NATION

PASSWORD

Fear of prosecution denies Australian women rights

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Re: Fear of prosecution denies Australian women rights

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Barfobulville wrote:
Triniteras wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:'Unnecessary abortion' means the mother's life is not endangered by the presence of the fetus.

All pregnancy endangers the mothers life to some degree. And people are not obligated to support another entity using their body.

You're right, it does. And no, they aren't.

I took it when you meant "unnecessary" to mean "medically unnecessary", as in, there's no immediate threat.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Triniteras
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Barfobulville wrote:You're right, it does. And no, they aren't.

Then you should stop stating otherwise, unless you are tying to make people who do think in such a way appear larger.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Galloism wrote:I took it when you meant "unnecessary" to mean "medically unnecessary", as in, there's no immediate threat.

I did mean 'medically unnecessary' as in, the doctor and the woman don't have to decide between her life and the baby's right now. Like, if the baby isn't out ASAP, the mother will die.

Triniteras wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:You're right, it does. And no, they aren't.

Then you should stop stating otherwise, unless you are tying to make people who do think in such a way appear larger.

Excuse me for being open-minded and capable of shifting my views based on new information. I know that's completely unheard of around here.

Triniteras
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Barfobulville wrote:Excuse me for being open-minded and capable of shifting my views based on new information. I know that's completely unheard of around here.

That's alright, your future from this point on will redeem you in terms of your effect on the world. I had thought you were implying you were just acting.
Last edited by Triniteras on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stovania
Lobbyist

Founded: May 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stovania » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:18 pm

truely pitiful, that even in this day and age a women can be denied the right to her own body by some religious wackjobs that somehow hold a seat in a country's government. point of this whole situation: religion and politics are two things that should never be in the same sentence. That and when will people learn to keep damn evangelicals out of our governments :palm:
Last edited by Stovania on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triniteras
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Stovania wrote:When will people learn to keep damn evangelicals out of our governments?

When they learn to keep tight control of their governments.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:22 pm

Stovania wrote:truely pitiful, that even in this day and age a women can be denied the right to her own body by some religious wackjobs that somehow hold a seat in a countries government. point of this whole situation: religion and politics are two things that should never be in the same sentence. That and when will people learn to keep damn evangelicals out of our governments :palm:

Well, technically, the whackjobs as you call them are placed into seats of power because people vote for them. People tend to try to vote for people they agree with. That would suggest that the people of Australia may be mostly whackjobs. The politicians are just representing the people who elected them, which is their job. (forgive me if Australian government doesn't work that way, I'm just guessing)

Triniteras
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Barfobulville wrote:That would suggest that the people of Australia may be mostly whackjobs.

A country consisting mostly of whackjobs. Are you afraid?
Last edited by Triniteras on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:35 pm

Triniteras wrote:A country consisting mostly of whackjobs. Are you afraid?

Not particularly. I take comfort in the fact that I am a regular civilian that is rarely truly affected by the workings of whackjobs in the seats of power around the world.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Triniteras wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:That would suggest that the people of Australia may be mostly whackjobs.

A country consisting mostly of whackjobs. Are you afraid?

I live in the United States of America. 8)
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:And in Australia your Constitution doesn't apply.

Any constitution is irrelevant we are bantering about what we think should be the law.

I don't think people with dark skin should have special rights, I don't think that men or women should have them either.

Since this would give women special rights, I believe it to be unfair and thus I am against it.

Saint Jade IV wrote:
If men don't want a baby, maybe believing the woman that she is on the pill is not the best option. Men can still wear a condom. Or engage in the many sex acts that don't result in potential pregnancy.

Condoms break, and women could have done the same to avoid pregnancy. You make an excellent point on why abortions should be illegal.
Saint Jade IV wrote:Consent to having sex is not consenting to have a child. Don't use babies as a club to beat "loose" women over the head with. It really shows how much you value human life.

Did I get everything guys?

You seem to value human life so much that you believe in making it so that women can go get a buy 5 get one free abortion punch card. Technically it's not a baby, but technically it's human life.

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:42 pm

Triniteras wrote:And people are not obligated to support another entity using their body.

So you are saying that child support should be illegal?

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:45 pm

Maximus Corporation wrote:Technically it's not a baby, but technically it's human life.

Technically, so is a blood stain. The cells are human (not canine, not elephantine...) and alive: not for long, but they could be preserved indefinitely on a Petri dish; are we obligated to do so, rather than deliberately killing "innocent human life" by mopping it up and throwing the paper towel in the toilet bowl?
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 pm

As wrong as abortion is, I don't think it should be outlawed, because that would infringe on a person's freedom. People shouldn't get them, but they can't be forced. I believe abortion should be strongly discouraged, and better alternatives supplied.

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:47 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Maximus Corporation wrote:Technically it's not a baby, but technically it's human life.

Technically, so is a blood stain. The cells are human (not canine, not elephantine...) and alive: not for long, but they could be preserved indefinitely on a Petri dish; are we obligated to do so, rather than deliberately killing "innocent human life" by mopping it up and throwing the paper towel in the toilet bowl?

Blood cells can form into a sentient being?

Triniteras
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Barfobulville wrote:Not particularly. I take comfort in the fact that I am a regular civilian that is rarely truly affected by the workings of whackjobs in the seats of power around the world.

At the moment maybe. So what? You pay taxes and engage in purchasing products which leads to trade that supports countries, "seats of power around the world", and their actions.
Maximus Corporation wrote:You seem to value human life so much that you believe in making it so that women can go get a buy 5 get one free abortion punch card. Technically it's not a baby, but technically it's human life.

No it's not, it's a bunch of cells.
Maximus Corporation wrote:So you are saying that child support should be illegal?

I am saying that it should be collective.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Maximus Corporation wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:

Blood cells can form into a sentient being?

Not all embryos or blastocysts or foetuses do that either. In fact, most are spontaneously aborted prior to the woman even knowing she is pregnant.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Hamilay
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamilay » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Triniteras wrote:And people are not obligated to support another entity using their body.

... since when have children been part of one's body?

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Triniteras wrote:No it's not, it's a bunch of cells.

You are flat wrong here. Human life is divided into stages by science, and one of those stages is a zygote.

Triniteras wrote:I am saying that it should be collective.

I agree with you completely...however most people who advocate for abortion rights deny that it should be and I enjoy poking holes in their reasoning.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 pm

Maximus Corporation wrote:Since this would give women special rights, I believe it to be unfair and thus I am against it.

The right to control the use of one's own body is a "special right"? Seriously?
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Child support is completely different to using someone's body without their consent, living off their tissue, using them as life support for 9 months.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Triniteras wrote:No it's not, it's a bunch of cells.

You are flat wrong here. Human life is divided into stages by science, and one of those stages is a zygote.

The life cycle is divided up into stages, but science doesn't really comment on the more philosophical question of when one should consider a developing embryo/fetus to be a human being.

Of course, it really doesn't matter in the end. It could be a full and complete human being from the moment the sperm hits the egg and it still wouldn't have the right to use the woman's body against her will.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:
Maximus Corporation wrote:Since this would give women special rights, I believe it to be unfair and thus I am against it.

The right to control the use of one's own body is a "special right"? Seriously?

Demp, how long have we been on NSG?

Really, it shouldn't surprise you anymore.

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:The right to control the use of one's own body is a "special right"? Seriously?

My argument, if you are keeping up, is that child support should not be enforced (as it requires someone to use their labor to support another life) so long as abortions are available on demand. Basically if one is given an 'opt-out' beyond condoms, pill, etc. then the other should as well.
Last edited by Maximus Corporation on Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Triniteras wrote:
Barfobulville wrote:Not particularly. I take comfort in the fact that I am a regular civilian that is rarely truly affected by the workings of whackjobs in the seats of power around the world.

At the moment maybe. So what? You pay taxes and engage in purchasing products which leads to trade that supports countries, "seats of power around the world", and their actions.

Even the whackjobs in my own government rarely affect me. And frankly, I don't live in a very strategic target area of the USA.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General