NATION

PASSWORD

Omar Khadr

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What should happen to Omar Khadr?

He should be freed immediately.
27%
He should be kept in prison as planned, becoming eligible for parole in 2013
43%
He should be kept in prison for longer than is planned.
5%
He should be kept in prison for life.
6%
He should be executed.
19%

Total votes : 104

Germanic Templars
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Germanic Templars » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Indira wrote:I am troubled by the idea of executing him for being brainwashed, but at the same time I doubt the practicality of letting him go. Keep him in jail until he no longer represents a threat to society seems to be the only humane option and his case can be used as a demonstration of how brutal the terrorists are and how humane the West is.

Then do what I say friend, solitary confinement. Keeps the baddies to rot away, without killing them or putting them out on the street. Even better, they suffer through isolation.

• INTP
  • All American Patriotic Constitutionalist/Classic libertarian (with fiscal conservatism)
  • Religiously Tolerant
  • Roman Catholic
  • Hoplophilic/ammosexual
  • X=3.13, Y=2.41
  • Supports the Blue

I support Capitalism do you? If so, put this in your sig.

XY = Male, XX = Female

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Caninope wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:
Fair point, but he's also a fifteen year old in one of the most ignorant places on the planet.

The mens rea for murder generally requires that someone intentionally conducts themselves in a manner in which they know a human being will be killed, or has a high likelihood of it.

It seems that he willingly threw the grenade at the soldier. That doesn't seem like an accident sort of deal.

Depending on the extent of the propoganda, self-defence is a possibility.
"the murkans are gonna kill all the arabs, arm yourself!"

Remember, self-defence doesn't require that the ideas you act on be TRUE, just believed by you at the time.

EXAMPLE:
A dude is threatening to shoot me.
I shoot him first.
Later it is discovered his gun had no bullets. This does not alter the fact that at the time I thought he was gonna shoot me.
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:
Fair point, but he's also a fifteen year old in one of the most ignorant places on the planet.

This can absolve him of some of the blame, but not of our responsibility to protect others from him.
In fact, the issue becomes, is he still ignorant.
If he can demonstrate some understanding of actions/atonement and pass parole, I have no objection to his release.
But if he is still a danger, he should be treated as such.

I agree with what you posted earlier. He should serve until 2013 and then get paroled or not.

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Caninope wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:I'd say he's done that and more. He's been brutally tortured for ten years. He's apologized to Speer's widow. He's seen his hopes rise as CSIS arrives to ask him some questions, then fall when he realizes that they don't want to get him out of there.

Once again, please elaborate on torture. This is the third time I've asked you to elaborate on what you mean; I'm really hoping that you don't ignore me again.

Soliders tightly tied a bag over his head, giving him a fear of suffocation. They held barking dogs near him, and they threatened to rape him.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Typhlochactas
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Typhlochactas » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm

Caninope wrote:
Typhlochactas wrote:

The mens rea for murder generally requires that someone intentionally conducts themselves in a manner in which they know a human being will be killed, or has a high likelihood of it.

It seems that he willingly threw the grenade at the soldier. That doesn't seem like an accident sort of deal.

I didn't call it an accident.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Caninope wrote:The mens rea for murder generally requires that someone intentionally conducts themselves in a manner in which they know a human being will be killed, or has a high likelihood of it.

Depending on the extent of the propoganda, self-defence is a possibility.
"the murkans are gonna kill all the arabs, arm yourself!"

Remember, self-defence doesn't require that the ideas you act on be TRUE, just believed by you at the time.

Correct. However, a court would probably strike down that argument, as he had took up (figurative) arms before he had done the deed. He was already a soldier, if I'm understanding what I'm reading.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Trollgaard wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:You guys don't seem to get the question.

WHY IS THAT GLORIOUS?

Why is killing the enemy glorious?

Because it is.

If you were part of Al Qaeda and killed a lot of American soldiers, would you still consider it glorious?
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Because it is.

If you were part of Al Qaeda and killed a lot of American soldiers, would you still consider it glorious?

If I was part of Al Qaeda I'm pretty sure my definition of glory would be killing American soliders.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:39 pm

Arumdaum wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Because it is.

Comparing the police to criminals.
It can be glorious to put a bunch of criminals in small boxes with iron bars, if a non-authorized individual did that, it'd be awful, probably.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Have him serve his goddamn time.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:If you were part of Al Qaeda and killed a lot of American soldiers, would you still consider it glorious?

If I was part of Al Qaeda I'm pretty sure my definition of glory would be killing American soliders.

Eh, true. I was asking more though whether he'd still consider it glorious.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Caninope wrote:Once again, please elaborate on torture. This is the third time I've asked you to elaborate on what you mean; I'm really hoping that you don't ignore me again.

Soliders tightly tied a bag over his head, giving him a fear of suffocation. They held barking dogs near him, and they threatened to rape him.

1. They never threatened to rape him. They (falsely) told him of detainees who had been raped. There is a bit of a difference.
2. Once again, abusive but not torturous. That tightly held bag comes closest to torture. All the same, this only happened while he was at Bagram. This doesn't mean the OP's continued claims that he was brutally tortured for 10 years.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:If you were part of Al Qaeda and killed a lot of American soldiers, would you still consider it glorious?

Comparing the police to criminals.
It can be glorious to put a bunch of criminals in small boxes with iron bars, if a non-authorized individual did that, it'd be awful, probably.

Eh, not relevant to my point.

I was asking if he'd still consider that glorious, since the "enemy" is still being killed.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Caninope wrote:
Tlaceceyaya wrote:He was legally considered to be a minor by the US government when he killed the soldier in the firefight. He was subjected to brainwashing before Speer died and torture after. Heinous torture. For ten years.

Please do elaborate on the heinous torture.

While it wouldn't be wrong to say that he was emotionally abused, given the solitary confinement he was continually kept in, please do elaborate on that heinous torture.

Okay.
Threatened with rape.
Promising that he will go home.
Threatening him with more permanent incarceration.
Denial of surgery for his eye.
Refusal of pain medication.
Had his hands tied above a door frame for hours.
Sprayed with cold water.
Covered with a bag over his head and threatened with military dogs.
Farted on.
Forced to do heavy lifting while his injured shoulder was causing him pain.
Forced to urinate and defecate on himself.
His interrogator for that part plead guilty to torturing detainees and even killing a wrongfully accused man with his torture techniques.

He was singled out for the most difficult labour and taunted by american soldiers.
When he was transferred to Guantanamo, he was outfitted with gear to ensure full sensory deprivation and then kicked repeatedly.
He was not allowed to speak with a lawyer for two years.
Three weeks before being visited by CSIS, he was deprived of sleep and constantly moved around.
One of his cell mates in 2003 said that he would often return to his cell crying and hide in a corner.
Spat on by a military interrogator who tore out some of his hair and threatened to send him to a country where he would be tortured even more than he already was and raped.
Short shackled until he soiled himself.
Dragged him across the floor when it was covered in his own urine and pine oil and left in those filthy clothes for two days.
Transferred to solitary confinement for a month in an empty, windowless cell.
When he confessed to CSIS that he had lied to american troops to stop them from torturing him further, they accused him of lying and left him in tears.
Suffered from delusions, hallucinations, intense paranoia and suicidal behaviour.
Participated in a hunger strike for 15 days. When he collapsed from weakness when leaving the hospital, he was repeatedly kicked and assaulted by military police.
Another inmate wrote down in a journal that Omar had thrown up blood and was unconscious in his cell.
Diagnosed with PTSD.
When he showed that he distrusted his military lawyers and called his guards idiots, he was sent to an isolation cell.
Was put into the harshest part of Guantanamo for disciplinary reasons shortly after speaking with his mother for the first time.
His items were seized because he wasn't allowed to read a Lord of the Rings screenplay.
He was ordered to stop playing chess and dominoes with his attorneys.
Assessed by a psychologist who stated that he could not establish trust because of how much he had been abused.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:
Caninope wrote:Please do elaborate on the heinous torture.

While it wouldn't be wrong to say that he was emotionally abused, given the solitary confinement he was continually kept in, please do elaborate on that heinous torture.

Okay.
Threatened with rape.
Promising that he will go home.
Threatening him with more permanent incarceration.
Denial of surgery for his eye.
Refusal of pain medication.
Had his hands tied above a door frame for hours.
Sprayed with cold water.
Covered with a bag over his head and threatened with military dogs.
Farted on.
Forced to do heavy lifting while his injured shoulder was causing him pain.
Forced to urinate and defecate on himself.
His interrogator for that part plead guilty to torturing detainees and even killing a wrongfully accused man with his torture techniques.

He was singled out for the most difficult labour and taunted by american soldiers.
When he was transferred to Guantanamo, he was outfitted with gear to ensure full sensory deprivation and then kicked repeatedly.
He was not allowed to speak with a lawyer for two years.
Three weeks before being visited by CSIS, he was deprived of sleep and constantly moved around.
One of his cell mates in 2003 said that he would often return to his cell crying and hide in a corner.
Spat on by a military interrogator who tore out some of his hair and threatened to send him to a country where he would be tortured even more than he already was and raped.
Short shackled until he soiled himself.
Dragged him across the floor when it was covered in his own urine and pine oil and left in those filthy clothes for two days.
Transferred to solitary confinement for a month in an empty, windowless cell.
When he confessed to CSIS that he had lied to american troops to stop them from torturing him further, they accused him of lying and left him in tears.
Suffered from delusions, hallucinations, intense paranoia and suicidal behaviour.
Participated in a hunger strike for 15 days. When he collapsed from weakness when leaving the hospital, he was repeatedly kicked and assaulted by military police.
Another inmate wrote down in a journal that Omar had thrown up blood and was unconscious in his cell.
Diagnosed with PTSD.
When he showed that he distrusted his military lawyers and called his guards idiots, he was sent to an isolation cell.
Was put into the harshest part of Guantanamo for disciplinary reasons shortly after speaking with his mother for the first time.
His items were seized because he wasn't allowed to read a Lord of the Rings screenplay.
He was ordered to stop playing chess and dominoes with his attorneys.
Assessed by a psychologist who stated that he could not establish trust because of how much he had been abused.

And perhaps worse of all they denied him access to a Qur'an :roll:

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Wonggilo wrote:This boy should be executed. Not only this boy, his parents and his spiritual teachers should be executed too, because they've already brainwashed him.

Are you serious?

Martean
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Martean » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 pm

he should be freed, it's desproportionate what they've done to him
Compass:
Left/Right: -9.00
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.03
Spanish, communist
Pro: Democracy, Nationalized economy, socialism, LGTB Rights, Free Speech, Atheism, Inmigration, Direct Democracy
Anti: Dictatorship, Fascism, Social-democracy, Social Liberalism, Neoliberalism, Nationalism, Racism, Xenophobia, Homophobia.
''When you have an imaginary friend, you're crazy, but when many people have the same imaginary friend, it's called religion''

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:*snip*

A lot of that, and definitely the longest lasting portions of that, would be abuse. Not torture (definition 2 is the most relevant). Am I saying he wasn't mistreated? Sure he was. Was he abused? Sure. Was he tortured? I don't think this falls under that definition, at least not for the majority of his experiences.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Shemiki
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shemiki » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm personally glad they did all that to him. He deserved it. He deserves more. He should be executed slowly and painfully, along with every other scumbag like him. It would save tax dollars on keeping him alive, and serve justice as well. Win-win.
Last edited by Shemiki on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Caninope wrote:

A lot of that, and definitely the longest lasting portions of that, would be abuse. Not torture (definition 2 is the most relevant). Am I saying he wasn't mistreated? Sure he was. Was he abused? Sure. Was he tortured? I don't think this falls under that definition, at least not for the majority of his experiences.

Here, you go through everything he did, and if you can still say it wasn't torture, well, your argument will have a bit more credibility.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Shemiki wrote:I'm personally glad they did all that to him. He deserved it. He deserves more. He should be executed slowly and painfully, along with every other scumbag like him. It would save tax dollars on keeping him alive, and serve justice to boot. Win-win.

Actually, the death penalty costs much more than life imprisonment.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Caninope wrote:

And you're just going to totally ignore the first definition?

Are you suggesting that the only type of torture is intense physical torture?

Greater Somalia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Greater Somalia » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Wasn't his father killed in that raid? That probably explains why he felt he had to kill those soldiers.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Caninope wrote:

Torture does not necessarily mean physically harming someone. In fact, some of the most devious forms of torture are not physical at all. And he was mistreated to the point of it being a grave beach of the Geneva Convention.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Gravlen wrote:Canada shouldr release him if he's no longer a danger to society.

The US should compensate him for the mistreatment he's suffered.

That was 8 years ago, after he'd spent, what, two years at Guantanamo?

Just as soon as he pays for the mistreatment he inflicted.

What, with a decade at Guantanamo? Done.

Now send him his money.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General