NATION

PASSWORD

Media bias at work.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is the media biased? If so, which way? Also, did you correctly pick the two Congressmen?

Yes - the media is biased toward the Right
30%
No - the media has little or no aggregate bias
5%
Yes - the media is biased toward the Left
16%
Donuts!
16%
Yes - I correctly identified both Congressmen
9%
No - I only identified the Democratic Congressman
12%
No - I only identified the Republican Congressman
1%
No - I failed to identify either Congressman
10%

Total votes : 287

Muckistania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Muckistania » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:15 am

PapaJacky wrote:
Saint-Thor wrote:The only question should be: are there any unbiased media left in the US?

No, because there is no such thing as "without bias". I can make a quantum state analogy right now but reasons.

This is true. Only a person with no self knowledge could give an unbiased report on something. But this never happens as such individuals would be defective and incapable of articulating a point. How can you judge anything if you have no personal point of reference? A persons point of reference is their self knowledge.

It would be like asking a person that always been blind to comment on the colour of the sky.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am

Gauthier wrote:
Dyakovo wrote: :rofl:

So trustworthy. Like a Catholic nursery.

Actually, that's more or less what I thought about linking to Freakonomics, too. Neoliberal orthodoxy is still orthodoxy.

ETA: Sorry, the comparison is unfair, but I thought I should leave this post up to be accountable.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

Gauthier wrote:
Dyakovo wrote: :rofl:

Indeed - Newsbusters is about as "Fair and Balanced" as Fox News.

Free South Califas wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Actually, that's more or less what I thought about linking to Freakonomics, too. Neoliberal orthodoxy is still orthodoxy.

ETA: Sorry, the comparison is unfair, but I thought I should leave this post up to be accountable.

Are you saying that orthodoxy, of any kind, ought to be challenged? If so, I agree - and don't spare my own beliefs.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:13 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Free South Califas wrote:Actually, that's more or less what I thought about linking to Freakonomics, too. Neoliberal orthodoxy is still orthodoxy.

Are you saying that orthodoxy, of any kind, ought to be challenged? If so, I agree - and don't spare my own beliefs.

Trust, but verify.

Ukrussiaine
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ukrussiaine » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm a [Insert Political Affiliation Here], so I'll make a topic insinuating [Insert Opposing Political Affiliation Here] has an unfair advantage.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Free South Califas wrote:Actually, that's more or less what I thought about linking to Freakonomics, too. Neoliberal orthodoxy is still orthodoxy.

Well, yes, actually. It just occurred to me after I posted it that Freakonomics contributes something of value now and then, even if their little media project is often little more than high-minded apologetics for neoliberal cruelty.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Ukrussiaine wrote:I'm a [Insert Political Affiliation Here], so I'll make a topic insinuating [Insert Opposing Political Affiliation Here] has an unfair advantage.

This..um...this is what you think participation in a discussion looks like? This is what you thought people wanted to read? When given the opportunity to impress those around you with your insight, this is what your mind thought of as a good response? "Oh yeah, gotta write this one down" is what came to mind when pondering this particular gem?

You must be frightfully dull to be around.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Wiendonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiendonia » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:28 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:I ran across a recent case - blaring and obvious - of media bias, and thought I'd share it with NSG. It involves two Congressmen both caught in marital indiscretions. I will repeat the details of the two cases, and see how many people correctly pick the two Congressmen.

Congressman #1 is caught cheating on his wife by sexting strange women. The media turns the affair into a three-ring circus, and eventually - under pressure from his own party - the Congressman resigns first his leadership positions, then his seat in Congress.

Congressman #2 is caught cheating on his wife by keeping a mistress, a mistres he first seduced as a practising doctor - she was the patient. Furthermore, despite being "pro-life", he pressured her to abort their unborn child, was reckless with handguns around both wife and mistress, and behaved abusively toward his (soon-to-be ex) wife. The media systematically ignores the story, even after it comes out in court, and then exerts no pressure at all on the Congressman to resign his leadership positions or his seat.

So; who are the congressmen? Be sure to think of your answers before reading the spoiler:

Congressman #1 is Anthony Weiner (D-NY-09). The media hounded him out of office after it was revealed that he had tweeted suggestive photos of himself to a follower on Twitter.
Congressman #2 is Scott DesJarlais (R-TN-04). Over a decade after Congressman DesJarlais divorced his first wife, and the documents suggesting the abortion pressure were released in open court, the media are finally talking a little about it. And not without running the whole "He said, she said" angle, implicitly accusing the Democrats of character assassination in the process.

So much for "liberal bias in the media". It seems that there are indeed double standards for politicians of the two parties - only, the media holds Democrats to much higher standards in both their personal and their professional lives, whilst ignoring the hypocrisies of "pro-life, pro-family" Republicans cheating on their wives, then urging their mistresses to get the very abortions they attempt to criminalise. And only now - a decade after the documents came out in open court - does the media even begin touching the story.

Keep up the good work, media morons! I'm sure the GOP will be grateful for all the water you systematically carry for them - some day.

1. There is no doubt media bias
2. There are 535 member of Congress and the Senate. Can't expect the media to get them all. I'm not justifying the GOP guys actions however it is reasonable to see how this web under the radar.
3. Anthony Wiener was a much more prominent member of Congress then the other guy and also was fighting in a swing district so naturally he got more attention.
I RP as the Zardic People's Party in Particracy! Join me there :D
Politically i fall on the New Right of the good ole US of A. Neocon/liberal conservative.
I tend to be more socially conservative and economically moderate.

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Xochi wrote:Yeah, here's the difference, Anthony Weiner outright lied to the media (a la Richard Nixon) and let an FBI investigation begin before eventually owning up to it. Lie to the media, they ain't gonna be your friend. Plus, Weiner was generally just a dick (pun intended) to pretty much everyone. So he got what he deserved without any "bias" working in any different direction.

It's also worth mentioning that Weiner is from New York City, which most people in the media find to be far more interesting of a place than Tennessee. If for no other reason that a significantly greater number of members of the newsmedia spend time in Ne w York, than can be said for Tennessee.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Neo Art wrote:
Ukrussiaine wrote:I'm a [Insert Political Affiliation Here], so I'll make a topic insinuating [Insert Opposing Political Affiliation Here] has an unfair advantage.

This..um...this is what you think participation in a discussion looks like? This is what you thought people wanted to read? When given the opportunity to impress those around you with your insight, this is what your mind thought of as a good response? "Oh yeah, gotta write this one down" is what came to mind when pondering this particular gem?

if any of us had lives, would we be here?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neo Art wrote:

if any of us had lives, would we be here?

Talk about projection. Any issues you want to talk about?
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Andaluciae wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:if any of us had lives, would we be here?

Talk about projection. Any issues you want to talk about?

nah, i'm too boring, but thanks for asking.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Cruciland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cruciland » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:26 pm

If a so-called "conservative" dares to go back on everything s/he was supposed to stand for, then s/he is now a hypocrite and no longer deserves to be called a conservative. That said, DesJarlais is NOT an actual conservative. He is a hypocrite. Furthermore, by tempting his wife to take an innocent child's wife he is also a heretic. *SIGH* Why can we not all behave like who we affiliate ourselves with?

And why is the left wing acting like such a Goddamned watchdog?
THREADS SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLED: 29 | Beliefs IBeliefs IIBeliefs III
Crucilandians - Old Capital - New Capital | A 4.8 civilization, according to this index.
Socialdemokraterne wrote:If the absence of secularism wasn't enough to scare our people, the rate of which the doomsday button is pressed by them sure settled the matter.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Cruciland, I just want to say, your nation is frightening.

The Inevitable Syndicate wrote:My advice to you, dear Gordano-Lysandus, is to run. Or hide. Maybe not hiding, because the Crucilandians will find you, and by their god, you will be assimilated.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Cruciland wrote:If a so-called "conservative" dares to go back on everything s/he was supposed to stand for, then s/he is now a hypocrite and no longer deserves to be called a conservative. That said, DesJarlais is NOT an actual conservative. He is a hypocrite. Furthermore, by tempting his wife to take an innocent child's wife he is also a heretic. *SIGH* Why can we not all behave like who we affiliate ourselves with?

It isn't just the port that's doing that. Starboard is just as guilty.

Cruciland
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Cruciland » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:11 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Cruciland wrote:If a so-called "conservative" dares to go back on everything s/he was supposed to stand for, then s/he is now a hypocrite and no longer deserves to be called a conservative. That said, DesJarlais is NOT an actual conservative. He is a hypocrite. Furthermore, by tempting his wife to take an innocent child's wife he is also a heretic. *SIGH* Why can we not all behave like who we affiliate ourselves with?

It isn't just the port that's doing that. Starboard is just as guilty.

Of course. Neither side has my full respect for these transgressions.
THREADS SINGLE-HANDEDLY KILLED: 29 | Beliefs IBeliefs IIBeliefs III
Crucilandians - Old Capital - New Capital | A 4.8 civilization, according to this index.
Socialdemokraterne wrote:If the absence of secularism wasn't enough to scare our people, the rate of which the doomsday button is pressed by them sure settled the matter.

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:Cruciland, I just want to say, your nation is frightening.

The Inevitable Syndicate wrote:My advice to you, dear Gordano-Lysandus, is to run. Or hide. Maybe not hiding, because the Crucilandians will find you, and by their god, you will be assimilated.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General