NATION

PASSWORD

The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you want to win?

President Barack Obama
42%
Governor Mitt Romney
18%
A third party candidate
18%
Who cares and/or I ain't American
7%
It doesn't matter as the Mods are gonna launch their coup any time now and I for one welcome our Modly overlords
14%

Total votes : 1009

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

The Archregimancy wrote:I just feel vaguely unclean now.

Heresy grows from idleness.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Elect

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:I just remember my first thought when I heard that they were practicing 'zingers':

"Who the fuck says 'zingers' anymore?"

Captain America does. And if it is good enough for Steve Rogers, it damn well is good enough for you.

I'm going to have someone standing by on Wednesday night to rush me to the hospital just in case I split my gut open laughing.

Of course, it will have to be the emergency room, because I don't have insurance. But Mitt says that's just fine, so I think I'll mail him the bill.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:17 am

Wamitoria wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Captain America does.

But he's a product of the '40s. He has an excuse.

thatwasthejoke.avi

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:But he's a product of the '40s. He has an excuse.

thatwasthejoke.avi

ihavenosenseofhumor.jpg
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Sane Outcasts wrote:The skit I see involves Romney suddenly denouncing his positions when he's allowed to talk, cackling madly as he endorses state-run healthcare, abortion, and gay marriage. When the gasps from the audience die down and the moderator manages to ask Mitt why he would stage such a sudden reversal, Romney would peel off the latex face mask he's been wearing the whole time and reveal that he's really...

Mitt Romney from the late '90's/early '00's, the RINO governor that created a working model for Obamacare! *dun-dun-dunnnn*

with the only difference in the way he looks being the lack of gray in his hair?

Depends...is he facing a Latino only audience?
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 am

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

They've got the Chamber of Commerce running them now.
Last edited by Wamitoria on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

Why am I not hearing such scandals from the Democrats side? It's like the right-wingers in this country are turning into comic book villains.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 am

Wamitoria wrote:

Let me enjoy my moment of happiness dammit!

I wonder how well the CoC will do as far as taking over. I hope they'll be less illegally partisan.
Last edited by Khadgar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:24 am

Khadgar wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:They've got the Chamber of Commerce running them now.

I wonder how well the CoC will do as far as taking over. I hope they'll be less illegally partisan.

Your hint is in the acronym for the organization.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:38 am

Khadgar wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:They've got the Chamber of Commerce running them now.

It still bugs me that the CoC is somehow thought of as a governmental organ...rather than what it is....a republican front.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:38 am

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:
Khadgar wrote:

It still bugs me that the CoC is somehow thought of as a governmental organ...rather than what it is....a republican front.

I see what you did there.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

I see what you did there.

I couldn't resist... 8)

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:I see what you did there.

I couldn't resist... 8)

You didn't feel disgusted that a Republican apparatus used the initials C.O.C.?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Feral Feline Friends
Secretary

Founded: Sep 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feral Feline Friends » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm

[/quote]
[Citation Needed][/quote]

Obama is a conservative, that's just a fact. Obama, Bush, Clinton, Romney ... they don't diverge very much from each other at all. Obama is happy just to let the GOP move the bar further to the right as he tries to out-Republican the Republicans:

1. Extended the Patriot Act

2. Obama has supported indefinite detention without trial

3. Obama's administration tries to spin the civilian death count on drones, much like Bush's administration. (Obama, like most Americans, believes that as long as it isn't white Anglos being killed, that everything is A-OK)

4. Obama is in the pocket of the oil industry.

5. Has protected the Bush administration in regards to torture.

6. Has deported more people than Bush in order to win over white conservatives (while at the same time distancing himself from liberals.)

7. Has out-Bushed Bush in regards to executions without trial.

8. Marches lock-in-step with Democrats (who don't diverge with Republicans) as far as Israel goes.

9. Supports the "states' right" position on gay marriage, thereby supporting the states' ability to ban it.

10. Has continued supporting the failed ideal of "free trade."

That's just about 15 minutes of digging. But, I make my point. You're not getting much of a difference from Bush when it comes with Obama, as with Bush not being much different from Clinton or Clinton from Bush I. They all pretty much support the same policies. Their arguments are essentially "I agree with my opponent, but he goes too far" and "I agree with my opponent, but he doesn't go far enough."

But, I'm sure I'll just get more insults and whining from people who are caught up in the stage show that is American politics where everything that's accomplished seems to favor rich white gringos, while leaving everyone else in the dirt.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Gauthier wrote:
I couldn't resist... 8)

I'm just surprised they didn't add a "Key-stone" or something on their to finish out the Freudian motif they usually have going on.

Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Gauthier wrote:
I couldn't resist... 8)

Honestly nothing the Republicans do these days can disgust me further...my immediate default setting is disgust when it comes to the GOP...

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm

Wamitoria wrote:

It's like they don't want to even pretend they're not Big Business' bought-and-paid-for lawmakers anymore.

Frankly, that'd make a great attack ad line, I think:

"X can't even run his/her own voter outreach programs, so s/he contracts it out to Wall Street so s/he has more time to advance Wall Street's agenda in Washington. Send Wall Street a message, and dump X!"
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Feral Feline Friends
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Feral Feline Friends » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:46 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:
It's like they don't want to even pretend they're not Big Business' bought-and-paid-for lawmakers anymore.

Unfortunately, America was founded to protect the wealth and property (which includes slaves) of wealthy white landowners. It largely remains the same. To catch up to the rest of the First World, America would have to retire its constitution and write one based on Human Rights.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Feral Feline Friends wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

Unfortunately, America was founded to protect the wealth and property (which includes slaves) of wealthy white landowners. It largely remains the same. To catch up to the rest of the First World, America would have to retire its constitution and write one based on Human Rights.

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

Feral Feline Friends
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Feral Feline Friends » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Feral Feline Friends wrote:Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

Are you saying that America's system isn't geared toward favoring the wealthy over the not-so-wealthy?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Gauthier wrote:

Honestly nothing the Republicans do these days can disgust me further...my immediate default setting is disgust when it comes to the GOP...

Cthulhu (R)
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

Are you saying that America's system isn't geared toward favoring the wealthy over the not-so-wealthy?

I'm saying that it is a global problem, and not unique to the US in any way, shape, form, flavor, or color.

Feral Feline Friends
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Feral Feline Friends » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:57 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Feral Feline Friends wrote:I'm saying that it is a global problem, and not unique to the US in any way, shape, form, flavor, or color.

So? That doesn't matter if the US Constitution pretty much institutionalized it from the beginning. Anyway, you don't see money playing a huge part in the election of most other first-world nations as you do in the US. Canada, the UK, the EU countries, Japan, etc. have restrictions and this has allowed for greater diversity in representation ... unlike the US where the choice is center-right and far-right.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:

So? That doesn't matter if the US Constitution pretty much institutionalized it from the beginning. Anyway, you don't see money playing a huge part in the election of most other first-world nations as you do in the US. Canada, the UK, the EU countries, Japan, etc. have restrictions and this has allowed for greater diversity in representation ... unlike the US where the choice is center-right and far-right.

So, you clearly don't have a problem with money being used to buy political power anywhere but the US. Meaning you're either a hipster, or uneducated about the effects of most of the systems in the world. Japanese political influence has long come from the barrel of a wallet. Britain has suffered from big business buying political favors for as long as the US has been a country, as has Australia (Look at Rupert Murdoch). No one here is saying this is a wonderful good, but we're also not going to sit here and pretend that America is alone in this situation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General