NATION

PASSWORD

What happened to Abraham's Republican Party?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Zaras wrote:
Divair wrote:Maybe all the left wing Americans ran away to Canada?

Maybe America never really had a left-wing in the first place? Unlike civilized countries, America repressed the living fuck out of its labour movements, and whatever gains the Progressives may have brought were flushed down the toilet by America's silly two-party system.

It was left-wing briefly during FDR's terms, but it didn't last long.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm

There are no Republicans or Democrats, there have always and only ever been the two major groups, the Federalists and the Anti-Federalists.

What we're experiencing now is the GOP has just been carjacked and now is in danger of swerving off the world and leaving a niche open.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Divair wrote:
Zaras wrote:
Maybe America never really had a left-wing in the first place? Unlike civilized countries, America repressed the living fuck out of its labour movements, and whatever gains the Progressives may have brought were flushed down the toilet by America's silly two-party system.

It was left-wing briefly during FDR's terms, but it didn't last long.

If only Roosevelt could've stayed alive, maybe he'd have forced the USA's political spectrum to a more healthy position.

And maybe we'd have the Second Bill of Rights and the Four Freedoms.

Basically, FDR was the best President the USA ever had. (Post-FDR was Johnson or, bizarrely enough given his reputation, Nixon.)
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Zaras wrote:
Divair wrote:It was left-wing briefly during FDR's terms, but it didn't last long.

If only Roosevelt could've stayed alive, maybe he'd have forced the USA's political spectrum to a more healthy position.

Basically, FDR was the best President the USA ever had. (Post-FDR was Johnson or, bizarrely enough given his reputation, Nixon.)

Aye. Easily one of my favourite politicians and the best president the USA has had.

Raeyh
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Raeyh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Risottia wrote:
Raeyh wrote:Abraham was war hungry, too.

How many foreign countries did the Lincoln administration invade, actually?

Well, the Confederacy technically was a foreign country after defecting, much like the colonies became a foreign country from England after the Declaration of Independence.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Zaras wrote:
Divair wrote:It was left-wing briefly during FDR's terms, but it didn't last long.

Lincoln
FDR
LBJ
T. Roosevelt
Jefferson

Is typically how I list the greatest presidents (LBJ for the Civil Rights act, which he crusaded for, really, JFK was a shit President who simply got us out of the shitstorms he himself created). Of course, Andrew Jackson should always be on the bottom for the whole genocide thing.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:57 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Zaras wrote:

Lincoln
FDR
LBJ
T. Roosevelt
Jefferson

Is typically how I list the greatest presidents (LBJ for the Civil Rights act, which he crusaded for, really, JFK was a shit President who simply got us out of the shitstorms he himself created). Of course, Andrew Jackson should always be on the bottom for the whole genocide thing.

I list JFK really highly for one reason only:
His support for NASA.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Divair wrote:
AETEN II wrote:Lincoln
FDR
LBJ
T. Roosevelt
Jefferson

I list JFK really highly for one reason only:
His support for NASA.

Not really. It was more of a political stunt than flow blown support from the Space Race books I own. And besides, he really fucked up with the Cold War and nearly started a Nuclear War by fucking up with the Bay of Pigs. That was a colossal fuckup.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Tarvelia wrote:Balanced budgets and low taxes is far-right-wing?

Racist? Here is a list of some of the minorities of our party, most of whom are racist tea party types.

Not all Republicans are racists. However, Republicans can count on staunch electoral support from white racists at the polls.

Understand the distinction? The coalition that is the Republican party includes a number of overt racists, and those who build their political careers catering to racists.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:02 pm

AETEN II wrote:
Divair wrote:I list JFK really highly for one reason only:
His support for NASA.

Not really. It was more of a political stunt than flow blown support from the Space Race books I own. And besides, he really fucked up with the Cold War and nearly started a Nuclear War by fucking up with the Bay of Pigs. That was a colossal fuckup.

I know it was a political stunt (and in the long term, possibly a military one) and that he really fucked up with the Bay of Pigs, but the result of his support of NASA remains the same.
Last edited by Divair on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Divair wrote:
AETEN II wrote:Not really. It was more of a political stunt than flow blown support from the Space Race books I own. And besides, he really fucked up with the Cold War and nearly started a Nuclear War by fucking up with the Bay of Pigs. That was a colossal fuckup.

I know it was a political stunt (and in the long term, possibly a military one) and that he really fucked up with the Bay of Pigs, but the result of his support of NASA remains the same.

And he nearly destroyed America. NASA doesn't exactly cancel out a nearly disastrous engagement that nearly caused nuclear war. LBJ was far better. Not to mention that the Civil Rights act is greater than NASA.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:08 pm

AETEN II wrote:And he nearly destroyed America. NASA doesn't exactly cancel out a nearly disastrous engagement that nearly caused nuclear war.

Cancels it out? No.
Will benefit humanity as long as we exist? Yes.

AETEN II wrote: LBJ was far better. Not to mention that the Civil Rights act is greater than NASA.

While I agree that the Civil Rights Act was great, I'd have to put them at equal value.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Divair wrote:
AETEN II wrote: LBJ was far better. Not to mention that the Civil Rights act is greater than NASA.

While I agree that the Civil Rights Act was great, I'd have to put them at equal value.

Johnson actually got all the shit done that JFK couldn't, was the only President to try to end national poverty and created the Great Society. His only failure was Vietnam.

Nixon, for all his crookedness, created the EPA and OSHA, ended the US government's more horrible policies towards Native Americans, for the first time raised social services spending above military spending, and expanded Johnson's programs.
Bythyrona wrote:
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:16 pm

Zaras wrote:
Divair wrote:While I agree that the Civil Rights Act was great, I'd have to put them at equal value.

Johnson actually got all the shit done that JFK couldn't, was the only President to try to end national poverty and created the Great Society. His only failure was Vietnam.

Nixon, for all his crookedness, created the EPA and OSHA, ended the US government's more horrible policies towards Native Americans, for the first time raised social services spending above military spending, and expanded Johnson's programs.

Let's be fair, Vietnam was a glorious clusterfuck.

Teach us to help France.

West Sylvania
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby West Sylvania » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Neither the Republicans nor the Democrats are anything similar to the sorts of political philosophies they originated as. They have both evolved with the times and the trends.

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Divair wrote:
AETEN II wrote:And he nearly destroyed America. NASA doesn't exactly cancel out a nearly disastrous engagement that nearly caused nuclear war.

Cancels it out? No.
Will benefit humanity as long as we exist? Yes.

Better to live in a less scientifically advanced world where everyone is lawfully equal than a racist state where minorities are second-class citizens but the technology is highly advanced.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:27 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Zaras wrote:Johnson actually got all the shit done that JFK couldn't, was the only President to try to end national poverty and created the Great Society. His only failure was Vietnam.

Teach us to help France.

And extra fairness, Kennedy started it. Sort of.
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: What happened to Abraham's Republican Party?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Augarundus wrote:Republicans weren't really abolitionist until the beginnings of the Civil War...

The Republican Party didn't exist until the eve of the War of the Rebellion; it was founded in 1854.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Lord Tothe wrote:
Jinos wrote:
Uh-oh. It's a neo-confederate.

Are you going to tell us about the War of Northern Aggression now?

Lolno. Nice strawman, BTW. Scarecrows are nice seasonal decor.

Just saying his reputation as the Great Protector of Freedom is exaggerated. Speaking out against slavery while building a conscripted army, instituting an income tax, and jailing dissenters is hypocritical. Lysander Spooner is the abolitionist who had it right.

Well, it's not my fault you're talking like one of them.

There's nothing "totalitarian" about taxes. No, I don't believe in any of that "taxes are theft" bullshit. And saying his army was conscripted is downright laughable, news flash, all armies were conscripted at that time, of course, they HAD to be to defend a country. Jailing rioters and potential rebels (not "dissenters") in an area near the front isn't despicable either, especially considering what the military had been advocating.

Lincoln didn't ask for that war, in fact, he tried to bend over backwards to prevent it. But the southern states had finally found a scapegoat to justify an armed rebellion against a legitimate government because that government had the gall to tell the south it couldn't have its way all the time. The CSA fired the first shot. And people did not have their rights trampled on, the constitution specifically states heabus corpus can be suspended during wartime.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Raeyh wrote:
Risottia wrote:How many foreign countries did the Lincoln administration invade, actually?

Well, the Confederacy technically was a foreign country after defecting, much like the colonies became a foreign country from England after the Declaration of Independence.

The Confederacy was never a foreign country, it wasn't recognized internationally, in addition our constitution specifically lays out that states can't engage in international agreements (like a confederacy).

The USA was recognized by France.

There's a difference.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

Aethelstania
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethelstania » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:49 pm

Because they used to be conservatives; now their right wing ideologues

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:19 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Zaras wrote:Johnson actually got all the shit done that JFK couldn't, was the only President to try to end national poverty and created the Great Society. His only failure was Vietnam.

Teach us to help France.

To be totally fair, the previous few times we helped out France in a war - telling the Brits to fuck off in 1812 and telling the Germans to fuck off in WWI and WWII - worked out reasonably well for us in the long run.

Alaje
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alaje » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Jinos wrote:
Gaveo wrote:
Saying that the Republicans is like saying Ron Paul wants to increase the budget of the military or Rachel Maddow voting for them (Republicans). Its just not true...

Today's Republican party is barely removed from Fascism as an ideology. I can't think of any other ideology more "right" than Fascism, except for Nazism, which is really only a subset of Fascism.

Dude, don't talk about something you obviously don't know a thing about. The GOP is nowhere near Fascism ideologically. :rofl:
I'm a Flamingo
Likes: Corporatism, Market Socialism, Progressivism, Atheism, Centrism, Kemalism, Dirigisme

Dislikes: Capitalism, Liberalism, Conservatism, Libertarianism, Abortion, Feminism, LGBT

I've been: Communist , Fascist

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Excess of liberty, whether it lies in the state or individuals, seems only to pass into excess of slavery. - Plato

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Alaje wrote:
Jinos wrote:
Today's Republican party is barely removed from Fascism as an ideology. I can't think of any other ideology more "right" than Fascism, except for Nazism, which is really only a subset of Fascism.

Dude, don't talk about something you obviously don't know a thing about. The GOP is nowhere near Fascism ideologically. :rofl:

Franklin D. Roosevelt, April 29, 1938. Message to congress. wrote:The first truth is that the liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic state itself. That, in its essence, is fascism — ownership of government by an individual, by a group, or by any other controlling private power.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Let's be fair, Vietnam was a glorious clusterfuck.

Teach us to help France.

To be totally fair, the previous few times we helped out France in a war - telling the Brits to fuck off in 1812 and telling the Germans to fuck off in WWI and WWII - worked out reasonably well for us in the long run.

Three out of four ain't bad.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General