NATION

PASSWORD

NSG's Religious Census

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What religion are you?

Judaism
2%
Christianity
34%
Islam
4%
Hinduism
1%
Buddhism
2%
Shinto
1%
Paganism (Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, etc.)
4%
Atheist
32%
Agnostic
12%
Other
8%

Total votes : 936

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
No, but I'm fairly sure based on archaeology that human sacrifice was seen as dirty work to appease the gods. I'm sure no Aztec dad was proud if his son was to be sacrificed, because I'm so no parent, at ANY TIME IN HISTORY, ever wanted to see their child die before they did.

Because you were there 4,000 years ago. Point is you have no clue what civilization was like before you, unless you have a time machine.
You can repeatedly say, "Archaelogist analyzed this building and hypothesize this is what happened," but you won't be able to prove it until you see it for yourself, because some hypothesis are wrong,

Except for yours amirite.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
No, but I'm fairly sure based on archaeology that human sacrifice was seen as dirty work to appease the gods. I'm sure no Aztec dad was proud if his son was to be sacrificed, because I'm so no parent, at ANY TIME IN HISTORY, ever wanted to see their child die before they did.

Because you were there 4,000 years ago. Point is you have no clue what civilization was like before you, unless you have a time machine.
You can repeatedly say, "Archaelogist analyzed this building and hypothesize this is what happened," but you won't be able to prove it until you see it for yourself, because some hypothesis are wrong,

This feels like those threads were that guy argued that George Washington didn't exist.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

"We COULD be wrong, therefore we ARE wrong." Seems legit. Image
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

South Cvandia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby South Cvandia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:38 pm

The De Danann Nation wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
They worship Christ. They are Christians. :palm:

I couldn't agree more.It always bugs me when people say they aren't.Christians worship Jeebus,so Mormons are Christians.

Amen Thank the lord Jeebus! xD. I tried to make this point yesterday and got bombarded.
REDCON 1 - Armies Mobilized - Full War
Operation Savior - IN PROGRESS
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 64_eng.jpg

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
then why do you keep asking?

Read through the ENTIRE discussion, instead of reading that one single post.

i read the last two pages, requiring more would be a violation of my constitional rights against cruel and unusual punishment.

taking something on faith by definition does not require evidence. your asking something a beliver sees no rrquiremnt to produce.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Read through the ENTIRE discussion, instead of reading that one single post.

i read the last two pages, requiring more would be a violation of my constitional rights against cruel and unusual punishment.

taking something on faith by definition does not require evidence. your asking something a beliver sees no rrquiremnt to produce.

Idk man. The other guy said that the reason Christians in the 1500s did slavery was to honor your god.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:40 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:i read the last two pages, requiring more would be a violation of my constitional rights against cruel and unusual punishment.

:palm:

>I said that it doesn't have evidence.
>He said it did.
>I asked for it.
>He didn't provide it.
>I asked again.

If what you say is true, he would have just said, "You're right, I don't have any, it's based on faith."

Even then, it was a misunderstanding in the end, so there's no point in this discussion.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Lost heros wrote:They would be honoring their gods and be doing a 'good thing'

Why is honoring a god a good thing? With all respects to Chaos, I do not wish to spill my blood my blood simply to appease the Blood God's hunger.

I don't know why, but why wouldn't you want a super powerful being happy? They could have been told, "You are being sacrificed, so the god of the river will make sure the river floods so we can have another year of a bentiful harvest. Thank you, for doing this for us."
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Vitius
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitius » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros wrote:2. You're being very pessimistic in your views of religion, considering it was one of the factors that lead to various first civilizations.

What does this have to do with the validity of religion?

I don't think anyone here is exactly trying to write that a deity is valid. I'm pretty late to the argument, but it seems like they're trying to defend themselves against a barrage of hateful comments written by yourself.

To be honest, it just seems completely illogical, idiotic, useless and irrelevant to the topic you're trying to discuss to position yourself a subject that doesn't exist to you. It'd be like me debating about a hurricane killing 200 people in Minnesota last year. It never happened, at least not to me, so why should I continually assault those that believe that it did indeed happen?

I've met some really arrogant, disrespectful and rude theists throughout the years, though it pains me even more that I've met some atheist and agnostic jackasses. You choose not to believe it, okay. It's completely fair to fight against a law like the law in Arkansas that prohibits atheists from holding public offices, but really, you favor going around and just trolling people because you think you know what's right? It's sad, really.

I don't expect this message to mean anything to you, but maybe, just maybe, it'll send a message that what you're doing is just as hypocritical as a theist slamming religion down someone's throat.
Bambi Praxis wrote:
4years wrote:Hitler was worse, but I hate stalin more.

Maintain the rage! Spell the bastard's name without a capital letter, that will settle the score!
Proud Reform Jew

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Norstal wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Idk man. The other guy said that the reason Christians in the 1500s did slavery was to honor your god.

I didn't say anything near to that.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Vitius wrote:I don't think anyone here is exactly trying to write that a deity is valid. I'm pretty late to the argument, but it seems like they're trying to defend themselves against a barrage of hateful comments written by yourself.

That's nice.
Vitius wrote:To be honest, it just seems completely illogical, idiotic, useless and irrelevant to the topic you're trying to discuss to position yourself a subject that doesn't exist to you. It'd be like me debating about a hurricane killing 200 people in Minnesota last year. It never happened, at least not to me, so why should I continually assault those that believe that it did indeed happen?

This is a debate forum.
Vitius wrote:I've met some really arrogant, disrespectful and rude theists throughout the years, though it pains me even more that I've met some atheist and agnostic jackasses. You choose not to believe it, okay. It's completely fair to fight against a law like the law in Arkansas that prohibits atheists from holding public offices, but really, you favor going around and just trolling people because you think you know what's right? It's sad, really.

THIS IS A DEBATE FORUM.
Vitius wrote:I don't expect this message to mean anything to you, but maybe, just maybe, it'll send a message that what you're doing is just as hypocritical as a theist slamming religion down someone's throat.

THIS IS A DEBATE FORUM.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Norstal wrote:Idk man. The other guy said that the reason Christians in the 1500s did slavery was to honor your god.

I didn't say anything near to that.

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
So slavery wasn't bad back in the 1800s, before they abolished it?

No, obviously the slaves ENJOYED being whipped and beaten. Obviously they CRAVED it. I mean, why else would we endorse slavery back then other than because IT WASN'T BAD BACK THEN.

The amount of face-palm in this post is just... Just...

I'm sorry. You know all, obviously! It is impossible that early humans could have thought it as an honor to be given to their gods.

Don't know how to read that in any other way.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Norstal wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Because you were there 4,000 years ago. Point is you have no clue what civilization was like before you, unless you have a time machine.

Except for yours amirite.

I didn't say mine were wrong.
If you read through my posts you'll realize I say I don't know or could or possibly. I never said mine are right. I said I believe mine are right. You may believe differently, but stop telling me that I am wrong without a doubt.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Norstal wrote:
Lost heros wrote:I didn't say anything near to that.

Lost heros wrote:I'm sorry. You know all, obviously! It is impossible that early humans could have thought it as an honor to be given to their gods.

Don't know how to read that in any other way.

I didn't mention Christians, slavery, or the 1500s.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Because you were there 4,000 years ago. Point is you have no clue what civilization was like before you, unless you have a time machine.

This feels like those threads were that guy argued that George Washington didn't exist.

One difference is Karin was saying without a doubt if Jesus existed, George Washington existed. I am saying this is the possibility that I believe to be true, and here is why.

Cancerous Conservatism
Attaché

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cancerous Conservatism » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm Roman Catholic and proud of it.
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."-THE Cancerous Conservatism
Neoconservative in Every Way

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:48 pm

Cancerous Conservatism wrote:I'm Roman Catholic and proud of it.

Same here but i disagree with your political views.
RP information: I don't use NS tracker unless asked too, I usually go with 5% of the population.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:49 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Imagine two Homo Erecti walking down a path. They see the stripes and don't know what it is.
God tells one of them, "Hey dude don't walk that way. You'll die." That one doesn't walk, and since god didn't tell the other one not to walk he goes off and dies, while the other doesn't.

Good, now provide evidence for God so your hypothesis can actually be taken seriously. Image

You didn't provide evidence for your hypothetical either.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Why is honoring a god a good thing? With all respects to Chaos, I do not wish to spill my blood my blood simply to appease the Blood God's hunger.

I don't know why, but why wouldn't you want a super powerful being happy? They could have been told, "You are being sacrificed, so the god of the river will make sure the river floods so we can have another year of a bentiful harvest. Thank you, for doing this for us."

And this is good for the individual being sacrificed how?
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Cancerous Conservatism
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Cancerous Conservatism » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Vortropolis wrote:
Cancerous Conservatism wrote:I'm Roman Catholic and proud of it.

Wow. Did you read the bottom of my flag?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Good, now provide evidence for God so your hypothesis can actually be taken seriously. Image

You didn't provide evidence for your hypothetical either.

It's a HYPOTHESIS based off of established theories. We have INSURMOUNTABLE evidence of how natural selection works. Naturally, we can then explain how a specific trait of humans arose. That's how evolutionary science works when formulating hypothesis explaining human traits. Yours, however, is based off something that has no evidence. I'm asking for evidence for God, which you based your hypothesis on, not evidence for your hypothesis itself.

Vortropolis
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortropolis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Cancerous Conservatism wrote:
Vortropolis wrote:

No i just saw in big letters ''FORWARD'' and it drew my eyes to it. (Edit: I just read the bottom of your flag :lol: )
Last edited by Vortropolis on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RP information: I don't use NS tracker unless asked too, I usually go with 5% of the population.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Why is honoring a god a good thing? With all respects to Chaos, I do not wish to spill my blood my blood simply to appease the Blood God's hunger.

So, basically, people were idiots back then because they swallowed that bullshit and died for no reason.

I mean, because obviously rivers flood due to a holy presence. It's not like there's no scientific explanation for that or anything.

Stop passing off stuff just because people were ignorant.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Cancerous Conservatism
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Cancerous Conservatism » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Vortropolis wrote:

No i just saw in big letters ''FORWARD'' and it drew my eyes to it. (Edit: I just read the bottom of your flag :lol: )

Blahahaha :rofl: . I am probably one of the most conservative guys you will ever meet.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Vortropolis wrote:

Blahahaha :rofl: . I am probably one of the most conservative guys you will ever meet.

At least your conservatism is tasteful. Lot of conservative ignoramuses on here. Makes me sad.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General