NATION

PASSWORD

Military Service

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 am

I've been called in, so I will be serving in the military in a year (We have compulsory military service here in Norway). I guess you should join if you want to and find yourself fit for the military. There is no good reason not to, really.
Last edited by Vestr-Norig on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
-- Centre-left --
Agrarianism, Republicanism, Ruralism, Nationalism, Western Norwegian Separatism, Regionalism, Confederalism, Localism, Christian Democracy, Decentralization, Protectionism, National/Cultural Conservatism, Traditionalism, Euroscepticism

Language: Linguistic purism, Norsk Målreising

Religion: Lutheranism
"Sæle dei som ikkje ser, og endå trur" - Joh 20,29

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 am

Most of my family has been on the military at some point.

This is partly way I joined the AFROTC.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:27 am

Genivaria wrote:I plan on going to have a chat with someone at the Recruiting Office, I still haven't made up my mind yet.

What were you thinking of doing in the Guard?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:33 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Well to answer Gen's questions...

What do you think of the military?
Whether people like it or not, the US Military is a nessecity now and will be until...I really can't see a point in the near future where it won't be needed. As a culture it's definetly a strange place, but for the most part as long as you do the job and support the man or woman on your right or left, generally you're treated as an equal, psychotic noncoms and pissant junior officers aside.

The only thing that really pisses me off about the US Military is the armchair warhawks that have the idea that every single man and women serving in the military is a christian soldier of some kind campaigning for their personal beliefs, and you have to listen to these assholes while in uniform because the second you tell them to go fuck themselves because you defend the constitution and all citizens of the US rather than their asinine monkey belief you can bet a big fat complaint comes rolling into your CO's office in some form.

re your first point...

Needless to say I do agree wholeheartedly with you. However there is another type who is not the armchair general wanking himself silly with religious zeal. That would be the actively serving officer (including Generals). They scare me more than the armchair bootboi.
Generally people who are as zealous as the armchair generals don't make it into upper echelon positions where they could affect much other than a few numbers. Per several mandates the US Military is mostly EOE when it comes to most jobs (yes there are some that women aren't allowed to fill just yet, all in due time), and even your most evangelical senior officers and noncoms are more interested in who can do the job rather than who they approve of on a narrow personal level. Suffice it to say most evangelical armchair generals wouldn't get far in the US Military despite their grandiose and sometimes rather disturbing fantasies.

Of course this is all thrown out the second the US Marines are mentioned. They're a very "special" case indeed :D

(Let's see, bait's out, now all I have to do is wait for a passing Dyakovo-Fish...)
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:37 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
re your first point...

Needless to say I do agree wholeheartedly with you. However there is another type who is not the armchair general wanking himself silly with religious zeal. That would be the actively serving officer (including Generals). They scare me more than the armchair bootboi.
Generally people who are as zealous as the armchair generals don't make it into upper echelon positions where they could affect much other than a few numbers. Per several mandates the US Military is mostly EOE when it comes to most jobs (yes there are some that women aren't allowed to fill just yet, all in due time), and even your most evangelical senior officers and noncoms are more interested in who can do the job rather than who they approve of on a narrow personal level. Suffice it to say most evangelical armchair generals wouldn't get far in the US Military despite their grandiose and sometimes rather disturbing fantasies.

Of course this is all thrown out the second the US Marines are mentioned. They're a very "special" case indeed :D

(Let's see, bait's out, now all I have to do is wait for a passing Dyakovo-Fish...)

*examines hook, ignores bait*
:p
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Bodobol
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bodobol » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 am

I think, although I believe war to be normally wrong, there is no reasoning with some people. It is justified in those cases. Therefore, a military is necessary and it is a nice alternative for those who can't afford college.
Do you know anyone who's in it?
Several. My father, two of my uncles, my grandfather, my great-great-great grandfather (or great-great-great-great grandfather, I'm not sure)
Are YOU in it?
Nope.
What were some of your experiences?
Don't really have any, despite my family's long lineage of military service.
And what should people like myself who are considering joining expect?
Tough boot camp- very tough boot camp, and lots of work.
Last.fmRead my blogshe/her

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote:Generally people who are as zealous as the armchair generals don't make it into upper echelon positions where they could affect much other than a few numbers. Per several mandates the US Military is mostly EOE when it comes to most jobs (yes there are some that women aren't allowed to fill just yet, all in due time), and even your most evangelical senior officers and noncoms are more interested in who can do the job rather than who they approve of on a narrow personal level. Suffice it to say most evangelical armchair generals wouldn't get far in the US Military despite their grandiose and sometimes rather disturbing fantasies.

*examines hook, ignores bait*
:p
Oh, there's my problem, there was writing involved that was multi-syllabic 8)
Last edited by Northern Dominus on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Genivaria wrote:I plan on going to have a chat with someone at the Recruiting Office, I still haven't made up my mind yet.

What were you thinking of doing in the Guard?

Well lets see. I'm not technically or medically inclined and I only speak English.
That limits my options.
I wouldn't at all mind being an MP, but a part of me (the masochistic part) just wants to join either Infantry or Armor and Field Artillery.
Logistics Support looks easy, but it sounds so boring.
http://www.nationalguard.com/careers/mos-guard-jobs

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:47 am

Genivaria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:What were you thinking of doing in the Guard?

Well lets see. I'm not technically or medically inclined and I only speak English.
That limits my options.
I wouldn't at all mind being an MP, but a part of me (the masochistic part) just wants to join either Infantry or Armour and Field Artillery.

See, this is funny when MP generally means Member of Parliament.

Isn't this the lot that were sent in with all those integration of school cases (e.g. Little Rock Nine)?
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:48 am

Genivaria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:What were you thinking of doing in the Guard?

That limits my options.
I wouldn't at all mind being an MP, but a part of me (the masochistic part) just wants to join either Infantry or Armor and Field Artillery.

Okay, I guess a better question would be: What do you want to do when you get out?
Married to Koshka

Zijeme
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zijeme » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 am

North California wrote:Do the CIA or Border Patrol count as military service?

I may join those, I'm leaning more towards the CIA though.

That's a bit Big Government, innit?
The vandal shot his paint straight at the cow in the form of words like "twat", and later "fucknut" and "arsecandle".

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 am

North California wrote:Do the CIA or Border Patrol count as military service?

I may join those, I'm leaning more towards the CIA though.

No, neither is military.
Married to Koshka

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 am

Genivaria wrote:Recently I've been considering joining the American National Guard for various reasons, this of course like many other things I think about led me to an idea for a new General topic. (I'm obsessed with NSG I tell you, OBSESSESED!) Ahem.
Anyway I thought I'd start a topic on Military Service.

Do you know anyone who's in it?
Are YOU in it?
What were some of your experiences?
And what should people like myself who are considering joining expect?

I personally have a sister who joined the National Guard and a cousin who used to be in the Navy and worked on an Aircraft Carrier.
(No I don't remember the name of the ship)

It's a fine institution.
I know a pilot, a sailor, and and a soldier. I should really hook up the sailor and the soldier come to think of it. Only the pilot is one i'd describe as a friend, the others are more friends of friends.
Not in it, but I wouldn't mind being so if they'd allow me. (terribly unfit)
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Well lets see. I'm not technically or medically inclined and I only speak English.
That limits my options.

Okay, I guess a better question would be: What do you want to do when you get out?

Thats the thing. I don't know.
As I said though, my interest is History and other Social Sciences. Maybe I'll end up as a teacher. I don't know.
A family member of mine asked me if I ever thought about being a cop because I know how to handle people and I'm good at keeping calm, I hadn't thought of that option.
I figured the military will help me figure it out.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:57 am

Forsher wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Well lets see. I'm not technically or medically inclined and I only speak English.
That limits my options.
I wouldn't at all mind being an MP, but a part of me (the masochistic part) just wants to join either Infantry or Armour and Field Artillery.

See, this is funny when MP generally means Member of Parliament.

Isn't this the lot that were sent in with all those integration of school cases (e.g. Little Rock Nine)?

I don't know anything about that but in this case MP stands for Military Police.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:59 am

I think soldiers need to receive more handjobs in return for living entirely on the taxpayer's payroll and joining up for all the shiny post-service benefits because they spent a few years in a datacenter in Ramstein coordinating drone strikes occuring half a planet away.

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:05 am

Genivaria wrote:As I said though, my interest is History and other Social Sciences. Maybe I'll end up as a teacher. I don't know.

do this

this is not a movie where the military will take the young boys without a purpose and then the corp will turn them into men and then they will get pretty wives
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am

Genivaria wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Okay, I guess a better question would be: What do you want to do when you get out?

Thats the thing. I don't know.
As I said though, my interest is History and other Social Sciences. Maybe I'll end up as a teacher. I don't know.
A family member of mine asked me if I ever thought about being a cop because I know how to handle people and I'm good at keeping calm, I hadn't thought of that option.

Well, in that case my advice is to choose a MOS that has civilian applications... That way you'll be learning job skills in addition to earning money for college.
Married to Koshka

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:17 am

Kilobugya wrote:I strongly oppose the army for ethical and practical reason. An army is the embodiment of all what I despite : strong hierarchy, uniformity, blind obedience, harsh and cruel punishments, using violence, killing people, giving lots of importance to tiny insignificant details, ...

Humans should be diverse, free, emancipated, taking decisions together, challenging authority, and not using violence against their brethren.

My man.

I can't stand the fact that humans are being indoctrinated into living weapons.

If we had Reapers, Dread Lords, Tyranids, Romulans, or the Vaygr banging on our doorstep, then yeah, a military should be a necessity.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 am

Dyakovo wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Thats the thing. I don't know.

Well, in that case my advice is to choose a MOS that has civilian applications... That way you'll be learning job skills in addition to earning money for college.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, maybe I'll decide to stay in the military long-term. Maybe try for officer.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am

Czechanada wrote:
Kilobugya wrote:I strongly oppose the army for ethical and practical reason. An army is the embodiment of all what I despite : strong hierarchy, uniformity, blind obedience, harsh and cruel punishments, using violence, killing people, giving lots of importance to tiny insignificant details, ...

Humans should be diverse, free, emancipated, taking decisions together, challenging authority, and not using violence against their brethren.

My man.

If we had Reapers, Dread Lords, Tyranids, Romulans, or the Vaygr banging on our doorstep, then yeah, a military should be a necessity.

But all we're doing is banging at each other's doorsteps.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:48 am

Divair wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
My man.

But all we're doing is banging at each other's doorsteps.

Exactly. If we didn't have militaries, we couldn't bang on each other's doorsteps.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:50 am

Czechanada wrote:
Divair wrote:But all we're doing is banging at each other's doorsteps.

Exactly. If we didn't have militaries, we couldn't bang on each other's doorsteps.

The solution:

Put Canada in charge of the world.

Morrdh
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 16, 2008
Democratic Socialists

Postby Morrdh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 am

Divair wrote:
Czechanada wrote:

The solution:

I like the idea of a Canadian Empire but I realize it would mean Prince Charles becoming the Emperor of Mankind.
Irish/Celtic Themed Nation - Factbook

In your Uplink, hijacking your guard band.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am

Morrdh wrote:
Divair wrote:The solution:

I like the idea of a Canadian Empire but I realize it would mean Prince Charles becoming the Emperor of Mankind.

Disconnect the royal family from Canada when they are promoted.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General