NATION

PASSWORD

Is Your Halloween Costume Racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Vadia wrote:This is bothering me quite a bit, do you seriously think this is okay? Like say if they dressed up in say..."white trash"? Perhaps the numerous other issues we have, the thousands of racist white consumes no one wants to wear?

What do you mean?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c-ev0rhc_Nc/S ... 0_1922.JPG

That was actually pretty funny
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

North California
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Would my Barack Obama mask by considered racist? I personally do not think it is though.
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support Ron Paul Gary Johnson. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Everyone should watch this video

Factbook

Got a US-themed nation, and need a flag? This is the place

American Nationalist. Yet, anti-American government

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:
Coherent Imbeciles wrote:And you decide to make your day better by posting something that you obviously have strong feelings about and that you know will stir up some controversy? :eyebrow:

I think what you meant to say was, "I wanted everybody to agree with me, and you guys are assholes because you aren't doing so."

No, I knew there were going to be people disagreeing. I just thought I remembered NSG being a lot less rude.

NSG...less rude. What threads have you been reading?
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm

People should stop being so damn sensitive. Is dressing in drag sexist? I certainly don't have a problem with it. I don't feel like I'm being insulted when I see some guy waltzing around a Halloween party in a frilly pink dress with a big stupid-looking blonde wig. As an actual chick, do I ever wear that kind of thing? No. But you shouldn't take such things too seriously. Considering there are stereotyped costumes derived from European culture as well as minority ones, I don't see this as reinforcing social inequality. There's a whole rack of cheap-ass fake lederhosen and dirndls at a costume shop near me, not to mention Pilgrim costumes, Roman stuff, European-inspired princess costumes, etc. Yes, there is a lot of stereotyped imagery going around, but it's equal-opportunity stereotyping.

The bomb on the chest on the Middle Eastern one is maybe going a step too far. A geisha or an Indian chief isn't a negative thing to be associated with. The costumes might be stereotyped, but the characters they're portraying are not villains. A suicide bomber is a villain. That's not cool.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Coherent Imbeciles wrote:
Germanic Templars wrote:Not really, I mean I am using a blind contact lens, an eye patch, a lab coat, and some face paint and putty. Add it all up and you know what i'll look like.

Unless however a one eyed scientist with a half burnt face from a HCl spill is racist.

Eyepatches insult the visually impaired and pirates. Check your privilege.

Darn it, well time for plan B. Dress like Russian from MW2. Got the gas mask and helmet to do so.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:Wow. Honestly I thought NSG was more open-minded than this. I guess you all don't care about the way minorities feel when you play dress up with their culture. I'm sorry I tried to have a civil discussion. I greatly apologize.

I don't want you to apologize. Even though people aren't agreeing with you, I think that you should still stand by your thread. I understand that you wish to never risk offending anyone. The problem is that any costume could be taken as offensive for any reason by anyone and if one costume is thought to cross the line, then where does it end? To try to categorize what is acceptable or not will be arbitrary.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

The Ottoman Imperial Union wrote:
Cetacea wrote:
If a person chooses to caricature there own culture (including historic antecedents) then this is less of a problem. So yes white people should feel free to dress as cow girls, cheerleaders, Victorian dandies, football players, surfer dudes or princess. Even the black dress and conical hat is fine since is not related to real wiccans only witch caricatures.

But isen't that statement in and of itself racist?

"I can dress this way because I'm black/asian/white/Native American/ect., but you can't!"

Being non-racist implies that if a person of one race is allowed to do it, then, reasonably, people of other races must be allowed to do it as well.

Yeah, I remember reading about Nazi costumes being fairly popular in South and South-East Asia. But do you remember that shitstorm when that one British Royal dressed as a Nazi once?
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yes.
You're only allowed to dress in this costume:
*nods*
:p

Well, it's not like I could get more conspicuous...

See that costume works for you because that is a Croat Cavalryman circa 1630s...
:twisted:
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Cinderfell
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinderfell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Treko wrote:Dressing up as a S. American guerrilla fighter isn't racist, is it?

It might be insulting to the S. American guerrilla fighter, or anyone who has experienced some strong emotional contact or experience with one.

Politically, its not illegal to insult someone. There is nothing in the constitution or American law that forbids offense. The reason why racism (and supposedly racist behavior) is stigmatized in our (American) culture is because the law-making members of our society have decided that unmediated racism can effect the fundamental well-being of a group of people - for example, through misunderstanding and marginalization of a people by the masses.

An interesting thought experiment is to try and put yourself in the perspective of the person that your costume is a representative of, or can be considered a representative of. Try to understand what their culture and identity has been through, their hardships, their triumphs, their failures, and how your costume relates to that. Then try to understand that the same thing can be done of your culture. I can very easily think of a few costumes that would offend the majority of people in the United States (which will not be illustrated here for consideration).

Why don't we all just err on the side of caution, and sacrifice a perhaps very good (and fun) costume for the sake of sparing someone else the emotional hardship.

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:No, I knew there were going to be people disagreeing. I just thought I remembered NSG being a lot less rude.

Apparently the ones where people don't get their dick in a twist just because someone want you to give a little thought to something without jumping straight on the "Ur just butthurt lol" train.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
Coherent Imbeciles wrote:Eyepatches insult the visually impaired and pirates. Check your privilege.

Darn it, well time for plan B. Dress like Russian from MW2. Got the gas mask and helmet to do so.

Thats offensive to the Russians. We don't all wear gas masks and helmets.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:24 pm

North California wrote:Would my Barack Obama mask by considered racist? I personally do not think it is though.

Depends, can you post a pic? i don't think it would be unless it went pretty fucking far...

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 pm

North California wrote:Would my Barack Obama mask by considered racist? I personally do not think it is though.

No, but in a heavily Red state you might actually get shot at. :p
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Coherent Imbeciles
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Coherent Imbeciles » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 pm

Germanic Templars wrote:
Coherent Imbeciles wrote:Eyepatches insult the visually impaired and pirates. Check your privilege.

Gas masks and helmets insult the ghosts of World War One vets. Stop being so offensive.
I say fuck a lot.
I don't like obnoxious bronies. You can watch the show. Just don't shout about it from the rooftops.

Things they will be alright.
There's nothing sicker in society than a lack of liquor and sobriety.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Coherent Imbeciles wrote:And you decide to make your day better by posting something that you obviously have strong feelings about and that you know will stir up some controversy? :eyebrow:

I think what you meant to say was, "I wanted everybody to agree with me, and you guys are assholes because you aren't doing so."

No, I knew there were going to be people disagreeing. I just thought I remembered NSG being a lot less rude.

Maybe you've never been so blatantly wrong before...
*shrugs*
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Saruhan wrote:Well, it's not like I could get more conspicuous...

See that costume works for you because that is a Croat Cavalryman circa 1630s...
:twisted:

They were fighting the Turks and Austrians (Kinda) at the time, so they were alright

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Vadia wrote:This is bothering me quite a bit, do you seriously think this is okay? Like say if they dressed up in say..."white trash"? Perhaps the numerous other issues we have, the thousands of racist white consumes no one wants to wear?

I've seen white trash costumes. Sometimes they are funny.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Seres
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seres » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

that native guy doesn't look native.
“Let our worries disperse like clouds in a clear blue sky. Like a thief entering an empty house, bad thoughts can do no harm to an empty mind.”- Padmasambhava
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”-c.s. lewis
cosmopolitan/nationalistic: 37%
secular/religious: 28%
visionary/reactionary: 18%
anarchistc/authoritarian: 30%
communistic/capitalistic: 54%
pacifistic/militaristic: 8%
ecological/anthropological: 48%

Torcularis Septentrionalis
Powerbroker

Founded: May 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Torcularis Septentrionalis » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Torcularis Septentrionalis wrote:No, I knew there were going to be people disagreeing. I just thought I remembered NSG being a lot less rude.

Maybe you've never been so blatantly wrong before...
*shrugs*

Yes, how dare I consider the feelings of others.
The Andromeda Islands wrote:This! Is! A! Bad! Idea!
Furious Grandmothers wrote:Why are you talking about murder when we are talking about abortion? Murdering a fetus is impossible. It's like smelling an echo. You're not making sense.

20 year old female. Camgirl/student. Call me Torc/TS/Alix

Treko
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Treko » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Cinderfell wrote:
Treko wrote:Dressing up as a S. American guerrilla fighter isn't racist, is it?

It might be insulting to the S. American guerrilla fighter, or anyone who has experienced some strong emotional contact or experience with one.

Politically, its not illegal to insult someone. There is nothing in the constitution or American law that forbids offense. The reason why racism (and supposedly racist behavior) is stigmatized in our (American) culture is because the law-making members of our society have decided that unmediated racism can effect the fundamental well-being of a group of people - for example, through misunderstanding and marginalization of a people by the masses.

An interesting thought experiment is to try and put yourself in the perspective of the person that your costume is a representative of, or can be considered a representative of. Try to understand what their culture and identity has been through, their hardships, their triumphs, their failures, and how your costume relates to that. Then try to understand that the same thing can be done of your culture. I can very easily think of a few costumes that would offend the majority of people in the United States (which will not be illustrated here for consideration).

Why don't we all just err on the side of caution, and sacrifice a perhaps very good (and fun) costume for the sake of sparing someone else the emotional hardship.

If they can't handle it, they need to grow up. Also, looking it over I have no reason to believe a S. American guerrilla fighter is racist if he is fighting for his views and beliefs.
Last edited by Treko on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Dressing as a knight would offend Muslims and Jews because of the crimes caused by crusaders.
Just like dressing as a pirate would offend people because of the crimes of pirates
Dressing as royalty would offend peasants.
Dressing in drag would offend Trans
Dressing as a Soldier would offend Hippies and Soldiers
Dressing as a Hippie would offend Hippies and soldiers
Dressing as police would offend criminals
Dressing as robots would offend Luddites
Dressing as a farmer would offend farmers
Dressing as a businessman would offend Communists

Basically anything could be offensive to SOMEONE.

Halloween is also a night of mischief, wearing an outfit seen 'offensive' is part of the entire thing.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Coherent Imbeciles
Envoy

Founded: Jan 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Coherent Imbeciles » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Ralkovia wrote:

Apparently the ones where people don't get their dick in a twist just because someone want you to give a little thought to something without jumping straight on the "Ur just butthurt lol" train.

We've given lots of thought to the subject.
That doesn't mean that you aren't just feeling crack crippled, or rump ravaged, or fanny flustered.
I say fuck a lot.
I don't like obnoxious bronies. You can watch the show. Just don't shout about it from the rooftops.

Things they will be alright.
There's nothing sicker in society than a lack of liquor and sobriety.

Vadia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vadia » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Ralkovia wrote:

What do you mean?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_c-ev0rhc_Nc/S ... 0_1922.JPG

A white guy is wearing it, that cancels it out. It would be like if a Italian made fun of himself.
The fastest way to make absolutely sure that a point is bad, is to pretend to argue for it to people that are against it.

""Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening""

This is also my NPC account.

Cinderfell
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cinderfell » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Seres wrote:that native guy doesn't look native.

What do you think native guys look like? All of them have long, braided hair and wear headdresses?

(written by a native)

North California
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Saruhan wrote:

Depends, can you post a pic? i don't think it would be unless it went pretty fucking far...

It's an Obama version of a Nixon or Reagan mask. It actually does a good job of looking like Obama. They even have that mole he's got on his cheek by his nose.
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support Ron Paul Gary Johnson. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Everyone should watch this video

Factbook

Got a US-themed nation, and need a flag? This is the place

American Nationalist. Yet, anti-American government

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General