NATION

PASSWORD

29-year-old Muslim woman named culture minister of Norway

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Al-Faisal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Al-Faisal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 am

Islamization? Please.

Not that I assume most Norwegians are undereducated (quite the opposite), but perhaps news like this will inspire other Westerners to actually look into the culture of Muslims from around the world, and learn a little about Islam. The present may not be the brightest era, but there was an Islamic Golden Age that the West owes much to.
We hate some persons because we do not know them; and will not know them because we hate them.
~Charles Caleb Colton
Arab National Council elections (Please vote)

Sun Aut Ex wrote:I'll gladly leave the human race if it means I don't have to share a race with the Muslims.

Risottia wrote:
The Northwestern Imperative wrote:Israel is the most civilized, modern country in the Middle East.

No, that would be Turkey.

Vestr-Norig
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vestr-Norig » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 am

Well, she is at least friendly towards Nynorsk, so there is at least one good thing about it. Rather have her than some Riksmål-fanatic from Oslo, that's for sure. I am however disapointed that she supports arranged marriage, though, and I don't really think the culture-minister should be a muslim or any non-Norwegian/non-Christian, as both the knowledge of and that she is a part of the Norwegian culture and the national religion is so important in this occupation.
Last edited by Vestr-Norig on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Centre-left --
Agrarianism, Republicanism, Ruralism, Nationalism, Western Norwegian Separatism, Regionalism, Confederalism, Localism, Christian Democracy, Decentralization, Protectionism, National/Cultural Conservatism, Traditionalism, Euroscepticism

Language: Linguistic purism, Norsk Målreising

Religion: Lutheranism
"Sæle dei som ikkje ser, og endå trur" - Joh 20,29

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:38 am

Al-Faisal wrote:Islamization? Please.

Not that I assume most Norwegians are undereducated (quite the opposite), but perhaps news like this will inspire other Westerners to actually look into the culture of Muslims from around the world, and learn a little about Islam. The present may not be the brightest era, but there was an Islamic Golden Age that the West owes much to.

You got it. So much of our chemistry, astronomy, mathematics and literature is owed to Muslims from centuries ago.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Ronak
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ronak » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 am

Sociobiology wrote:yet more proof Norway is awesome and spits in the face of hate and stupidity everywhere.

the only conclusion can be Odin is real and he offers his aid to only his home country. ;S

What about Sweden? Or is robbaz the protector of Sweden?

Korsagoth
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Korsagoth » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:52 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Al-Faisal wrote:Islamization? Please.

You got it. So much of our chemistry, astronomy, mathematics and literature is owed to Muslims from centuries ago.

lots of things we attribute to Greek and Romans actually was created by Arabs... we just decided to give fake Greek and Latin names that don't actually make any sense in greek or latin to them...

on another note, Norway is one of the most culturally diverse countries on the planet (imo Subculture is a major contributor to the idea of a Culture, without those, you pretty much just have 1 giant cult...), from Poetry, to Music (ily Blackmetal :D), to Visual and Performing arts... Norway makes me happy, at a constancy :D

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:57 am

Zaras wrote:
Shadowlandistan wrote:The question is, will this woman govern as a secularist who happens to be muslim, or a muslim who happens to be Norweigan?

If the latter, that is VERY concerning.

If you're concerned about a Norwegian Muslim, you're Islamophobic and paranoid enough to forget that MUSLIMS ARE NOT A HIVEMIND.

I'm concerned with ANY religious person bringing their faith into public policy, I don't care if they're muslim, christian, jewish, etc. If a nation has a very religious person as cultural minister, that's a problem to me. We need secular governing powers.
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

You are an anarcho-collectivistic.

Cosmopolitan 43%- Nationalistic
Secular 104% -Fundamentalist
Visionary 72%- Reactionary
Anarchistic 76%- Authoritarian
Communistic 34%- Capitalistic
Pacifist 47%- Militaristic
Ecological 16%- Anthropocentric

Korsagoth
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Korsagoth » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:59 am

Vestr-Norig wrote:I don't really think the culture-minister should be a muslim or any non-Norwegian/non-Christian,

that would make more sense if there was a department of tradition... because tradition and culture are extremely different, culture changes from person to person, it is about likes, hobbies, and behaviors, and is about diversity and constant growth, its why musical groups don't just produce one album, and remake it and re-sell it as a different name... (good bands at least)

tradition is the one about... well... cultural tradition...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:07 am

Korsagoth wrote:
Vestr-Norig wrote:I don't really think the culture-minister should be a muslim or any non-Norwegian/non-Christian,

that would make more sense if there was a department of tradition... because tradition and culture are extremely different, culture changes from person to person, it is about likes, hobbies, and behaviors, and is about diversity and constant growth, its why musical groups don't just produce one album, and remake it and re-sell it as a different name... (good bands at least)

You also have to understand that Vestr-Norig thinks all people should stay in their own homelands and not mix with others. It colors his entire outlook.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:09 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:
Zaras wrote:
If you're concerned about a Norwegian Muslim, you're Islamophobic and paranoid enough to forget that MUSLIMS ARE NOT A HIVEMIND.

I'm concerned with ANY religious person bringing their faith into public policy, I don't care if they're muslim, christian, jewish, etc. If a nation has a very religious person as cultural minister, that's a problem to me. We need secular governing powers.

If said person is putting their own faith into public practice to the detriment of others or other faith beliefs, etc., then I would agree, but simply because the person is "very religious" should have no bearing on how suitable a candidate they would be.
Last edited by Lancaster of Wessex on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lancaster.

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:11 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Korsagoth wrote:

You also have to understand that Vestr-Norig thinks all people should stay in their own homelands and not mix with others. It colors his entire outlook.

That's Christian hospitality for you.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

If said person is putting their own faith into public practice to the detriment of others or other faith beliefs, etc., then I would agree, but simply because the person is "very religious" should have no bearing on how suitable a candidate they would be.

I disagree, I think very religious people can't help but see the world differently. Maybe I'm biased because of US politics.
Last edited by Shadowlandistan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:16 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

I disagree, I think very religious people can't help but see the world differently. Maybe I'm biased because of US politics.

I consider myself very religious, but I also feel - mind you I am biased :P - that I am very respectful towards people of other faiths, or indeed, those of no faith whatsoever.

It is possible to find such people.
Lancaster.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:17 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

No. There's a lot of religious people who don't try to enforce their religion on others. See: this forum.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:20 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

I consider myself very religious, but I also feel - mind you I am biased :P - that I am very respectful towards people of other faiths, or indeed, those of no faith whatsoever.

I suppose, in America things are very different. Religious people will make policy for other religious people, pretty much all christian fundamentalists. Europe has the luxury of most of its religious politicians believing in evolution and global climate change and women's health. In the US we're not so lucky...

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

I suppose, in America things are very different. Religious people will make policy for other religious people, pretty much all christian fundamentalists. Europe has the luxury of most of its religious politicians believing in evolution and global climate change and women's health. In the US we're not so lucky...

You clearly have not visited Eastern Europe or Spain.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

Norstal wrote:
Shadowlandistan wrote:

You clearly have not visited Eastern Europe or Spain.

I have not haha. Are they extremists there?

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:25 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

Just another reason I'd never want to live in the US...no offense. As noted, I am religious (Anglican) but I find some of my US cousins just a bit too...over zealous? (to say the least)
Lancaster.

The De Danann Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The De Danann Nation » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 am

Fransikania wrote:The first ever Muslim minister in the Norwegian Cabinet is Hadia Tajik of Pakistani origin, who was handed the culture portfolio

On Sunday, with no precedent in Norwegian history, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg appointed Hadia Tajik, a 29-year-old Muslim woman, as minister of culture, making Tajik the youngest minister in the Norwegian Cabinet and the first ever Muslim in the Norwegian government.

Tajik, of Pakistani origin, anounced that her programme will focus on cultural diversity as part of the Norwegian people's daily lives and how this reflects on Norweigan society as a whole. The programme will delve into the protection of minority rights, whether cultural or racial, including the right of Muslims to wear the veil in public places, among other issues.

The new focus, however, will not be unopposed. Most right wing groups are against these policy changes, considering the increase in diversity in society a challenge to European culture.

Last year Anders Breivik randomly shot 69 people at a summer camp organised by the Workers' Youth League (AUF) of the Labour Party after blowing up a Norweigan state building. During his trial, Breivik reasoned that multi-cultural policies are harming Norway, adding that he considers Islam his enemy.

Born in Strand, Norway, on 18 July 1983, Tajik studied human rights at the University of Kingston in the UK and holds a Bachelor's degree in journalism and Master's in law, the latter awarded by the University of Oslo this year.

An activist from a young age, Tajik led the Young Workers Movement between 1999 and 2002. She also worked as a political advisor to Norway's minister of justice, 2008-2009. During this time Norweigan women members of the police were afforded the right to wear the veil at work. The decision was, however, rescinded due to harsh criticism from conservative parties.

In 2009, Tajik was elected to parliament as a member of the Labour Party in the Oslo constitutency. She was placed on a list of six seats generally considered safe for the party.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/53627.aspx
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first step for an Islamization of Norway

and in 3..2..1 a mod will close this thread with a lame exuse

Who cares if she's a Muslim or not?She seems like a decent woman so what should it matter what her religion is?
De Dana is an island nation off the coast of Asia settled by Celts around 100 B.C. and containing a mix of Eurasian culture.

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:28 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:
Norstal wrote:You clearly have not visited Eastern Europe or Spain.

I have not haha. Are they extremists there?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2 ... beral-laws

Those "liberal" laws were laws that limited the Catholic Church power btw.

There's also this: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... ct-europe/

It's worse here, perhaps, but it's no greener in the other side.

Shadowlandistan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadowlandistan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:30 am

Shadowlandistan wrote:

Just another reason I'd never want to live in the US...no offense. As noted, I am religious (Anglican) but I find some of my US cousins just a bit too...over zealous? (to say the least)

US religion has taken over our politics, which is why there is a need here for non religious people to fight back against the stupidity and fundamentalism of OUR religious people.

Chinamerica
Envoy

Founded: Jul 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinamerica » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:06 am

Don't particularly care about her being Muslim, but she's clearly been appointed just because of being Islamic. I do not want to see more multiculturalism...Ideally I'd just like McDonald's to stay in America, burkas to stay in Islamic nations, etc. It annoys me how when I'm in a foreign country there are often huge clusters of American restaurants. And I never want to see those sexist veils again!
I like: Christianity, conservatism, gay rights, green energy, gun control, Western imperialism, Australian republicanism, Ronald Reagan.
I dislike: Communism, socialism, dictators, Julia Gillard, abortion, drugs, Nazism.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: 3.500
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56

Please sign this petition. This girl deserves justice: http://justiceforjanedoe.com/

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”-William Buckley Jr.
IC
Military: 25,434,917
GDP: $15,004,900,000,000.00

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Vecherd wrote:
Gravlen wrote:Unsurprisingly, both you and the former head of the Norwegian Defence League are wrong, since there's a difference between arranged marriages and forced marriages. As she points out, forced marriages are illegal under Norwegian law.

Unlike you I am not a member though ;)

I wouldn't expect you to be - they're probably a bit too enlightened to be a good fit for you.

Vecherd wrote:Arranged marriages is not good, the parents/third party of two parts agree to wed away two people means a lot of pressure and can also go against the ideals of multiculturalism which I think is bad.

It's still far from a forced marriage, and arranged marriages are still legal in Norway since you can't legally get married without both parties consenting.

Pressure can take place in ordinary marriages as well, I hope you realize.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Smiil wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Is Norway not a democracy? Do you perhaps know of some wrongdoing in her election?

Which is patently wrong because "the rest of society" includes 106,735 Muslims.

No more than her cultural heritage is going to influence her opinion now.

Which she wouldn't do in a post like education? Nonsense.

The same as literally every politician in the history of human governments.

in norway you wote for political parties, 3 years ago labour party won, and this girl was not mentioned at all,

It's kinda amazing how she was elected as a MP in 2009 without being mentioned.

Smiil wrote: it is first now after the last minister resigned this girl enterd the post. the USA is going to hold a election now in Nowember, lets say Obama wins, and then makes up his gouverment consisting only of muslims, it would still be a valid gouverment but it would not reflect what the majorety of the voters wanted.

You are aware that the choice of Ministers aren't dependent on what the voters want, right? Apart from party affiliation, of course. Religion, colour, creed, sexuality etc. - you'll just have to accept what the PM decides and what Parliament accepts.

Smiil wrote:again, she wouldent, she would decide how long the students would need to be at school each day, the learning platform is decided by 2/3 majority in the storting (congress)

Untrue. A simple majority is sufficient.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

Indira
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first step for an Islamization of Norway

Pardon!?! Really no idea how THAT makes any sense. Unless you believe some of the more daft things from the extreme paranoid right.

Khelshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khelshar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Gravlen wrote:It's kinda amazing how she was elected as a MP in 2009 without being mentioned.

She was chosen by the prime minister to take over for Anniken Huitfeldt a few months ago.
Nation under re-construction

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General