NATION

PASSWORD

Fear of prosecution denies Australian women rights

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Fear of prosecution denies Australian women rights

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:16 pm

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25578293-3102,00.html

Under Queensland law, it is still illegal to obtain an abortion except in cases of medical necessity. While this is the case, generally abortions are obtainable and the law is overlooked. However, it does seem that this will cease as more and more religious groups gain political influence. It makes me sad as a female and a human to see women denied the right to access a safe, effective and non-invasive method to obtain an abortion.
Last edited by Saint Jade IV on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Fighter4u
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Fear of prosecution denies Australian women rights

Postby Fighter4u » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:20 pm

Then why not start lobbying it to be over turned right now instead of waiting for the relgioious groups to gain power and stop that from happening?
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

About the U.S invading Canada.
New Manvir wrote:
greed and death wrote:Kill the commies, seize all banking assets.

Well, knowing America's sense of Geography, we'll have you guys marching into the Gulf of Mexico before you realize you've made a mistake.

Mallorea and Riva should resign.

MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

Jingoist Hippostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jingoist Hippostan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:28 pm

Fighter4u wrote:Then why not start lobbying it to be over turned right now instead of waiting for the relgioious groups to gain power and stop that from happening?

Lobbying takes way more effort than complaining on the internet.
I am a communist and a Nazi.

Fighter4u
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 11, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Fighter4u » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:35 pm

Too true. But then again would lobbing really do all that much if their isn't already a huge movement out their? Wouldn't it just have the same effect as whining on the net?
[violet] wrote:Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.

About the U.S invading Canada.
New Manvir wrote:
greed and death wrote:Kill the commies, seize all banking assets.

Well, knowing America's sense of Geography, we'll have you guys marching into the Gulf of Mexico before you realize you've made a mistake.

Mallorea and Riva should resign.

MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Fighter4u wrote:Then why not start lobbying it to be over turned right now instead of waiting for the relgioious groups to gain power and stop that from happening?

RU 486 is legal in Queensland. Many people, myself included have petitioned the government in Queensland to overturn the antiquated abortion laws and make it officially legal. Unfortunately, most people aren't motivated to change the status quo, as doctors haven't been prosecuted for providing abortions for years. However, more aware people know that as long as its criminality is codified in law, there is the potential for women to be persecuted by those who wish to hold their bodies to ransom.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 03, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:12 pm

Here's your problem: Religious groups aren't the only ones who want to stop abortion. There are also unaffiliated people who think unnecessary abortions (those being discussed here) are just that, unnecessary.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Barfobulville wrote:Here's your problem: Religious groups aren't the only ones who want to stop abortion. There are also unaffiliated people who think unnecessary abortions (those being discussed here) are just that, unnecessary.

And they have every right to think that. But they don't have a right to have those opinions enshrined in law. They have no right to claim authority over a woman's body.

Unfortunately, in Queensland, nobody seems to be motivated to change the law, and now we are seeing the consequences.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Is Queensland like the outback of the Outback? Sort of like the Bible Belt in the USA?
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote: They have no right to claim authority over a woman's body.

The woman has no right to claim authority over the baby's body.

Devil's advocate.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25578293-3102,00.html

Under Queensland law, it is still illegal to obtain an abortion except in cases of medical necessity. While this is the case, generally abortions are obtainable and the law is overlooked. However, it does seem that this will cease as more and more religious groups gain political influence. It makes me sad as a female and a human to see women denied the right to access a safe, effective and non-invasive method to obtain an abortion.

I'm pretty sure that the federal law says it is legal.

If this is so then Queensland law is already overruled.

As for "religious groups" gaining influence, you really shouldn't worry about it, we are not the US. We have a different mentality as well as a far lower regualr church attendence.

Of course it would be horrible if those religious groups influence in lobbying the government help out those living under the poverty line more as well as saying that the government should treat illegal immigrants with a bit more respect.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:And they have every right to think that. But they don't have a right to have those opinions enshrined in law. They have no right to claim authority over a woman's body.

Maybe she should have used protection?

That's usually the argument when men end up with kids they don't want from women who lie to trap them into 18 years of child support payments.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:28 pm

SaintB wrote:Is Queensland like the outback of the Outback? Sort of like the Bible Belt in the USA?

Banana benders have always been the odd one out, wouldn't really call it the Bible belt of Australia though.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:29 pm

SaintB wrote:Is Queensland like the outback of the Outback? Sort of like the Bible Belt in the USA?

Queensland is our very own redneck state. It's a thrilling experience living here. It's like the Bible belt, without the Bible. Same morals, just not overt religiosity.

82 Eridani
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby 82 Eridani » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Barfobulville wrote:The woman has no right to claim authority over the baby's body.
A foetus is not a baby.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:32 pm

82 Eridani wrote:A foetus is not a baby.

It will be.

Triniteras
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:34 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:Under Queensland law, it is still illegal to obtain an abortion except in cases of medical necessity. While this is the case, generally abortions are obtainable and the law is overlooked. However, it does seem that this will cease as more and more religious groups gain political influence.

This is why one must never compromise.
Barfobulville wrote:The woman has no right to claim authority over the baby's body.
Devil's advocate.

You are not obligated to have your body used to support the life of another entity.
Maximus Corporation wrote:Maybe she should have used protection?

Protections is not fail safe. And this is completely irrelevant.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Barfobulville wrote:
82 Eridani wrote:A foetus is not a baby.

It will be.

Just because something will be does not mean it is. A ball of amorphous cells with no cognitive functions or awareness is not a human being.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Triniteras wrote:You are not obligated to have your body used to support the life of another entity.

You aren't obligated per se, but it would be pretty cruel to let someone die just for your own convenience.

Maximus Corporation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maximus Corporation » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Triniteras wrote:Protections is not fail safe. And this is completely irrelevant.

No, actually it's not. She has a right to control her body away from sex or use protection if she doesn't want a kid. This is the same argument used to tell men they have to pay child support to kids they don't want and were lied to by the mother.

It's relevant because men do not have a right to opt out of parenthood and giving women that right and not men is an unequal protection under law.

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:40 pm

SaintB wrote:Just because something will be does not mean it is. A ball of amorphous cells with no cognitive functions or awareness is not a human being.

Well shucks, too bad that fetus couldn't take a shortcut past the amorphous ball stage. How inconsiderate of it.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25578293-3102,00.html

I'm pretty sure that the federal law says it is legal.

If this is so then Queensland law is already overruled.

As for "religious groups" gaining influence, you really shouldn't worry about it, we are not the US. We have a different mentality as well as a far lower regualr church attendence.

Of course it would be horrible if those religious groups influence in lobbying the government help out those living under the poverty line more as well as saying that the government should treat illegal immigrants with a bit more respect.

I am well aware of our apathy towards religion as a people. However, politically, due to Aussie attitudes like, "She'll be right mate" creating a politically apathetic population, religious groups are gaining ground in influencing policy.

Australian Parliamentary Library Website wrote:In each State and Territory, the law provides that the crime of unlawful abortion is punishable by lengthy periods of imprisonment. In Victoria the penalty is five years' imprisonment for both the woman and the abortionist and one year's imprisonment for supplying or procuring anything to assist. In New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory the penalty is ten years' imprisonment for the woman and the abortionist, and five years for supplying or procuring. In South Australia the penalty is life imprisonment for the woman and the abortionist, and three years for supplying or procuring. In the Northern Territory the penalty is seven years' imprisonment for all parties. In Tasmania the penalty for all involved is 21 years' imprisonment and/or a fine as determined by the court. In Queensland (and until recently in Western Australia) the penalty is seven years' imprisonment for the woman, 14 years for the abortionist, and three years for supplying or procuring. Changes to the law in Western Australia have replaced these penalties with a fine of $50 000 where the abortionist is a qualified medical practitioner, and a penalty of five years' imprisonment where the abortionist is not. A woman on whom an unlawful abortion is performed is no longer subject to any legal punishment in Western Australia.

So it is a crime in Queensland. Unless to save the life of the mother. Which is the issue at stake. Noone has been prosecuted for a good long time, so nobody saw a reason to change the law. Now it may be too late.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:52 pm

And thanks, guys for tearing into the anti-life arguments for me while I was researching Australian abortion law for BE!

:kiss: to all.

Triniteras
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Triniteras » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Barfobulville wrote:You aren't obligated per se, but it would be pretty cruel to let someone die just for your own convenience.

Perhaps "cruel", but not obligated.
Maximus Corporation wrote:No, actually it's not. She has a right to control her body away from sex or use protection if she doesn't want a kid.

So what? She is not obligated to support another entity through the use of her body.
Her "controlling her body" (abstaining from completely normal behaviors) is completely irrelevant.
Maximus Corporation wrote:This is the same argument used to tell men they have to pay child support to kids they don't want and were lied to by the mother.

If it's a problem, then you should be advocating for it to be handled collectively.
Last edited by Triniteras on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:I am well aware of our apathy towards religion as a people. However, politically, due to Aussie attitudes like, "She'll be right mate" creating a politically apathetic population, religious groups are gaining ground in influencing policy.

Which is why I doubt that they will get much influence, remember this is an old law not one that is being debated in the one house of Queensland's parliament.

Australian Parliamentary Library Website wrote:In each State and Territory, the law provides that the crime of unlawful abortion is punishable by lengthy periods of imprisonment. In Victoria the penalty is five years' imprisonment for both the woman and the abortionist and one year's imprisonment for supplying or procuring anything to assist. In New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory the penalty is ten years' imprisonment for the woman and the abortionist, and five years for supplying or procuring. In South Australia the penalty is life imprisonment for the woman and the abortionist, and three years for supplying or procuring. In the Northern Territory the penalty is seven years' imprisonment for all parties. In Tasmania the penalty for all involved is 21 years' imprisonment and/or a fine as determined by the court. In Queensland (and until recently in Western Australia) the penalty is seven years' imprisonment for the woman, 14 years for the abortionist, and three years for supplying or procuring. Changes to the law in Western Australia have replaced these penalties with a fine of $50 000 where the abortionist is a qualified medical practitioner, and a penalty of five years' imprisonment where the abortionist is not. A woman on whom an unlawful abortion is performed is no longer subject to any legal punishment in Western Australia.

So it is a crime in Queensland. Unless to save the life of the mother. Which is the issue at stake. Noone has been prosecuted for a good long time, so nobody saw a reason to change the law. Now it may be too late.

You should become a journalist.

It does say unlawful arbortion now is this when it is done by backstreet butchers? Or if one is a qualified doctor and uses correct procedure that it is not unlawful or may just even supply RU486 through prescription?

The case in front of the courts is not this but rather a woman did it on her own and used an illegal drug that was smuggled in to the country.

DBC26-Winner

Barfobulville
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Barfobulville » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:58 pm

Triniteras wrote:But not obligation.

Well, I don't know about you, but we humans generally take issue with cruelty and try to stop it. That's why the USA is in trouble about torture. That's why Sudan is in trouble for Darfur. That's why the Nazis were in trouble for the Holocaust. Etc.

Note: yes, that's right. I put abortion in the same category as torture and genocide.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General