NATION

PASSWORD

Monkeys get vaccinated, then get autism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neo topia
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Monkeys get vaccinated, then get autism

Postby Neo topia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 pm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/107993.php

I was looking around here and it seems like no one believes that vaccines cause autism, so what do you all say to this? Medicalnewstoday isn't an alternative medicine site (take a quick look around) and the sturdy was conducted by the University of Pittsburgh and endorsed by by the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

The article mentions that

"Safety studies of medicines are typically conducted in monkeys prior to use in humans, yet such basic research on the current childhood vaccination regimen has never before been done."

Why is this? The whole thing seems very suspicious to me...if this can happen to monkeys, then why not humans and are they covering something up by not doing the tests regular drugs/medicine undergoes.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 pm

God I hope you stay.
Last edited by Choronzon on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

United State of America
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United State of America » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Humans are autismal as fuck regardless. I think a more important question is if humans would become double autistic or something.

People who think I'm being serious are twits.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Cite peer reviewed papers or not at all.
Scientific and medical news outlets are prone to sensationalism.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=vac ... CBgQgQMwAA
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:Cite peer reviewed papers or not at all.

This ^ and even if they do cause autism what's worse? Some autistic kids or an epidemic of an easily preventable disease caused by people freaking out over vaccines.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Neo topia wrote:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/107993.php

I was looking around here and it seems like no one believes that vaccines cause autism, so what do you all say to this? Medicalnewstoday isn't an alternative medicine site (take a quick look around) and the sturdy was conducted by the University of Pittsburgh and endorsed by by the CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics.

The article mentions that

"Safety studies of medicines are typically conducted in monkeys prior to use in humans, yet such basic research on the current childhood vaccination regimen has never before been done."

Why is this? The whole thing seems very suspicious to me...if this can happen to monkeys, then why not humans and are they covering something up by not doing the tests regular drugs/medicine undergoes.

I would need to see the study itself before making an opinion. Also, I would be very surprised if there really was no testing done on vaccines before they are actually used.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Cite peer reviewed papers or not at all.

This ^ and even if they do cause autism what's worse? Some autistic kids or an epidemic of an easily preventable disease caused by people freaking out over vaccines.

If it caused autism wouldn't it be way more prevalent?

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Vaccines cause 'autism-like behaviour' in monkeys? How on Earth do you quantify behaviour as 'autism-like' in monkeys? Judging from the article, it doesn't sound like a very sound study at all.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 pm

How come no one has pointed out that humans and monkeys having many clear differences might be a factor? Things like AIDS and other illnesses work differently on humans and monkeys, so why should we assume that a vaccine made for a human would work on a monkey?

Also, can monkeys really get autism?

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Avenio wrote:Vaccines cause 'autism-like behaviour' in monkeys? How on Earth do you quantify behaviour as 'autism-like' in monkeys? Judging from the article, it doesn't sound like a very sound study at all.

It'd be fairly simple to test for. There are a number of tells that autistic children give in early development stages if you look out for them.
I'm unsure if these would manifest the same in Monkeys however.
Includes limpness when picked up to hug, agitation with loud noises bordering on temper tantrums, and a few others.
They are by no means definitive, but it's something of a red flag.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm

EDIT: Weird. Doublepost.
Last edited by Avenio on Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm

If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 pm

I don't really care if vaccines cause autism. I'd rather a kid be autistic than dying.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Even if vaccines did cause autism (they don't), the relative incidence of it compared to the enormous number of lives saved by universal vaccination would greatly outweigh such a side effect. Herd immunity gaiz, it's important.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Postby Ostroeuropa » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:47 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Even if vaccines did cause autism (they don't), the relative incidence of it compared to the enormous number of lives saved by universal vaccination would greatly outweigh such a side effect. Herd immunity gaiz, it's important.

This.
Plus, if we renew efforts and start wiping out diseases again like we did with smallpox, the cost of vaccinations causing autism (Which they don't, but for the sake of argument.) wouldn't be a grim price we pay knowing we're getting the better deal with 1/150 autsitic kids than 1/100 dead ones, it's be "So for a few generations incidents increase, and then forever everything is ok.

(Incidentally, whenever the religious right tell people not to make vaccinations my urge to straight up declare them as a threat to humanity and herd them into camps is very hard to resist. If you've ever argued along these lines, I'd like to point out to you that we ALMOST got rid of polio as a disease, and then...islamic clerics in the middle east/central asia decided it was a western plot to sterilize all the non-whites. BAM. polio is back. If you had to think of how to cause the most amount of suffering with the fewest words, you couldn't get much further than "These vaccinations are a conspiracy.")
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Andrew bloody Wakefield raises his ugly head once more....good find Xsyne!
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm

United State of America wrote:Humans are autismal as fuck regardless. I think a more important question is if humans would become double autistic or something.

People who think I'm being serious are twits.

My dad, as a teacher, has worked with a lot of autistic and other kids with similar conditions. He reckons everyone is on the autistic spectrum to one level or another, it's all a matter of scale.

Of course, he has no evidence to back this up, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

I keep mistaking your flag - and by extension you - for AuSable. Then I get confused by your talking sense.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

The Andrewtopian Republic
Envoy

Founded: Feb 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andrewtopian Republic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Didn't they discover a while back that autism was caused by a genetic defect? I don't think it's possible for vaccinations to alter a person's genetic makeup.

If this is the case though (well actually either way), I'd be curious to see what influences the severity of the autism. Autistic people do range from a mild social disability to not being able talk or move, however.
Fiscal/economic - left
Social - strong libertarian
Foreign policy - Libertarian
capital city weather: http://solm.me/udl/weather/img/deloera_ ... n_rep..png

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

So, nothing new on this front in four years?
It's almost as if that study was poorly worked biased nonsense.

Oh look, it was.

Hockenberg
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hockenberg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Even if vaccines did cause autism (they don't), the relative incidence of it compared to the enormous number of lives saved by universal vaccination would greatly outweigh such a side effect. Herd immunity gaiz, it's important.
This.
My nation's laws. | Nation (mostly) reflects RL beliefs. | My YouTube channel
I am: F1 Reject, anti-monarchist, agnostic atheist, pacifist, pro-choice (though I hate that term), pro-universal healthcare, occasional troll, male, straight, anti-gun nut (not nessecarily pro-gun control) and anti-marriage

Ad Nihilo
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ad Nihilo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Don't we have like a shortage of science people? I reckon we could probably do with more autism ;)

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:59 pm

if polio was good enough for FDR, polio is good enough for you.

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm

a). Monkeys can get autism? How can people tell? Do we know all about monkey language and social structure?

b). Not this bullshit again. Your child will not get "infected" with autism by getting a potentially lifesaving vaccine.

Getting autism isn't a freakin' pandemic. It's basically just one of the more-benign wedges of the "ambiguous-origin defect roulette" wheel. Your kid is very socially awkward and doesn't do well with language? Consider yourself freakin' lucky. They could have been born without legs or get some nasty lung defect or something. Of course this is all assuming the kid is "normal" autism. If you got HFA or Asperger's, then double that luckiness factor.

If the kid is both autistic and congenitally disabled, then sorry. I'm assuming you're in a microscopic minority, of course.
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

I hate threads like this where the starter just dumps an OP and runs off.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Free Soviets wrote:

if polio was good enough for FDR, polio is good enough for you.

Relevant
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General