NATION

PASSWORD

For Science!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Norsklow wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:
I disagree, it's when you push the people too far and someone snaps back out of fear of punishment.
Hit your dog every single day. I guarantee you one day he'll bite you, and once he's done that, he'll be so shit scared of what you'll do to him for biting you he'll straight up try to murder you.
By letting people know that any further action cannot possibly give further punishment, you legalize EVERYTHING.
If mass protest = death, you have just made it legal for mass protestors to do WHATEVER they like. You cannot punish them further

How many mass protests were there under Stalin?

Stalin wasn't insane enough to make it known that the smallest infraction resulted in an instant death sentence.
If someone jaywalks and realizes part way through their life is forfeit, they have no reason any longer to obey any laws, and will become in effect an outlaw/rebel.
It's knowledge of outlaw status that causes mass protest, not the outlaw status itself
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Norsklow
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Norsklow » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Norsklow wrote:
How many mass protests were there under Stalin?

Stalin wasn't insane enough to make it known that the smallest infraction resulted in an instant death sentence.
If someone jaywalks and realizes part way through their life is forfeit, they have no reason any longer to obey any laws, and will become in effect an outlaw/rebel.
It's knowledge of outlaw status that causes mass protest, not the outlaw status itself

Protest happens if and when there is a belief that you can get away with it. But that is a hypothesis.
We could test it in the name of Science.
Joseph Stalin, 20 million plus dead -Mao-Tse-Dong, 40 million plus dead - Pol Pot, 2 million dead -Kim-Il-Sung, 5 million dead - Fidel Castro, 1 million dead.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing"

Don't call me Beny! Am I your Father or something? http://paanluelwel2011.wordpress.com/20 ... honorable/
And I way too young to be Beny bith.
NationStates: Because FOX is for douchebags.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I fap. For science!

its not true unless there are pictures
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Norstal wrote:Because real science is boring.
THAT is bitch talk. How dare you. You're making me turn the bill around on my cap and pulling off my wife-beater top.

Straughn
Senator

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:56 pm

New Sindo wrote:
United Fallcrest wrote:I would like to cut open Obama and see if he has a soul. Cause he don't care about America...

What do you mean? He does care about America!

*note their flag*

Straughn
Senator

Postby Straughn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I fap. For science!

This. Is. Truest. Essence. Of. Goddess.

even better a eschatological conundrum than that cat and the peanut butter~

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
i think we had a city councilman who was a satanist

Really?

[url]http//en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Halloran#section_4[/url]

no i got it wrong he is a theodonist.
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:55 am

United Fallcrest wrote:I would like to cut open Obama and see if he has a soul. Cause he don't care about America...

Please tell me you're joking.

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Norsklow wrote:
Yi kow tow, erh kow tow, san kow tow.

Revolutions happen when the Iron Fist is relaxed.

I disagree, it's when you push the people too far and someone snaps back out of fear of punishment.
Hit your dog every single day. I guarantee you one day he'll bite you, and once he's done that, he'll be so shit scared of what you'll do to him for biting you he'll straight up try to murder you.

I can verify this from my own personal experience. No, I didn't beat a dog.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:23 am

Shave with my left hand holding the razor, drink from a pitcher of beer from my right, and masturbate with my feet.. all at the same time.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 am

Determine how to best optimize a passive/semi-active damper scheme using magnetorheologic dampers, accelerometers and an electronic control system in order to reduce the amount of energy dissipated within a building's structural frame in order to reduce both seismic damage and the required amount of time for the building to be fully operational again.

Er, I mean, dip dry ice into water.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 am

Straughn wrote:
Norstal wrote:Because real science is boring.
THAT is bitch talk. How dare you. You're making me turn the bill around on my cap and pulling off my wife-beater top.

Not sure if serious or not. Finding the unknown frequency of a Lizzajous figure and comparing it with the other method of finding unknown frequencies is not something most people find fun.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Crogach
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Crogach » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Norstal wrote:
Straughn wrote:THAT is bitch talk. How dare you. You're making me turn the bill around on my cap and pulling off my wife-beater top.

Not sure if serious or not. Finding the unknown frequency of a Lizzajous figure and comparing it with the other method of finding unknown frequencies is not something most people find fun.

No, but certain forms of recreational chemical syntheses are (particularly the ones that result in loud bangs and bright colors).

The American Nuclear Fallout Zone
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The American Nuclear Fallout Zone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm conducting a social experiment. I'm going to change the name of my wifi network to "FBI Surveillance Van" and see what the people in my neighborhood do. Maybe they'll become noticeably paranoid... >_>
HAIL WOTAN!

Generation 26 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

NS-Tracker Page: http://www.nstracker.net/the_american_n ... llout_zone

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Norstal wrote:
Straughn wrote:THAT is bitch talk. How dare you. You're making me turn the bill around on my cap and pulling off my wife-beater top.

http://xkcd.com/683/

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 pm

The American Nuclear Fallout Zone wrote:I'm conducting a social experiment. I'm going to change the name of my wifi network to "FBI Surveillance Van" and see what the people in my neighborhood do. Maybe they'll become noticeably paranoid... >_>

Or they are just smoking some pot. Either way.

The American Nuclear Fallout Zone
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The American Nuclear Fallout Zone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
The American Nuclear Fallout Zone wrote:I'm conducting a social experiment. I'm going to change the name of my wifi network to "FBI Surveillance Van" and see what the people in my neighborhood do. Maybe they'll become noticeably paranoid... >_>

Or that.
HAIL WOTAN!

Generation 26 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

NS-Tracker Page: http://www.nstracker.net/the_american_n ... llout_zone

Straughn
Senator

Postby Straughn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:06 am

The American Nuclear Fallout Zone wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:

Or that.

Gonna be pretty popular, boy howdy.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 am

Mike the Progressive wrote:Shave with my left hand holding the razor, drink from a pitcher of beer from my right, and masturbate with my feet.. all at the same time.

Everyone does that on Tuesday nights.

Serious: I'd like to donate my right ankle to science to find out why it cracks everytime i move it.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Apes in chainmail riding tyrannosaurs
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Apes in chainmail riding tyrannosaurs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 pm

HUMAN ANIMAL HYBRIDS

Straughn
Senator

Postby Straughn » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Qazox wrote:Serious: I'd like to donate my right ankle to science to find out why it cracks everytime i move it.

Started as an adolescent injury (perhaps slightly before that) and has been exacerbated over time and driving.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:31 pm

Meh, my mother's roommate beat you to the punch. He named our wifi as an abortion clinic. And we live in the heart of the Bible Belt. We're waiting on a reaction, currently.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 pm

Grenartia wrote:

Meh, my mother's roommate beat you to the punch. He named our wifi as an abortion clinic. And we live in the heart of the Bible Belt. We're waiting on a reaction, currently.

:rofl: Please do, that sounds hilarious.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Blaat
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

For science!

Postby Blaat » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 pm

Introduction
In the following experiment we'll measure the mod response time (MRT).

Materials and Methods
What we'll do is the following.

-We'll find a suitably old thread
-We post in it
-We measure the timestamp of the gravedigging post
-We observe when a mod locks it and measure that timestamp as well
-We calculate the difference between the two timestamps
-Afterwards we'll discuss the MRT and draw conclusions from it

Results
1. posted first post at 8:37 AM CET

Discussion
To be done yet. First gather all the results

Conclusion
Also still to be done yet
Last edited by Blaat on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dear Leader Kim Jong-Un
Attaché

Founded: Mar 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dear Leader Kim Jong-Un » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:16 am

Blaat wrote:Introduction
In the following experiment we'll measure the mod response time (MRT).

Materials and Methods
What we'll do is the following.

-We'll find a suitably old thread
-We post in it
-We measure the timestamp of the gravedigging post
-We observe when a mod locks it and measure that timestamp as well
-We calculate the difference between the two timestamps
-Afterwards we'll discuss the MRT and draw conclusions from it

Results
1. posted first post at 8:37 AM CET

Discussion
To be done yet. First gather all the results

Conclusion
Also still to be done yet

you know this is wrong, right?
inb4 close and snarky remark

Viritica
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Viritica » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:33 am

Air lifting thousands of tons of dry ice into the ocean.
Empire of Viritica (PMT) · Factbook (Incomplete)
Hamas started this after all
NSG's Resident KKKoch Rethuglican Shill
Watch Mark Levin shred Jon Stewart
The Jewish Reich is upon us

Conservative Atheist, Pro-Choice, Pro-LGBT rights, Pro-Israel, Zionist, Anti-UN

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General