NATION

PASSWORD

Do you believe in the Theory of Evolution?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe in the Theory of Evolution?

Yes
84%
No
10%
Maybe
6%

Total votes : 788

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Nidaria wrote:You have not penetrated the surface of the depths of fear.

Once again, I know no fear.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:There's a certain honesty in it that we don't see in Intelligent Design or any other attempt to dress up creationism in a lab coat. And the consequences here are real, I suppose: people will feel insignificant if they can't believe that the universe was created by a benevolent deity just for them. ID and the like is just people going, "Nuh-UH! Is not, is not, is not!"

I dont get how people will feel insignificant due to evolution.
"My grandfathers fought for their damn survival and win that battle against millions of others like them trying to do the same to be dominating force in universe" VS "Oh, ya someone flicked their finger and you were created."

No, see, the theist position is more like, "It's okay, don't worry, when things look bleak just remember that God loves you and has a plan for you and made this whole wonderful universe for you. Do the best you can, always apologize for sinning and when you die, you'll get your reward."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Nidaria wrote:Moral according to whom?

Was that a confession of morality not being absolute, from Nidaria himself? :o

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

Self pwnage is so sweet.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Tennantdom
Civilian

Founded: Oct 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tennantdom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Self pwnage is so sweet.

There once was a man in China, that sold shields and spears. Holding a spear in one hand, he claimed it could pierce through any shield. Holding a shield in the other, he claimed it could withstand any pierce.

What happens when they both collide?

Both are destroyed.

Nidaria
Senator

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:

No, because it can be incorrect depending on the source, ranging from oneself to society. The absolute standard is God.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic 25%
Secular/Fundamentalist 67%
Visionary/Reactionary 21%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian 6%
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%
Ecological/Anthropocentric 52%

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

No, because it can be incorrect depending on the source, ranging from oneself to society. The absolute standard is God.

Nice backtrack, but that's not what the implications of your earlier quote are.

But this point, however, is still wrong. There is no absolute standard.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Well then, from where do you get your morality, given that God is unknowable.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:There's a certain honesty in it that we don't see in Intelligent Design or any other attempt to dress up creationism in a lab coat. And the consequences here are real, I suppose: people will feel insignificant if they can't believe that the universe was created by a benevolent deity just for them. ID and the like is just people going, "Nuh-UH! Is not, is not, is not!"

The reverse could be said for atheists. The fact that an omnipotent entity who would punish them eternally for leading an immoral life is frightening to some.

most would say just the opposite, if there are gods then they has to justify to US why they are so immoral.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Which God? If you admit to there being one, you have to admit to there being many. The Old Testament does. The New Testament implies it in the casting out of demons, for what demons if not supernatural creatures like God? But this is outside the subject of the this thread, and I'll not threadjack.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Self pwnage is so sweet.

There once was a man in China, that sold shields and spears. Holding a spear in one hand, he claimed it could pierce through any shield. Holding a shield in the other, he claimed it could withstand any pierce.

What happens when they both collide?

Both are destroyed.

so he lied
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Nidaria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Nidaria wrote:No, because it can be incorrect depending on the source, ranging from oneself to society. The absolute standard is God.

No, because if the "morality" came from anywhere except God there is a chance of it being wrong.
Yes, there is an absolute standard. Denying it does not mean it does not exist.
"He who denies the existence of God has some reason for wishing that God did not exist." --St. Augustine
"There is only one difference between genius and stupidity: genius has limits." --Albert Einstein
"When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties... they lead their country by a short route to chaos." --St. Thomas More
Anti-gay, Pro-life, Traditionalist, Libertarian, Non-interventionist, Loyal Roman Catholic
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:
Atheism leads to immortality? Win.

That said , the bolded is completely untrue beyond the bit where it makes humans no longer special.Reshaping our enviroment to suit us, including extinction of species is not inherently a bad thing, it all depends on the species's usefulness to us.

only if you think humans are all that matters.

Perhaps so, and I do (or rather, I attach a lot more weight to humans and their needs than to any other part of the ecosystem) but this isn't something that follows from religion, or the lack of it (I'm atheist, for reference). And of course there's plenty of religious people who interpret being given custody of nature as involving protection. Anyways such strawmen are just doing the central point a disservice. Theory of evolution is right because of the evidence for it which it does best job to explain, regardless of what it implies.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Funny, I behave morally without the threat of divine punishment.

Moral according to whom? Also, there are other factors than just that.

Morality is relative to the self and society. I could call myself moral but society could consider me immoral. I could call my actions immoral and society consider myself within norm. But in the end, morality just depends on the people around you. And what other factors? You said an omniscient entity who punishes for immorality. What other factors are there?

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Nidaria wrote:You have not penetrated the surface of the depths of fear.

Fear is for the weak.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Nidaria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Nidaria » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nidaria wrote:No, because it can be incorrect depending on the source, ranging from oneself to society. The absolute standard is God.

Which God? If you admit to there being one, you have to admit to there being many. The Old Testament does. The New Testament implies it in the casting out of demons, for what demons if not supernatural creatures like God?1 But this is outside the subject of the this thread, and I'll not threadjack.2

1The Bible says there is only one God, the omnipotent Creator of the universe/multiverse. There are other supernatural beings, yes, but they are not immortal, and they certainly did not create the universe/multiverse, and they were created by God.

2Agreed, back on topic.
Last edited by Nidaria on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Communist/Capitalist 41%
Pacifist/Militaristic 7%

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Which God? If you admit to there being one, you have to admit to there being many. The Old Testament does. The New Testament implies it in the casting out of demons, for what demons if not supernatural creatures like God?1 But this is outside the subject of the this thread, and I'll not threadjack.2

1The Bible says there is only one God, the omnipotent Creator of the universe/multiverse. There are other supernatural beings, yes, but they are not immortal, and they certainly did not create the universe/multiverse, and they were created by God.

2Agreed, back on topic.

The Bible is a good source.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Enadail
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Enadail » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Nidaria wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

No, because if the "morality" came from anywhere except God there is a chance of it being wrong.
Yes, there is an absolute standard. Denying it does not mean it does not exist.

But to claim it exists requires you demonstrate it exists. You can't prove a negative. You're claiming there's an absolute morality: how do you know? Show us. And which God? Why that one? Not another one?

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:only if you think humans are all that matters.

Perhaps so, and I do (or rather, I attach a lot more weight to humans and their needs than to any other part of the ecosystem)

But that means above a certain level environmental destruction is no longer acceptable just for human benefit.

but this isn't something that follows from religion, or the lack of it (I'm atheist, for reference). And of course there's plenty of religious people who interpret being given custody of nature as involving protection. Anyways such strawmen are just doing the central point a disservice. Theory of evolution is right because of the evidence for it which it does best job to explain, regardless of what it implies.

to paraphrase a fictitious doctor.
"If evidence and reason worked on religious people, There would be no religious people."

Furious Grandmothers
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Furious Grandmothers » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Nidaria wrote:1The Bible says there is only one God, the omnipotent Creator of the universe/multiverse. There are other supernatural beings, yes, but they are not immortal, and they certainly did not create the universe/multiverse, and they were created by God.

2Agreed, back on topic.

As far as the bible defines its own measure of "good" *nods*
Code: Select all

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Nidaria wrote:1The Bible says there is only one God, the omnipotent Creator of the universe/multiverse. There are other supernatural beings, yes, but they are not immortal, and they certainly did not create the universe/multiverse, and they were created by God.

2Agreed, back on topic.

Of kindling, vice, and iniquity, yes.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:

Fear is for the weak.

fine go ahead slap the tyrannosaur.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Straughn wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:The Bible is a good source.

Of kindling, vice, and iniquity, yes.

Bible is good for a snack, being an atheist, I enjoy a fetus and bible sandwich whenever possible.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Frisivisia wrote:

2Agreed, back on topic.

of what?
certainly not morality or history.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General