NATION

PASSWORD

NSG's Religious Census

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What religion are you?

Judaism
2%
Christianity
34%
Islam
4%
Hinduism
1%
Buddhism
2%
Shinto
1%
Paganism (Wicca, Druidry, Asatru, etc.)
4%
Atheist
32%
Agnostic
12%
Other
8%

Total votes : 936

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:19 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:
I think he's questioning why you would believe, then?

If there's no empirical evidence for something, then believing in it is ludicrous. It would be like if someone believed that ponies could actually speak English and fly, and that they controlled the weather. No proof = No logic.

Sorry, bronies.

It is called faith.

Consider me the first convert to bronyism, then, since we've decided to flush logic down the toilet.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:
You spelled gullibility wrong.

You want to believe that life is pointless, and our pointless lives have no worth, go ahead. I'll continue to have hope.

That literally has absolutely nothing to do with hope. Not one bit.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:It is called faith.

Consider me the first convert to bronyism, then, since we've decided to flush logic down the toilet.

You are NOT the first covert. :p
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

You want to believe that life is pointless, and our pointless lives have no worth, go ahead. I'll continue to have hope.

So you believe that your desire for life to have some objective meaning has the power to alter the universe and will a being into existence?
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:It is called faith.

Ok, I won't question your beliefs, as long as you don't persecute mine.

Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros";p="<a href="tel:11420320">11420320</a> wrote:You want to believe that life is pointless, and our pointless lives have no worth, go ahead. I'll continue to have hope.

That literally has absolutely nothing to do with hope. Not one bit.

Hope there is something greater out there than I am, that wants me to do good for the benefit of others?
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Life has more point because I don't believe in an afterlife.

If God is going to bring me to heaven, why should I ever try to accomplish anything on Earth? If anything, faith promotes mediocrity. Just do enough good deeds and such to get by, and you're good when you die.

For me, this is my only life. I need to make it count. I need to make an impact on others because after I'm dead no one will remember me. I need to somehow help and reach out to people in a manner that they remember so that when I die I'll go on as an idea - as a symbol of something.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:23 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Lost heros wrote:You want to believe that life is pointless, and our pointless lives have no worth, go ahead. I'll continue to have hope.

So you believe that your desire for life to have some objective meaning has the power to alter the universe and will a being into existence?

Or I believe the being existed first, and willed us into existence, and I have faith he did it for some purpose.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Lost heros wrote:Hope there is something greater out there than I am, that wants me to do good for the benefit of others?

No. Hope in general. Your hope is one of the worst, because it pretends to be not selfish, when it is. The belief that an all powerful being created us in its image, and give a shit about what hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe is narcissistic and completely unnecessary to do good.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:So you believe that your desire for life to have some objective meaning has the power to alter the universe and will a being into existence?

Or I believe the being existed first, and willed us into existence, and I have faith he did it for some purpose.

Why does a higher being have to give you a purpose?

Can you not make a purpose for yourself? Can you not determine what impact you will leave?

Your original claim that we Atheists have no hope and believe life is pointless is unfounded. We believe life has a point - and we are here to determine that point. Not God, not Allah, not Yaweh, not any of the Greek/Roman/Hindu/Polytheistic gods. Just us.

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

You are NOT the first covert. :p

I'll play along...

Heathens, fluffy is lord. http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2008/ ... 381581.jpg Convert or die.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Hope there is something greater out there than I am, that wants me to do good for the benefit of others?

No. Hope in general. Your hope is one of the worst, because it pretends to be not selfish, when it is. The belief that an all powerful being created us in its image, and give a shit about what hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe is narcissistic and completely unnecessary to do good.

What are your hopes than?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No. Hope in general. Your hope is one of the worst, because it pretends to be not selfish, when it is. The belief that an all powerful being created us in its image, and give a shit about what hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe is narcissistic and completely unnecessary to do good.

To become enlightened.

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:No. Hope in general. Your hope is one of the worst, because it pretends to be not selfish, when it is. The belief that an all powerful being created us in its image, and give a shit about what hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe is narcissistic and completely unnecessary to do good.

We hope that when we die we will leave a lasting impact on humanity.

Whether it's inventing something to make people's lives better, helping the poor gain better livelihoods, or any of those things, we hope to leave a lasting impact on humanity.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:So you believe that your desire for life to have some objective meaning has the power to alter the universe and will a being into existence?

Your arguement for a deity's existence was desire for life to have meaning. If you have some evidence to back up your claims, then I would be happy to hear them.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Or I believe the being existed first, and willed us into existence, and I have faith he did it for some purpose.

Can you not make a purpose for yourself? Can you not determine what impact you will leave?

Your original claim that we Atheists have no hope and believe life is pointless is unfounded. We believe life has a point - and we are here to determine that point. Not God, not Allah, not Yaweh, not any of the Greek/Roman/Hindu/Polytheistic gods. Just us.

If you truly believe that you are able to make a purpose for yourselves, have fun with it, I am not going to stop you, but I will believe there is some sort of guidance out there to help me find my purpose that it gave me.

4years
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby 4years » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Lost heros wrote:

I hope that people will stop believing in god(s) without empirical evidence or even a decent theoretical arguement.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -10.00 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10
"Those who do not move, do not notice their chains. "
-Rosa Luxemburg
"In place of bourgeois society with all of it's classes and class antagonisms, we shall have an association, one in which the free development of each is the condition for the free development of all" -Karl Marx
There is no such thing as rational self interest; pure reason leads to the greatest good for the greatest number.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Lost heros wrote:If you truly believe that you are able to make a purpose for yourselves, have fun with it, I am not going to stop you, but I will believe there is some sort of guidance out there to help me find my purpose that it gave me.

Please, prove that you can't make your own purpose. :roll:

Agymnum
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Lost heros wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

If you truly believe that you are able to make a purpose for yourselves, have fun with it, I am not going to stop you, but I will believe there is some sort of guidance out there to help me find my purpose that it gave me.

So religion is a crutch for you. You require guidance to find your purpose.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Lost heros wrote:Or I believe the being existed first, and willed us into existence, and I have faith he did it for some purpose.

Your arguement for a deity's existence was desire for life to have meaning. If you have some evidence to back up your claims, then I would be happy to hear them.

There isn't evidence and I am not ashamed to admit that. That still doesn't mean I can't hope in its existence

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros wrote:

So religion is a crutch for you. You require guidance to find your purpose.

So?
Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros";p="<a href="tel:11420481">11420481</a> wrote:If you truly believe that you are able to make a purpose for yourselves, have fun with it, I am not going to stop you, but I will believe there is some sort of guidance out there to help me find my purpose that it gave me.

Please, prove that you can't make your own purpose. :roll:

Do you know what you are here for?

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Lost heros wrote:If you truly believe that you are able to make a purpose for yourselves, have fun with it, I am not going to stop you, but I will believe there is some sort of guidance out there to help me find my purpose that it gave me.

Now this is the thing I least understand about theists. How the hell does the idea that some divine tyrant is dictating every aspect of your life even remotely appealing? How are the standards they supposedly offered us to adhere to any superior to those we can find on our own?
Lost heros wrote:There isn't evidence and I am not ashamed to admit that. That still doesn't mean I can't hope in its existence

Which means you are willing something into existence because it makes life more comfortable for you.
Last edited by Threlizdun on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/they

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Lost heros wrote:Do you know what you are here for?

I...just told you. Like a few minutes ago.
Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros wrote:What are your hopes than?

To become enlightened.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 pm

4years wrote:
Lost heros wrote:What are your hopes than?

I hope that people will stop believing in god(s) without empirical evidence or even a decent theoretical arguement.

So you wish to remove many people's hopes.

Agymnum wrote:
Lost heros";p="<a href="tel:11420442">11420442</a> wrote:What are your hopes than?

We hope that when we die we will leave a lasting impact on humanity.

Whether it's inventing something to make people's lives better, helping the poor gain better livelihoods, or any of those things, we hope to leave a lasting impact on humanity.

But what is humanity other than a bunch of hairless apes does on a tiny speck of dust in a random galaxy in a random universe

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Threlizdun wrote:

Now this is the thing I least understand about theists. How the hell does the idea that some divine tyrant is dictating every aspect of your life even remotely appealing? How are the standards they supposedly offered us to adhere to any superior to those we can find on our own?
Lost heros wrote:There isn't evidence and I am not ashamed to admit that. That still doesn't mean I can't hope in its existence

Which means you are willing something into existence because it makes life more comfortable for you.

Your second statement pretty much answered what you don't understand in the first.
It makes it more comfortable for us, to believe we have guidance.

Mavorpen wrote:
Lost heros";p="<a href="tel:11420534">11420534</a> wrote:Do you know what you are here for?

I...just told you. Like a few minutes ago.
Mavorpen";p="<a href="tel:11420461">11420461</a> wrote:To become enlightened.

Sorry, it isn't easy playing catch up.
What does that even mean?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Lost heros wrote:So you wish to remove many people's hopes.

No one's removing anything. It's painfully obvious that he means voluntarily, in which case you'd think they'd have enough sense to realize that religious hope is false hope?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General