NATION

PASSWORD

The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Election

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who do you want to win?

President Barack Obama
42%
Governor Mitt Romney
18%
A third party candidate
18%
Who cares and/or I ain't American
7%
It doesn't matter as the Mods are gonna launch their coup any time now and I for one welcome our Modly overlords
14%

Total votes : 1009

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Not Safe For Work wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:If we're not allowed to call him "Mittens" or "Mitthead" or even "Willard" I think that perhaps inferring that his cock is the size of a down-quark is probably right out.

Well I wasn't actually doing that, per se. I was riffing on Mrs Romney's claims that her husband makes her laugh, and yet when pressed, she's not got one single anecdote that comes to mind. And the one incident she writes off as 'joking'... is him saying he doesn't know why plane windows don't open.

If he makes her laugh, but he's completely unfunny... what is he doing that makes her laugh? See?

Oh, ok. I'd just hate to see someone getting in trouble for noting the fact that his penis requires two Hubbles and a physicist to speculate the existence of.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Founded: Jul 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:38 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
Not Safe For Work wrote:
Well I wasn't actually doing that, per se. I was riffing on Mrs Romney's claims that her husband makes her laugh, and yet when pressed, she's not got one single anecdote that comes to mind. And the one incident she writes off as 'joking'... is him saying he doesn't know why plane windows don't open.

If he makes her laugh, but he's completely unfunny... what is he doing that makes her laugh? See?

Oh, ok. I'd just hate to see someone getting in trouble for noting the fact that his penis requires two Hubbles and a physicist to speculate the existence of.

Nah, if I was actually make political jokes about Mr Romney's intimate regions, I wouldn't actually target his penis. I'd use his complete lack of consistent positions to suggest that it was his testicles that are missing, presumed gone.
Beot or botneot, tath is the nestqoui.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Not Safe For Work wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Oh, ok. I'd just hate to see someone getting in trouble for noting the fact that his penis requires two Hubbles and a physicist to speculate the existence of.

Nah, if I was actually make political jokes about Mr Romney's intimate regions, I wouldn't actually target his penis. I'd use his complete lack of consistent positions to suggest that it was his testicles that are missing, presumed gone.

I believe we can confirm his prostate though, I'm given to understand that he's got a good view of it currently.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Jesus Christ NSFW, that flag is freaking me out.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:45 pm

United Dependencies wrote:Jesus Christ NSFW, that flag is freaking me out.

Hence it is an accurate, and useful, "War Face".

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:47 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Jesus Christ NSFW, that flag is freaking me out.

Hence it is an accurate, and useful, "War Face".

I guess it does scare me.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:48 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Hence it is an accurate, and useful, "War Face".

I guess it does scare me.

Now imagine me and my entire squad rushing at you with that on our face. Would you want to face that?

Just so you know, vote Obama.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Now imagine me and my entire squad rushing at you with that on our face. Would you want to face that?

Well, I was already committed to voting straight ticket democract, but now I'm extra committed.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:50 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Now imagine me and my entire squad rushing at you with that on our face. Would you want to face that?

Well, I was already committed to voting straight ticket democract, but now I'm extra committed.

NSFW's work is done then, I believe.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Romney doesn't understand economics as well as he thinks he does. I just looked at what he says is his tax plan, and it is scary.

He says that closing "loopholes" without adding new taxes on the middle class or the rich while cutting spending will balance everything.

So...this is your "plan", guv? You're going to...do nothing?

No, he's going to lower taxes 20% - I believe that's the amount - and close loopholes. That should occupy most of his first term. That should automatically lower the deficit because reducing the amount you take in as revenue always reduces the amount you're short on your bills.

its all going to be revenue neutral

by class

so that your tax rate will go down but so will your deductions so you will end up paying the same amount.

so vote for mitt for....better accounting?
whatever

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The 2012 Three Ring Circus AKA The US Presidential Elect

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:56 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Can you say that if companies that are operating for profit are suddenly asked to cut into their profit to pay for pollution, they won't in turn increase billing to maintain profit margin?

<dons economists cap>

They can't.

Simply put, business always charge what the market can bear. If I can raise prices to recapture profits Uncle Sam has just taxed away from me, then being a greedy capitalist bastard, what in the world prevented me from raising prices before Uncle Sam grabbed my loot, and just pocketing the difference?

Once you realize that businesses will always charge the revenue maximizing price for their goods because doing so will always maximize profits, it's easy to see why 99% of the common arguments given about the effects of wage and/or commodity and/or component price increases and/or taxation on consumer prices are basically bullshit. Nobody raises their prices because their workers just won a pay increase; nobody raises their prices because the cost of oil or glass or steel or plastic just went up; and nobody raises their prices because taxes on profits just went up. Why? Because if the market could bear said price increase, the businesses in question would already have raised their prices to begin with and pocketed the difference.

Now, in the long term, these things can have an effect on prices; but that's only because returns to investment determine where investment money goes. If labor and/or commodity and/or component prices go up, or taxes go up, that doesn't drive prices up; it cuts straight into profits. As a result, it affects each firm's decision to remain in business, expand, or shut down; it does this based on such factors as the net return to capital investment remaining after taxes are paid.

Consequently, prices only increase as a result of such factors if they cause business expansion to fall behind demand (or, in extreme cases, if they cause businesses to close their doors, resulting in supply contraction. Thus tax or cost increases that are modest and non-discriminatory generally have only a minimal effect on prices (indeed, in some cases, they can end up having no real effect at all).
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, he's going to lower taxes 20% - I believe that's the amount - and close loopholes. That should occupy most of his first term. That should automatically lower the deficit because reducing the amount you take in as revenue always reduces the amount you're short on your bills.

its all going to be revenue neutral

by class

so that your tax rate will go down but so will your deductions so you will end up paying the same amount.

so vote for mitt for....better accounting?

At least this lie is more transparent than the "tax cuts pay for themselves" mantra that so many others have chanted.

Edit: typo
Last edited by Wikkiwallana on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

The Emerald Dawn
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Emerald Dawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:Can you say that if companies that are operating for profit are suddenly asked to cut into their profit to pay for pollution, they won't in turn increase billing to maintain profit margin?

<dons economists cap>

They can't.

Simply put, business always charge what the market can bear. If I can raise prices to recapture profits Uncle Sam has just taxed away from me, then being a greedy capitalist bastard, what in the world prevented me from raising prices before Uncle Sam grabbed my loot, and just pocketing the difference?

Once you realize that businesses will always charge the revenue maximizing price for their goods because doing so will always maximize profits, it's easy to see why 99% of the common arguments given about the effects of wage and/or commodity and/or component price increases and/or taxation on consumer prices are basically bullshit. Nobody raises their prices because their workers just won a pay increase; nobody raises their prices because the cost of oil or glass or steel or plastic just went up; and nobody raises their prices because taxes on profits just went up. Why? Because if the market could bear said price increase, the businesses in question would already have raised their prices to begin with and pocketed the difference.

Now, in the long term, these things can have an effect on prices; but that's only because returns to investment determine where investment money goes. If labor and/or commodity and/or component prices go up, or taxes go up, that doesn't drive prices up; it cuts straight into profits. As a result, it affects each firm's decision to remain in business, expand, or shut down; it does this based on such factors as the net return to capital investment remaining after taxes are paid.

Consequently, prices only increase as a result of such factors if they cause business expansion to fall behind demand (or, in extreme cases, if they cause businesses to close their doors, resulting in supply contraction. Thus tax or cost increases that are modest and non-discriminatory generally have only a minimal effect on prices (indeed, in some cases, they can end up having no real effect at all).

See? That. That right there. He answered me without snark or demeaning me, and caused me to actually learn something. I can't argue against that other than to say that I think that there is always an option to charge more, the fear of losing the PR war stays their hands from digging TOO deep.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Zanzibarnia wrote:Which makes me idly wonder, since you brought up Limbaugh and all, if the above nightmare scenario does happen, what are the talking heads and pundits and blowhards going to do when there are no Democrats or leftists left in positions of power and influence to blame when things go wrong? Or are they even going to admit there's anything wrong in the first place?

"Those people who don't believe wholeheartedly in capitalism, those dissidents and malcontents who attack free enterprise by demanding higher wages and better working conditions - the Communists who oppose everything that is dear to America - they're the ones who are disrupting our society through their protests. Until leftism is banned in all forms and these agitators are in prison for life or shown the inside of a noose, America cannot prosper. To save this country we need to completely eradicate leftists and leftism NOW!!!"
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
By contrast, Mr. Romney’s advisers have privately urged him to “rescind and replace President Obama’s executive order” and permit secret “enhanced interrogation techniques against high-value detainees that are safe, legal and effective in generating intelligence to save American lives,” according to an internal Romney campaign memorandum.

<gapes>

So... in Mitt's America, abortion won't be safe, legal, and effective, but torture will be?

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

<gapes>

So... in Mitt's America, abortion won't be safe, legal, and effective, but torture will be?

All that means is just that it's going to be harder to get a safe, legal, and effective abortion... *nods*
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

<gapes>

I have doubts about the safety of torture.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:00 pm

The Emerald Dawn wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Well, I was already committed to voting straight ticket democract, but now I'm extra committed.

NSFW's work is done then, I believe.

I'm like a one man 'Get Out the Vote' campaign.

*nods*

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, I guess the Republicans were right about there be widespread cases of Voter Registration Fraud going on in Florida that needs to be cracked down on. Interesting through it seems like the charge is aimed at firm aligned with the Florida GOP and Romney campaign must be the results of dastardly Democrats in disguise.

http://www.salon.com/2012/09/26/fla_voter_fraud_charge_has_ties_to_romney/
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm

I don't trust that source at all, but the really alarming thing about the so-called "Voter Fraud" charges (none of which have ever actually made to trial) in Florida is that they send SWAT teams on 60-year-old black women because they may have voted by absentee twice.

ARMED SWAT TEAMS.

KICKING DOWN DOORS.

ON SENIOR CITIZENS.

If that's not obvious fear mongering (thanks to the criminal governor of Florida Rick Scott) I don't know what is.

Also note that these fraud charges are done with county officials, yet Rick Scott wants to ban third party registrars. :roll:
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Khadgar
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Khadgar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Revolutopia wrote:Well, I guess the Republicans were right about there be widespread cases of Voter Registration Fraud going on in Florida that needs to be cracked down on. Interesting through it seems like the charge is aimed at firm aligned with the Florida GOP and Romney campaign must be the results of dastardly Democrats in disguise.

Are they legally required to turn in all voter registration forms they get? Or are they generating these in house and turning them in? The latter makes no sense unless they're going to do absentee voter fraud using them.

Revolutopia
Negotiator

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Revolutopia » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Khadgar wrote:
Revolutopia wrote:Well, I guess the Republicans were right about there be widespread cases of Voter Registration Fraud going on in Florida that needs to be cracked down on. Interesting through it seems like the charge is aimed at firm aligned with the Florida GOP and Romney campaign must be the results of dastardly Democrats in disguise.

Are they legally required to turn in all voter registration forms they get? Or are they generating these in house and turning them in? The latter makes no sense unless they're going to do absentee voter fraud using them.

I don't really know, I just found it funny in respects to how often Republicans cry about Acorn.
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.-FDR

Economic Left/Right: -3.12|Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Who is Tom Joad?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Not Safe For Work wrote:
The Emerald Dawn wrote:How planes don't have windows that roll down.

Hey now, his wife already addressed that - Romney isn't incredibly ignorant, he's just got the sense of humor of a paint can.

i saw that clip.

he wasnt joking

at least as i understand joking.

he may have not meant it but he wasnt trying to be funny.

i dont know why he said it. i think it was to cover up his embarrassment at being still shook up that his wife had been in such danger.
whatever

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Well, seeing as the person works for the county elections board, they probably do have to turn everything in.
Last edited by Death Metal on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Not Safe For Work wrote:
Hey now, his wife already addressed that - Romney isn't incredibly ignorant, he's just got the sense of humor of a paint can.

i saw that clip.

he wasnt joking

at least as i understand joking.

he may have not meant it but he wasnt trying to be funny.

i dont know why he said it. i think it was to cover up his embarrassment at being still shook up that his wife had been in such danger.

Oh, absolutely - what I saw... not a joke. He seemed absolutely in earnest, even if he came across looking kind of silly.

I have no doubts that his wife was covering for him - he was, after all, looking silly while trying to 'protect' her, in some fashion.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General