NATION

PASSWORD

The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you want to win?

President Barack Obama
42%
Governor Mitt Romney
18%
A third party candidate
18%
Who cares and/or I ain't American
7%
It doesn't matter as the Mods are gonna launch their coup any time now and I for one welcome our Modly overlords
14%

Total votes : 1009

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Elect

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 am

Revolutopia wrote:Oh no, Obama is done for with this new winning strategy that Romney campaign has in the secret works to ensure his victory in the presidential debates. They have been planning clever zingers to throw at the president, and we all know the tremendous success that Romney has when telling jokes.

Truly, the Obama campaign won't be able to withstand this new and devastating strategy being pushed by those dastardly fiends at the Romney headquarters.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2012/09/29/mitt-romneys-secret-debate-weapon-zingers

On behalf of Joe Scarborough, I have only one thing to say:

"Oh, Sweet Jesus..."
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:21 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:Oh no, Obama is done for with this new winning strategy that Romney campaign has in the secret works to ensure his victory in the presidential debates. They have been planning clever zingers to throw at the president, and we all know the tremendous success that Romney has when telling jokes.

Truly, the Obama campaign won't be able to withstand this new and devastating strategy being pushed by those dastardly fiends at the Romney headquarters.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2012/09/29/mitt-romneys-secret-debate-weapon-zingers

"Oh, Sweet Jesus..."

I really hope he uses the "There you go again" line, as if I was Obama I would respond by feigning disappointment in how Romney has to rely on Reagan quotes from 1980 and then mention how it is not all that surprising as that was the last time the Republicans had any fresh ideas.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:33 am

Revolutopia wrote:I really hope he uses the "There you go again" line, as if I was Obama I would respond by feigning disappointment in how Romney has to rely on Reagan quotes from 1980 and then mention how it is not all that surprising as that was the last time the Republicans had any fresh ideas.

"I suppose you spent all week working on that, instead of fixing the math in your budget."
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 am

Ohhhhhhhh. So it's liberal media bias that is making Mitt look bad.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... edia-bias/

Will this trite excuse never end?

I do like the typical response to requests of such claims.

"Asked to cite a specific example of media bias, Ryan demurred, instead asserting that most people who work in the media have liberal political affiliations and, therefore, would want a president who is a Democrat to win."

Seriously?

I guess if the cop is white he has a different set of rules for non-whites.......

This campaign is somewhat embarrassing and I am looking forward to November where we don't have to read about it anymore.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:44 am

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm keen to see.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:47 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm keen to see.

Well? He needs the zingers because he his going to parrot his old lines.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... ?hpt=hp_t2
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 am

Evraim wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
source for what? the source for the rolling stone article is the rolling stone article. if you disagree with their analysis of the republican/romney agenda feel free to say why.

I meant that the Rolling Stone article really didn't present anything meaningful. All it did was rehash Democratic talking points without providing evidence or citing any particular examples of Republican legislation (and the Ryan budget really doesn't count when one considers how imprecise it is).

you probably ought to read it again unless you need them to list all the specific instances of repealing obamacare.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:23 am

i roll my eyes at obama supporters who assume that romney will wither in the face of obama's superior debating skills BUT i cant help but hope for a series of misplaced zingers that will make romney look a bit crazy/senile. i guess its the SNL fan in me. i can see the skit in my minds eye.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:

"Oh, Sweet Jesus..."

'i am watching morning joe this morning and it seems that the conservative twitterverse decided that the scarborough team altered the romney clip that provoked that "oh sweet jesus" photo.

it is so pathetic when one side looks to stupid conspiracy theories to explain away their candidates flaws.
whatever

Sane Outcasts
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sane Outcasts » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 am

Ashmoria wrote:

i roll my eyes at obama supporters who assume that romney will wither in the face of obama's superior debating skills BUT i cant help but hope for a series of misplaced zingers that will make romney look a bit crazy/senile. i guess its the SNL fan in me. i can see the skit in my minds eye.

The skit I see involves Romney suddenly denouncing his positions when he's allowed to talk, cackling madly as he endorses state-run healthcare, abortion, and gay marriage. When the gasps from the audience die down and the moderator manages to ask Mitt why he would stage such a sudden reversal, Romney would peel off the latex face mask he's been wearing the whole time and reveal that he's really...

Mitt Romney from the late '90's/early '00's, the RINO governor that created a working model for Obamacare! *dun-dun-dunnnn*

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:33 am

Sane Outcasts wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

The skit I see involves Romney suddenly denouncing his positions when he's allowed to talk, cackling madly as he endorses state-run healthcare, abortion, and gay marriage. When the gasps from the audience die down and the moderator manages to ask Mitt why he would stage such a sudden reversal, Romney would peel off the latex face mask he's been wearing the whole time and reveal that he's really...

Mitt Romney from the late '90's/early '00's, the RINO governor that created a working model for Obamacare! *dun-dun-dunnnn*

with the only difference in the way he looks being the lack of gray in his hair?
whatever

Sane Outcasts
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 19, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Sane Outcasts » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:40 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Sane Outcasts wrote:The skit I see involves Romney suddenly denouncing his positions when he's allowed to talk, cackling madly as he endorses state-run healthcare, abortion, and gay marriage. When the gasps from the audience die down and the moderator manages to ask Mitt why he would stage such a sudden reversal, Romney would peel off the latex face mask he's been wearing the whole time and reveal that he's really...

with the only difference in the way he looks being the lack of gray in his hair?

Yes, along with an evil goatee because even the true Mitt is incredibly cliche.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:54 am

Sane Outcasts wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Yes, along with an evil goatee because even the true Mitt is incredibly cliche.

lol

yes i can see it perfectly.
whatever

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:

"Oh, Sweet Jesus..."

Did you hear about Limbaugh's claim that the crowd was actually chanting "Romney" and Romney was trying to get them to cheer for Ryan as well? My dad bought it even after watching the video.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:On behalf of Joe Scarborough, I have only one thing to say:

"Oh, Sweet Jesus..."

Did you hear about Limbaugh's claim that the crowd was actually chanting "Romney" and Romney was trying to get them to cheer for Ryan as well? My dad bought it even after watching the video.

it sounded to me like most people were chanting "ryan, ryan" wth a few chanting "romney, romney" so mitt getting everyone to chant both names makes better sense than him getting them to add his name in at all.

but the audio was from far enough away from the "romney" chanters (if any) that its impossible to tell if that is what happened. romney was satisfied with the new chant in any case. so some took it up even though it sounds feeble and lame on the video.

but most who can be heard were chanting "ryan" not "romney".
whatever

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:On behalf of Joe Scarborough, I have only one thing to say:

"Oh, Sweet Jesus..."

Was this before or after the claim that Obama is secretly bringing in Muslim Brotherhood operatives, or the notion that feminists have clandestinely chemically castrated him over the years..or (insert other wild-ass psycho-revisionist conspiracy here)
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:30 am

Northern Dominus wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Did you hear about Limbaugh's claim that the crowd was actually chanting "Romney" and Romney was trying to get them to cheer for Ryan as well? My dad bought it even after watching the video.
Was this before or after the claim that Obama is secretly bringing in Muslim Brotherhood operatives, or the notion that feminists have clandestinely chemically castrated him over the years..or (insert other wild-ass psycho-revisionist conspiracy here)

It was Friday.

So, could go either way, really.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Northern Dominus wrote: Was this before or after the claim that Obama is secretly bringing in Muslim Brotherhood operatives, or the notion that feminists have clandestinely chemically castrated him over the years..or (insert other wild-ass psycho-revisionist conspiracy here)

It was Friday.

So, could go either way, really.
Oh yeah, friday is the conspiracy lab day. The day where all the psycho-right propaganda machines float conspiracy theories out into the public to see which one is still bobbing along on monday.
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here

Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

The Archregimancy
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 01, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Archregimancy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:53 am

Just to amuse myself, I decided to google 'proof - Obama - Muslim' a few minutes ago.

I now share this comedy gold with NSG:

http://www.norcalblogs.com/gate/2010/09 ... aid-so.php

I particularly like the photograph caption purporting to show 'Senator Barack Obama ... campaigning for Raila Odinga, the radical Muslim who is attempting to overthrow the lawful government of Kenya'.

That would be the Born-Again Christian Raila Odinga, current Prime Minister of Kenya, whose attempt to 'overthrow the lawful government' consisted of disputing the result of the controversial 2007 Kenyan Presidential election, where he narrowly came second in the official count.

But much of it is hilarious if you need a laugh in the run-up to the debates; more seriously, it provided me with some useful insight in the mindset of people who just can't accept Obama's legitimacy.

I just feel vaguely unclean now.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 am

The Archregimancy wrote:Just to amuse myself, I decided to google 'proof - Obama - Muslim' a few minutes ago.

I particularly like the photograph caption purporting to show 'Senator Barack Obama ... campaigning for Raila Odinga, the radical Muslim who is attempting to overthrow the lawful government of Kenya'.

That would be the Born-Again Christian Raila Odinga, current Prime Minister of Kenya, whose attempt to 'overthrow the lawful government' consisted of disputing the result of the controversial 2007 Kenyan Presidential election, where he narrowly came second in the official count.

But much of it is hilarious if you need a laugh in the run-up to the debates; more seriously, it provided me with some useful insight in the mindset of people who just can't accept Obama's legitimacy.

And just think, these are the kinds of wingnuts that get national airplay in this country too.

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:58 am

The Archregimancy wrote:Just to amuse myself, I decided to google 'proof - Obama - Muslim' a few minutes ago.

I love how many times the article goes "Thats a lie," after quoting something Obama said- naturally they have no proof of their own that its a lie, because proof is not necessary in the conservative echo chamber.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 am

Ashmoria wrote:i roll my eyes at obama supporters who assume that romney will wither in the face of obama's superior debating skills BUT i cant help but hope for a series of misplaced zingers that will make romney look a bit crazy/senile. i guess its the SNL fan in me. i can see the skit in my minds eye.

I agree. If Romney were to just debate Obama, it would likely end in a draw.

OTOH, if Romney focuses on zingers, he stands a real chance of getting his ass kicked.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:09 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:i roll my eyes at obama supporters who assume that romney will wither in the face of obama's superior debating skills BUT i cant help but hope for a series of misplaced zingers that will make romney look a bit crazy/senile. i guess its the SNL fan in me. i can see the skit in my minds eye.

I agree. If Romney were to just debate Obama, it would likely end in a draw.

OTOH, if Romney focuses on zingers, he stands a real chance of getting his ass kicked.

I just remember my first thought when I heard that they were practicing 'zingers':

"Who the fuck says 'zingers' anymore?"
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:10 am

Wamitoria wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:I agree. If Romney were to just debate Obama, it would likely end in a draw.

I just remember my first thought when I heard that they were practicing 'zingers':

Captain America does. And if it is good enough for Steve Rogers, it damn well is good enough for you.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 am

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:I just remember my first thought when I heard that they were practicing 'zingers':

Captain America does.

But he's a product of the '40s. He has an excuse.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General