NATION

PASSWORD

29-year-old Muslim woman named culture minister of Norway

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zaras
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Zaras wrote:
No, but it does make Iran not a completely Islamist state.

If it were, its human rights would be even worse, and Jews and Zoroastrians wouldn't receive a special protection in the Constitution.

Islamism refers to a very broad collection of political ideas, ranging from the implementation of religious law to Anti-imperialism to Ummah Federalism. The fact that minorities exist within Iran doesn't negate the fact that Iran is still under an Islamist regime. The government is a twelver theocracy, with the supreme leader being the Ayatollah, some minority rights in their constitution(to say nothing of actual enforcement of these rights) doesn't change that.

My point is that it's not Taliban Afghanistan yet.
Bythyrona wrote:
Zaras wrote:Democratic People's Republic of Glorious Misty Mountain Hop.
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Best post I've seen on NS since I've been here. :clap:
Factbook
RP 1, RP 2, RP 3, RP 4, RP 5
ADS, UDL, GFN member
Political compass (old), Political compass (new)
Bottle, telling it like it is.
Risottia, on lolbertarianism.

Sulamalik
Minister

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Zaras wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:
Islamism refers to a very broad collection of political ideas, ranging from the implementation of religious law to Anti-imperialism to Ummah Federalism. The fact that minorities exist within Iran doesn't negate the fact that Iran is still under an Islamist regime. The government is a twelver theocracy, with the supreme leader being the Ayatollah, some minority rights in their constitution(to say nothing of actual enforcement of these rights) doesn't change that.

Well, if we want to be technical, it'd be impossible for Iran to become like the Taliban, because they're Sunni extremists. :p

I get what you're trying to say, but was just objecting to the part about Iran not being a fully Islamist state. It absolutely is. if you want to say that Iran is a more benign Islamist state than, say, Saudi Arabia, then I agree wih you.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Freiheit Reich wrote:"Economically disadvantaged and angry urban youth music."
Is that a nicer and more modern term to use?

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:
Iran's elections are heavily manipulated (There's even speculation that the results of the last national election were a heavy-handed fake ) and it's human right record, both on the theoretical and on the actual level, is utterly crappy. The fact that some of it's neighbour countries, including those that are allied with the US, are even worse, doesn't negate that.

Except when Iran's shiny record is emphasized while those of said neighbors are downplayed or outright imagined away.

Of which none can compare to Israel.
Spig: Ralk, what is ur Zionist Jewnazi Agenda?
Ralk: PROLIFERATE POTATO
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.
Kirav wrote:This is NationStates. Our Jews live in Ralkovia.

Maudlnya wrote:You guys talking about Ralkovia?
*mutters something about scariness up to 11*

Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:
Leningrad Union: Help me against Ralkovia

That's a Jew octopus with a machine gun.
I think I will pass.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
New_Edom:you're so coy Ralk. You're the shyest of dictators.
More Funny/Intimidating Quotes About Me Short Summary On Ralkovian Policies.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Zaras wrote:

Well, if we want to be technical, it'd be impossible for Iran to become like the Taliban, because they're Sunni extremists. :p

I get what you're trying to say, but was just objecting to the part about Iran not being a fully Islamist state. It absolutely is. if you want to say that Iran is a more beign Islamist state than, say, Saudi Arabia, then I agree wih you.

Yup, that was the thing.
Bythyrona wrote:
The bat in the middle commemmorates their crushing victory in the bloody Battle of Evermore, where the Communists were saved at the last minute by General "Black Dog" Bonham of the Rock 'n Roll Brigade detonating a levee armed with only four sticks and flooding the enemy encampment. He later retired with honours and went to live in California for the rest of his life before ascending to heaven.

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Zaras wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

It probably won't be. Iran is a special case. Iran was a secular state where most people had huge amounts of freedom. If the Islamists want to stay in power, they know they can't go clamping down on all the freedoms. Instead they'll just strip away your political rights and leave you with the civil ones.
Divair: this is the first time I've literally just stopped doing everything just to stare at a post.

BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk. :<
Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Zaras wrote:

It probably won't be. Iran is a special case. Iran was a secular state where most people had huge amounts of freedom. If the Islamists want to stay in power, they know they can't go clamping down on all the freedoms. Instead they'll just strip away your political rights and leave you with the civil ones.

Good civil freedoms and nonexistent political ones? Damn Islamists playing NationStates...
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Ralkovia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovia » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Zaras wrote:
Ralkovia wrote:

Good civil freedoms and nonexistent political ones? Damn Islamists playing NationStates...

Even those civil freedoms are just barely there. Where political and civil mix, Iran has a clampdown. Hence Gays=Death.

Releign wrote:

I think I will pass.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Ralkovia wrote:
Zaras wrote:

I never understood the separation between civil rights and political freedoms in NationStates, and I don't see how it's supposed to work in a RL country either.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:09 pm

She supports forced marriages, therefore I am against her. New low even for Labour.

http://www.dagsavisen.no/nyemeninger/al ... ost_255835
http://www.verdidebatt.no/debatt/cat12/ ... ost_321918
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Vecherd wrote:She supports forced marriages, therefore I am against her. New low even for Labour.

What's the big deal? She (or at least the Google translation) is saying that she views arranged marriages to be an legitimate alternative to modern ones. No biggie, it's not like she's going to force you to allow your parents to choose your husband/wife.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Vecherd wrote:She supports forced marriages, therefore I am against her. New low even for Labour.

What's the big deal? She (or at least the Google translation) is saying that she views arranged marriages to be an legitimate alternative to modern ones. No biggie, it's not like she's going to force you to allow your parents to choose your husband/wife.

No, I and the majority of the worlds population reject that stone age practice. To say it's a legitimate alternative to modern marriage is equal to saying that slavery is a legitimate alternative to modern democracy and freedom
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

No, I and the majority of the worlds population reject that stone age practice. To say it's a legitimate alternative to modern marriage is equal to saying that slavery is a legitimate alternative to modern democracy and freedom

How are arranged marriages in anyway comparable to slavery?
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Saruhan wrote:No, I and the majority of the worlds population reject that stone age practice. To say it's a legitimate alternative to modern marriage is equal to saying that slavery is a legitimate alternative to modern democracy and freedom

How are arrange marriages like slavery?

In slavery, a person is bound against their will to another person, and in arranged marriage a person is bound to another person against their will
Caninope wrote:The idea of Pakistan, India and Bangladesh reuniting is about as logical as the idea that Barack Obama will kill his wife, marry Ahmadinejad in a ceremony officiated by Mitt Romney during the 7th Inning Stretch of the Yankees-Red Sox game, and then the happy couple will then go challenge President Xi for the position of General Secretary of the CCP in a gladiatorial fight to the death involving roaches, slingshots, and hard candies.

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:
How are arrange marriages like slavery?

In slavery, a person is bound against their will to another person, and in arranged marriage a person is bound to another person against their will

You're thinking of forced marriages. Arranged marriages are when two parties consent to use a proxy (parents, matchmaking service, etc) to find a spouse.
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Discuss what, we should, hmm?
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:58 pm

I personally disagree with somebody of Pakistani origin being apointed as "culture" minister, but I guess it's a good path in combating Islamophobia and intolerance.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Saruhan
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Saruhan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Sulamalik wrote:
Saruhan wrote:In slavery, a person is bound against their will to another person, and in arranged marriage a person is bound to another person against their will

You're thinking of forced marriages. Arranged marriages are when two parties consent to use a proxy (parents, matchmaking service, etc) to find a spouse.

Do they then have the right to opt out of a match? Cause in a lot of societies where this is practiced (like India) it's mostly about family alliances and shit with the bride and groom not really getting much say in anything

Sulamalik
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Sulamalik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

Do they then have the right to opt out of a match? Cause in a lot of societies where this is practiced (like India) it's mostly about family alliances and shit with the bride and groom not really getting much say in anything

Modern arranged marriages (this is also the way it's practised in Pakistan) work like this:

The parents, by themselves or though a matchmaking service, approach another family and talk about the possibility of their two children marrying. If both families think that they'd be a good match, they arrange an introduction meeting between the two. From there, it's up to the kids to decide if they wish to pursue the relationship further. No one's forcing anyone to get married.

I mean really, the Minister is a human rights activist, do you really think she'd be in favour of forced marriages under the guise of arranged ones?
Last edited by Sulamalik on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Saruhan wrote:
Sulamalik wrote:

That's what marriage has been for a lot of history. The idea that marriage can be done for love is a fairly new one.
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

Khelshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khelshar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:22 am

Fedeledland wrote:I personally disagree with somebody of Pakistani origin being apointed as "culture" minister, but I guess it's a good path in combating Islamophobia and intolerance.

As long as she is not from Bergen, i'm happy... ;)
Nation under re-construction

Inertialism
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Inertialism » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:53 am

ANY country should appeal to its own citizens first then others. Nothing wrong with multiculturalism but its best to please the majority and to not pander to the minorities

Everbeek
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Everbeek » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:06 am

Inertialism wrote:ANY country should appeal to its own citizens first then others.
Where did you get the impression she is not a Norwegian citizen?
The Awesomeness Formerly Known As Campinia
Cromarty wrote:Antifa, the Internationale and the Red Fleet are encased in the largest glass house in existence, and they're not throwing stones, they're firing boulders from catapults.

Big Jim P wrote:
Everbeek wrote:I never say "for god's sake", I always say "for fuck's sake", for the rest I don't care much

Fucking created most of us, so fucking IS god.

Eat_aly
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eat_aly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:25 am

From one side I'm very pleased of the news:
- young minister
- woman
- muslim minister in Norway
An interesting answer and a strong government statement after what happened there vith Breivik, but...

From the other side the risk is that this could be just a mediatic show.

A real free democracy and society is where, for deciding a role in government, we don't care about gender or religion, but the only important thing are the skills and the experience of the candidate.

Nobody here is talking about her track, but the only interesting newspaper title is about the fact that she's Muslim.

Could be racism this too.

Gravlen
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 01, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Gravlen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:45 am

Unsurprisingly, both you and the former head of the Norwegian Defence League are wrong, since there's a difference between arranged marriages and forced marriages. As she points out, forced marriages are illegal under Norwegian law.
EnragedMaldivians wrote:That's preposterous. Gravlens's not a white nationalist; Gravlen's a penguin.

Unio de Sovetaj Socialismaj Respublikoj wrote:There is no use arguing the definition of murder with someone who has a picture of a penguin with a chainsaw as their nations flag.

Zaras
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Zaras » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 am

Eat_aly wrote:A real free democracy and society is where, for deciding a role in government, we don't care about gender or religion, but the only important thing are the skills and the experience of the candidate.

We haven't reached that ideal society yet. :(
Bythyrona wrote:

Factbook
ADS, UDL, GFN member

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General