NATION

PASSWORD

Is Your Halloween Costume Racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:14 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Ralkovia wrote:
We should just ban Halloween. Chances are someone gets offended over nearly everything.

And then that gets called "stomping out Paganism".

And then you offend a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Imam, who say "Paganism offends us."
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 pm

The issue is the portrayal of another persons ethnicity as caricature by dressing in supposed 'cultural dress' for no other reason than social recreation. In other situations it might be justifiable but Halloween is not that situation.

If a person chooses to caricature there own culture (including historic antecedents) then this is less of a problem. So yes white people should feel free to dress as cow girls, cheerleaders, Victorian dandies, football players, surfer dudes or princess. Even the black dress and conical hat is fine since is not related to real wiccans only witch caricatures.

and yes white people DO HAVE CULTURE, Torcularis to deny that you have culture is itself a racist statement as it implies that what you perceive as normal in your life is objective normal for everyone rather than culturally informed -which it isn't

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:15 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Wow. Honestly I thought NSG was more open-minded than this. I guess you all don't care about the way minorities feel when you play dress up with their culture. I'm sorry I tried to have a civil discussion. I greatly apologize.

Tell me this, would you find me dressing like this: Image offensive?

If I was in a militia I'd find it an offensive call to arms. :D
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Wow. Honestly I thought NSG was more open-minded than this. I guess you all don't care about the way minorities feel when you play dress up with their culture. I'm sorry I tried to have a civil discussion. I greatly apologize.

It's not our fault you've gotten your panties in a bunch over nothing. Maybe for Halloween you should dress up as someone who isn't quite so thin-skinned?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

The Ottoman Imperial Union
Attaché

Founded: Oct 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ottoman Imperial Union » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

If somebody dresses that way, I highly doubt they're attempting to be offensive; they're just dressing up as something they see as fun. People dress as cowbows; an American icon that makes us all seem like uncultured hicks. People dress as lumberjacks; an American and Canadian icon that also implies uncultured hicks, ect. Heck, people dress as Pirates and Pastafaraianists could call that an insult to their religious figures. If we say "you shouldn't do anything that could possibly be interpreted as racist", then you essentially remove a lot of options for people who really aren't meaning anything bad.

If anything, I'd say people need to be a little more casual on the subject of their race. If you'd like, feel free to dress up as something insulting to whites; unless you deliberately overplay it (And I mean full-blown overplaying), then I'll just accept it.

I'm not going to go out of my way to be insulting, but if I say "Hey, I kinda want to dress up as Mongolian Horseman this year." I shouldn't have the local Mongol-Americans in an uproar.
Last edited by The Ottoman Imperial Union on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Sebastia-Zachistan wrote:

Nobody agrees with me. I guess that means you're all uncivilized, backwards barbarians. Have fun in your caves while I advance civilization.

Fixed for you.

Looik I've already had a fucking shitty day. That's not what I fucking meant so please lay the fuck off. I really just wanted to have a civil fucking discussion and try to show you guys that it's fucking hurtful to do that to someone's culture. But if you want to be childish and change my words, you go right the fuck on.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Tell me this, would you find me dressing like this: Image offensive?

OH YEAH. WELL I FIND IT OFFENSIVE THAT YOU WERE OFFENDED!

You can see how offended I am, because it was in caps locks.
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.

BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Not really, I mean I am using a blind contact lens, an eye patch, a lab coat, and some face paint and putty. Add it all up and you know what i'll look like.

Unless however a one eyed scientist with a half burnt face from a HCl spill is racist.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Treko
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Treko » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
Fixed for you.

Looik I've already had a fucking shitty day. That's not what I fucking meant so please lay the fuck off. I really just wanted to have a civil fucking discussion and try to show you guys that it's fucking hurtful to do that to someone's culture. But if you want to be childish and change my words, you go right the fuck on.

Ohhh, kitty got claws.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Tell me this, would you find me dressing like this: Image offensive?

Well, good thing I live in Kanada, far away from you stinking rebs! :D
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Coherent Imbeciles
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Coherent Imbeciles » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Fixed for you.

And you decide to make your day better by posting something that you obviously have strong feelings about and that you know will stir up some controversy? :eyebrow:

I think what you meant to say was, "I wanted everybody to agree with me, and you guys are assholes because you aren't doing so."
I say fuck a lot.
I don't like obnoxious bronies. You can watch the show. Just don't shout about it from the rooftops.

Things they will be alright.
There's nothing sicker in society than a lack of liquor and sobriety.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 pm

Saruhan wrote:

Tell me this, would you find me dressing like this: Image offensive?

Yes.
You're only allowed to dress in this costume:
*nods*
:p
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Vadia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 pm

This is bothering me quite a bit, do you seriously think this is okay? Like say if they dressed up in say..."white trash"? Perhaps the numerous other issues we have, the thousands of racist white consumes no one wants to wear?
The fastest way to make absolutely sure that a point is bad, is to pretend to argue for it to people that are against it.

""Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening""

This is also my NPC account.

Coherent Imbeciles
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Coherent Imbeciles » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:Not really, I mean I am using a blind contact lens, an eye patch, a lab coat, and some face paint and putty. Add it all up and you know what i'll look like.

Unless however a one eyed scientist with a half burnt face from a HCl spill is racist.

Eyepatches insult the visually impaired and pirates. Check your privilege.
I say fuck a lot.
I don't like obnoxious bronies. You can watch the show. Just don't shout about it from the rooftops.

Things they will be alright.
There's nothing sicker in society than a lack of liquor and sobriety.

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Nobody agrees with me. I guess that means you're all uncivilized, backwards barbarians. Have fun in your caves while I advance civilization.

Fixed for you.

This.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

Sebastia-Zachistan
Attaché

Founded: Jun 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastia-Zachistan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Fixed for you.

The first mistake you made was assuming you would find a "civil conversation" on NSG.

The second mistake you made was assuming that, because no one agrees with you, there is no civil conversation. Regardless of what you may think or say, you got a (NSG equivalent of a) civil conversation. No one made very much fun of you at all (save perhaps one, and then I when you decided to ragequit the conversation), and they made reasonable counters to your argument. If that isn't a civil conversation, then what, if you would enlighten me, is?

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Dyakovo wrote:

Yes.
You're only allowed to dress in this costume:
*nods*
:p

Well, it's not like I could get more conspicuous...
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 pm

We generally (no pun intended) are. But you're making a mountain out of a molehill here. Yes there are "racist" costumes, and guess what? 99.99% of the population at Halloween doesn't give a shit about it. Too bad we have to pander to the 0.01% who either can't allow themselves one day/night of 365.24 to join the rest of us in socially acceptable joke or can't pull their heads out of their ass enough.

I've seen African-americans, asian-americans, hispanic-americans wear some really racist costumes last year (one of the African-americans dressed up as a KKK member..), and guess what... NO ONE CARED.

Sorry that the majority of people responding to you on this topic don't agree with you, but it don't mean we all approve of racism. Just that we think "racist costumes" on the racist things to get pissed off about is somewhere between White Rappers and Black Country Music stars.
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Vadia wrote:This is bothering me quite a bit, do you seriously think this is okay? Like say if they dressed up in say..."white trash"? Perhaps the numerous other issues we have, the thousands of racist white consumes no one wants to wear?

What do you mean?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c-ev0rhc_Nc/S ... 0_1922.JPG
Last edited by Ralkovia on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Den Svenska Riket
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Den Svenska Riket » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 pm

I suppose if someone did something like the white woman gone ganster they would be upset but I dont think any Asian person would be upset if someone dressed as a Samuri, they were awesome and might be proud people still remember their culture and history. I am a white American boy and I have a culture/heritage so you do too. I am largely Canadian (British), Ukrainian and Italian. if you arent of European descent chances are you might have Native blood in you.
My IC name is The Swedish Empire
I am not Swedish, I am American

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Coherent Imbeciles wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Looik I've already had a fucking shitty day. That's not what I fucking meant so please lay the fuck off. I really just wanted to have a civil fucking discussion and try to show you guys that it's fucking hurtful to do that to someone's culture. But if you want to be childish and change my words, you go right the fuck on.

And you decide to make your day better by posting something that you obviously have strong feelings about and that you know will stir up some controversy? :eyebrow:

I think what you meant to say was, "I wanted everybody to agree with me, and you guys are assholes because you aren't doing so."

No, I knew there were going to be people disagreeing. I just thought I remembered NSG being a lot less rude.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Vadia wrote:This is bothering me quite a bit, do you seriously think this is okay? Like say if they dressed up in say..."white trash"? Perhaps the numerous other issues we have, the thousands of racist white consumes no one wants to wear?

Yes.
Married to Koshka

The Ottoman Imperial Union
Attaché

Founded: Oct 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ottoman Imperial Union » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Cetacea wrote:
If a person chooses to caricature there own culture (including historic antecedents) then this is less of a problem. So yes white people should feel free to dress as cow girls, cheerleaders, Victorian dandies, football players, surfer dudes or princess. Even the black dress and conical hat is fine since is not related to real wiccans only witch caricatures.

But isen't that statement in and of itself racist?

"I can dress this way because I'm black/asian/white/Native American/ect., but you can't!"

Being non-racist implies that if a person of one race is allowed to do it, then, reasonably, people of other races must be allowed to do it as well.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Sebastia-Zachistan wrote:The first mistake you made was assuming you would find a "civil conversation" on NSG.

The second mistake you made was assuming that, because no one agrees with you, there is no civil conversation. Regardless of what you may think or say, you got a (NSG equivalent of a) civil conversation. No one made very much fun of you at all (save perhaps one, and then I when you decided to ragequit the conversation), and they made reasonable counters to your argument. If that isn't a civil conversation, then what, if you would enlighten me, is?

She's been here a lot longer than you, actually, and she's a pretty nice person. So maybe chill slightly.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Treko
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Treko » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Coherent Imbeciles wrote:And you decide to make your day better by posting something that you obviously have strong feelings about and that you know will stir up some controversy? :eyebrow:

No, I knew there were going to be people disagreeing. I just thought I remembered NSG being a lot less rude.

Welcome to the internet honey, it ain't no walk in the park.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General