NATION

PASSWORD

NSG's Religious Census

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What religion are you?

Judaism
2%
Christianity
34%
Islam
4%
Hinduism
1%
Buddhism
2%
Shinto
1%
Paganism (Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, etc.)
4%
Atheist
32%
Agnostic
12%
Other
8%

Total votes : 936

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:How do you outnumber Atheists? WHY are you people IGNORING the agnostics?

Well, technically, agnosticism still acknowledges that a higher deity might exist, it's just not proven.

Atheism flat-out rejects the idea of a higher deity until it's proven.

No, atheism does not flat-out reject the idea. Atheism is the disbelief in the existence of a deity, but it does not indicate one feels certain of its nonexistence. The vast majority of atheists, myself included, are agnostic atheists. I find the idea of a deity absurd, but to claim I have absolute knowledge on the matter is even more absurd. Agnostic is incorrectly applied to this poll, as it is not a belief system unto itself. You are either an agnostic antheist or an agnostic theist. Most self-defined agnostics that do not refer to themselves as either atheists or theists are in fact agnostic atheists, as they do not believe in a deity.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:06 pm

4years wrote:
Lost heros wrote:
So if I believe in God I can't be worthwhile? Sorry, I'll go throw myself off a cliff, it wasn't like I was studying to be a cardiovascular surgeon or anything important that could save other's lives.

I did not say that you were not worthwhile, just that you would be more so if you diched the god. Religion just leads to religous wars, terrorrism, denial of science , and repressive social/poltical policies. Supporting it is obviously not worthwhile.

1. You certainly implied it
2. You're being very pessimistic in your views of religion, considering it was one of the factors that lead to various first civilizations.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Why can't we be created with free-will and have God help us when he believes we need it.

To everyone who responded to this:
He can be omnipotent/all knowing by knowing all possible outcomes and when an outcome isn't favorable what so ever, he pushes you away from it.

So you don't have free will. The entire point of my orginal post. God chooses the outcome god wants and forces you to it, no free will involved.
I certianly perfer to lose the god and keep free will rather than the other way around. Of course, if you have any evidence that a god exists I am listening...'cricket noise'..., oh.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:To everyone who responded to this:
He can be omnipotent/all knowing by knowing all possible outcomes and when an outcome isn't favorable what so ever, he pushes you away from it.

What if I somehow create an outcome that even he could not predict?

In theory, would I be on God's level? If so, does that grant me permission to create a cult of personality?

Impossible because he could know all out comes.
Norstal wrote:
Lost heros";p="<a href="tel:11420963">11420963</a> wrote:To everyone who responded to this:

I don't think you understand what free-will is.

The untampered ability to choose on your own without intervention?

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:
I did not say that you were not worthwhile, just that you would be more so if you diched the god. Religion just leads to religous wars, terrorrism, denial of science , and repressive social/poltical policies. Supporting it is obviously not worthwhile.

2. You're being very pessimistic in your views of religion, considering it was one of the factors that lead to various first civilizations.

So just because war contributes to technology, we should view it as a good thing and encourage it?

The good of religion is far less than the bad. Religion has promoted good things like hope, culture, and values of caring.

Religion has also promoted bigotry, discrimination, outright racism, anti-scientific viewpoints, backwards beliefs, etc. If anything religion has done more to destroy mankind than to build us up as an advanced people.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 pm

4years wrote:
Lost heros wrote:To everyone who responded to this:

So you don't have free will. The entire point of my orginal post. God chooses the outcome god wants and forces you to it, no free will involved.
I certianly perfer to lose the god and keep free will rather than the other way around. Of course, if you have any evidence that a god exists I am listening...'cricket noise'..., oh.

And my posts said there are billions of outcomes and god leads you away from the entirely bad ones and leaves you to chose from the rest.

Srboslavija
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Srboslavija » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Sassinia wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:
Because 31% is more than 35%?

Majority pride 8)

Count the Agnostic.

31% + 12= 43%

Happy now? :p

Agnostics are by definition fence-sitters, so it would be fairly presumptuous to assign them all to one side.

Fact is, Christians remain the single largest voting bloc and I think it's time we pushed for our own sub-forum - a space to enjoy our friendships and our Faith, free from prejudice and moderated by our mods.
Pro: #FreeCrimea, justice, peace, LGBTIQ rights, love, choice, YOLO, God, separation of church and state, hugs, equal rights, most NSG moderators
Anti: war, hypocrisy, imperialism, homophobia, guns, inequality, racism, sexism

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm

Srboslavija wrote:
Sassinia wrote:Count the Agnostic.

31% + 12= 43%

Agnostics are by definition fence-sitters, so it would be fairly presumptuous to assign them all to one side.

Fact is, Christians remain the single largest voting bloc and I think it's time we pushed for our own sub-forum - a space to enjoy our friendships and our Faith, free from prejudice and moderated by our mods.

There are boards like that. They exist on other fora. Please do feel free to use them.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:

And my posts said there are billions of outcomes and god leads you away from the entirely bad ones and leaves you to chose from the rest.

What if I want to choose the bad decision? Am I not free to?

Not free will then, is it? Free will has to allow me to make all decisions - good or bad, selfish or selfless.

Srboslavija wrote:

31% + 12= 43%

Only if the Atheists get their own sub-form as well. And the Jews, and the Buddhists, and the Muslims, etc.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Srboslavija wrote:

31% + 12= 43%

I lolled son. I lolled.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Lost heros wrote:And my posts said there are billions of outcomes and god leads you away from the entirely bad ones and leaves you to chose from the rest.

Which means you have no free will. The ability to make bad decisions is required for you to genuinly possess free will.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Norstal wrote:I don't think you understand what free-will is.

The untampered ability to choose on your own without intervention?

What do you call "when an outcome isn't favorable what so ever, he pushes you away from it"?

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Last edited by Neu California on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Lost heros wrote:
4years wrote:

1. I said you can do somthing worthwhile if you shuck the religion, I did not imply that you are not worthwhile, but that some of your actions are not worthwhile. I certainly hope that there is more to you than beleif in a specific diety.

2. You are being overly optimistic in your view and we are not in the first civilizations. Besides, religion was a negative in the first civilizations. Heard of human sacrifice?
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Norstal wrote:
Srboslavija wrote:

I lolled son. I lolled.

A Christian NSG?

That should be interesting. But the militant atheist mods like Nathi and Arch will probably deny it. *nods*
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:1. You certainly implied it

So just because war contributes to technology, we should view it as a good thing and encourage it?

The good of religion is far less than the bad. Religion has promoted good things like hope, culture, and values of caring.

Religion has also promoted bigotry, discrimination, outright racism, anti-scientific viewpoints, backwards beliefs, etc. If anything religion has done more to destroy mankind than to build us up as an advanced people.

I can't deny it hasn't done anything, but I can say that without religion the early people who didn't understand science, wouldn't have settled and produce an understanding of science, therefore religion causes science.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Norstal wrote:I lolled son. I lolled.

A Christian NSG?

That should be interesting. But the militant atheist mods like Nathi and Arch will probably deny it. *nods*

If a Christian NSG is ever made, I will create thousands of alts to troll it until it eventually gets closed and NSG returns to being non-denominational.

No lie.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Norstal wrote:I lolled son. I lolled.

A Christian NSG?

Errr Arch is Orthodox. Which, I suppose, in NSG Christians' eyes would be atheist. So yeah, I guess that makes sense.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Norstal wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:A Christian NSG?

Errr Arch is Orthodox. Which, I suppose, in NSG Christians' eyes would be atheist. So yeah, I guess that makes sense.

I was being sarcastic, especially since Nathi is Mormon.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:How do you outnumber Atheists? WHY are you people IGNORING the agnostics?

Well, technically, agnosticism still acknowledges that a higher deity might exist, it's just not proven.

That's not atheism.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:16 pm

United Methodist Christian here
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

South Cvandia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby South Cvandia » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

That's not atheism.

Yes it is. No one can know without a doubt 100% whether there is, or isn't a god (With the evidence we have today), so in theory, we are all agnostic.
REDCON 1 - Armies Mobilized - Full War
Operation Savior - IN PROGRESS
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87
http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graph ... 64_eng.jpg

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

That's not atheism.

What's the rejection of a higher deity until flat-out proven, then?

Cuz that's my category.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

I can't deny it hasn't done anything, but I can say that without religion the early people who didn't understand science, wouldn't have settled and produce an understanding of science, therefore religion causes science.

Wrong, the natural desire for knowledge and understanding of our surroundings, which is selected for by evolution causes science.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:That's not atheism.

What's the rejection of a higher deity until flat-out proven, then?

Cuz that's my category.

Atheism is the lack of belief in God/gods. Period. Agnosticism is the belief that we do not and cannot know whether a God/gods exists. They don't even deal with the same beliefs. One deals with belief in God, the other deals with belief of whether we can know or not.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General