NATION

PASSWORD

Is Your Halloween Costume Racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Actually, that brings up a great idea - make your costume better, by doing in-depth research into how everyday people from a particular tribe dresses/dressed, maybe a local/nearby group. I would think that as long as you avoid mocking sacred earned symbology (a very low standard), it should be easy to avoid causing offense and this sort of costume would also make you popular with the crafty crowd, at the very least.

That's stupid. No one is going to go research the entire history of a tribe based on one night. For the majority of people from the age of 18-25, Halloween is about getting laid and drinking, which is just another way of having fun. For girls, the costumes are sexy because the market demands them to be sexy. For guys, the costumes are either funny or exhibit some sort of masculinity.

The underlying purpose is to fuck, not to talk about native american cultures or the bushido of samurai. The fact that anyone wants to make Halloween more complex then a holiday to party on, underlies that said people don't get invited to parties. Especially with opinions like "make you popular with the crafty crowd, at the very least."

I can already imagine the OP and several other people at a party talking about how their costume is "period correct" amidst a group of frat guys and sorostitutes doing kegstands.

Yes, actually, I research my costumes if I'm doing something historical, or if I'm doing extensive make-up or prosthetics. And I go trick-or-treating, yo. I'm 8 and what is this

actually I'm 19 I just enjoy trick or treating.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Irish. Though I have a good friend who is Slavic, and she is the only other person I know who can manage to keep up with me all night.

Lol. Yeah, I'm partially slavic. I'd like to think that's the reason I have to drink so much to get drunk and not because I'm tolerant from exposure.

I know it is a bad day when there are too many erythrocytes in my whisky stream.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Irish. Though I have a good friend who is Slavic, and she is the only other person I know who can manage to keep up with me all night.

Lol. Yeah, I'm partially slavic. I'd like to think that's the reason I have to drink so much to get drunk and not because I'm tolerant from exposure.

I'm not Irish, not Slavic, but I can drink my friends under the table.
I don't even know. I don't even drink much.
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
Ralkovia wrote:
That's stupid. No one is going to go research the entire history of a tribe based on one night. For the majority of people from the age of 18-25, Halloween is about getting laid and drinking, which is just another way of having fun. For girls, the costumes are sexy because the market demands them to be sexy. For guys, the costumes are either funny or exhibit some sort of masculinity.

The underlying purpose is to fuck, not to talk about native american cultures or the bushido of samurai. The fact that anyone wants to make Halloween more complex then a holiday to party on, underlies that said people don't get invited to parties. Especially with opinions like "make you popular with the crafty crowd, at the very least."

I can already imagine the OP and several other people at a party talking about how their costume is "period correct" amidst a group of frat guys and sorostitutes doing kegstands.

Yes, actually, I research my costumes if I'm doing something historical, or if I'm doing extensive make-up or prosthetics. And I go trick-or-treating, yo. I'm 8 and what is this

Oh you totally sound like the life of the party. No culture. Takes it way to serious.
[/Sarcasm]

I'm sure your fine, but you have to understand that people don't really want to think about it. Hell, I've seen sexy zombie costumes. We fetishize to fit demand.

You can probably play a game of adlibs and put "Sexy _______ Costume" and find something.

It's not dissing a culture, its just a theme to fit the mentality. Sex sells.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Yes, actually, I research my costumes if I'm doing something historical, or if I'm doing extensive make-up or prosthetics. And I go trick-or-treating, yo. I'm 8 and what is this

Oh you totally sound like the life of the party. No culture. Takes it way to serious.
[/Sarcasm]

I'm sure your fine, but you have to understand that people don't really want to think about it. Hell, I've seen sexy zombie costumes. We fetishize to fit demand.

You can probably play a game of adlibs and put "Sexy _______ Costume" and find something.

I am not telling anyone that they cannot wear a costume. All I'm asking is that maybe they look at it from another point of view and think about the fact that there are thousands of other costumes that can be equally as fun, or more fun.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Ralkovia wrote:

I'm not Irish, not Slavic, but I can drink my friends under the table.

I take back what I previously. Anyone who can drink fortuitous amounts of alcohol earns my respect.
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.

BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:I'm not Irish, not Slavic, but I can drink my friends under the table.

I take back what I previously. Anyone who can drink fortuitous amounts of alcohol earns my respect.

First time I drank, all my friends (who are heavy drinkers) took like 3 shots and were buzzed. It was 8 for me.

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
[/Sarcasm]

I am not telling anyone that they cannot wear a costume. All I'm asking is that maybe they look at it from another point of view and think about the fact that there are thousands of other costumes that can be equally as fun, or more fun.

Yes, like sexy penis costume or sexy priest costume or anything else.

Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 am

Ralkovia wrote:
Britannic Realms wrote:My first point is that I don't celebrate Halloween. I'm not a Pagan, and if I want sweets I shall go and buy them instead of knocking on some strangers door and threaten them.

Secondly, IT'S JUST A COSTUME. I don't see why everything has to be so politically correct, it's just a bloody costume. If some black person dressed up as a white person I wouldn't demand that they take it off and call them racist because I really don't care. It's a free country. Likewise, if somebody came up to me and starting denouncing my race or culture then I really wouldn't care. And then, it's always a minority of people that complain. I'm sure the majority of people from other races really don't care how a few people dress up for Halloween. People who constantly bitch about this kind of thing really irritate me, I just don't understand why they can't get on with their lives. Of course, if you're being lynched by the Ku Klux Klan or whatever they're called, that's different. But it's just a Halloween costume, some people really do need to grow up.

Because some people don't understand what fun is, and if everybody can't join in on the fun then we have to ban the whole thing. Hell, I'm a minority, if someone dresses up as a Jewish Person and starts going "Oh the holocaust. Oh anne frank, oh gafilta fish," etc. I'd laugh at their stupidity and ignorance and probably make fun of them in return. It might just be that as a Jewish person I've been exposed to so many stereotypes about my own people, that I literally can't give a shit. My Bank Balance on Fucks was all withdrawn a long time ago, so I can't give any out.

But that's okay, because Jews are white. Anyone of color is similarly coddled with people walking on egg shells. I've been called 'kike' 'thief' 'money grubber' etc. more times by a person of color more than I've ever experienced anything by a white person. I'm not going to go and say "obviously that means all brown people are bad." However, I've found the whole situation of "If your white, you should feel guilty that your more successful than anyone else" and "If your brown, your entitled to complain anytime you face anything you remotely think is discrimination."

I apologize, but I would laugh at the above costume just because I am applauding their impossibility, as well as due to the person's stupidity, because I need to know how they managed to dress up as a specific religious affiliation. :unsure:
and
Ralkovia wrote:My Bank Balance on Fucks was all withdrawn a long time ago, so I can't give any out.

Sigged
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 am

Ralkovia wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Ralkovia, some of us aren't 16-year-olds trapped in college undergraduate bodies, so we go to parties to actually enjoy ourselves and not to dutifully add a notch to the liver and bedpost. Your lack of imagination shines through your otherwise bland and forgettable retort.

First of all, I go to the University of Florida. Top Ten Public School. Biggest Party School In America.

Well, aren't you just a shining public intellectual.

Second of all, you're more than welcome to go to those types of parties. However, the majority of people want sexy costumes. Companies will cede to the demand.

Ah, this makes it not racist, I suppose.

Third of all, I didn't need to use my imagination to come up with a retort, I applied what I've learned about economics and what I've learned about the 18-25 year demographic.

Indeed, best not strain yourself pretending there is a world outside your taxpayer-funded enclave where Florida's best and brightest are working on slowly killing their livers and brains. Remember never to question the received wisdom in your economics textbook; economists have everyone's best interest in mind, always.

I'm sure your fine

I'm sure Torcularis is relieved. Everybody, the economist says it's fine - move along.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Natair
Minister

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Natair » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am

Free South Califas wrote:
Second of all, you're more than welcome to go to those types of parties. However, the majority of people want sexy costumes. Companies will cede to the demand.

Ah, this makes it not racist, I suppose.

No, it's just what the majority demands, and the majority tends to win a lot of times, unfortunately.

As for me, I've finally decided what I'm going as: Zack from FFVII CC! w00t! NO RACISM!
:ugeek:

(I originally said Cloud, but unfortunately I have brown hair and am too cheap for a nerdwig)
Last edited by Natair on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud AFKer since 2013
Economic Left/Right: -8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.67
I'm just going to say this now and get it out of the way: Mods, Admins, and Mentors are not out to get you. There is no conspiracy. They're not going to waste their time and energy on one insignificant human being who's feeling sorry for themself. The world ain't out to get you; you're just paranoid.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General