NATION

PASSWORD

The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you want to win?

President Barack Obama
42%
Governor Mitt Romney
18%
A third party candidate
18%
Who cares and/or I ain't American
7%
It doesn't matter as the Mods are gonna launch their coup any time now and I for one welcome our Modly overlords
14%

Total votes : 1009

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

<gapes>

So... in Mitt's America, abortion won't be safe, legal, and effective, but torture will be?

oh i wish you hadnt noticed that. now i feel a little sick.
whatever

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Revolutopia wrote:
Khadgar wrote:
Are they legally required to turn in all voter registration forms they get? Or are they generating these in house and turning them in? The latter makes no sense unless they're going to do absentee voter fraud using them.

I don't really know, I just found it funny in respects to how often Republicans cry about Acorn.

It's not the first time voter driver groups tied to the GOP got caught.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/13/448604 ... heart.html
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:50 pm

choosing between 20% flawed, and 100% wrong, is not difficult. i'm staying with obama.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:54 pm

so you see these political ads and you know something is wrong with them but you cant put your finger on it.

http://youtu.be/_HjDCHbtXHQ

mitt romney's ad trying to make up for the 47% thing.

its ...off. i, of course, objected to his stupid definition of compassion. but there was something more....

And then he says it.

"President Obama and I both care about poor and middle-class families. The difference is my policies will make things better for them."

Them.

Mitt Romney keeps talking about the people whose votes he needs as "them."

In the 47 percent video, it was "those people."

"I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives," Romney said.

But presidential elections are always about the grand national us. They are about we, the people. And when it come to a candidate, they are about me and you.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... em/262890/

he is talking about US but who is he talking TO? he's not talking to US because he says "them".

even when he is trying to make ammends he puts us on notice that we live in a whole seperate country from the romney's of the world.
whatever

Hollowed Victorious
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollowed Victorious » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:58 pm

i dont claim either party

just an American who wants his country debt free. :D
peoples judian liberation front................attack

peoples front of judiah
judiahan peoples front

well somone will attack you shortly

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Hollowed Victorious wrote:i dont claim either party

that is never going to happen.
whatever

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm

I wonder if they teach what debt is in high school economics.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 pm

I don't believe we'll be seeing that in our lifetime.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Norstal wrote:

I wonder if they teach what debt is in high school economics.

They didn't teach econ at my high school.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Norstal wrote:I wonder if they teach what debt is in high school economics.

They didn't teach econ at my high school.

This continues to depress me further.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Khadgar wrote:They didn't teach econ at my high school.

Really? I had to take a required Civics and Economics class. We covered the fed, debts vs deficits + the utility of debt, and other things.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Holy crap, I just saw a Gary Johnson ad (a take on Frankenstein playing to that political hipster ideal that the two major parties are the same)...they managed to get TV ad money...late afternoon tv...but still...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:34 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
Khadgar wrote:They didn't teach econ at my high school.

Really? I had to take a required Civics and Economics class. We covered the fed, debts vs deficits + the utility of debt, and other things.

I'm certain I never had it, and I don't recall there being a class for it at all.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Holy crap, I just saw a Gary Johnson ad (a take on Frankenstein playing to that political hipster ideal that the two major parties are the same)...they managed to get TV ad money...late afternoon tv...but still...

This is how I know Libertarians are not a serious party. If they were, they wouldn't be wasting money on a Presidential campaign that makes no difference, but would rather be building their party ranks by going after offices they can win. That ad was a waste of money. Extra stupid from the party of "fiscal responsibility".
Last edited by Jocabia on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Holy crap, I just saw a Gary Johnson ad (a take on Frankenstein playing to that political hipster ideal that the two major parties are the same)...they managed to get TV ad money...late afternoon tv...but still...

You get a bunch of college-age white boys together and they'll think they're writing the Daisy ad...

I saw that recently and it was possibly the dumbest political ad ever. And I've seen Michele Bachmann's "Muslim Brotherhood" ads.
Last edited by Wamitoria on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Jocabia wrote:

This is how I know Libertarians are not a serious party. If they were, they wouldn't be wasting money on a Presidential campaign that makes no difference, but would rather be building their party ranks by going after offices they can win. That ad was a waste of money. Extra stupid from the party of "fiscal responsibility".

The only part of the government that matters is the part they want to castrate. Apparently by magic.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Jocabia wrote:This is how I know Libertarians are not a serious party. If they were, they wouldn't be wasting money on a Presidential campaign that makes no difference, but would rather be building their party ranks by going after offices they can win. That ad was a waste of money. Extra stupid from the party of "fiscal responsibility".

The only part of the government that matters is the part they want to castrate. Apparently by magic.

Well, to be fair, there's more to the presidential race than the hail mary when 'third parties' run for presidency. Getting 15% of the vote opens them up for federal election money and status as a national party. Plus, since most people pay only attention to the presidential election each year their presidential candidates sell the brand. It's not like at this point Johnson or Stein think there's going to be one motherfucker of an October surprise and they'll become the main candidates, there's just a little bit of the game that has to be played here.

I'm kind of tired of posting it, but the Green Party has a list of all the local offices held by their members if you want to look it up, and there are a lot. I haven't been able to find one for the Libertarians.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Does it portray the two sides supporters as Zombies and have Johnson wearing a goofy peace symbol t-shirt with a tan suit coat? As I have only seen that one and it just made me laugh.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Revolutopia wrote:

Does it portray the two sides supporters as Zombies and have Johnson wearing a goofy peace symbol t-shirt with a tan suit coat? As I have only seen that one and it just made me laugh.

It is not, but seems of equal quality.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Revolutopia wrote:

It is not, but seems of equal quality.

Is Johnson's fashion sense as hilariously tacky in this ad? As that was the really enjoyable part about that ad.

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone heard about how Johnson is suing the Commission on Presidential Debates, DNC, and RNC in an anti-Trust lawsuit alleging they are in violation of the Sherman Act for being a monopoly and denying competition.

Now, does it any find it amusing that a Libertarian is suing a Private Organization in Federal Court to get himself forcibly included in the Presidential debate as ran by said private organization? Remember these are the same people who opposed the Civil Rights Act arguing the Federal Government had no right to force private organizations to serve minorities and other individuals that they didn't want at their organization.

edit: missed the date, so old news.
Last edited by Revolutopia on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Who is Tom Joad?

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Elect

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Revolutopia wrote:Additionally, I was wondering if anyone heard about how Johnson is suing the Commission on Presidential Debates, DNC, and RNC in an anti-Trust lawsuit alleging they are in violation of the Sherman Act for being a monopoly and denying competition.

I can't see how he's got a case, unless you want to consider politics a commercial endeavor.

Applying Sherman to areas outside of the economic marketplace would be really weird. I can see it now: "Congress takes up legislation to create an exemption to anti-trust for marriage, following a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that matrimony constitutes restraint of trade."
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:Additionally, I was wondering if anyone heard about how Johnson is suing the Commission on Presidential Debates, DNC, and RNC in an anti-Trust lawsuit alleging they are in violation of the Sherman Act for being a monopoly and denying competition.

I can't see how he's got a case, unless you want to consider politics a commercial endeavor.

Applying Sherman to areas outside of the economic marketplace would be really weird. I can see it now: "Congress takes up legislation to create an exemption to anti-trust for marriage, following a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that matrimony constitutes restraint of trade."

His argument is that it is a "restraint of trade" for denying competition to potentially receive the $400,000 annual presidential salary, according to Wiki.

Who is Tom Joad?

Quebec and Atlantic Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quebec and Atlantic Canada » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Some crap from a Super PAC promoting a "DEMS VOTING FOR ROMNEY wrap it up Obamailures" campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gzUhH3 ... r_embedded

It's pretty obviously full of shit, especially when the ladies start talking about how they voted straight Democratic up to 2008 (they don't mention Kerry, because no one cares about him), but they suddenly jump ship to R/R in 2012 because debt and JOBS JOBS JOBS (two of the right-wing's favorite talking points).

Silent Majority
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silent Majority » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Do people seriously have trouble sleeping because of the national debt?

If that's your biggest worry in life, I'd be more than happy to trade with ya.
“It is the ultimate irony of history that radical individualism serves as the ideological justification of the unconstrained power of what the large majority of individuals experience as a vast anonymous power, which, without any democratic public control, regulates their lives.”
― Slavoj Žižek

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Quebec and Atlantic Canada wrote:Some crap from a Super PAC promoting a "DEMS VOTING FOR ROMNEY wrap it up Obamailures" campaign:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6gzUhH3 ... r_embedded

It's pretty obviously full of shit, especially when the ladies start talking about how they voted straight Democratic up to 2008 (they don't mention Kerry, because no one cares about him), but they suddenly jump ship to R/R in 2012 because debt and JOBS JOBS JOBS (two of the right-wing's favorite talking points).

Judging by their previous attempts at this line of attack, I have a feeling that they're all secretly Republican staffers.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General