
2. CFL lamps are all made in China because of both cheap labor and no evironmental restictions on use of mercury.
3. GM is moving to China. That's a huge market and there are few regulations on auto building activities. GM isn't alone, think everything from toys to diesel engines. (Oh yeah, GM is Government Motors Corp., right?)
4. EPA regulatory processes (e.g. exhaust scrubbing, ozone, etc.) are chaotic and in utter confusion. The electricity generating industry simply doesn't know where to turn. The proposed clean air standards can't be achieved where I live simply because the wind blows (or Texas sucks, take your choice).
5. General bureaucratic delays in rule making. In the pipeline are over 4000 rules that will hit in the next few years, assumimg thet things go even reasonably smoothly. Companies of any size have complete departments that attempt to stay current on regulatory issues.
6. Tier 3 fuel standands will cost the economy about 8 billion dollars. Tier 4 diesel emission requirements will have a lesser but significant effect.

Looking to the future, let's pick some under review by the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs. (Google OIRA for more details.)

7. New refinery standards, Estimated impact is 460 million dollars. When was the last refinery built in the USA?
8. Vehicle rear view cameras. Estimated impact is 2.7 billion dollars. What is the benefit that is worth that sum of money?
9. Refrigerator Energy Standards. Estimated impact is 875 million dollars.
10. Crystalline silica. Estimated impact is 55 billion dollars. Multiple building stand vacant in and are and economic burden to my city because they contain asbestos and no one will touch them. Silica is everywhere!

We could go on but what's the point. You know and I know that there is a manufacturing flight from the USA. Where possible, service industries (e.g. call centers) have and are fleeing. The equivalent economic action is about to take place in those service and other industries that can't flee.

You just have to face up to the fact and look at the causes. Look at economic growth, look at imports from China, India, and other countries. Look at our national debt. Look at our foreign creditors. They all point to the same fundamental fact; the USA is not the best place, and often is not even a good place, to do business and one main reason is rising regulatory issues and mandated costs

User avatar
Minnysota
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6395
Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 pm

The TransPecos wrote:*snip*


So outside of EPA regulations and Obamacare, you came up with jobs going overseas? Right, because Obama totally has the power to not only stop that, but to overpower the extremely pro-corporation Republicans in the House if he wanted to stop that.

The rest of them you're ignoring the fact that there are likely government incentives to go forward with these new rules or you're just flat out ignoring the future benefits of said programs. So... I count two legitimate anti-business points you bring up. That number is sketchy itself because I'm not currently aware of the power Obama has over the EPA's regulatory policies.
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

User avatar
Wintersun
Diplomat
 
Posts: 559
Founded: Nov 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wintersun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Instances like these are when you simply nationalize the company and accuse the owner of blackmail and/or treason seeing as he increased the unemployment rate, thus sabotaging the nation's economy, simply to try to get his way politically. Stupidity is legal, but stupidity on this level should not go unpunished.

User avatar
Hippostania
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8826
Founded: Nov 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hippostania » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Elections have consequences, and the consequences of Obama's re-election are decreased standarda of living, increased regulations and huge lay-offs. Don't say that the Republicans didn't warn you about this.. But oh well, you reap what you sow.
Factbook - New Embassy Program
Economic Right: 10.00 - Social Authoritarian: 2.87 - Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 9.54 - Cultural Liberal: -1.14
For: market liberalism, capitalism, eurofederalism, neoconservatism, British unionism, atlanticism, LGB rights, abortion rights, Greater Israel, Pan-Western federalism, NATO, USA, EU
Against: communism, socialism, anarchism, eurosceptism, agrarianism, Swiss/Irish/Scottish/Welsh independence, cultural relativism, all things Russian, aboriginal/native American special rights

Hippo's Political Party Rankings (updated 21/7/2013)

User avatar
Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8319
Founded: Dec 06, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 pm

The TransPecos wrote:3. GM is moving to China.

Uh... no. GM is doing business in China, a lot of it in fact. Chinese love American cars. GM can and will expand its operations in the US and China simultaneously.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!


A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

User avatar
New Rogernomics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9012
Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Hate to rip into the founder cult (well not really :P ) but the founders weren't against a welfare state, instead an all controlling one; not to mention that slavery goes against invividual liberty.

Even the 1900s-50s had big gang problems, robber barons and monopolies. So I don't get how the free market promised land the coal boss is ranting about is 'being ruined', when it never existed. xD
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holds silly opinions on some things, and likes animals of all kinds, including the scary ones.
Pro: Individualism, Humanism, Human Rights, Internationalism & Free Markets, Democracy, Decentralization, and Treaty of Sèvres.
Against: Social Conservatism, Religious Extremism, Extreme Nationalism, Racism, Homophobia, Authoritarianism.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aggicificicerous, Andsed, Auze, Bogan Laker, Dresderstan, Ethel mermania, Exabot [Bot], Free Arabian Nation, Google [Bot], Gothenmark, Gravlen, Imperializt Russia, Kawagishi, North German Realm, Ostroeuropa, Petrolheadia, Phoenicaea, Sahansahiye Iran, The Grims, Uiiop, Vassenor, Western Vale Confederacy, Xin Zhong Guo, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads