NATION

PASSWORD

NSG's Religious Census

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What religion are you?

Judaism
2%
Christianity
34%
Islam
4%
Hinduism
1%
Buddhism
2%
Shinto
1%
Paganism (Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, etc.)
4%
Atheist
32%
Agnostic
12%
Other
8%

Total votes : 936

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:
I hope that people will stop believing in god(s) without empirical evidence or even a decent theoretical arguement.

So you wish to remove many people's hopes.

Agymnum wrote:
We hope that when we die we will leave a lasting impact on humanity.

Whether it's inventing something to make people's lives better, helping the poor gain better livelihoods, or any of those things, we hope to leave a lasting impact on humanity.

But what is humanity other than a bunch of hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe

So what if we're a bunch of hairless apes on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe?

Does a lion simply give up living because it is just a glorified cat on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe?

Does a cockroach? Does a dog?

Why is it so important for you that a higher deity care that you exist? Can you not have purpose of your own accord? Must you be a slave?
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Lost heros wrote:Sorry, it isn't easy playing catch up.
What does that even mean?

Too tired to explain.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Lost heros wrote:So you wish to remove many people's hopes.
No, they wish for people to be able to enjoy life without having to resort to superstition.

Agymnum wrote:But what is humanity other than a bunch of hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe
Technically yes, we are of little significance to the rest of the universe. However, we have achieved so much in our brief existence. If you cannot find any beauty in humanity without a god, then I am truly sorry for you.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

No one's removing anything. It's painfully obvious that he means voluntarily, in which case you'd think they'd have enough sense to realize that religious hope is false hope?

Even though it may be a false hope, that doesn't deny people of believing in it. I can only think of post-mortem ways in order for it to be proven to be a false hope, and if you are correct than And it is a false hope, then I am not going to be affected by it what so ever.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Lost heros wrote:Even though it may be a false hope, that doesn't deny people of believing in it. I can only think of post-mortem ways in order for it to be proven to be a false hope, and if you are correct than And it is a false hope, then I am not going to be affected by it what so ever.

Did you... just use a thinly veiled form of Pascal's Wager?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

Whether it's inventing something to make people's lives better, helping the poor gain better livelihoods, or any of those things, we hope to leave a lasting impact on humanity.

But what is humanity other than a bunch of hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe

Quite possibly the best proof going of the sheer dogged perseverance of life.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Lost heros wrote:Your second statement pretty much answered what you don't understand in the first.
No, I admitted you find solace in your belief that a deity exists, but I did not say I understood it.
It makes it more comfortable for us, to believe we have guidance.

So desire to live in a dictatorship then, right? After all, you got plenty of guidance, and those who don't follow it are punished.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Agymnum wrote:

So what if we're a bunch of hairless apes on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe?

Does a lion simply give up living because it is just a glorified cat on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe?

Does a cockroach? Does a dog?

Why is it so important for you that a higher deity care that you exist? Can you not have purpose of your own accord? Must you be a slave?

Threlizdun wrote:
Lost heros";p="<a href="tel:11420568">11420568</a> wrote:So you wish to remove many people's hopes.
No, they wish for people to be able to enjoy life without having to resort to superstition.

Agymnum";p="<a href="tel:11420465">11420465</a> wrote:But what is humanity other than a bunch of hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe
Technically yes, we are of little significance to the rest of the universe. However, we have achieved so much in our brief existence. If you cannot find any beauty in humanity without a god, then I am truly sorry for you.

I should have put it in that those were Marv's words not mine.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:
I hope that people will stop believing in god(s) without empirical evidence or even a decent theoretical arguement.

So you wish to remove many people's hopes.

Agymnum wrote:

1. Yes, if people stop beleiving in god(s) maybe they will do somthing worthwhile in this world.
Helen Keller has a pretty good quote on the subject: It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.-Helen Keller

2. I happend to be part of the race of hairless apes and live on the tiny speck of in a random galaxy in a random universe. So I want the hairless apes to prosper and the tiny speck of dust to be a pleasant speck.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No one's removing anything. It's painfully obvious that he means voluntarily, in which case you'd think they'd have enough sense to realize that religious hope is false hope?

Even though it may be a false hope, that doesn't deny people of believing in it. I can only think of post-mortem ways in order for it to be proven to be a false hope, and if you are correct than And it is a false hope, then I am not going to be affected by it what so ever.

I dream of a day when people can actually have hope in themselves instead of latching onto ideas that are becoming increasingly obsolete via modern science and progressive viewpoints on sexual orientation, race, etc.

Until then, humanity will be forever chained. I weep for our children - that they may not see enlightenment because we in all our pomp glory are too blind to acknowledge that we are unimportant in the grand scheme of the universe. Once you acknowledge that, everything falls into place.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Christianity
35%

:clap:

Victory is ours, my brothers.
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Your second statement pretty much answered what you don't understand in the first.
No, I admitted you find solace in your belief that a deity exists, but I did not say I understood it.
It makes it more comfortable for us, to believe we have guidance.

So desire to live in a dictatorship then, right? After all, you got plenty of guidance, and those who don't follow it are punished.

So you believe that a if a god existed he would be a dictator like being that would force us to do stuff with no free will.
Weird, I don't feel forced to do anything.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Christianity
35%

Ignoring the Agnostics, are we?

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Christianity
35%

You should not be proud of ignorance.

Atheism:

31%

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Even though it may be a false hope, that doesn't deny people of believing in it. I can only think of post-mortem ways in order for it to be proven to be a false hope, and if you are correct than And it is a false hope, then I am not going to be affected by it what so ever.

Did you... just use a thinly veiled form of Pascal's Wager?

If I did, I didn't do it on purpose because I have no idea what that is.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Lost heros wrote:If I did, I didn't do it on purpose because I have no idea what that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager
She/they

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

4years wrote:

1. Yes, if people stop beleiving in god(s) maybe they will do somthing worthwhile in this world.
Helen Keller has a pretty good quote on the subject: It is wonderful how much time good people spend fighting the devil. If they would only expend the same amount of energy loving their fellow men, the devil would die in his own tracks of ennui.-Helen Keller

2. I happend to be part of the race of hairless apes and live on the tiny speck of in a random galaxy in a random universe. So I want the hairless apes to prosper and the tiny speck of dust to be a pleasant speck.

So if I believe in God I can't be worthwhile? Sorry, I'll go throw myself off a cliff, it wasn't like I was studying to be a cardiovascular surgeon or anything important that could save other's lives.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Did you... just use a thinly veiled form of Pascal's Wager?

If I did, I didn't do it on purpose because I have no idea what that is.

The worst theological argument yet.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Agymnum wrote:

I dream of a day when people can actually have hope in themselves instead of latching onto ideas that are becoming increasingly obsolete via modern science and progressive viewpoints on sexual orientation, race, etc.

Until then, humanity will be forever chained. I weep for our children - that they may not see enlightenment because we in all our pomp glory are too blind to acknowledge that we are unimportant in the grand scheme of the universe. Once you acknowledge that, everything falls into place.

Who says religion can't coexist with science? That religion can't change to include the discoveries of science?
Last edited by Lost heros on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

Atheism:

31%

Because 31% is more than 35%?

Majority pride 8)
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:No, I admitted you find solace in your belief that a deity exists, but I did not say I understood it.

So you believe that a if a god existed he would be a dictator like being that would force us to do stuff with no free will.
Weird, I don't feel forced to do anything.

Look, if an all-knowing all-powerful god was to create an universe the other beings in that universe would have no free will as the god that brought them into existence would have know their every act before they existed and would have choosen that particular set of actions to take place in creation by the particular circumstances that god created the universe in.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Srboslavija wrote:Because 31% is more than 35%?

Majority pride 8)

Last time I checked 35% was not a majority.
She/they

Gaveo
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaveo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Christianity
35%

Bruh.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Lost heros wrote:So if I believe in God I can't be worthwhile? Sorry, I'll go throw myself off a cliff, it wasn't like I was studying to be a cardiovascular surgeon or anything important that could save other's lives.

No, but if you stopped wasting time in something that hasn't been proven to exist, maybe you'd have more time for studying to be a surgeon and thus better the world.

My biggest complaint with religion is not only is it not proven to be true, but people waste so much time on it. If it's for your enjoyment, then fine, but don't treat it as if it isn't.

If it's not just for your enjoyment, and you actually take it seriously as a way to help people, then stop deluding yourself and start actually helping people.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

Atheism:

31%

Because 31% is more than 35%?

Majority pride 8)

I'd rather be among the intelligent minority than among the stupid masses.

Go elitism.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General