NATION

PASSWORD

New forum offense: Trollnaming

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19987
Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 pm

No endorse wrote:Does anyone else here think that "trollnaming" is a creepily doublethink name? If it's flaming why not just call it flaming?

I respect the goals of the rule here, (though a rose by any other name....) but, the name is kind of creepy.

It's a very specific subset, imo.
It's has a whole other series of connotations to me.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

User avatar
Smartass alcoholics
Diplomat
 
Posts: 976
Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Smartass alcoholics » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:00 pm

It's getting very hard to debate with a particularly stubborn person and not think "is this guy trolling, or am i not making a good argument?"
Most of the time he's just messing with me, but sometimes i have to refine my way of typing out thoughts. It gets a bit frustrating.
Nation RP details: United Dominion of Caustancia
Leader: Ketsueki Maru
Current RPing military officials:
-Captain Nile Skorge
-Commander Connor Jakoby
-Warrant Officer Selena Polaski

"When life gives you lemons, ask it for lemonade instead"

User avatar
Reploid Productions
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 25965
Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Reploid Productions » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Smartass alcoholics wrote:It's getting very hard to debate with a particularly stubborn person and not think "is this guy trolling, or am i not making a good argument?"
Most of the time he's just messing with me, but sometimes i have to refine my way of typing out thoughts. It gets a bit frustrating.

Well, if you have reason to suspect he is "just messing with you" (aka possibly trolling), then file a report in Moderation and one of us can take a look. Calling "Troll!" in a thread doesn't contribute to a discussion nor does it bring mod attention to the potential problem.
Forum mod since May 8, 2003 -- Game mod since May 19, 2003
Reppy's DoGA FAQ - For those using DoGA to make their NS military and such
One Stop Rules Shop -- Reppy's Sig Workshop -- Getting Help Page
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Ifreann wrote:Bring Reppy your signet rings, she is our Brony Queen now!

I believe in the magic of friendship, the wholly awesome bronydom, the conventions of fans,
the forgiveness of haters, the resurrection of faith in humanity, and love everlasting.

In nomine poni, et filly, et spiritus stable.
Char Aznable/Giant Meteor 2020! - Forcing humanity to move into space and progress whether we goddamn want to or not!

User avatar
Phaggotnygger
Civilian
 
Posts: 1
Founded: Dec 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phaggotnygger » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:26 pm

You've gotta be kidding me.

User avatar
Smartass alcoholics
Diplomat
 
Posts: 976
Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Smartass alcoholics » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 am

Reploid Productions wrote:
Smartass alcoholics wrote:It's getting very hard to debate with a particularly stubborn person and not think "is this guy trolling, or am i not making a good argument?"
Most of the time he's just messing with me, but sometimes i have to refine my way of typing out thoughts. It gets a bit frustrating.

Well, if you have reason to suspect he is "just messing with you" (aka possibly trolling), then file a report in Moderation and one of us can take a look. Calling "Troll!" in a thread doesn't contribute to a discussion nor does it bring mod attention to the potential problem.

I know, but its kinda my way to gnaw at something until i can't tell what it is anymore. I don't go around throwing "Troll!" or "Flame!" whenever i want xD
Nation RP details: United Dominion of Caustancia
Leader: Ketsueki Maru
Current RPing military officials:
-Captain Nile Skorge
-Commander Connor Jakoby
-Warrant Officer Selena Polaski

"When life gives you lemons, ask it for lemonade instead"

User avatar
Neo Art
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14258
Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 am

You know, nearly three months in to this ruling, I have to retract my earlier criticism of it. I now see that the warnings for "trollnaming" that were handed out, officially and unofficially, were utterly justified.

I now understand how calling someone "troll" could be considered disruptive to serious, honest, and willing discussion, and as such, significantly hampered the productive discussion by such members as Objectiveland, The Mongol Ilkhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss. What an utter injustice it was to call these fine, upstanding, serious discussion having pillars of the NSG community such base, crass, disgusting things as "trolls", and what a righteous and utterly justified set of rules it was that prevented people from calling Objectiveland, the Mongol Ikhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss "trolls". And the warnings people received for calling Objectiveland, the Mongol Ikhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss "trolls" was in no way what so ever spurious and nonsensical.

Indeed, and I say this without a hint of irony, they are shining examples of what NSG is today.
Last edited by Neo Art on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

User avatar
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27722
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 am

This thread was a sticky once, wasn't it? An Announcement even?

And it's been set loose in General ...

:hug:

The rule mostly affects posters to General.

If the thread has been set loose here to solicit opinion about the rule itself: let me say that I do not approve of the rule.

I spoke in favour of instituting the rule (or something like it).

I'm so embarrassed I can't bear to read it.

I have changed my mind.

And I demand a poll. :rofl:
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

User avatar
Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8325
Founded: Dec 06, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:52 am

Neo Art wrote:what a righteous and utterly justified set of rules it was that prevented people from calling Objectiveland, the Mongol Ikhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss "trolls"

Nothing prevented anyone from calling them trolls on the Moderation board, the result of which is the absence of these people from the present board.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!


A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

User avatar
AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 27722
Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:54 am

Neo Art wrote:You know, nearly three months in to this ruling, I have to retract my earlier criticism of it. I now see that the warnings for "trollnaming" that were handed out, officially and unofficially, were utterly justified.

I now understand how calling someone "troll" could be considered disruptive to serious, honest, and willing discussion, and as such, significantly hampered the productive discussion by such members as Objectiveland, The Mongol Ilkhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss. What an utter injustice it was to call these fine, upstanding, serious discussion having pillars of the NSG community such base, crass, disgusting things as "trolls", and what a righteous and utterly justified set of rules it was that prevented people from calling Objectiveland, the Mongol Ikhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss "trolls". And the warnings people received for calling Objectiveland, the Mongol Ikhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss "trolls" was in no way what so ever spurious and nonsensical.

Indeed, and I say this without a hint of irony, they are shining examples of what NSG is today.


I want some of what you're smoking.

It's irony you say? Well pass it around and fire it up for me. Bogart.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

User avatar
Neo Art
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14258
Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:59 am

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Neo Art wrote:what a righteous and utterly justified set of rules it was that prevented people from calling Objectiveland, the Mongol Ikhanate, Tamriela and Ikarouss "trolls"

Nothing prevented anyone from calling them trolls on the Moderation board, the result of which is the absence of these people from the present board.


Indeed, those warnings must have been justified, and those four shining pillars of the NSG community being, in no way trolling, otherwise we've entered the realm of absurd, for warning people for "trollnaming" people who were, in fact, deleted for trolling (ok, well, one was for posting past a mere BAN for trolling). Because that would mean that moderators are handing out warnings for trollnaming ACTUAL trolls.

Which was the point of the "trollnaming" rule right, that calling people "troll" was disrupting actual legitimate conversation? Because the "in no way troll" posters above, were really trully interested in having serious conversation. So warning people for trolling trolls would mean they were warning people for "disrupting the serious conversation" of people who, by their own admission, weren't interested in having serious discussion.


And that would just be stupid.

So I'm sure that's not the case. After all, if that were a concern, I'm sure somebody would have predicted it three months ago, when this thread was active :roll:
Last edited by Neo Art on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

User avatar
Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8325
Founded: Dec 06, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am

Neo Art wrote:*snip*

The usefulness of naming trolls on the General board is exceeded only by the usefulness of lengthy rants about the usefulness of naming trolls.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!


A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

User avatar
Neo Art
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14258
Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:14 am

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Neo Art wrote:*snip*

The usefulness of naming trolls on the General board is exceeded only by the usefulness of lengthy rants about the usefulness of naming trolls.


I have always considered myself an extraordinarily useful individual, and I'm glad to see you're finally coming around to the truth of that.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

User avatar
Galloism
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 61455
Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 am

Neo Art wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:The usefulness of naming trolls on the General board is exceeded only by the usefulness of lengthy rants about the usefulness of naming trolls.


I have always considered myself an extraordinarily useful individual, and I'm glad to see you're finally coming around to the truth of that.

There's a lawyer joke in there somewhere.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.


User avatar
Ethel mermania
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 98243
Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 am

Neo Art wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:The usefulness of naming trolls on the General board is exceeded only by the usefulness of lengthy rants about the usefulness of naming trolls.


I have always considered myself an extraordinarily useful individual, and I'm glad to see you're finally coming around to the truth of that.


it is importance to have confidence in this world.
*nods*
The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.

http://www.salientpartners.com/epsilont ... ilizations

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16757
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Ailiailia wrote:This thread was a sticky once, wasn't it? An Announcement even?

And it's been set loose in General ...

:hug:

The rule mostly affects posters to General.

If the thread has been set loose here to solicit opinion about the rule itself: let me say that I do not approve of the rule.

I spoke in favour of instituting the rule (or something like it).

I'm so embarrassed I can't bear to read it.

I have changed my mind.

And I demand a poll. :rofl:


Really?

It is so much better now that one doesn't have to read endless pages of "troll". On the other hand, the endless pages of "you're wrong" are that much more noticeable.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

On hiatus. Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

User avatar
TomKirk
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1356
Founded: May 08, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby TomKirk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neo Art wrote:
I have always considered myself an extraordinarily useful individual, and I'm glad to see you're finally coming around to the truth of that.


it is importance to have confidence in this world.
*nods*

Maybe we should have a rule against lawyer-naming. Many people do consider "lawyer" to be a flame, after all. Since, as Neo points out, it is no defense against a trollnaming charge that the person you named has in fact been officially ruled a troll, it would be against the rules to call Neo a lawyer, even though he in fact is a lawyer.
[puppet of Tmutarakhan]
YoLandII: " How is mutation natural? Just because it occurs in nature doesn't mean it's natural. It is not supposed to happen. It is accidental."
Salamanstrom: "Saying it is wrong since it calls it something that was used then is stupid. It's like saying a guy from the 1800s is stupid since he calls an ipod a radio."
Lunatic Goofballs: "The shoe is the pie of the Middle East. The poor bastards."

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16757
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm

TomKirk wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
it is importance to have confidence in this world.
*nods*

Maybe we should have a rule against lawyer-naming. Many people do consider "lawyer" to be a flame, after all. Since, as Neo points out, it is no defense against a trollnaming charge that the person you named has in fact been officially ruled a troll, it would be against the rules to call Neo a lawyer, even though he in fact is a lawyer.


Lawyers are also popularly viewed as outstanding members of society. It is defence attornies like Massingbird who are disliked.

The point of outlawing trollnaming is that even though a thread may have trollish origins it can still spark decent discussion. However, that is very difficult when you get a bunch of uncoperative nations whose total contribution can be summed up as "calling other nations trolls."

Really, it is also an extension of the "mod impersonation" rule. The reason being a lot of the people called trolls prior to the trollnaming rule's introduction weren't trolls. Here is the most ridiculous example I can remember. And that is why this rule is needed.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

On hiatus. Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

User avatar
Xomic
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1308
Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Xomic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Forsher wrote:
TomKirk wrote:Maybe we should have a rule against lawyer-naming. Many people do consider "lawyer" to be a flame, after all. Since, as Neo points out, it is no defense against a trollnaming charge that the person you named has in fact been officially ruled a troll, it would be against the rules to call Neo a lawyer, even though he in fact is a lawyer.


Lawyers are also popularly viewed as outstanding members of society. It is defence attornies like Massingbird who are disliked.

The point of outlawing trollnaming is that even though a thread may have trollish origins it can still spark decent discussion. However, that is very difficult when you get a bunch of uncoperative nations whose total contribution can be summed up as "calling other nations trolls."

Really, it is also an extension of the "mod impersonation" rule. The reason being a lot of the people called trolls prior to the trollnaming rule's introduction weren't trolls. Here is the most ridiculous example I can remember. And that is why this rule is needed.


But... surely if a thread, even if it was started by an opening poster by someone with less than good intentions, is going to spark an interesting and valuable discussion, it's going to do so regardless of whether or not the opening poster is called a troll or is holding a troll position? If anything, by restricting "trollnaming" to filing a report in the mod forum, it's only going to increase the chance that these potentially interesting threads are going to be shut down and locked.

I mean, in a majority of threads I see in NSG, the first few responses are rarely substantive or contribute anything significant to the thread anyway, it's only until half way down the page, or deeper, into the thread do you tend to see content that actually is substantive or holds an argument or contributes or whatever you want to call it.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16757
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Xomic wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Lawyers are also popularly viewed as outstanding members of society. It is defence attornies like Massingbird who are disliked.

The point of outlawing trollnaming is that even though a thread may have trollish origins it can still spark decent discussion. However, that is very difficult when you get a bunch of uncoperative nations whose total contribution can be summed up as "calling other nations trolls."

Really, it is also an extension of the "mod impersonation" rule. The reason being a lot of the people called trolls prior to the trollnaming rule's introduction weren't trolls. Here is the most ridiculous example I can remember. And that is why this rule is needed.


But... surely if a thread, even if it was started by an opening poster by someone with less than good intentions, is going to spark an interesting and valuable discussion, it's going to do so regardless of whether or not the opening poster is called a troll or is holding a troll position?


Most threads do not get off the ground. A good thread needs on topic exchange of ideas and trollnaming is inherently anti-exchange. The only exchange possible is contesting the accuracy of the accusation, which isn't the topic itself. That means the trollnamers must be crushed by the sheer force of decent posters. However, that doesn't happen because trollnaming snowballs. One person does it and then there's a whole lot of people who agree and imitate of go "^this" or "/thread" which is even more anti-exchange than trollnaming itself.

There are a heap of really good threads that don't get off the ground purely because not enough people disagree with the OP. Ever seen a pro-life abortion thread OP?

If anything, by restricting "trollnaming" to filing a report in the mod forum, it's only going to increase the chance that these potentially interesting threads are going to be shut down and locked.


Not really. As I've said before most trollnamers are wrong. They are simply trying to shut up the opposing viewpoint. No trolling is actually reported. This is why there was no massive spike in moderation reports for trolling post-introduction. I compared "troll" to "you're wrong" earlier and the latter replaced the former, not moderation reports. And the latter was already "troll" for those who didn't trollname.

I mean, in a majority of threads I see in NSG, the first few responses are rarely substantive or contribute anything significant to the thread anyway, it's only until half way down the page, or deeper, into the thread do you tend to see content that actually is substantive or holds an argument or contributes or whatever you want to call it.


Yes. But a lot of threads can be described as this poster versus that poster. Likewise, pages of "troll" are off-putting and buries posts that are pro-exchange which limits a thread.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

On hiatus. Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

User avatar
Forsher
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16757
Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Forsher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:00 pm

That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

On hiatus. Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

User avatar
Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 26053
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Yes, yes, all very cute, and I'm sure we're all terribly amused by the usual missing of points in order to try and score some for oneselves.

If players hadn't been dodging discussion IN FAVOR OF simply screaming 'troll', pointing, and flailing about, it wouldn't have become an issue. I don't think any one of us denies that some players do indeed troll. Nor that there are some who intend to do nothing but that. Let us not be disingenuous in our assessment of the situation, folks.

It had become a problem. We do not in fact warn everyone who dares utter the word 'troll'. We do continue to warn folks for trolling. Players are capable, we think, of knowing the difference between suggesting a player is trolling when making a moderation report, and resorting to 'lol trolz' responses in lieu of 'I think you are wrong and this is why' options.

Keep Calm, and Carry On.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Absolon-7, Bombadil, Emulation White, Evil Dictators Happyland, Forumland, Gormwood, Hong Kong People, Ifreann, Kopanapatti, Mageek, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot], Necroghastia, Perchan, San Montalbano, Shrillland, Telconi, The Black Forrest, Totenborg, Tuthina, Uiiop

Advertisement

Remove ads