NATION

PASSWORD

NSG's Religious Census

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What religion are you?

Judaism
2%
Christianity
34%
Islam
4%
Hinduism
1%
Buddhism
2%
Shinto
1%
Paganism (Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, etc.)
4%
Atheist
32%
Agnostic
12%
Other
8%

Total votes : 936

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 pm

4years wrote:
Lost heros wrote:So you believe that a if a god existed he would be a dictator like being that would force us to do stuff with no free will.
Weird, I don't feel forced to do anything.

Look, if an all-knowing all-powerful god was to create an universe the other beings in that universe would have no free will as the god that brought them into existence would have know their every act before they existed and would have choosen that particular set of actions to take place in creation by the particular circumstances that god created the universe in.

Why can't we be created with free-will and have God help us when he believes we need it.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Gaveo wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:
:clap:

Victory is ours, my brothers.

:clap:

It's like you won the fucking World War II or some shit.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Lost heros wrote:Who says religion can't coexist with science? That religion can't change to include the discoveries of science?

Because supposedly God is all knowing. How can He be wrong?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:
Look, if an all-knowing all-powerful god was to create an universe the other beings in that universe would have no free will as the god that brought them into existence would have know their every act before they existed and would have choosen that particular set of actions to take place in creation by the particular circumstances that god created the universe in.

Why can't we be created with free-will and have God help us when he believes we need it.

So God is not omnipotent?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:
1. Yes, if people stop beleiving in god(s) maybe they will do somthing worthwhile in this world.
Helen Keller has a pretty good quote on the subject: It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.-Helen Keller

2. I happend to be part of the race of hairless apes and live on the tiny speck of in a random galaxy in a random universe. So I want the hairless apes to prosper and the tiny speck of dust to be a pleasant speck.

So if I believe in God I can't be worthwhile? Sorry, I'll go throw myself off a cliff, it wasn't like I was studying to be a cardiovascular surgeon or anything important that could save other's lives.

I did not say that you were not worthwhile, just that you would be more so if you diched the god. Religion just leads to religous wars, terrorrism, denial of science , and repressive social/poltical policies. Supporting it is obviously not worthwhile.
Last edited by 4years on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Agymnum wrote:I'd rather be among the intelligent minority than among the stupid masses.

Go elitism.

As much as I dislike religion, I would still like to see respect offered to the religious.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:

So then God isn't truly omnipotent, because if he was he'd know our every action and thus free will would be irrelevant since he'd have our entire lives memorized before they even occurred.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:

Ain't free will if he "helps us when he believes we need it" anymore is it?

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Norstal wrote:
Gaveo wrote: :clap:

In NS Christians out numbering Atheists is something... But to be honest its all in good fun. :p
Bruh.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Agymnum wrote:I'd rather be among the intelligent minority than among the stupid masses.

Go elitism.

As much as I dislike religion, I would still like to see respect offered to the religious.

I offer no respect to people who waste their time pursuing something not even proven to be true.

Would you respect a man who wasted away his days bowing down to a pony, or a golden ox?

4years
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:

:palm:
So god is not all-knowing? or god is not the creator, he/she/it just happens to exist near us?
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Gaveo wrote:
Norstal wrote:It's like you won the fucking World War II or some shit.

In NS Christians out numbering Atheists is something... But to be honest its all in good fun. :p

How do you outnumber Atheists? WHY are you people IGNORING the agnostics?

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Gaveo wrote:In NS Christians out numbering Atheists is something... But to be honest its all in good fun. :p

Because we are ignorant... :unsure:
Bruh.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Gaveo wrote:In NS Christians out numbering Atheists is something... But to be honest its all in good fun. :p

Well, technically, agnosticism still acknowledges that a higher deity might exist, it's just not proven.

Atheism flat-out rejects the idea of a higher deity until it's proven.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Agymnum wrote:I offer no respect to people who waste their time pursuing something not even proven to be true.

Would you respect a man who wasted away his days bowing down to a pony, or a golden ox?

I would be critical of the act of course, as I am critical of any superstitious beliefs, but I would still certainly respect their right to practice such views and I would not resort to name-calling if debating them on the matter.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

4years
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:As much as I dislike religion, I would still like to see respect offered to the religious.

I offer no respect to people who waste their time pursuing something not even proven to be true.

:evil:
Respect the kitten gods. http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/ ... 642179.jpg
-Rosa Luxemburg

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Agymnum wrote:I offer no respect to people who waste their time pursuing something not even proven to be true.

I would be critical of the act of course, as I am critical of any superstitious beliefs, but I would still certainly respect their right to practice such views and I would not resort to name-calling if debating them on the matter.

You are a far more tolerant man than me.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Norstal wrote:
Gaveo wrote: :clap:

Sigged

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:So you wish to remove many people's hopes.

But what is humanity other than a bunch of hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe

So what if we're a bunch of hairless apes on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe?

Does a lion simply give up living because it is just a glorified cat on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe?

Does a cockroach? Does a dog?

Why is it so important for you that a higher deity care that you exist? Can you not have purpose of your own accord? Must you be a slave?

From the Mormon perspective, it is a rather random universe.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

South Cvandia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby South Cvandia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Threlizdun wrote:

You must have misread his statement then. Because he says he has no respect for the individual, not their right to bow down and worship a flying bird-monkey-dog-cat.
REDCON 1 - Armies Mobilized - Full War
Operation Savior - IN PROGRESS
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 64_eng.jpg

Sassinia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sassinia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
You should not be proud of ignorance.

Atheism:

31%

Because 31% is more than 35%?

Majority pride 8)

Count the Agnostic.

31% + 12= 43%

Happy now? :p
আমি একজন বাঙালি
No, we aren't the Sassanids nor descendants of them.
..and no, we aren't Muslims, either.
THE KINGDOM OF SASSINIA
Head of State: King Ireni Murd
Capital City: Terz
Population: 7,000,000,000 and counting
RP Military: 31,000,000 active, 34,000,000 reserve
Tech: MT
Map
12 [3] 4 5
Increased readiness

Seres
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seres » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Vajrayana and pureland buddhist.
“Let our worries disperse like clouds in a clear blue sky. Like a thief entering an empty house, bad thoughts can do no harm to an empty mind.”- Padmasambhava
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”-c.s. lewis
cosmopolitan/nationalistic: 37%
secular/religious: 28%
visionary/reactionary: 18%
anarchistc/authoritarian: 30%
communistic/capitalistic: 54%
pacifistic/militaristic: 8%
ecological/anthropological: 48%

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 pm

South Cvandia wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:I would be critical of the act of course, as I am critical of any superstitious beliefs, but I would still certainly respect their right to practice such views and I would not resort to name-calling if debating them on the matter.

You must have misread his statement then. Because he says he has no respect for the individual, not their right to bow down and worship a flying bird-monkey-dog-cat.

Also, this.

You can do things I don't respect. I'll LET you do them. But I'm not going to respect you just because of some sort of misplaced tolerance that I HAVE to have respect for what you believe.

Whether I respect the individual is up for debate. Whether I respect the individual's rights is not, because I'm forced to by law.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:

To everyone who responded to this:
He can be omnipotent/all knowing by knowing all possible outcomes and when an outcome isn't favorable what so ever, he pushes you away from it.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Why can't we be created with free-will and have God help us when he believes we need it.

He can be omnipotent/all knowing by knowing all possible outcomes and when an outcome isn't favorable what so ever, he pushes you away from it.

What if I somehow create an outcome that even he could not predict?

In theory, would I be on God's level? If so, does that grant me permission to create a cult of personality?
Last edited by Agymnum on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Why can't we be created with free-will and have God help us when he believes we need it.

I don't think you understand what free-will is.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General